Start by marking “The Great Black Way L.A. in the 1940s and the Lost African-American Renaissance” as Want to Read:
The Great Black Way L.A. in the 1940s and the Lost African-American Renaissance

The Great Black Way L.A. in the 1940s and the Lost African-American Renaissance

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  34 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
This book, like a major archaeological dig, unearths a littleknown, now vanished civilization and changes how we understand history. In the 1940s, when FDR opened up the defense industry to black workers, it inspired a massive wave of black migration to a small area of Los Angeles along Central Avenue—and cultural ferment in the arts, culture, and politics. In a neighborho ...more
Published June 12th 2006 by PublicAffairs

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Black Way L.A. in the 1940s and the Lost African-American Renaissance

John
Jul 24, 2008 John rated it it was ok
A very disjointed book about Black LA in the early 20th century. The book looks at how the influx of southern blacks to Los Angeles help change the culture in the years leading up to World War II. The focus is all over the map: from labor strikes and civil rights struggles to jam sessions, blackface comedians, and gay bars. There isn't a clear focus other than to present vignettes of life along Central Avenue in LA. The book really could have used another round of editing as some of the sentence ...more
Ben
May 19, 2008 Ben rated it it was amazing
I was tempted to give this four stars because I wanted it to go on for at least another hundred pages. I wanted more about what movies the journalist and editor John Kinoch went to see when he disappeared for days at a time into area theatres. I wanted to know what the hell Slim Galliard was doing between sets, I wanted more about Ellington vocalist Ivie Anderson. Hey, I'm greedy.

Smith did a great job and gives maximum respect to the creative ferment that his subject lived and thrived in the mid
Jstg00d
Mar 05, 2009 Jstg00d rated it really liked it
This book was a fantastic non-fiction about Los Angeles. The author does a great job of telling the story of historically black Los Angeles Central Avenue.

The one criticism is that the book became primarily about the musical talents that arose along the avenue...but perhaps I was just more interested in the lives than the music, so my own prejudice.
Kieran
Sep 16, 2007 Kieran rated it liked it
Interesting subject, presented fairly well. Maybe a little too much focus on the jam session phenomenon in the later chapters. The earlier chapter cover World War II, the zoot suit riots, strikes, and other political and race-relation material that had a lot more pull for me personally.
Eric
Nov 27, 2011 Eric rated it really liked it
Shelves: street-academia
Smith digs up the history of Central Ave and unearths little pockets of LA history long ignored or forgotten. A great book to bring to the corridor, Little Tokyo and former Bronzeville and read while you look at how the area's changed, and how it remains the same.
Peter Campbell
Oct 15, 2011 Peter Campbell rated it really liked it
Shelves:
This is an excellent book that paints a vivid picture of life of African Americans in 1940's. From a personal perspective, I would like to have seen more attention given over to the music of the period but this didn't prevent my enjoying the book as a whole.
Mary
Nov 12, 2009 Mary added it
Shelves: non-fiction
My only complaint is that this book tells the history from the point-of-view of men. Some women were interviewed but none are featured. However, I'm sure that women existed and operated in the 1940s!
Robert  Baird
May 27, 2009 Robert Baird rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A totally engrossing collection of biographical sketches on key figures during the heydays of Central Avenue. Essential reading for the recreational Los Angeles historian.
Bill
Dec 01, 2012 Bill rated it really liked it
I've been mildly curious about this period in LA's history since reading Chester Himes's If He Hollers. I'm glad I picked this book up. I learned a lot.
Mary Jo
Jun 25, 2008 Mary Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
what an interesting read! a part of american history I knew nothing about. the author writes in a very approachable way.
Joanne Perry
Joanne Perry marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Kai
Kai rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
Sang Park
Sang Park rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Chad Ward
Chad Ward marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Tessa
Tessa marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2015
Ben Sheppard
Ben Sheppard rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Sam Kyle
Sam Kyle marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Robin
Robin rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2015
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2015
DeWayne Anderson
DeWayne Anderson rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2015
Raymond Parker
Raymond Parker marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Les
Les marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Tannie Bradley
Tannie Bradley rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Phillip Magee
Phillip Magee is currently reading it
Dec 18, 2014
Lena Hicks
Lena Hicks marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Kevin Mccollister
Kevin Mccollister rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
13919164
R. J. Smith has been a senior editor at Los Angeles magazine, a contributor to Blender, a columnist for The Village Voice, a staff writer for Spin, and has written for GQ, The New York Times Magazine, and Men’s Vogue. His first book, The Great Black Way, was a Los Angeles Times bestseller and recipient of a California Book Award. He lives in Los Angeles.
More about R.J. Smith...