Start by marking “Heat (87th Precinct #35)” as Want to Read:
Heat (87th Precinct #35)

Heat (87th Precinct #35)

The dead man lay reeking of alcohol. No forced entry...no visible wounds..an empty bottle of Seconal. It all added up to simple suicide. Or did it? There were too many unanswered questions in this setup for Detective Steve Carella's taste.
Hardcover, Large Print, 351 pages
Published July 31st 2006 by Thorndike Press (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heat

James Thane
Apr 16, 2015 James Thane rated it really liked it
As the title suggests, this installment in the 87th Precinct series takes place during a stifling heat wave that simply will not let up. The heat and humidity are torturing everyone as are the problems, both professional and personal, confronting the Precinct's detectives.

As the book opens, detectives Steve Carella and Bert Kling are called to a death scene. A woman has arrived home from a week-long trip to London to discover the body of her husband decomposing on the floor of their apartment. T
Skip
Jun 30, 2013 Skip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-detective
The murder mystery here was a little too predictable as an alcoholic is found dead of an apparently suicide by pills, except that he is deathly afraid of pills, there is a bolt-locked door, and the thermostat and pill bottle are wiped clean of prints. Also, a paroled murderer decides to get even with Detective Bert Kling after his daughter tells him she hates him for killing her mother. Meanwhile, Bert Kling is agonizing and obsessing over whether his beautiful wife, Augusta, is having an ...more
Lucie Novak
Nov 09, 2014 Lucie Novak rated it really liked it
I have read this before, years ago, age 17-20 we all read 87th Precict.
It is a thinly disguised New York, and fun to read.
Especially if you live in a communist country where police is something you despise!I like it now, too. Ed McBain ( here or under his other pen name Evan Hunter)writes well.
It was fun, well written, as good as I remembered it to be. I did not know he did film scenarios, too, very good ones.Hitchcock's Birds!
Marti
Apr 25, 2010 Marti rated it really liked it
Even before Evan Hunter--alias Ed McBain--died, I started collecting his 87th Precinct novels. He writes well, and tells a good story. Because the books are all about a certain group of policemen, there is that continuity--like a reunion with well known characters. In this one, there is a suicide--or is it a homicide, and Bert Kling's wife, the lovely Augusta, may be cheating on him.
L
May 29, 2016 L rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Friends, you are going to see a lot of these, only without reviews, most likely. I've recently stumbled onto Ed McBain's work and it's turning out to be like potato chips--I can't have just one. I like the stories. The characters are well drawn. The books are fast, well written, and continue to surprise me. Guilty pleasures, I suppose.
Maryann Moffit
Nov 13, 2016 Maryann Moffit rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Fairly good.

Made me feel empathy for the character, Kling. A little trouble following the flow about midway through but it cleared at about 75%.
Brian Richards
Sep 28, 2016 Brian Richards rated it really liked it
Classic McBain
Ed Thwaite
Sep 19, 2016 Ed Thwaite rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh

Strange unrelated events pop up. Disjointed flow. A a a a a a a a a a a a a
Gordon
Aug 03, 2015 Gordon rated it liked it
If you're wondering where the endless police shows on TV originated, here is the well-written progenitor. I enjoyed this book and its attendant Ice, but after I had devoured two other early works by Evan Hunter, the pseudonym of the writer who adopted another pseudonym to cover his prolific writing, I began to be a little suspect of the ways in which the precinct was captured (hard-working and under supported) and the surrounding Isola (NYC) is captured, a world in which the women are always ...more
Doris
Feb 04, 2013 Doris rated it liked it
I had read this before so the overall story was not new to me. I did enjoy the reread though, and was able to see a little deeper into the meanings behind some actions, since I knew the outcome.

This was not one of my favorites, though. It is a locked room mystery with only a couple of logical solutions.

The cast of characters is small, which is good, as it allows you to keep track of what is happening, but the sideline of Bert Kling's following his wife was not pleasant. It does show that not all
Rewan Tremethick
Feb 06, 2015 Rewan Tremethick rated it liked it
I enjoyed this novel, with its rich tapestry of 50's life and a murder with an intriguing detail. Some of the language and attitudes was a little uncomfortable, although right for the time. I would have given it for stars but I felt that by the end it was obvious that one of the plot lines was just there to fill space and add a bit of tension - I'd have preferred it if those pages were dedicated to adding more depth and puzzles to the main murder mystery. Having said all that, I am looking ...more
Kathleen
Sep 15, 2012 Kathleen rated it really liked it
I really like the 87th precinct series. Didn't know they actually made a serious out of it. Carella is an interesting character. This book took a supposed suicide and made it interesting, but a little too easy to figure out. I think I'll start with the first one to see how the characters develop. That would be "Cop Hater" 1956.
Cathy
May 25, 2012 Cathy rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, series, police
The murder mystery in this one was very good, but it had a side story about a conflict between two characters in the series I really like, so I didn't enjoy that part as much. But that's just my own emotional ties to the characters, it was certainly well written and realistic. Very well done, just not my favorite.
K
Oct 23, 2015 K rated it really liked it
I find McBain's series about the 87th precinct to be reliably enjoyable. As police procedurals and mysteries, they are consistently well done. This one was not as good as some of his many others in the series as I felt less invested in the mystery than usual, but the author gathered it up toward the end for a tidy finish. Still a fun, quick read.
Shirley Alvarez
Jan 07, 2016 Shirley Alvarez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HEAT

This one was hard to review because I'm a little mad with Mr. McBain. I understand his reasoning but I feel close to the 87th guys. Not gonna spoil it but was hard reading. Oh well on to next. I know all will work out.
Marty Leonard
Nov 08, 2014 Marty Leonard rated it liked it
I'm a latecomer to the 87th Precinct novels but am steadily working my way through them and enjoying them. The plots are slightly predictable but they are easy reading and the characters are likeable.
Susan
Feb 01, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing
Wow! This was a great read. A private story line along with a suicide/murder? mystery. I couldn't put it down.
Terry
Jan 03, 2013 Terry rated it really liked it
It's sad to see books either disappearing from our libraries or vanishing from the various databases because they are no longer read.
Christian
Aug 24, 2016 Christian rated it liked it
Three and a quarter? I don't know. There was too much going on in this one and I felt like two of the three main plots were left unresolved. Still, any McBain is better than no McBain.
Tsudy697
Aug 25, 2015 Tsudy697 rated it liked it
Not bad, I read someone's opinion that Ed McBain is their favorite crime novelist, he is good and the story was interesting but my favorite is Dennis Lehane.
Sue Batcheler
Sep 07, 2013 Sue Batcheler rated it really liked it
Got this as a cheapy from Amazon for Kindle but actually really enjoyed it and will look for some more.
LInda L
Mar 05, 2016 LInda L rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful 87th precinct mystery -- lots about Detective Kling in thsi one. A great character.
Gene Waldo
Gene Waldo rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
David Roberts
David Roberts rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2007
Penny
Penny rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2012
Darla Johnston
Darla Johnston rated it it was ok
May 19, 2015
Barbara Desmond
Barbara Desmond rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2014
Jennifer Mayes
Jennifer Mayes rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Tia
Tia rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2015
  • Candyland
  • The Devil in Her Way (Maureen Coughlin, #2)
  • Exes
  • Best European Fiction 2012
  • Blood and Thunder (Nathan Heller, #8)
  • The Bitch
  • Poetry, Tales and Selected Essays
  • A Detailed Man
  • The Water Cure
  • The Outcry
  • The Kill: A Hunt Country Suspense Novel
  • Swimming with the Dead (An Underwater Investigation Book 1)
  • Devil's Food (A Loretta Kovacs Thriller, #1)
  • Noble Cause, A
  • Chinatown Beat (A Detective Jack Yu Investigation #1)
  • Not Comin' Home to You
  • A Very Shitake Christmas (Shitake Mystery #1.5)
  • The Vanished
"Ed McBain" is one of the pen names of American author and screenwriter Salvatore Albert Lombino (1926 – 2005), who legally adopted the name Evan Hunter in 1952. While successful and well known as Evan Hunter, he was even better known as Ed McBain, a name he used for most of his crime fiction, beginning in 1956.

He also used the pen names John Abbott, Curt Cannon, Hunt Collins, Ezra Hannon, Dean Hu
More about Ed McBain...

87th Precinct (1 - 10 of 55 books)
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct #1)
  • The Mugger (87th Precinct #2)
  • The Pusher
  • The Con Man (87th Precinct, #4)
  • Killer's Choice (87th Precinct, #5)
  • Killer's Payoff (87th Precinct #6)
  • Killer's Wedge (87th Precinct #7)
  • Lady Killer (87th Precinct #8)
  • 'Til Death (87th Precinct, #9)
  • King's Ransom (87th Precinct #10)