Le Horla

Le Horla

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  940 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Peut-être parce qu'il la constatait dans sa famille et la pressentait en lui, peut-être aussi parce que l'époque est celle des grands aliénistes, de Charcot en particulier dont (quelques années avant Freud) il suivit assidûment les leçons à la Salpêtrière, Maupassant est le premier écrivain du XIXe siècle à avoir abordé de front le problème de la folie, non comme un délire...more
Mass Market Paperback, 277 pages
Published May 1st 1999 by Editions Gallimard (first published 1887)

To ask other readers questions about Le Horla, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le Horla

Ana Maria Rînceanu
Oh, syphilis, what a treasure you are! okay, now seriously can you imagine what it must be like for a person to suffer from hallucinations from an unknown cause?! In the period in which Guy de Maupassant wrote, people were starting to examine the human mind and body in order to interpret how we interact with the world around us and how to explain our existence, purpose through science. Before there was a conviction that God or fate gave us our bodies, our state of mind, everything, but now we be...more
Marius
Old-school horror story. It reminds me of 'The Double' by Dostoevsky.
Shawn
Great collection of one of my favorite stories (this edition has two previous versions Maupassant composed from different points of view, before settling on the final text) - it's interesting how the new understandings opened up by the sciences at the time (19th century - the actual scale of natural processes and our small scope in them and ability to understand them) can be interpreted by some in the culture as positive, while others like de Maupassant ("The Horla"), Ambrose Bierce ("The Damned...more
David Ceballos Correa
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I listened to the audio first, and followed up by reading through the print. It would have been a different experience if I'd flipped the two, because once I hit halfway I definitely wanted to "skip to the end." I almost always feel that way about horror stories, though. So much time and energy spent on describing something atmospheric or suspenseful and I just want to get on with it. That may say more about me than about the story.

As horror stories go (this is grouped with ghost stories, but t...more
Iris
A masterpiece of the spooky. A pioneer of the psychological freakout. The story takes the form of a diary, and after each creepy experience, the narrator ponders the nature of known unknowns and unknown unknowns (as Donald Rumsfeld put it in 2003). This is a short read, and a short experience for the narrator, as his descent from peace to madness unfolds over only four or five months. I listened to this as a French-language audiobook read by Michael Lonsdale, who is superb and subtle.
Melville House Publishing
This beautifully packaged series of classic novellas includes the works of Anton Chekhov, Colette, Henry James, Herman Melville, and Leo Tolstoy. These collectible editions are the first single-volume publications of these classic tales, offering a closer look at this underappreciated literary form and providing a fresh take on the world's most celebrated authors.
Eduardo
Le Horla est une histoire écrite par Guy de Maupassant sur un homme qui est tormenté par une être invisible dont il pense que l'on appele Horla. Cela étant invisible ne laisse pas le narrateur fais choises libres et rationnels.
Le narrateur pense plus tarde que les humains domestiqués les chevaux est donc le Horla va domestiquer l'homme, parce qu'il a lu que les Brasiliens ont été ayant les mêmes manisfestations que lui...
Dans sa folie, le narrateur brûle sa maison, mais le Horla n'est pas tué.
Le...more
Sebastien
A lot of these short stories are very psychological in nature and the writing is tip-top.

And any story or novel that involves going crazy, well, that's a big plus to me. Too bad Maupassant died so young, uh, from going crazy... but at least he wrote about it.
Heather Clitheroe
'The nights are feeding on my days.' What a great line.
Eman AlRaesi
Quand la fantasie et la réalité de me'langent, l'intellect et l'insanité, c'est Le Horla. Le narrateur est un home qui souffrie de folie, il habite dans la ville de Rouen, il aime cette ville, peut-être il y a des murs qui sont très beaux. Il mentionne les légendes de Normandié, il déteste les pilitiques, c'est évident, il pense que les politiques ne sont rien, les gens ne comprennent pas une chose, ils font ce que les politiciens disent, alors ils sont stupides. Le narrateur pense que la vie da...more
Nicola Mansfield
The Horla - 1887 (final version) - Fantastic piece of Gothic horror! I've read Maupassant before but this is my first time reading this story. A series of journal entries as a man tells how he is not feeling well. He takes various vacations, feels better but his illness always returns when he gets back home. He starts to believe he is going mad as his physical ailments lead to hallucinations and eventually he muses upon whether he is a rational man having hallucinations or simply a madman. Howev...more
Katsumi
This volume contains three stories: two versions of ‘The Horla’ from 1886 and 1887, and ‘Letter from a Madman’, first published in 1885. The two earlier stories work at the themes but only in the final version of ‘The Horla’ – presented here first – does Maupassant achieve a thoroughly satisfying telling.

Our unnamed narrator begins with unexplained mood swings: “Where do these mysterious influences come from that change our happiness into despondency and our confidence into distress?”
It is his d...more
Mitch
I'm not sure whose translation I read as it was an online version. I can confirm it is not the Charlotte Mandell translation as I compared opening paragraphs and the version I read was different. de Maupassant is heralded as a champion of the short story form, and this story proved an effective illustration of his prowess.

The story has some parallels to the short works of Dostoyevsky (The Dream of a Ridiculous Man, White Nights) dealing in first person with the neurotic madness of a protagonist...more
Mazel
Le narrateur mène une vie tranquille dans sa maison au bord de la Seine, en Normandie, lorsque d'étranges phénomènes commencent à se produire.

C'est la carafe d'eau sur sa table de nuit qui est bue, des objets qui disparaissent ou se brisent, une fleur cueillie par une main invisible...

Peu à peu, le narrateur acquiert la certitude qu'un être surnaturel et immatériel vit chez lui, se nourrit de ses provisions.

Pire encore, cet être, qu'il baptise le Horla, a tout pouvoir sur lui, un pouvoir gran...more
J
Not the first short story I've read about crazy people and the diaries they keep. The format of this story is similar to Gogol's "Diary of a Madman", in it's first person epistolary narrative (Is it epistolary if it is a diary?) through which we witness the sliding into madness. However wherein Gogal's Poprishchin isn't conscientious of his slipping sanity, the narrator of "The Horla" seems very self-aware, ambivalent, questioning and his lucid account of his transformation makes the reader also...more
Mallika Soni
Ummmmmm. Where should I begin? I just know that it is an amazing novella. The poignancy, the descriptions, the senses, the society and the world everything is described in this one. The kind of justification given for madness would make a "normal" human doubt his mental state. I think the novella subverts the so called normal society and its a great one. MUST READ.
Liza
All I could think about while reading this story is how mad Guy de Moupassant was. I say this because he died of syphilis. Perhaps he tried to describe his everyday madness by writing it down and turning it into a classic short story for the public to enjoy.
In my opinion, this book was not scary but rather a short analysis of his mental illness.

Damarys
Me gusto, creo que es una buena novela, corta y bien redactada que refleja exactamente el terror que siente el autor (a través de su personaje) a la locura, a la demencia, a la perdida de la conciencia que indudablemente va a terminar en el abrigo del suicidio como forma de escape.

El lenguaje ayuda mucho, es directo sin tanto adorno y rodeos, (lo cual ayuda mucho ya que mantiene ágil el hilo de la historia), el autor tiene una idea fija en la mente y sabe como imprimirla.

En cuanto a la trama, no...more
Lett'
Cette nouvelle, comme vous le savez traite le sujet de la folie. Le coté mystérieux de cette nouvelle est dans le fait que Maupassant est véritablement devenu fou avant la fin de sa vie.

Dans la nouvelle, la présence a un nom, donc on peut dire que le narrateur y croit vraiment. De plus, dans ce livre on décline entre le rationnel et l’irréel.

Cette fois-i, j’ais lu les deux versions et la lettre du fou, j’ai constaté que les deux différentes versions se ressemblaient fortement, jusqu’à la copie d...more
Tyler
The life of Guy De Maupassant, for me, is one of the deciding factors of why I bought this book. I find it intriguing that an author wrote short stories at three different times, all about a man supposedly gone insane, and they're incidentally seemingly reflective of the author's own downward spiral into madness.

The ending was slightly anti-climatic to my taste, but I found this novella entertaining. It seems to give you a glimpse into the state of mind Maupassant might have had while he was wr...more
Jose Gonzalez
Un relato magnífico y psicológicamente incisivo que, por su duración, se me ha presentado demasiado breve, como si se tratara del tráiler de una prometedora novela. Quizá ahí esté la clave de su exquisitez.
Te deja pensando.... no tiene final abierto pero igual es un cuento que te deja pensando en todas esas veces q sentiste un aire frío al lado tuyo.. sino sería El Horla...
Shubham Dabas
Brilliant! I could have given it 5 stars just for the first half of the second part when he proves how our reality is incomplete. An essential solipsist text.
Zei
Un récit certes captivant et riche en suspense, richement mouvementé et plein de grâce stylistique. Mais on sent qu'il est comme inachevé, il en manque des passages et la fin qui nous laisse sur notre faim.
Le style de journal intimes et les passage où le personnage s'adresse à lui même nous tourmentent et nous plongent avec lui dans son désarroi. Mais on est laissé d'un coup, sans prévenir, comme un invité dont l'hôte prend congé sans autre forme de procès et le plante là, tout à sa stupeur et s...more
Andrea Gastaldi
Interesante y sencillo de leer, te vas rápido :)
Nawel
First I was eager to discover how the story ends. The mystery and madness were hovering and I liked it (the same way I like all mystery stories). The author style is great and made me devour paragraph after paragraph. There was also this perfect description of places, moments, passives sensations... I don't know about the original version in french, but the translation was great, always the perfect words in their places.

But then, the end. It was poor, that's all I can say. For me it had to go m...more
Riem
vaguely terrifying
Sarita F. Juan
Fantaaaaastic book! My french teacher wanted me to read it since I'm 13 and I never listened to her. Until two weeks ago. My god, this novel is absolutely fantastic. I couldn't stop reading it (even at work uhum... which is okay since I work in a french school and Maupassant is a huuuuge french writer but still...!). Amazing book, I recommend it to people who like good writtings and fantasy. But please, read it in french!!
  • My Life
  • Mathilda
  • Les Diaboliques
  • The Eternal Husband
  • Hernani
Henri René Albert Guy de Maupassant was a popular 19th-century French writer. He is one of the fathers of the modern short story. A protege of Flaubert, Maupassant's short stories are characterized by their economy of style and their efficient effortless dénouement. He also wrote six short novels. A number of his stories often denote the futility of war and the innocent civilians who get crushed i...more
More about Guy de Maupassant...
Bel-Ami The Necklace and Other Short Stories Une vie Le Horla et autres nouvelles fantastiques Boule de Suif (21 contes)