Blank-133x176
The Sacketts

Louis L'Amour

The Sacketts (The Sacketts #7)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  3,446 ratings  ·  97 reviews
"Any man can shoot a gun .. What counts is how you stand up when somebody's shooting back". In a hidden valley south of the Tetons, narrator William Tell Sackett finds gold, and starving orphan Ange Kerry. He does what needs to be done, but the innocent has never seen a man shot. Brothers Tye and Orrin with faithful sidekick Cap come on board.
Published (first published 1961)

sckenda
Mar 09, 2014 sckenda rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Westerns
”Trouble just naturally seemed to latch onto me and hang on with all its teeth.” William Tell Sackett likes to be left alone. Lean and gangling, he’s peaceful, until riled. Most of his life he’s been“lighting a shuck” but, when trouble comes, he get’s biblical and “smites it hip and thigh.”

Like his creator, Louis L’Amour, William Tell Sacket is “a wandering man.” Tell fought for the Union in the Civil War, drove cattle to Montana, and now, hungering for a strange country, he’s looking to settle...more
Jennifer Hooker
My grandfather was the biggest Louis L'Amour fan I've ever heard of. He passed away a few years ago and that's when I decided it was time to see what all the fuss was about. I must say that for my first Louis L'Amour book I was pleasantly surprised. The writing style was nothing special but I've seen worse. The plot was simple and short, which made it a fun, quick read. What I loved most, however, was the characters and how you can feel L'Amour's passion for the old west through his writing. Sac...more
Gerald Kinro
Drifter Tom Sackett comes home, wishing to settle down. He has, however, shot one of the notorious Bigelow brothers, and they are bent on revenge. He moves on and finds gold while spending time in a cave. Gold brings more attention to him, including that from the Bigelows. Typical of Lamour’s books a showdown ensues.

This book is full of action as Lamour paints a vivid picture of the characters and the scenes in which they work and play in. Highly recommended.
An Odd1
ISBN from 1980 https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
In a hidden valley south of the Tetons, narrator William Tell Sackett finds gold, and starving orphan Ange Kerry. He does what needs to be done, but the innocent has never seen a man shot. Brothers Tye and Orrin with faithful sidekick Cap come on board. "Any man can shoot a gun .. What counts is how you stand up when somebody's shooting back" p 188.

"Trouble just naturally seemed to latch onto me and hang on with all its teeth" p 201. He pea...more
Jennifer Hughes
First Louis L'Amour book...lots of fun. There is something very satisfying about reading something that you have a pretty good idea what it's going to be about, and then you pick it up and it's a fun and easy read and it met all of your expectations.

It's just like sitting down to a John Wayne movie...you know what you're in for even if you don't know the specifics of that movie. There's going to be a lot of shootouts and the bad guys are going to lose and the hero gets the girl. This book was r...more
Jen
"But the fact of the matter is, no man can shape his life according to woman's thinking. Nor should any woman try to influence a man toward her way. There must be give and take between them, but when a man faces a man's problems he has to face them a man's way." Don't we do just about everything different from this in our country? I love most of the wisdom of Louis L'amour.
Gloria
Gotta love the Sackett men. I seriously harbored fantasies about marrying a "Sackett" type guy when I was young. Studliness, savvy, and wicked wit at its best with these guys.
Rob
This was another old PB I found when I dusted my bookshelves at home. The cover and the summary does not match, and I don't know why it is listed as No. 6, when it should be at least 2 probably 1, since this is where Louis L'Amour started the Sackett family series, or it could be The Daybreakers, which I do not have. Currently skimming it before I write my review.
Is there a way in GoodReads where I can scan my book cover and post it, like my avatar? Anybody who knows how, please e-mail me robtur...more
Susan
Another excellent story by L'Amour about the type of men who settled the west. After the Civil War he drifted west working anything from cattle drives to riverboats. After killing a man who tried to kill him he decided it was time to try to improve his life. On his way down to New Mexico to visit his brothers (see Daybreakers) he stumbles on a rich vein of gold. After talking to his brothers he and Cap Rountree get the supplies together to mine that gold. With gold being one of those things that...more
Steven Brandt
William Tell Sackett, while riding through the mountains, discovers an old, abandoned gold mine. Better yet, he finds that there is still a rich vein in the mine just waiting for someone to dig it out. Tell knows he can’t carry all the gold out now, so he takes just enough to buy some mining equipment and heads down to Mora, New Mexico where his brothers, Orrin and Tyrel, have built a ranch.

Tell knows that riding into town with that much gold is bound to draw attention, and he is not wrong. It s...more
Taylor Sutton
When my father was my age, his favorite books to read were the classic stories of Louis L’amour. He loved those books, and still does today. So, when he heard about this assignment, he suggested that I give his favorite one, Sackett, a try. I’m really glad I did. My interest in the setting of the story combined with the historical fiction made for a great read.
First of all, Sackett is a wonderful book about the life and times of a man in the Wild West. The main character, Tell Sackett, experienc...more
James
I must admit I’m not a big Western reader. I think the American West is an amazing chapter in our history: unique in the world, fascinating in its tough ideals, and interesting in the squabbles between the American Indian and the white American cowboy.

The last Louis L ’Amour book I read was “Haunted Mesa” which I enjoyed because of its science fiction elements. But I digress!

I’ve heard of the Sackett novels of course but never read them. Picked this copy up at a half-price store and was certain...more
Mark Stevens
Tell Sackett is a “homely man.” There is “no getting around it,” as he admits. “Over-tall and mighty little meat, with a big-boned face like a wedge. There was an old scar on my cheekbone from a cutting scrape in New Orleans. My shoulders were heavy with muscle, but a mite stooped. In my wore-out army shirt and cow-country jeans I didn’t come to much.” '

But Tell Sacket, like many L’Amour characters, has principles and heart and a willingness to get tough and fight when the time is right. “Sacket...more
Marta-Kate
After discovering gold in a long forgotten cave, William Tell Sackett must stake a claim on his find while also distracting and dealing with some unsavory men hot on his tail. Sackett's action-packed showdowns and methods of survival will drawn many Western lovers in, but the detailed descriptions of the rural Western frontier was enough to make me want to pack up and head West in pursuit of a simpler time.
Leo
The author has excellent prose, as usual, very descriptive of the country side by the Teton Mountains. The characters are well defined. The plot is well thought and presented. Sometimes I felt like I was climbing up the mountain. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in a good western.
Kayla
This should be book #7. It starts up were The Daybreakers book #6 left off.

Tell Sackett is the elder brother of Tyrel and Orine Sackett from the previous book and he wants to make himself a living. This is Tell's story and it was a good one. I enjoyed this book and it was a quick read (only 151 pages).

Looks like there is a TV movie depicting the three brothers story's. Can't wait to check it out!
Jenifer
My Grandma liked Louis L'Amour, so when I saw it in the library I thought I'd give it a shot. I really enjoyed it! I like his cowboy logic and humor and it was a fun read. I'd definitely try another one. You gotta love a Western. I think cowboys are all romantics at heart. :)
For some reason, Louis L'Amour decided to write about half the books in the Sackett series from Tell's point of view. Although he wouldn't have been my first choice (I like Tyrell best,) I can understand why L'Amour chose him. Tell's a bit homier, and a bit simpler than Tyrell is, more straight-forward and down-to-earth. Judging from other books I've read, this was the type of man Louis L'Amour admired most, so I would guess Tell would have been one of his favorite characters. The one bone I hav...more
Trace
Not the very, VERY best of Louis L'Amour... but I really enjoyed it. The main character is very easy to like - an uncomplicated man, with a driving desire to better himself, a heart of pure gold and the bravery to stand by his morals and convictions when need be. This is the kind of book that I'd like my son to be reading when he's a little older... it is good for boys to read about heroes with strong moral character...

I was surprised to find characters (and not good ones) in this book that shar...more
Steve Chisnell
Having never actually read a standard Western (in my memory), stepping into L'Amour's world was a simple pleasure. Every bit as potent as Shane (which everyone has read or seen!), Sackett trips over itself to explain that William Tell Sackett is a simple, modest, and astoundingly-competent man who does not wish to put all the selfish little people in their place, but can, even defeating a group of 40 interlopers. Fortunately, he finds just the right woman ("She sure was pretty" repeated about 30...more
Phelan Mahegan
I was surveying in the west, travelling along or crossing portions of the Pony Express routes, and one day picked up this book for something to in the evenings other than just stare at tumbleweeds, cactus, and other various sundry scrubby looking dried up plants. That was a the first step in the journey of Louis L'Amours' family storyline about the Sacketts. Maybe it was being there while reading those books, maybe it's just the quality of storytelling, but I loved every minute spent with the ma...more
Dayna Smith
This classic western is the story of Tell Sackett, the oldest of the three Sackett boys, and his discovery of an old Spanish gold mine; but that's not all he discovers. A classic tale of the old west that tracks fairly well with the move The Sacketts which stars Sam Elliott as Tell, Tom Selleck as Orrin, and Jeff Osterhage as Tyrell. The movie version combines the story contained in this book and The Daybreakers. If you like the book you'll love the movie (which is over three hours long by the w...more
Tonya
Not bad. Clearly, there are cliches in the book-- most westerns have plenty of them. However, the story was good, the writing was engaging, and the characters were interesting. It beats a great deal of contemporary MFA navel gazing stuff, anyway. I'm sure I will read more L'Amour, if only to finish The Sacketts.

On an unrelated note-- I went to a bookstore yesterday to look and see about other westerns and was appalled at how TINY the section was. I suppose no one really reads westerns anymore (c...more
Bruce
When I first started reading this book, I thought I was reading a personal travel log or something. It kind of put me off. But then I realized that I was getting the author's own experiences about what it was like to travel on horseback through the West. Instead of looking for the typical action, I settled down and enjoyed the travel and comments. I really liked it. Then the typical action started up about half way through the book and the story really took off. With the character development, r...more
Raymond Fleer
I thought this was a very good book. There was a man that went back to his brothers and a mother to see them. He was going to Montana because of a cattle drive. After he left the drive he found gold in the mountains. As he was up there he found a woman and took her with him to make sure she was alright. He found the gold and was leaving when he got into some trouble. He and another man started a town and found trouble. During this time, he went back into the mountains to get some more gold, peop...more
Chuck
Number eight of seventeen in L'Amour's "Sackett" series. L'Amour is straight forward in building characters, you know...........good guy, bad guy...........white hats and black hats. Although the characters are traditional, he has a easy writing style with that western laid back, common sense approach to life. His books are easy to read and you don't have to worry about the good guy getting killed, although the heroes have had about 338 flesh wounds so far in the series. One of L'Amour's assets...more
Jerry
Louis L'Amour is the king of the western genre. This is just another example of his greatness. Short books with simple plots and great characters.
I have followed the Sacketts for years and will continue to read them as often as I can.
Michael
Ange reminded me of my mother - her red hair and her helplessness - but otherwise this was a comfortingly mindless read from Louis L'Amour.

The story of William Tell Sackett, an all-around hard ass who finds an old trail blazed in the mountains of Colorado leading to gold in the cold, barren cliffs. Sackett builds a gold fever town with his brothers and eventually has to drive off the crooks who set up shop there.

Sackett learns to read and finds a good women, and that seems to be worth more than...more
Carl Wunsch
Typical L'amour book. Easy reading, fast paced, and predictable. Somehow his stuff is a lot of fun to read and very satisfying.
  • Desert Gold
  • Shane
  • The Last Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #1)
  • Appaloosa (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #1)
  • Nevada! (Wagons West, #8)
  • The Log of a Cowboy: A Narrative of the Old Trail Days
  • Streets of Laredo
  • Frontier Wolf
  • Hombre
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...
Last of the Breed The Walking Drum Sackett's Land (The Sacketts, #1) Hondo The Lonesome Gods