Start by marking “Being Born” as Want to Read:
Being Born

Being Born

"A prominent childbirth educator and an award-winning medical photographer contribute a marvelous photo-documentary for parent-child sharing that evokes the magic, mystery, and wonder of human life--from conception to birth . . ".--Booklist, starred reivew. Full-color photos.
Published October 27th 1986 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Being Born, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Being Born

Alicia
Jan 31, 2017 Alicia rated it it was amazing
great pics, especially for kids. did use some advanced language you will need to decide to use or not fit your kids along the way ( I.e. hard penis)
Meredith
Feb 08, 2012 Meredith rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, pregnancy
Being Born was written to be read with children who want to know where babies come from and how they were born. The story begins with the release of an egg and concludes with the baby breastfeeding minutes after its birth. The use of medical terms is kept to a minimum, and the ones included out of necessity are explained simply. It is illustrated with beautiful photographs from Lennart Nilsson author of A Child Is Born.

The book begins using second person "you" and then switches to third person
Amber
Nov 19, 2012 Amber rated it really liked it
"Being Born" is a children's non-fiction book written by Sheila Kitzinger. This book is intended for children ages 7-11 or primary (P) readers. This book is about the miracle of life. It explains textually and visually what happens when a child is conceived and birthed. The entire nine month journey of a fetus is photographed. It is quite interesting. I have read a lot of parenting and birthing books. This book is pretty graphic but the language used is medical and technical and very precise. I ...more
Maria Hagen
Feb 28, 2014 Maria Hagen rated it really liked it
I loved the beauty of the pictures in this book. Some might say that they are not exactly child friendly, but I think that this would be an excellent book to share with a child once a child starts questioning where babies come from.
The pictures are photographs of fetuses are graceful, mysterious and contrast wonderfully with the black pages. The whole book celebrates the beauty and mystery of pregnancy and birth.
Almost any age could read this, and have it read to them. Since it is a very intima
Betsy
Written by a well-known natural childbirth advocate, this book has amazing photographs of babies in utero and the words are geared towards elementary-aged children. There is a bit about how the baby gets in there, but it's very tastefully written and when I first read this book to my children they were preschoolers so I just simplified the wording and left that part out until they were a couple years older.

This book shows and explains how babies grow in their mother's tummy and has been a favor
Katrina
Feb 21, 2009 Katrina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Possibly the most awesome book I could ever read to my daughter. I saw a copy of this in my midwives' office and obtained one for myself. It details the fetus' growth, from the time of conception to just after birth with scientific matter-of-fact yet loving text along with beautiful photos. I like to imagine that she can remember being in my belly and that's why she enjoys this book and why I enjoy it as well.
Christine
Nov 15, 2012 Christine rated it really liked it
Good book to introduce kids to where babies come from. The story uses appropriate terms but does not use graphic pictures. The only pictures in the book are focused on the baby itself.

Although the photos now look dated, they are still very good and useful to give curious children answers.
Katie
Gorgeous photos and such simple and sweet prose. I almost cried, and I don't even have pregnancy hormones in me. This book would be a perfect way to explain pregnancy and birth to a young child who is about to have a new sibling.
DA B3AN K!NG
IF YOUR A TWIN YOUR SISTER OR BROTHER ARE CLOSE TOGETHER INSIDE YOUR MOTHERS BODY.
bryan
Jun 01, 2010 bryan rated it liked it
This book has unbelievably vivid pictures that may help explain where babies come from to the correct age group.
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2008
Antonella
Antonella rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2012
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2015
Leabelle
Leabelle rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2012
Joan
Joan rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2012
Leighza
Leighza rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2007
Nadia
Nadia rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2017
Thea
Thea rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2011
April
April rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2008
Ashita Gooranah luchon
Ashita Gooranah luchon rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2013
Kelly L
Kelly L rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2010
Shannon Tullamarine
Shannon Tullamarine rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2013
Rita
Rita rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2015
Beverly
Beverly rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2012
A
A rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2014
Tom Hartmann
Tom Hartmann rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2015
Naomi
Naomi rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2012
Viola A
Viola A rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2013
Brandy
Brandy rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2013
19661
Sheila Kitzinger M.B.E, M.Litt is a social anthropologist of birth and author of 24 books published internationally, most on the emotional journey through this major life experience. At Oxford in the 50s she discovered that the social anthropology of that time was almost entirely about men. She decided she would do research to discover what was important in women's lives, and focused on pregnancy, ...more
More about Sheila Kitzinger...