Start by marking “The Sacketts” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Sacketts
Louis L'Amour

The Sacketts (The Sacketts #8)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  4,348 ratings  ·  128 reviews
A drifter by circumstance, William Tell Sackett hungered for a place he couldn’t name but knew he had to find. South of the Tetons, through a keyhole pass, he found it: a lonely yet beautiful valley—with a fortune in gold. Then he found an even greater treasure: Ange Kerry, a courageous and resourceful woman. But the harsh ways it takes to protect his claim—and their lives ...more
Published (first published 1961)

Steve Sckenda
May 09, 2015 Steve Sckenda rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Westerns
”Trouble just naturally seemed to latch onto me and hang on with all its teeth.” William Tell Sackett likes to be left alone. Lean and gangling, he’s peaceful, until riled. Most of his life he’s been“lighting a shuck” but, when trouble comes, he get’s biblical and “smites it hip and thigh.”

Like his creator, Louis L’Amour, William Tell Sacket is “a wandering man.” Tell fought for the Union in the Civil War, drove cattle to Montana, and now, hungering for a strange country, he’s looking to settle
Dirk Grobbelaar

"Mister," I said, "if you ain't any slicker with that pistol than you were with that bottom deal, you'd better not have at it."
Trouble was, he wouldn't be content with one mistake, he had to make two; so he had at it, and they buried him out west of town where men were buried who die by the gun.

So I’d finished The Daybreakers and immediately started on Sackett. The events depicted here take place shortly after the events of The Daybreakers, but the two books don’t have so much bearing on one ano
Jacob Proffitt
This was the weakest Sackett tale so far. Tell is pretty awesome, so it isn't the hero (he has a subtle sense of humor that I found particularly engaging). Mostly, it's a weak story. It takes most of the first third to develop a recognizable through-line, though you can see in retrospect some aspects of that beginning that penetrate or resonate by the end.

But even once the story got started, it was a relatively weak one. I mean, putting a (mostly) peaceful town together around a gold strike is a
Jennifer Hooker
My grandfather was the biggest Louis L'Amour fan I've ever heard of. He passed away a few years ago and that's when I decided it was time to see what all the fuss was about. I must say that for my first Louis L'Amour book I was pleasantly surprised. The writing style was nothing special but I've seen worse. The plot was simple and short, which made it a fun, quick read. What I loved most, however, was the characters and how you can feel L'Amour's passion for the old west through his writing. Sac ...more
Gerald Kinro
Drifter Tom Sackett comes home, wishing to settle down. He has, however, shot one of the notorious Bigelow brothers, and they are bent on revenge. He moves on and finds gold while spending time in a cave. Gold brings more attention to him, including that from the Bigelows. Typical of Lamour’s books a showdown ensues.

This book is full of action as Lamour paints a vivid picture of the characters and the scenes in which they work and play in. Highly recommended.
An Odd1
ISBN from 1980
In a hidden valley south of the Tetons, narrator William Tell Sackett finds gold, and starving orphan Ange Kerry. He does what needs to be done, but the innocent has never seen a man shot. Brothers Tye and Orrin with faithful sidekick Cap come on board. "Any man can shoot a gun .. What counts is how you stand up when somebody's shooting back" p 188.

"Trouble just naturally seemed to latch onto me and hang on with all its teeth" p 201. He pea
Taylor Sutton
When my father was my age, his favorite books to read were the classic stories of Louis L’amour. He loved those books, and still does today. So, when he heard about this assignment, he suggested that I give his favorite one, Sackett, a try. I’m really glad I did. My interest in the setting of the story combined with the historical fiction made for a great read.
First of all, Sackett is a wonderful book about the life and times of a man in the Wild West. The main character, Tell Sackett, experienc
I must admit I’m not a big Western reader. I think the American West is an amazing chapter in our history: unique in the world, fascinating in its tough ideals, and interesting in the squabbles between the American Indian and the white American cowboy.

The last Louis L ’Amour book I read was “Haunted Mesa” which I enjoyed because of its science fiction elements. But I digress!

I’ve heard of the Sackett novels of course but never read them. Picked this copy up at a half-price store and was certain
Jennifer Hughes
First Louis L'Amour book...lots of fun. There is something very satisfying about reading something that you have a pretty good idea what it's going to be about, and then you pick it up and it's a fun and easy read and it met all of your expectations.

It's just like sitting down to a John Wayne know what you're in for even if you don't know the specifics of that movie. There's going to be a lot of shootouts and the bad guys are going to lose and the hero gets the girl. This book was r
Sackett finds himself being chased by forty men as he looks for his wife's killer. With everything they own in their wagon, Sackett and his wife Ange are going west to start a new life together. While finding a trail , Sackett finds himself falling 600 feet down a steep cliff into the water. When he finally pulls himself out, he discovers that he has been shot!

He pulls himself out of the river and finds a hiding place to try and recover. While undercover he hears two men that are searching for
#8 in the Sackett series (#1 in publication order). William Tell Sackett, the older brother of Orrin and Tyrel, has been on a trail drive to Montana. While there he gets news of his mother living with his brothers in Mora, NM Territory and resolves to visit. Passing through the San Juan Mountains of Colorado he follows and old trail and finds a gold mine started by Spanish explorers.

Sackett Titles #8 - Hard circumstances had made William Tell Sackett a drifter, but now he hungered for a place he
"But the fact of the matter is, no man can shape his life according to woman's thinking. Nor should any woman try to influence a man toward her way. There must be give and take between them, but when a man faces a man's problems he has to face them a man's way." Don't we do just about everything different from this in our country? I love most of the wisdom of Louis L'amour.
Gotta love the Sackett men. I seriously harbored fantasies about marrying a "Sackett" type guy when I was young. Studliness, savvy, and wicked wit at its best with these guys.
Nancy Hartill
Upon recommendation of my brother in law who read 5 in the series, I raced thru this in a day and 1/2. It was fun to read about this upstanding guy who wanted to be a better reader, learning the law of the land from a book, and passing on excerpts from the book to impress those with less understanding of the law. All Sacket wants to do is to bring out a little gold from a mining claim without too much attention, but as nature has it, others are hot on his trail, but he finds a lovely girl in the ...more
Micah Weatherl
Ok, so honestly, all of us are greedy. When Tyrel discovers an old abandoned mine full of all the gold and more a man could want, he decides to build a town nearby. This made the book very interesting to me because all of us have that desire to be filthy rich. However, even though Tyrel has all of the gold he wants he is not greedy and stuck up. He always seems to attract trouble though and with all of the gold he has found more is bound to follow him. I enjoyed this western book because of its ...more
Sheldon Bass
L'Amour has a knack for creating characters every man dreams of being or at least knowing personally. Though my tastes have matured and mellowed over the years, as a very young man I was infatuated with all the Sacketts, even the sister, Echo Sackett, who was definitely one to ride the river with. In my late teens to early twenties I read every L'Amore book I could get my hands on and Sackett was probably the best. The easy country style in which he writes the book sets the tone for enthralling ...more
This was another old PB I found when I dusted my bookshelves at home. The cover and the summary does not match, and I don't know why it is listed as No. 6, when it should be at least 2 probably 1, since this is where Louis L'Amour started the Sackett family series, or it could be The Daybreakers, which I do not have. Currently skimming it before I write my review.
Is there a way in GoodReads where I can scan my book cover and post it, like my avatar? Anybody who knows how, please e-mail me robtur
Another excellent story by L'Amour about the type of men who settled the west. After the Civil War he drifted west working anything from cattle drives to riverboats. After killing a man who tried to kill him he decided it was time to try to improve his life. On his way down to New Mexico to visit his brothers (see Daybreakers) he stumbles on a rich vein of gold. After talking to his brothers he and Cap Rountree get the supplies together to mine that gold. With gold being one of those things that ...more
Steven Brandt (Audiobook-Heaven)
William Tell Sackett, while riding through the mountains, discovers an old, abandoned gold mine. Better yet, he finds that there is still a rich vein in the mine just waiting for someone to dig it out. Tell knows he can’t carry all the gold out now, so he takes just enough to buy some mining equipment and heads down to Mora, New Mexico where his brothers, Orrin and Tyrel, have built a ranch.

Tell knows that riding into town with that much gold is bound to draw attention, and he is not wrong. It s
Mark Stevens
Tell Sackett is a “homely man.” There is “no getting around it,” as he admits. “Over-tall and mighty little meat, with a big-boned face like a wedge. There was an old scar on my cheekbone from a cutting scrape in New Orleans. My shoulders were heavy with muscle, but a mite stooped. In my wore-out army shirt and cow-country jeans I didn’t come to much.” '

But Tell Sacket, like many L’Amour characters, has principles and heart and a willingness to get tough and fight when the time is right. “Sacket
Hayley Shaver
I liked this book, although overall, this book wasn't L'Amour's best. Tell Sackett is a tough man just off a stint of cowhand. He finds gold in the mountain and a girl in peril of her life. Can he keep the gold and the girl without getting shot dead? If you like westerns, this book is a good one to read. L'Amour is one of the best western writers I have read.
After discovering gold in a long forgotten cave, William Tell Sackett must stake a claim on his find while also distracting and dealing with some unsavory men hot on his tail. Sackett's action-packed showdowns and methods of survival will drawn many Western lovers in, but the detailed descriptions of the rural Western frontier was enough to make me want to pack up and head West in pursuit of a simpler time.
David Rasner
"Any man can shoot a gun .. What counts is how you stand up when somebody's shooting back". In a hidden valley south of the Tetons, narrator William Tell Sackett finds gold, and starving orphan Ange Kerry. He does what needs to be done, but the innocent has never seen a man shot. Brothers Tye and Orrin with faithful sidekick Cap come on board.
Never read any Louis L'Amour before, or any westerns for that matter. While I found the Yosemite Sam narration a bit tedious at first the story was an old fashioned adventure that I really enjoyed. The 12 year old boy in me loved it - gun fights, a gold mine and a beautiful girl- what's not to like? Might have to read some more!
Ralph Blackburn
Often Copied- Never Matched

L'Amour's immutable style wins the day in this tale of hard men heading for an equally hard reckoning. Tell Sackett stands tall in the saddle and lives by a strict code that does not forgive fools, but honors the unfortunate. One of the best in the series!
Jordan McPeek
Took the folks on a roadtrip to attend a funeral. Found this at the library and knowing L'Amour is Dad's favourite author I figured he'd give it a try. A good read full of various trials and tribulations that were always overcome. Lots of philosophizing about hard work and standing up for the right thing.
The author has excellent prose, as usual, very descriptive of the country side by the Teton Mountains. The characters are well defined. The plot is well thought and presented. Sometimes I felt like I was climbing up the mountain. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in a good western.
Louis L'Amour's stories are often simple and his characters like to talk in monologue but he's known as America's storyteller for good reason, he knows how to spin a good yarn. This is one of the books in the Sackett series that follows the Sackett clan through numerous generations.
This should be book #7. It starts up were The Daybreakers book #6 left off.

Tell Sackett is the elder brother of Tyrel and Orine Sackett from the previous book and he wants to make himself a living. This is Tell's story and it was a good one. I enjoyed this book and it was a quick read (only 151 pages).

Looks like there is a TV movie depicting the three brothers story's. Can't wait to check it out!
My Grandma liked Louis L'Amour, so when I saw it in the library I thought I'd give it a shot. I really enjoyed it! I like his cowboy logic and humor and it was a fun read. I'd definitely try another one. You gotta love a Western. I think cowboys are all romantics at heart. :)
  • The Spirit of the Border
  • The Shootist
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • Ambush of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #31)
  • Texas! (Wagons West, #5)
  • Shane
  • The Bounty Hunters
More about Louis L'Amour...

The Sacketts (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Sackett's Land
  • Lando
  • Mojave Crossing
  • The Sackett Brand
  • The Sky-Liners

“Well, I've often been wrong, but this time I was right and they had to pay mind to me or bury me, and mine is a breed that dies hard.” 0 likes
“lighting a shuck.” 0 likes