Start by marking “The Galaxy Primes” as Want to Read:
The Galaxy Primes

Read Book* *Different edition

The Galaxy Primes

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  457 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
They were four of the greatest minds in the Universe: Two men and two women, all Psionic Primes, lost in an experimental spaceship billions of parsecs from home. And as they mentally charted the cosmos to find their way back to Earth, their own loves and hates were as startling as the worlds they encountered... Here is E. E. Smith's classic science fiction novel -- one of ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The Galaxy Primes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Galaxy Primes

Derek
Dec 01, 2014 Derek rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: space-opera
It's as though some parsimonious editor carefully expunged the three or so pages of exposition that introduces the setting and terminology. From the first page, the reader is swimming in jargon about "Gunther", "Gunther First", "Prime", "Operator", and "Prime Operator" that is somehow important in how this all works but is entirely unexplained. If this is what Smith meant to present, then he had no fear of dropping the reader right into the deep end, to sink or swim.

From what I can determine, th
Roddy Williams
‘The ship was called the Pleiades, and it was Earth’s first starship. It could travel instantaneously to literally anywhere in the universe – but that was just the trouble with it. For there was absolutely no way of predicting where in the infinities of space it would reappear when it winked out of the Solar System, and no way of knowing how to return.
it’s crew was two men and two women, each a Psionic Prime with mind-powers unparalleled in Earth’s history. The tale of how they pitted their powe
Monica
Mar 20, 2009 Monica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ah, old fashioned scifi space opera! Typical of E.E. "Doc" Smith, his heros and heroines are gorgeous hunks of men and women with stupendous mind powers and Boy Scout codes of ethics, out to bring order to the unruly universe. Untypical of Smith, this story is not all that good. The plot does not thicken so much as confuse. The characters are invested in bringing order to the universe in a very odd way and for reasons that are not all that clear. I think he tried to create a "universe as a livin ...more
Julie Davis
Mark Nelson's latest for LibriVox. I'm not usually crazy about Doc Smith but I am a fan of Mark Nelson!

=======

3 chapters in, I'm giving up. Even Mark Nelson can't make me enjoy this book. :-)
Drew Perron
This is a weird book, you guys. Weird even by the standards of sixties science fiction, weird even in the career of E.E. "Doc" Smith. Which is not to say that it's a very good book, by either of those standards; but it pushes against the mores of time, place and genre in a way that's interesting if you're a weirdo like me, who views society through the lens of what kind of people get to be protagonists.

Having read a lot of Smith's pre-World War II work, I was surprised at how different The Galax
Anthony Succar
Jun 04, 2015 Anthony Succar rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This has got to be the WORST book i've ever read. Don't bother...a complete waste of time! To sum up my review, this book is just DUMB!
Steve
Oct 22, 2012 Steve rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
No likable characters. It's like every character is a Blackie duQuesne in personality. Ultimately in the service of Good, but still jerks.
Jon
Jan 09, 2015 Jon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Like other books by EE "Doc" Smith, The Galaxy Primes fails to please. The same points of contention I had with his other two novels that I've read, both in the Skylark series, are present here. The characters are excessively intelligent/powerful and seemingly can do no wrong, the plot speeds by without ever managing to fully develop any one portion, the dialogue ranges from verbosity to downright silly out-of-place phrases, and it simultaneously feels like a lot happened in the story while noth ...more
Jeff
Apr 21, 2015 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Two things always strike me whenever I pick up a book by the Doc: the primeval attitudes towards gender and the casual acceptance of the normality of smoking. This, being one of his later books, doesn't take quite such a dismissive attitude to the role and capabilities of women ... but there's still plenty of smoking! I surprise myself by how shocking I find it.

That aside, I've always found this book entertaining. It's a significant departure from his better known series, the Lensmen and Skylark
Bard Bloom
Feb 17, 2011 Bard Bloom rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I am quite fond of E.E. Smith's Skylark and Lensman books. I reread some of them recently, and had a blast.

Then I reread The Galaxy Primes. Oh, gods, but it's bad. I think it's Smith's attempt to write a romance, which is Smith's weakest literary point. The main characters are total Mary Sues: perfect of body and mind, godlike of power (viz. able to destroy planets with their psi powers), and, without exaggeration, the mightiest people in the whole galaxy and perhaps the whole universe.

An
Julia
Oct 26, 2008 Julia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julia by: Michael Ellsworth
Wow. Sometimes I forget that this stuff actually _is_ as badly written as I always make fun of it for being... And I start wondering how it got published and was popular, but then I remember that it was still pretty innovative to be talking about running around to other planets, so it doesn't really matter what you say about what was there, or how confused the author is about human relations, it would have seemed really cool. Though the imaginative bits actually read rather like someone writing ...more
Bill Phelps
Jan 10, 2012 Bill Phelps rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad representative from the "Golden Age" of Sci-Fi. Interesting that the challenge/antagonist is really the self in confronting a new technology: the good guys are their own bad guys.
Looking at this, I wonder if Smith intended the story to be about man's reaction as new technologies are discovered; the uncertainties, the immaturity, the self doubts that come when we encounter and need to adapt to new technologies.
Some of the character relations are dated, but in some ways this adds to the
Kate Stout
Nov 25, 2015 Kate Stout rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Old school sci-fi, with a lot of sexism. Spent while hanging in there, hoping that the story would pick up pace, but got bored.
Miles
Sep 09, 2010 Miles rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished, sf
Bad. I mean really bad. Couldn't finish it and wanted back the time I put into it sort of bad, plus I would've thrown the book if I hadn't been reading it in electronic format. Unlikable, perfect, super-powered cardboard characters travel space at random for no very good reason. Reads like a cross between the Gor novels and a Flash Gordon serial, taking some of the worst from both. Needless to say, not recommended.
Simon Ford
Feb 03, 2013 Simon Ford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A rip roaring blast from the past, pre PC and all that entails.

Pure GOLDEN AGE space opera, as camp as a row of tents, a boys own adventure where men are MEN and the women don't wear much, has not moved with the times but who the hell cares, it's still a rollicking good story.
Frode
Jan 28, 2012 Frode rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haven't read a "Doc" Smith in quite a while, but I liked it. Technical, dated, interesting characters and a fertile mind, and still a lot of fun.
Lindsay
Jun 15, 2011 Lindsay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, kindle, z2011
This didn't really go anywhere and the characters were pretty two dimensional. Reading this was a way to spend the time more than anything.
Peter
Old school Space Opera series written by the doyen of space opera writes - style and content a bit dated now but still an ok read
Stephen Hampshire
Mar 12, 2010 Stephen Hampshire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every single one of his books is the same (and they are all equally preposterous), but that must be part of the charm.
Stephen Hampshire
Bruce
Nov 30, 2012 Bruce rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
As space operas go, this one is pretty bad. Cardboard characters and no sense of danger or intrigue.
David
David marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Lemonpop
Lemonpop is currently reading it
Aug 23, 2016
Mark Phillips
Mark Phillips rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Kellyann Greaves
Kellyann Greaves rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Rob Hobart
Rob Hobart rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2016
Emil
Emil rated it did not like it
Aug 24, 2016
David C.
David C. rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2016
José Martins
José Martins marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Philip
Philip rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2016
  • The Dragon Lensman (Second Stage Lensman Trilogy, #1)
  • The Beast
  • The Dragon Masters
  • Dark Side of the Earth
  • Derai (Dumarest of Terra, #2)
  • Pilgrimage to Earth
  • Sea Siege
  • The Whole Man
  • Close to Critical (Mesklin, #2)
  • Hung Out
  • Tunnel Through Time
  • The Telzey Toy And Other Stories (Telzey Amberdon, Book 2)
  • Star Hunters
  • The Halcyon Drift (Hooded Swan, #1)
  • House of Zeor
  • Brain Twister
Edward Elmer Smith (also E. E. Smith, E. E. Smith, Ph.D., E. E. "Doc" Smith, Doc Smith, "Skylark" Smith, or—to his family—Ted), was an American food engineer (specializing in doughnut and pastry mixes) and an early science fiction author, best known for the Lensman and Skylark series. He is sometimes called the father of space opera.
More about E.E. "Doc" Smith...