Start by marking “Gears of War: Coalition's End” as Want to Read:
Gears of War: Coalition's End

Gears of War: Coalition's End (Gears of War #4)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  940 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Understand what a world had to do to survive.

When the Locust Horde burst from the ground fifteen years ago to slaughter the human population of Sera, mankind began a desperate war against extinction. Now after a decade and a half of bloody fighting, and with billions dead, the survivors—the Gears of the Coalition of Ordered Governments, along with a small band of civilian
Published August 2nd 2011 by Gallery Books (first published August 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Gears of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gears of War

Gears of War: Coalition's End is technically the 4th book in a series that Karen Traviss has penned for the video game franchise. It is also touted as a bridge novel for the Gears of War trilogy and the Gears of War 3 video game coming out in September this year.

It's been a long time since I've played Gears of War.

I've never read Karen Traviss, but have heard good things.

It was time to remedy this situation at least partly by giving Gears of War: Coalition's End a go... and now I might just h
I thought this one outstayed it's welcome. With so little left remaining to be said about our merry bunch of Gears doing their survival routine I found it hard to reengage with characters. Characterisation is fine as always but there is very little plot left to reveal. Baird's damn data disc will wait for Game 3 as will all the Prescott stuff. Some of the Emergence Day stories are interesting but again mainly superfluous. It doesn't help that Gears are stuck with battling Stalks and Polyps which ...more
Phillip Dimarzo
If you are in any way a Gears fan you have to read Karen Traviss books. The four books make up all the backstory the games don't give, and act as a prequel for Gears of War 3.
I do not understand how people will know whats happening in Gears 3 without reading these books. And Traviss is a really great writer not just some hack hired to churn out a fast tie in to make a buck from fans. Epic games have trusted her to guide the course of all Gears property's with her storylines. The book Coalitions
Steve Johnson
I've read this book in 2011, after having played Gears of War 1 and 2, when I was eagerly anticipating the release of Gears of War 3. The story takes place after Gears of War: Anvil's Gate and takes place prior the events depicted in Gears of War 3. This book was a bit longer than the others and is at times slower, but in my opinion this isn't a huge problem. It sets the campaign of Gears of War 3 up very nicely and I felt like I had a huge advantage by reading these books when I played through ...more
Luke La

Luke La Shelle
Gears of War Coalitions End Karen Traviss
Marcus Fenix, Dizzy, Sam, and Hoffman
the locust (a race of monsters) burst from the ground at are causing mayhem in Sera. Then fifteen years later the gears (an organization trying to the locust) move to a safe haven on the remote island called Vectes. Then they encounter a threat worse then the locust. the Lambent (or glowies as the gears call them). The Lambent have eh ability to constantly mutate which proves to be a proble
To be fair to this book and its author, I must point a few things. First of all, I have only played the Gears of War video games a few times. I found that I was terrible at the original and had no desire to play any others until my friend and I tag teamed one of them a bit. With that, I am definitely lacking much of the details offered in the games that might have aided me in understanding this book's universe more. I also have not read any of the previous novels in this series.

Beyond that, I wa
Nikki Vanderhoof
I have so enjoyed reading this series! When I tell people it's based on a video game I always get the weird eye from people but I tell them all the same thing; whether this was based on a video game or not, it is still one of the best war stories I've ever read. The characters that we've learned to love, hate, and/or respect throughout this series don't get many breaks. The war is at their doorstep and this time there's nowhere to run except for back the way they came.

For those that have played
Si bien le falla un poco el ritmo y en algunas partes hay un poco de sentimiento de Deus Ex Machina, el libro es bastante interesante, en este (al igual que en los anteriores) intenta llevar historias en diferentes líneas de tiempo, por un lado lo que pasa justo después del Emergency Day, especificamente por un lado con Dizzy y su familia, y por otro lado con unos Cole y Baird como novatos Gears y por un tercer lado con Bernie Mataki.

La trama no es tan buena, en realidad no avanza tanto en termi
Phillip Nguyen
While I was hoping that this book would take place after the third Gears game, I still liked it despite the fact that it still takes place on the island. It really brings into the play the political and psychological effects that the Locust and the Lambent have on people. While I was starting to get tired of the flashbacks that keep occurring in every Gears of War book, I enjoyed the flashbacks in this one. By showing how different people reacted, rather than just Hoffman, Marcus and Dom it help ...more
Steven Brandt (Audiobook-Heaven)
For those of you who may not know, Gears of War is an insanely popular series of video games. The first game sold five million copies, and the second sold about four million. Author Karen Traviss saw a trailer for the game and was inspired to write a book about it, which she did in 2008. She followed up that book with two more in 2009 and 2010, and then was signed on by Epic Games to write the third game, which was released in September of 2011. This fourth novel, Coalition’s End , was written ...more
Another great read in this series! Powerful emotions, good action, intrigue, it really had it all. Karen Traviss has a wonderful handle on this universe and the characters in it. Without knowing much of anything about the games, these books have managed to bring me into the world of Sera, the COG, and the Gears and made me care about them and want to know what happens next. Thankfully, I have also read the comics, many of which were written by Karen Traviss also, which filled in many gaps as wel ...more
Oct 22, 2011 Diayll rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the game
4 out of 5
ARC provided by Gallery Books

Quick Review:

Gears of War (for those of you who are not gamers) is the action packed 3rd-person shooter from Epic Studios. There are 3 games in the series; with the last one released this past September. Gears of War: Coalition’s End takes place between Gears of War: Anvil Gate and Gears of War 3, bridging the gap between the third book and the third game. It is a welcomed addition to the Gears universe, offering insight to Emergence Day, while shedding lig
The book Coalition
It's no real secret that I'm in love with what Karen Traviss has done with the Gears of War universe, and Coalition's End did not disappoint. As always, she's done an amazing job portraying the world, and bringing across the characters, which are spot-on with their video-game counterparts.

I loved the flashback sequences in this one, as they painted a very true-feeling picture of war, the consequences of it, and the mindsets of dedicated soldiers, dedicated warriors, who have to try and adjust af
Norman Howe
Whoever is playing this Video Game is losing badly.
Jonathan Funk
I wanted to like this book, but I just couldn't get into it. Quite possibly because I didn't read the prequel novels and haven't played the games.

Before you say "Of course!" consider that I have read and enjoyed almost all of the Halo novels (including those by Karen Traviss), largely out of order, and I've never played those games.

What I'm saying is that it is often possible to read books out of order or out of familiar context, and still be drawn in by the strength of the narrative and charact
What I think of the book is that I think that it is good book to read because I like Science Ficton books and books with action for every chapter. Gears of War Coalition's End is a great book if you like action in mostly every chapter which makes the book more exciting to read because you are waiting for something to happen. Another reason this book is good because it deals with the future events that i like about it which also makes it better.
I think that this book is very interesting because this book was originally a video game series but its been turned into a book, and I have never seen something like this happen before. It tell from the pov of all the characters. The book is very fun to read because I can relate my video game to it. When I read this book I imagine myself actually being the character and it makes me exited to read.
Karl Jones
By far the finest book i have ever read. For people who have never read a Gears of War novel, it not all guts and gore, but their is some. The characters are real not just an image on a games screen. You feel what they feel. You get more understanding of how hard it is to live in a world that has been destroyed by the locust. What really did it for me is the books ends and Gears of War 3 starts. Awesome.
Don't know if I didn't like the book as much or getting used to her style of writing, but this was probably the least favorite of the series for me. I hope that "The Slab" isn't going to disappoint when I can finally read it. I did appreciate the links that it offered to bridge the gap between games so it wasn't a complete waste of time and it did lead right into the third game nicely.
If you are a fan of the Gears Of War video games, you will enjoy this book as it adds depth/ back-stories to the characters of the game.
this was definitely one of my favorites of the series so far. It had a lot of really good looks into the characters and showed a lot of development that started back in Aspho Fields. so it was really nice to see things come to fruition, annnnd pick up this story again with Gears of War 3. Which, incidentally, was also written by Karen Traviss!! on to The Slab!
Even o your not a fan of sci-fi genre but you love a good story. This book is for you although I would recommend getting the other gears of war books before getting this one, just to get the full background of the entire story.
This book still stands very well on its own. I highly, highly recommend reading this book to qany fan of fiction.
I really liked reading this book I thought the action was really good and it really seem like gears. I would read more of the gears of war books and I also like playing the games, and I do recommend reading this book if u like the gears of war games. I really love the front cover of this book.
A good read. It was not as action oriented as some of the previous three books and dwelt a bit more on characters and their interactions. Well done and sets up the 3rd game well but not my favorite of the books.

I am duper glad they finally released a hardback edition. :)
Jared Hughey
As a hardcore Gear fan, this series was absolutely fantastic! It gave a great insight into the minds of my favorite characters; Marcus, Dom, Cole, etc. Not to mention the story between games is filled it also gives a back story on the characters.
...geeked out on a video game back story. Imagine that there are approximately ten thousand people left on the planet and the majority are military (after fighting an alien invasion). Interesting premise. I'm hooked.
Awesome fourth book in the series! Totally made me cry even and who would have thought that coming from a video game book. I love GoW so I'm always happy to read more of the story.
Bridges the gap between Gears 2 and 3. Tells of the last ditch effort of the surviving humans against the Lambent, and the end of the almighty COG. A very good book, sad that it ended.
  • Gears of War: Volume One
  • Gears of War: Volume Two
  • Devils' Due (StarCraft II, #2)
  • Borderlands: Unconquered
  • Fable: the Balverine Order
  • Nova (StarCraft: Ghost, #1)
  • Mass Effect: Deception (Mass Effect, #4)
  • Halo: Evolutions: Essential Tales of the Halo Universe
  • Starcraft: Spectres (Starcraft: Ghost Series #2)
  • Halo: Cryptum
  • Lord of Souls (The Elder Scrolls, #2)
  • The Halo Graphic Novel
  • Mass Effect: Retribution (Mass Effect, #3)
  • Dead Space
  • Shadow of the Xel'Naga (Starcraft, #2)
  • Starcraft: I, Mengsk
  • Dead Space: Martyr (Dead Space, #1)
  • Mass Effect: Incursion
#1 New York Times best-selling novelist, scriptwriter and comics author Karen Traviss has received critical acclaim for her award-nominated Wess'har series, and her work on Halo, Gears of War, Batman, G.I. Joe, and other major franchises has earned her a broad range of fans. She's best known for military science fiction, but GOING GREY, the first of her new techno-thriller series, is set in the re ...more
More about Karen Traviss...

Gears of War (5 books)
  • Aspho Fields (Gears of War, #1)
  • Jacinto's Remnant (Gears of War, #2)
  • Anvil Gate (Gears of War, #3)
  • The Slab (Gears of War, #5)