Start by marking “Natural Causes” as Want to Read:
Natural Causes

Natural Causes

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  3,455 ratings  ·  84 reviews
Dr. Sarah Baldwin races to a Boston hospital with a young woman whose normal labor has suddenly become a matter of life and death. As she struggles to save both mother and baby, she doesn't know that two other women have already died under horrifying identical circumstances. And so begins Sarah's own nightmare, as she learns that the prenatal herbal vitamins she prescribed ...more
Published (first published March 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Natural Causes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Natural Causes

It was a good book. I liked it a lot. It was a well written book. I look forward to reading more books by this author.
Sarah's patients are dying in labor and it may be connected to the herbal supplements she's been prescribing. I hated every character in this book. Their science was bad and their ethics were bad. A lot of their other dimensions were also bad, but I think they're generally covered by those, because life is generally covered by those.
Sarah learned all kinds of things living in Asia. She learned about acupuncture and alternative medicine. She gets a job in OB/GYN in a Boston hospital. Sarah uses these alternative methods to treat her patients. But two of these ladies and their babies have died. Why? Then a third patient starts having the same symptoms. Sarah delivers the baby, but it has died. She manages to save the life of the mother. But she is in big trouble because this is a rich man's daughter. Sarah is getting sued for ...more
B.j. Thompson
Dr. Sarah Baldwin is caught in the middle of a horrifying situation when a young woman is suddenly deathly ill during a perfectly normal labour. Two other similar cases lead to the death of the seemingly healthy women. On the surface, the only thing the women have in common is Sarah's prescription of prenatal herbal vitamins. Sarah becomes desperate to prove her vitamins have nothing to do with the untimely deaths, but she is up against a huge conspiracy. This book was quite captivating and kept ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Similar to Robin Cook's Coma, this book takes all of society's fears about the modern-day hospitals and healthcare systems and creates a nightmarish view on just what the wrong drugs can do. Human life hangs in the balance as one doctor risks her career and possibly her own life to unravel a conspiracy. This book was well-written, eerie, suspenseful and complex, everything a medical thriller should be.
Tim Titolo
I am a M. Palmer fan. He is kind of like the John Grisham of medical thrillers. Easy to read without going overboard on complicated medical jargon.

I decided to go with an earlier work with Natural Causes (his fourth or fifth book) and found the same steam as his more recent novels. I will be reading a few more in the coming weeks as part of my exploration into the writing of Michael Palmer.

This novel involved a surgeon named Sarah who, by the looks of things, was getting in trouble using holisti
Almost too complicated, villian-riddled plot thrills!

We're fans of Palmer and have read most of his booklist, now standing at ten novels. We like his ability to describe medical complexities in plain enough terms to get us through but with plausible enough premises that the scare factor heightens his suspenseful storylines. "Natural Causes" continues in this vein as pregnant women start losing their babies and dying themselves from a rare blood disorder. Is it being caused by (our heroine) Dr. S
Terri Lynn
This was my first Michael Palmer novel and it definitely will not be the last. I really enjoyed this a lot and especially so knowing that Michael Palmer is an MD.

Dr.Sarah Baldwin came to the Medical Center of Boston as an OB/GYN resident after spending years in Thailand studying herbal medicine and wanting to do more with her knowledge. She wasted three years with Peter Ettinger who sees himself as a health guru (think New Age quack) who was actually someone with just a bachelor and master's de
Took me a while to get into this. I don't know if the thickness of the book played with my mind or what, but at one point over the weekend I questioned whether I should continue. Palmer's reputation as an author whose books I enjoy is what kept me motivated, and once I got in about 100 pages it was smooth sailing until the end.
I felt there could have been more character development in the book. So many people were introduced and given just enough suspicious traits to make the reader wonder if th
I hate abridged books! I generally listen to unabridged audiobooks, but this one was not available unabridged. I feel like I missed a whole lot of the end of the story :-(. Things were no longer as well connected as they should be, and I'm not 100% sure how it ended - except that I know it was a happy ending :-). The next book I will listen to by this author will be UNABRIDGED!!
It WAS a good story, but the details got sparse as the story progressed. Sigh.
A gripping medical novel that kept me sitting on the edge of my seat!! Page after page I was intrigued with the nightmare which Sarah finds herself caught up in.

From back cover:

"Dr. Sarah Baldwin races to a Boston hospital with a young woman whose normal labour has suddenly become a matter of life and death. As she struggles to save both mother and baby, she doesn't know that two other women have already died under horrifying identical circumstances. And so begins Sarah's own nightmare, as she l
Cathy Smith
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads. What a great book! The plot kept twisting and turning and you didn't know who was involved till the end. And more than you would have thought! Sarah is a smart doctor, and I like her and Matt getting together. It was a very thought provoking book, with many ideas - conventional medicine and homeopathic...very, very interesting facts for each side. But who really wins in the end? Read and find out! Loved it!!!
Another great medical mystery by Palmer. Each of his stories has spooked me a little about doctors and especially hospitals but they are good and they do raise awareness of what can happen and I think it just puts you on guard when you do have to use a hospital. The story revolves around a hospital that is trying to use by conventional medical practices and alternative methods of healing and one resident doctor in particular, Dr. Sarah Baldwin, is she a quake and a killer, or is someone trying t ...more
I love medical thrillers. It was light on the science, and had some loose ends, but it was an enjoyable read with plot twists I never saw coming. Predictable ending, but still good through the end.
I needed to read a book that started with the letter N, for a summer library program. Palmer never disappoints with plot twists. I was pleased with the book although the outcome was not in doubt.
I finished this book last night, and I am kind of pissed at what a let down it was. This book hooked me from the first few pages. It was so interesting that I couldn't put it down. About three quarters of the way through the author must have had visions of a Hollywood thriller. The characters are thrown in to evermore implausible and stupid situations. The plot went from amazingly believable to eye-rollingly awful. Think Bourne Identity on top of James Bond layered with Mission Impossible. If ha ...more
This was an okay read. It got a little slow in the middle. It took me much longer to read than most books, but I enjoyed the story enough that I'll look for others by him.
Jean Weber
My summary

Summary of natural causes the book keeps moving along can't put I do e til you f finish it thanks mp
I do enjoy a medical thriller and Michael Palmer does them very well.Really enjoyed this one and look forward to reading more of his.
Cathy Jarvis
The 6th book I have read by this author - will definitely read more. Enjoy his books from beginning to end.
2014 READING CHALLENGE 3/49: A book by an author I've never read before.
An entertaining, although a bit implausible, medical mystery centered in a hospital.
Mary Beth
I love Michael palmer. Awesome!!!!
liked house? read these books
Fourth book in a row of Dr. Palmer's...really liked this one!
Well, for the most part I liked this book! It did take me a long time to get really interested. I thought about putting it down many times and starting another book. This was my first Michael Palmer book..onece I started getting more used to his writing style I became more interested. For me there was just a little too much hospital politics in this book. He seems to be a very knowledged writer which was what kept me reading.
This is the first Palmer book I've read, and it was okay. There were some twists and turns to keep me reading, a little action and romance. However, before I was halfway through the book I knew how it would end and knew the villain would be one of two people. The only thing that kept me reading was in the details. I would probably read another of his books though, if only for a second chance.
Jeff Brateman
I actually liked this book, even though it reminded me a lot of the movie, "Extreme Measures," which was based on another novel by this author. There was quality action, suspense, and, of course, a surprise villian at the end. My only hope is that all his books aren't written the same way. I may go back to this author sometime again in the future to check out more medical thrillers.
This was almost as good as the last two older Palmer novels I've read recently. The only reason I didn't like it quite as well was that things kind of slowed down a bit in the story right before the ending unfolded and I had to push myself to read for a bit. Otherwise, another suspensful plot with likeable characters. I'm definately reading more of his older books.
  • Godplayer
  • Cold Plague
  • Isolation Ward
  • Mutant (Dr. Richard Steele, #1)
Michael Palmer, M.D., 1942-2013, was the author of Political Suicide, Oath of Office, A Heartbeat Away, The Last Surgeon, The Second Opinion, The First Patient, The Fifth Vial, The Society, Fatal, The Patient, Miracle Cure, Critical Judgment, Silent Treatment, Natural Causes, Extreme Measures, Flashback, Side Effects, and The Sisterhood. His books have been translated into thirty-five languages.

More about Michael Palmer...