Start by marking “Jabberwocky” as Want to Read:
Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

The story behind Lewis Carroll's masterpiece poem. You know how it ends, but you won't believe how it happens.
Published April 2nd 2011 by CreateSpace (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Jabberwocky, please sign up.

AllisonGoss45 I would assume so, since we've read The Looking Glass Wars, which I loved, but I still would like to know. Thanks!!

Ashley
Apr 30, 2011 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog
Originally reviewed on my blog, Books from Bleh to Basically Amazing.

Jabberwocky by Daniel Coleman is the story behind the well-beloved poem by Lewis Carrol of the same name. Full of nonsense words, valor and whimsy, the poem Jabberwocky tells of a boy who sets out to fight the might beast and who returns triumphant, bearing the head of the great monster. But the poem doesn't tell us anything about the boy, where he comes from or why he sets out to hunt the Jabberwock and Coleman uses this story
Maree
May 24, 2011 Maree rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK, I loved this book. The Jabberwocky poem was always kind of confusing to me and I love that Daniel was able to make some sense of it. I found the glossary in the back of the book quite helpful. I'm not that great at writing reviews. I like to read, not write, I leave that up to the great authors, which Daniel is a part of. I would just like to say that this is a great book and I am recommending it to all of my students. (I teach Junior High kids, I believe they would really enjoy it.)
Lindsay Paige
Title Thoughts:Well, duh. Of course it fits!
Cover Thoughts:Not crazy about it but I still like it. Sort of.
WARNINGS: None

It didn't take long for me to get caught up in the story. I was surprised at how much I throughly enjoyed it. I could picture everything easily. Although, I never could get a good image of the Jabberwocky in my head. One minute it looked like something and the next, it looked like something completely different. All in my head, of course. Not in the book.

Coleman definitely h
Shadow Stephens
May 21, 2011 Shadow Stephens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daniel Coleman has a brilliant take on Lewis Carroll’s poem, Jabberwocky. Bringing to life this story with characters you bond with, was ingenious. You feel, hear and see Tjaden’s world; the sense of family and unity of a small town. His best mate Ollie is everything you expect a young man to be. What he lacks for in size he makes up for in bravery and personality.
Tjaden enters The Academy and proves his valor when the formidable Jabberwocky takes his love, Elora. Of course his best mate is alo
Screenplaydiva
May 23, 2011 Screenplaydiva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve always been a fan of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll, but I must admit I didn’t know much about his poem Jabberwocky until reading Daniel Coleman’s novella. When I saw Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland last year, I was surprised by the appearance of a creature resembling a dragon which the characters referred to as a jabberwocky in the movie. I questioned, “There were dragons in Alice in Wonderland? I don’t remember this in the Disney cartoon!”

Jabberwocky (Lewis Carroll) is
Grace Krispy
Jun 03, 2011 Grace Krispy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daniel Coleman has created a fantasy story that brings the poem "Jabberwocky" to life for readers.

Each section of this novella begins with a stanza from the poem, and the events mirror the phrasing in the poem. Coleman masterfully weaves the phrasings and ideas into the fantasy storyline in such a way that truly makes it pop off the page. The characterization is strong and well-suited to the length of the story. The author also weaves in extra context from Carroll's classic in the form of a con
Liz
May 31, 2011 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a Lewis Carroll Fan. I do not say that, meaning that I've read Alice in Wonderland and think it's cool and hip and I like to argue about the various movies that have been put out about it. I say that because I read his complete works at a young age, including his word puzzles and such. We read Alice in Wonderland in a book club I was in and was mildly annoyed that I was the only one who understood all of the symbolism of it being a story about personal identity as one grows up and passes th ...more
Joanna Mugglin
Mar 01, 2014 Joanna Mugglin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely adored this book. Couldn't put it down.
It begins with Lewis Carroll's well-known poem, "Jabberwocky". The author, Daniel Coleman, then provides a captivating possible story behind the poem, taking it apart verse by verse. Cleverly, Coleman uses the unique words from the poem, making up what they mean. For example, in the poem, he uses the word "mome", which Coleman takes and says it is a shortened word for "from home".
The protagonist, Tjaden, longs to be invited to join the Elite,
E.A.
Apr 05, 2011 E.A. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Daniel Coleman takes Lewis Carroll's poem and gives it a life of its own while remaining true to the initial writings. JABBERWOCKY tells the story of a young man named Tjaden. His desire, beyond marrying his childhood sweetheart Elora, is to become an Elite. The Elites are the ultimate fighting force of the kingdom and Tjaden has a good chance of making a name for himself. Now throw in deception, action, mystery, true love, friendship, and not to mention the Jabberwocky itself and you will have ...more
Nancy
Apr 06, 2011 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had never read the poem, “Jabberwocky” before Daniel Coleman’s book. Or if I had, it must have been too confusing to stay in my memory for long. Being unfamiliar with the poem, I was only looking forward to an exciting, fun story. Coleman delivered such a story with plenty of room to spare! I was very pleasantly surprised, however, to find myself captivated by the poem itself as well as Coleman’s delightful interpretation of it. Full of witty dialogue and clever definitions, Jabberwocky is a t ...more
Apr 07, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Coleman does a great job of bringing this book together. I love how he introduces the original poem to the reader at the beginning of the book and then shares the stanza that pertains to a particular section at the head of it. Coleman's use of terminology works well with his story -- which, by the way, is very creative -- and helps to create the proper atmosphere. The explanation of terms found at the back of the book is very useful as well. Overall I'd have to say that I am quite impressed with ...more
Teri
Jul 14, 2014 Teri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2014
A friend loaned me his copy to read with the comment that I would thank him later. He was right. (Actually, he's just lucky he's getting his copy back, but when this is re-released I'll be purchasing one of my own. It's worth multiple reads.)

If you're a fan of Alice and all she encounters in Wonderland, don't miss this one. It's a thoroughly enjoyable back-story inspired by Lewis Carroll's creation, "Jabberwocky", a poem which appeared in "Through the Looking Glass". Very nicely thought out and
Maria Love
Jun 30, 2011 Maria Love rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I may be biased about this book since Jabberwocky has been my favorite poem ever since I had to memorize and recite it in my seventh grade English Lit class. This book was a great read and I would recommend you read the "glossary" at the end of the book first. I really enjoyed reading the back story of such an interesting poem.
Morgun Wolf
Apr 01, 2012 Morgun Wolf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The enjoyable tale of the story behind Lewis Carroll's poem about the Jabberwocky. Coleman weaves an enchanting story with likable characters, romance and adventure in a whimsical world using many fun new words.
Michelle
Jul 07, 2011 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely awesome! I would never have believed that such a great story could have come from the Jabberwocky poem. I was immediately drawn into the story and couldn't put it down! I wonder if Daniel Coleman's other Alice inspired work Hatter is as good?
Sarah Crabtree
Jul 21, 2011 Sarah Crabtree rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very smooth story~sooo enjoyed every single page!
Aeicha
Dec 25, 2011 Aeicha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read the complete and original review at Word Spelunking

Lewis Carroll’s Wonderland is an iconic world, so to write a story inspired by Carroll’s words and set in his iconic world, must be quite a daunting undertaking. But with Jabberwocky, Daniel Coleman as done just that, and he has done it brilliantly.

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!”
-Lewis Carroll

Based on the poem appearing in Carroll’s Through t
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
I really love the world that Carroll created when he penned down Alice in Wonderland. It's incredibly out there but holds tons of meaning, it's a story that requires thought without bogging you down. As a side thought, I hated Alice as a person. But that's not the point, the point is I really enjoy the world of Wonderland, so the thought of being able to see what another author thought about some of the Jabberwocky's origins as a monster is appealing to me and I can honestly say that I was not d ...more
Scott
Apr 05, 2011 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jabberwocky by Daniel Coleman is based off of Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll. Each chapter opens with a small segment of the original poem and is followed by Daniel's version of the events that are described. As a person who is not very familiar with the work of Lewis Carroll (outside of the movies based on it) the phrasing used was often very unfamiliar to me. There is a glossary in the back, but I think if it had been located in the front it would have helped me a little bit more.

The characters
Carl Nelson
Feb 21, 2012 Carl Nelson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First, a confession: I have not read Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland or Through the Looking Glass. I’ve seen the Disney movie, gone on the teacup ride and in the sixth grade our class had to memorize and recite the Jabberwocky poem, but that is limit of my experience.
My lack of knowledge into Mr. Carroll’s Wonderland, however, in no way diminished my enjoyment of Daniel Coleman’s Jabberwocky and Hatter. Coleman does an excellent job in his own right invoking a land of wonder. Carroll’s nonse
Juliette
Sep 25, 2011 Juliette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kids book...3 grade up.
The Jabberwocky has been my favorite poem since I was a kid (of course I bet a lot of people could say that) so I was wondering if this story could live up to expectations for me. Daniel Coleman did a really good job of taking the poem and turning it into a story. If you're ever thinking of reading the Alice books to your child, this would be a great place to start because it gets the reader used to the craziness that is Lewis Carrol.
I read The Annotated Alice about a yea
Eileen
Mar 08, 2012 Eileen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, I didn't have high hopes for this one, because I'm very touchy about people messing around with Lewis Carroll. I was nervous at the beginning, because the author didn't miss a single opportunity to throw in one of Carroll's neologisms (wabe, mome, Jubjub, Tweedle, etc.), and it got on my nerves, because it rang false. However, as it moved on, his style became a lot more natural, and I began enjoying the book much more.

I would probably call this a young adult book; it's got some great themes
Megan Abbatelli
May 17, 2012 Megan Abbatelli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been a lover of all things Alice after my father first read me Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I have since read every spin-off of the book. As well as anything remotely close or related to Alice in any way. I was very excited when I friend told me about this book. I couldn't wait to read it, and I finished it too soon! I may have read and re-read this book about 5 times over. I am always looking to expand my in-home library as well as my Kindle library with the nonsense books I love as ...more
Jaime
Aug 03, 2011 Jaime rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
I am hooked...good start...can't wait to read more...go to bed kids!! Ha ha ha ha

Wow Dan, you are an amazing author!! I am truly impressed!! Can't wait to read more from you!! Started before my Utah trip, came home & finished in 24 hours!!! This book was bold, brilliant, quirky, humorous & of course, my personal favorite, romance!! Loved Tjaden, our hero 'Jay'...fell in love w/ his passions & friends...becoming an Elite & loved Ollie;))
vvb
Jul 23, 2011 vvb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved how this story gives us more details on the various creatures that come from Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky poem.

In this novella the stanzas have their own fairy tale-like stories to reveal the mysteries behind each. The most interesting one of course was the story of the Jabberwock.

You will cheer for the hero and his lady love. And, you will boo the foe. But then, there is a twisty happening at the end where the foe is redefined.
Amber Argyle
Jan 01, 2012 Amber Argyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Those greatly endeared with Lewis Carroll’s whimsical tales would do well to pick up Jaberwocky by Daniel Coleman. In this expansion of the original poem, readers will discover meaning behind such terms as Bandersnatches and the TumTum tree. All told in a straightforward tale with a manxome twist.

~Amber Argyle
www.amberargyle.blogspot.com
Amanda
Apr 12, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful, whimsical, and incredibly imaginative take on the poem, Jabberwocky. I loved the way the author made sense of Carroll's nonsensical words and turns of phrase. He succeeded in turning the beloved poem into a novel about the lengths people (and creatures) will go to for the ones they love.
Amy
Sep 05, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
I picked this book up at the Wellsville Founders' Day celebration along with his other book Hatter. I have to admit that the cover art really grabbed and that is why I bought the books. After I read this book in two days, I had a second reason to buy the book. Totally loved the story and it grabbed me immediately and couldn't put it down until the end.
Tara
Jul 17, 2011 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This relatively short story is based on Lewis C's poem and it is a quick, fun read. I'm looking forward to reading the author's take on the Mad Hatter. I'd recommend this to any fan of Alice in Wonderland.
Ashley
Sep 21, 2011 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
So descriptive and fun. I think I have a whole new vocabulary now! Perfect companion to the next book--both of which I highly recommend.
Should I read? 2 8 Feb 25, 2012 09:02PM
  • Gears of Wonderland
  • Princess Alyss of Wonderland
  • Blackbird
  • Right Ascension
  • The Other Alice: The Story of Alice Liddell and Alice in Wonderland
  • Shadow of Stone (The Pendragon Chronicles, #2)
  • (Re)Visions: Alice
  • The Knight of Death: The Assassin Chronicles (The Red Cross of Gold #1)
  • Hilda - Snow White Revisited (Hilda the Wicked Witch #2)
  • The Fox
  • Night Birds' Reign (Dreamer's Cycle, #1)
  • The Second Ward
  • The Pocket Watch (The Trinity Saga, #1)
  • From Within
  • Young Lord of Khadora (Forgotten Legacy, #1)
  • Alice in Sunderland
  • The Gods of Dream
  • Spiderwork (Apocalypto, #2)
Daniel Coleman spends his time back and forth between two worlds - the fantastic world of Writing where happy endings are common, and the very real- life world of Firefighting where the outcomes are as varied as the emergencies.

A small farming town in northern Utah is his home, where he resides with his wife, 3 kids and an ever-changing menagerie.

Daniel is the co-host of the CREATE OR DIEpodcast
More about Daniel Coleman...