Natural Causes

Natural Causes

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  2,641 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Dr. Sarah Baldwin races to a Boston hospital with a young woman whose normal labor has suddenly become a matter of life and death. As she struggles to save both mother and baby, she doesn't know that two other women have already died under horrifying identical circumstances. And so begins Sarah's own nightmare, as she learns that the prenatal herbal vitamins she prescribed...more
Published (first published March 1st 1994)

Sarah's patients are dying in labor and it may be connected to the herbal supplements she's been prescribing. I hated every character in this book. Their science was bad and their ethics were bad. A lot of their other dimensions were also bad, but I think they're generally covered by those, because life is generally covered by those.
JoAnne
Sarah learned all kinds of things living in Asia. She learned about acupuncture and alternative medicine. She gets a job in OB/GYN in a Boston hospital. Sarah uses these alternative methods to treat her patients. But two of these ladies and their babies have died. Why? Then a third patient starts having the same symptoms. Sarah delivers the baby, but it has died. She manages to save the life of the mother. But she is in big trouble because this is a rich man's daughter. Sarah is getting sued for...more
Tim Titolo
I am a M. Palmer fan. He is kind of like the John Grisham of medical thrillers. Easy to read without going overboard on complicated medical jargon.

I decided to go with an earlier work with Natural Causes (his fourth or fifth book) and found the same steam as his more recent novels. I will be reading a few more in the coming weeks as part of my exploration into the writing of Michael Palmer.

This novel involved a surgeon named Sarah who, by the looks of things, was getting in trouble using holisti...more
Jerry
Almost too complicated, villian-riddled plot thrills!

We're fans of Palmer and have read most of his booklist, now standing at ten novels. We like his ability to describe medical complexities in plain enough terms to get us through but with plausible enough premises that the scare factor heightens his suspenseful storylines. "Natural Causes" continues in this vein as pregnant women start losing their babies and dying themselves from a rare blood disorder. Is it being caused by (our heroine) Dr. S...more
Terri Lynn
This was my first Michael Palmer novel and it definitely will not be the last. I really enjoyed this a lot and especially so knowing that Michael Palmer is an MD.

Dr.Sarah Baldwin came to the Medical Center of Boston as an OB/GYN resident after spending years in Thailand studying herbal medicine and wanting to do more with her knowledge. She wasted three years with Peter Ettinger who sees himself as a health guru (think New Age quack) who was actually someone with just a bachelor and master's de...more
Kristin
Took me a while to get into this. I don't know if the thickness of the book played with my mind or what, but at one point over the weekend I questioned whether I should continue. Palmer's reputation as an author whose books I enjoy is what kept me motivated, and once I got in about 100 pages it was smooth sailing until the end.
I felt there could have been more character development in the book. So many people were introduced and given just enough suspicious traits to make the reader wonder if th...more
Marsha
I hate abridged books! I generally listen to unabridged audiobooks, but this one was not available unabridged. I feel like I missed a whole lot of the end of the story :-(. Things were no longer as well connected as they should be, and I'm not 100% sure how it ended - except that I know it was a happy ending :-). The next book I will listen to by this author will be UNABRIDGED!!
It WAS a good story, but the details got sparse as the story progressed. Sigh.
Louise
A gripping medical novel that kept me sitting on the edge of my seat!! Page after page I was intrigued with the nightmare which Sarah finds herself caught up in.

From back cover:

"Dr. Sarah Baldwin races to a Boston hospital with a young woman whose normal labour has suddenly become a matter of life and death. As she struggles to save both mother and baby, she doesn't know that two other women have already died under horrifying identical circumstances. And so begins Sarah's own nightmare, as she l...more
Carol
Another great medical mystery by Palmer. Each of his stories has spooked me a little about doctors and especially hospitals but they are good and they do raise awareness of what can happen and I think it just puts you on guard when you do have to use a hospital. The story revolves around a hospital that is trying to use by conventional medical practices and alternative methods of healing and one resident doctor in particular, Dr. Sarah Baldwin, is she a quake and a killer, or is someone trying t...more
Rue
That was kind of the best ever. Characters in this one stand out as even more excellent than Palmer's usual fare, with some great minor roles like the head of Bio-Vir. The twists were slower to come in a good way. And oh man the last two pages!
NATUI
I finished this book last night, and I am kind of pissed at what a let down it was. This book hooked me from the first few pages. It was so interesting that I couldn't put it down. About three quarters of the way through the author must have had visions of a Hollywood thriller. The characters are thrown in to evermore implausible and stupid situations. The plot went from amazingly believable to eye-rollingly awful. Think Bourne Identity on top of James Bond layered with Mission Impossible. If ha...more
Pauline
I do enjoy a medical thriller and Michael Palmer does them very well.Really enjoyed this one and look forward to reading more of his.
Rupesh Goenka
A suspenseful & gripping medical thriller.. Super read..
Karen
An entertaining, although a bit implausible, medical mystery centered in a hospital.
Mary Beth
I love Michael palmer. Awesome!!!!
Nickyw12
Well, for the most part I liked this book! It did take me a long time to get really interested. I thought about putting it down many times and starting another book. This was my first Michael Palmer book..onece I started getting more used to his writing style I became more interested. For me there was just a little too much hospital politics in this book. He seems to be a very knowledged writer which was what kept me reading.
Rebecka
This is the first Palmer book I've read, and it was okay. There were some twists and turns to keep me reading, a little action and romance. However, before I was halfway through the book I knew how it would end and knew the villain would be one of two people. The only thing that kept me reading was in the details. I would probably read another of his books though, if only for a second chance.
Jeff Brateman
I actually liked this book, even though it reminded me a lot of the movie, "Extreme Measures," which was based on another novel by this author. There was quality action, suspense, and, of course, a surprise villian at the end. My only hope is that all his books aren't written the same way. I may go back to this author sometime again in the future to check out more medical thrillers.
Dawn
This was almost as good as the last two older Palmer novels I've read recently. The only reason I didn't like it quite as well was that things kind of slowed down a bit in the story right before the ending unfolded and I had to push myself to read for a bit. Otherwise, another suspensful plot with likeable characters. I'm definately reading more of his older books.
Marie Calia
This was my first Michael Palmer novel & I doubt it will be my last.
It was a little slow to start with but then the pace picks up & the story line intensifies. There are several twists along the way & the author keeps you guessing & intrigued. The last few chapters especially keep you riveted, wanting to know what happens next.
It was a good read & I enjoyed it very much.
Jill
Another good who done it medical story, but I fear that all of his books are starting to have the same plot. Reminds me of "House"...some bizarre patient shows up, some doctor is puzzled, there is the obligatory romance that develops between said doctor and someone involved in the case, and then at the end it is a shock who really did it.
Chi Dubinski
Sarah Baldwin is an OB/GYN resident with a background in holistic healing. When a patient develops sudden bleeding, Sarah saves her life but finds herself targeted by powerful interests, including an HMO that wants to take over the hospital. There are lots of bad guys who threaten her career and her life in this entertaining medical thriller.
Jill
When I read this book, I was into the medical thrillers big time! (I was an entry-level chemist at the time). Palmer, Gerritsen, Cook, Goldberg... This book also had the legal aspect to it and it was during this time I was going through legal 'stuff' and so found the book interesting. I was reading as many Palmer books as I could find.
Ekanth
Good.But usual predicted pattern of writing.
Deborah Hamilton
This book was a great thriller. The book focused on a female doctor who uses alternative medicine in her medical practice and the tribulations she faces when 3 of her patients die during child birth. A fantastic read that kept me guessing! A little romance to lighten some scenes but over all a great page turner.
Rob Dinsmoor
Like his other books, Natural Causes is a very suspenseful medical thriller that addresses an ethical question in medicine--this one about the ethics of using complementary/alternative therapies. As a medical writer, I love all the medical information he so deftly weaves into the books.
Shauna
I picked this book up from the Readers' Choice section at the library. It was a fairly good medical mystery, but there was more strong language than I like in a book. For those not bothered by that, it was a pretty good way to entertain oneself on a slow summer afternoon.
Karleene Morrow
This one was a bit of a disappointment, maybe for me because it followed right on the heels of my finishing The Patient, to which I gave 5 stars. Natural Causes though felt forced, convenient situations and dialogue that was not at all up to Palmer's prior standards.
Carol Waters
Ok, with the exception of the ever-present "a man and a woman cannot work together for two weeks without having sex" fantasy of the author, it was a well-structured, fast-paced, interesting read. Hope they work the bugs out of that virus real soon.
Joyce McKune
Sarah was being blamed when three women became deathly ill during labor, 2 died, the 3rd she saved with acupuncture. CDC was called in. Rosa from the CDC and her attorney were the only ones who believed she was being set up.
  • Godplayer
  • Mutant (Dr. Richard Steele, #1)
  • Bloodstream
Michael Palmer, M.D., 1942-2013, was the author of Political Suicide, Oath of Office, A Heartbeat Away, The Last Surgeon, The Second Opinion, The First Patient, The Fifth Vial, The Society, Fatal, The Patient, Miracle Cure, Critical Judgment, Silent Treatment, Natural Causes, Extreme Measures, Flashback, Side Effects, and The Sisterhood. His books have been translated into thirty-five languages.

He...more
More about Michael Palmer...
Silent Treatment The Last Surgeon Fatal The First Patient The Fifth Vial