Start by marking “Dear Deer: A Book of Homophones” as Want to Read:
Dear Deer: A Book of Homophones

Dear Deer: A Book of Homophones

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  860 ratings  ·  147 reviews
Clever Aunt Ant has just moved to the zoo. Speaking in homophones, she describes the quirky animal behavior she sees. There's the MOOSE who loved MOUSSE and ATE EIGHT bowls, and the WHALE who was ALLOWED to WAIL ALOUD--and that's just for starters.

This playful picture book introduces children to the richness of language through the concept of homophones. A romp through the
Published September 4th 2007 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Dear Deer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Deer

Fooling Ewe by Mike DemersMax's Words by Kate BanksAmelia Bedelia by Peggy ParishCdb! by William SteigDear Deer by Gene Barretta
Picture Books using Wordplay
5th out of 28 books — 21 voters
To Root, to Toot, to Parachute by Brian P. ClearyUnder, Over, by the Clover by Brian P. ClearyLazily, Crazily, Just a Bit Nasally by Brian P. ClearyPunctuation Takes a Vacation by Robin PulverPitch and Throw, Grasp and Know by Brian P. Cleary
Grammar Blast for Kids
23rd out of 32 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Peggy
The first time I read this one to my four-year-old we both ended up laughing so hard we could hardly breathe. It's a cool concept, teaching kids about homophones.... words that are spelled differently, have different meanings, but sound the same. The premise of the story is that Aunt Ant is writing to her nephew, Dear Deer, and giving him an update on all her neighbors and friends. Some of the words I had to explain to my son but by and large he got it. It was almost at the end when we got to th ...more
Amy
This is such a fun book for kids who are learning about homophones, or for kids who are learning to read. My niece and I spent some time with this book today, and we had a lot of fun comparing the words and discussing how interesting it was that words that sound alike could be spelled differently and have different meanings.

The text in this book is not too difficult, which I think really enables new readers (or spellers) to spend time studying the words and comparing and contrasting them. The pi
JustOneMoreBook.com
Fabulously friendly, humorous illustrations and silly tongue twisting text aside, who would have guessed that a book highlighting use, meanings and spellings of identically sounding words could be so fascinating to a seven year old reader? We didn’t, but it is.

You can listen in on our chat about this book on our Just One More Book! Children's Book Podcast.
Kelsi Watts
What a spectacular book for children in teaching homophones! I think that this is a super creative book in the it has great illustrations and easy to follow concepts for children to understand. There were so many great examples that had pictures to go along with them. I loved the colors that were used because it really made it a more lively book and more interesting to read. I loved that the book had all to do with different types of animals because animals are something that really interest chi ...more
Jennifer Amichia
This was ridiculously cute!!! I loved the homophones and creative rhyming scheme. Words I wouldn't have even thought of flood this book (i.e. you/ewe, him/hymn, feet/feat, etc). This book serves as a fun & interactive read aloud. Students can guess which two words are homophones and maybe even guess their spelling! This would even be a good go to book for vocabulary expansion while in writing centers. The pictures are colorful and engaging!
Barb
I loved this clever little book on homophones. This is geared to the early elementary grades but I'm teachers at the higher levels could use this as a fun and funny reminder for any age student. I liked the clever incorporation of so many homophones, the pictures are funny and will help cement the concepts into their little brains. Clever!
Deanna
This was such a good book for homonyms. It is very cute and easily appealing to children.
The reason I gave it 3 stars is because while the book offers a great lesson on homonyms, it does not go far past that. I think the story could be about something surrounding more culture and still keep its simplicity.
Jessica
I never thought learning about homophones could be so fun! This is a great book to teach kids the difference between this ant and that aunt. The fun part is that it doesn't just teach homophones, but even tells a story with all the homophones as this ant writes the letter to her dear Deer. It's so fun and even had me laughing out loud at some parts. The ewes in a daze and the gnus keeping to themselves were so funny, and the artwork was so fun and brought everything together. This is, in my opin ...more
April Voss
Aunt Ant writes a letter to Dear Deer about her experiences at the zoo. This book is packed with homophones. On every page there are a couple fun homophones to teach children. It isn't a book that you can read without smiling.
The artistic media used in this book is watercolors, which gives the pages a beautiful shiny effect. The illustrations are created in a fun cartoon fashion. This is something that makes learning about homophones silly and interesting for young children. Lines are used in
Kenia Lopez
Dear Deer was was great educational book, that teaches in a fun way about homophones, or words that are pronounced the same but have different meanings. Because english is my second language, this is a fun book for me to help me learn about english. I know children who are also learning how to spell and read in english, will find this a fun, illustrative learning experience that will teach them how to spell.

I would recommend this book for children ages 6-10.
Andressa
Such a darling way to teach kids homophones. I was even entertained by this book! By using zoo animals and their actions, the differences in spelling and usage of certain words becomes very apparent. The education is there without being too overbearing. This book is excellent for younger children just beginning to learn grammar, or for slightly older children who still struggle with spelling.
Lyndsey Franceschelli
In the book "Dear Dear" an ant is writing a letter to her nephew dear. I think this book is a great way to introduce homophones as each page has two sets of homophones on them. Also this book shows different animals that deer's aunt ant is watching when she moved to the zoo like "a monkey will tell you a tale as he hangs from his tail" or "the bear had to pause to bare his big paws."
Ashlee Moser
I would definitely use this in my class to teach how homophones.I thought the pictures also helped describe what was being said. It is a fun way for students to see how homophones work. I would probably use this as a opener for introducing the topic of homophones and ask if the students what they notice about the book and the words used in it.
Kathleen
Mar 28, 2014 Kathleen added it
Shelves: 50-books, grammar
This is a silly book about homophones. There isn't really a story line to it, but a deer and an ant write letters back and worth to each other. In a literacy class, I will use this book to teach homophones. I will use this story as a read aloud and have students listen to the different homophones and distinguish the difference between the words.
Matthew Triplett
This book is great for helping students to better understand the differences between homophones. I know people that spell words one way and meaning of the word means something else. Students will have a problem with homophones so this book is a fun way to help them learn. I think this book should be in the classroom.

-Matthew Triplett
Madison
This book is one I would love to have in my classroom! It is such a fun way to introduce homophones to young children. It's play on words is wonderful and fun. The illustrations play a lot into helping the students understand the difference in meaning even when the words sound exactly alike.
Brielle Bogenschutz
This book is so much fun! It's a super cute story and a great way for children to learn the homophones. The reason I only gave it a 4 star is because for children it may be a little bit confusing at times. Other than that its super cute and kept me entertained!
Frances
1. I really like this book the graphics are really awesome!
2. This is a wonderful story to introduce homophones to young children. This is February the end of the 3rd quater where most kindergarters are beginning to process word knowledge and meaning.
3.Although learning homopones is not apart of the AKS many of the upper grades have express that for many students homophones presents a challenge.

Extended Activity

I think that children love games, and a great time filler could be a homophone game.
Annette
I really enjoy reading this book to our Kindergarten to Grade 2 classes. They think it is hilarious, and like to repeat the words that sound the same. My favourite page is "The Doe kneaded the dough because she needed the dough".
Emilee
I thought that this was a really cute book. I think it is a great book to introduce children to homophones, or words that sound the same but are spelled and mean something different. I also really liked the illustration.
Rima Aroutiounian
May 27, 2014 Rima Aroutiounian added it
Shelves: 1
"Dear Deer" is a great book for vocabulary and language development. It is a book of homophones, which are words that sound the same but have different spellings and meaning. Great for preschoolers and kindergartners.
Ina
This is a wonderfully playful and imaginative book. After reading it, one will never again forget what a homophone might be! Aunt Ant, is writing a letter to her friend, Deer, about her new life at a zoo. Of course, she begins the letter "Dear Deer." The illustrations are wonderful and the the kids loved this book. I worried that it might not work as a read-aloud since it sounds like the reader is stuttering when reading about a fox that "blew blue bubbles." The pictures give the text more than ...more
Tamara
Very cute... There are a curious number of animal names that are homophones. Although, I do not pronounce aunt like ant. A good way to start to teach reading children homophones.
Alyssa
I liked how some of the artwork was sideways, it gave it variety. Children would think this book is so funny, and the art is a little silly. Good for teaching homophones.
Julianna
Lovely, lovely, lovely illustrations. This book is a great way to teach kids about homophones in a cute and clever way.
Maria
This book is absolutely great when it comes to teaching homophones. Every page is full of words that mean the same.
Janice Redding
I think this would be a good book to teach a lesson about homophones in the first grade. Homophones are words that sound the same, but are spelled differently. In the classroom, I can use this book to not only introduce a new topic, such as homophones, but I can use this book to read in small groups and ask questions like, "Can you name some examples of homophones that you noticed in the book? What are some examples of a homophone that was not listed in the book?" This is a great book to allow s ...more
Nicole Otting
Perfect for a homophones unit!!! Such a cute book.
Jasmine George
This book may reach for the older children such as first grade but it is a great introduction to homophones. I love how the author bolded each word that is a homophone. The book is colorful as well.

Learning Experiance:
For this book I will provide a list of words that have a homophone to them. The children will provide me a word that sounds exactly like the word i have provided for them. As they are giving me words, I will tell the children the difference between them and explain that some words
Beckie Coldiron
" Dear Deer" is a wonderful way to explore homophones with children of all ages! In this cute and entertaining book, children are definitely able to pick up on homophones. In fact, you can definitely incorporate this as a small group activity where children are working together to pin-point the homophones or you can make it a large group activity where everyone is participating by snapping, clapping or standing up when they hear a homophone. This will definitely be in my classroom library, and I ...more
  • Hairy, Scary, Ordinary: What Is an Adjective?
  • Punctuation Takes a Vacation
  • Doggone Dogs
  • How Big Is a Foot?
  • The Best Of Times
  • The Greedy Triangle
  • Eats, Shoots & Leaves: Why, Commas Really Do Make a Difference!
  • The Great Fuzz Frenzy
  • Hey, Little Ant
  • The Adventures of Taxi Dog
  • If the Shoe Fits
  • My Name Is Yoon
Gene Barretta is the author and illustrator of Now & Ben: The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin and Neo Leo: The Ageless Ideas of Leonardo da Vinci. He is also author and illustrator of Dear Deer, which was a Notable Children’s Book in the Language Arts and listed on the Parenting Magazine Mom-Tested Books of the Year List. He holds a B.F.A. in Film Studies from New York University, and h ...more
More about Gene Barretta...
Now & Ben: The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin Timeless Thomas: How Thomas Edison Changed Our Lives Neo Leo: The Ageless Ideas of Leonardo da Vinci Zoola Palooza: A Book of Homographs Jack the Tripper