Start by marking “Being Born” as Want to Read:
Being Born

Being Born

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  11 reviews
"A prominent childbirth educator and an award-winning medical photographer contribute a marvelous photo-documentary for parent-child sharing that evokes the magic, mystery, and wonder of human life--from conception to birth . . ".--Booklist, starred reivew. Full-color photos.
Published October 27th 1986 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Being Born, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Being Born

Maria Hagen
I loved the beauty of the pictures in this book. Some might say that they are not exactly child friendly, but I think that this would be an excellent book to share with a child once a child starts questioning where babies come from.
The pictures are photographs of fetuses are graceful, mysterious and contrast wonderfully with the black pages. The whole book celebrates the beauty and mystery of pregnancy and birth.
Almost any age could read this, and have it read to them. Since it is a very intima...more
Meredith
Being Born was written to be read with children who want to know where babies come from and how they were born. The story begins with the release of an egg and concludes with the baby breastfeeding minutes after its birth. The use of medical terms is kept to a minimum, and the ones included out of necessity are explained simply. It is illustrated with beautiful photographs from Lennart Nilsson author of A Child Is Born.

The book begins using second person "you" and then switches to third person...more
Amber
"Being Born" is a children's non-fiction book written by Sheila Kitzinger. This book is intended for children ages 7-11 or primary (P) readers. This book is about the miracle of life. It explains textually and visually what happens when a child is conceived and birthed. The entire nine month journey of a fetus is photographed. It is quite interesting. I have read a lot of parenting and birthing books. This book is pretty graphic but the language used is medical and technical and very precise. I...more
Betsy
Written by a well-known natural childbirth advocate, this book has amazing photographs of babies in utero and the words are geared towards elementary-aged children. There is a bit about how the baby gets in there, but it's very tastefully written and when I first read this book to my children they were preschoolers so I just simplified the wording and left that part out until they were a couple years older.

This book shows and explains how babies grow in their mother's tummy and has been a favor...more
Katrina
Possibly the most awesome book I could ever read to my daughter. I saw a copy of this in my midwives' office and obtained one for myself. It details the fetus' growth, from the time of conception to just after birth with scientific matter-of-fact yet loving text along with beautiful photos. I like to imagine that she can remember being in my belly and that's why she enjoys this book and why I enjoy it as well.
Christine
Good book to introduce kids to where babies come from. The story uses appropriate terms but does not use graphic pictures. The only pictures in the book are focused on the baby itself.

Although the photos now look dated, they are still very good and useful to give curious children answers.
Katie
Gorgeous photos and such simple and sweet prose. I almost cried, and I don't even have pregnancy hormones in me. This book would be a perfect way to explain pregnancy and birth to a young child who is about to have a new sibling.
bryan
This book has unbelievably vivid pictures that may help explain where babies come from to the correct age group.
DA B3AN K!NG
IF YOUR A TWIN YOUR SISTER OR BROTHER ARE CLOSE TOGETHER INSIDE YOUR MOTHERS BODY.
Rochelle
intended for kids.....
to scare the crap out of them!
K
I only wish we had read this earlier in my pregnancy.
Amy
Amy added it
Aug 28, 2014
Omar Zaki
Omar Zaki marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Jared Leaman
Jared Leaman marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Marta Lima
Marta Lima marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2013
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
May 19, 2013
Heather Neville
Heather Neville marked it as to-read
May 01, 2013
K. Bell
K. Bell marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2013
19661
Sheila Kitzinger M.B.E, M.Litt is a social anthropologist of birth and author of 24 books published internationally, most on the emotional journey through this major life experience. At Oxford in the 50s she discovered that the social anthropology of that time was almost entirely about men. She decided she would do research to discover what was important in women's lives, and focused on pregnancy,...more
More about Sheila Kitzinger...
The Complete Book of Pregnancy & Childbirth Homebirth: The Essential Guide to Giving Birth Outside of the Hospital Rediscovering Birth Birth Your Way The Year After Childbirth