Start by marking “Grovel!: The Story & Legacy of the Summer of 1976” as Want to Read:
Grovel!: The Story & Legacy of the Summer of 1976

Grovel!: The Story & Legacy of the Summer of 1976

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  30 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
When England cricket captain Tony Greig announced that he intended to make the West Indies "grovel," he lit a fire that burned as intensely as the sunshine that made 1976 one of the most memorable summers in British history. Spurred on by what they saw as a deeply offensive remark, especially from a white South African, Clive Lloyd's touring team vowed to make Greig pay. I ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Pitch Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Grovel!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grovel!

Geevee
May 05, 2015 Geevee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sport, cricket
I enjoyed this book immensely. It took me back to the long hot summer of 1976 when as a young boy not yet in my teens my life was endless football and cricket.

That year it was even more sporty as I watched the Olympics - including the stunning performances by Nadia Comanechi - as well as playing and watching (on tv) my favourite two sports.

Vividly do I remember the West Indies team and genuinely being scared by the speed and venom with which Andy Roberts, Michael Holding, Wayne Daniel and Vanb
Asif
Nov 12, 2012 Asif rated it liked it
Shelves: sports, cricket
An enjoyable trot down memory lane as Clive Lloyd forges the team which will go on to dominate the game for 2 decades. This book is about Tony Greig's stupid comment about making the West Indies 'grovel' and how they responded on the field!

I felt it could have been much more in-depth and detailed with interviews from many other players but it was an enjoyable and fun quick read. Recommended for cricket fans in general and West Indies' ones in particular!

Phil
Jun 18, 2016 Phil rated it really liked it
Much as I love watching cricket, I've always found it hard to warm to full-length books on the subject, which tend either to be self-serving and poorly-written autobiographies by practitioners, or detailed accounts of matches I never saw, set out in the game's inimitable and - even to a dedicated cricketophile - occasionally tedious jargon.

However, the tale of West Indies' 1976 Test tour of England - which I did see (albeit via the lamented medium of live public service TV) - can hardly fail to
Marcus
Jun 06, 2015 Marcus rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read of a series nearly 40 years old now! Mixes nostalgia, humor and the nitty gritty of test cricket in an easy to read style. The descriptions of the games are excellent, but even better are the side stories of the people involved.
Tony Hernandez
Tony Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2016
Philip Cooper
Philip Cooper rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2016
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Derek Willis
Derek Willis rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Frankie Frears
Frankie Frears rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Jonathan Morgan
Jonathan Morgan rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Yasir Husain
Yasir Husain marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Gema Cineas
Gema Cineas marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Jesal Thakkar
Jesal Thakkar marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Will Reynolds
Will Reynolds rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2015
Tim Crowther
Tim Crowther rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2015
ZM
ZM marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Ram
Ram marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Chris Stanley
Chris Stanley marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Ben Taylor
Ben Taylor marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Chris Lilly
Chris Lilly is currently reading it
Nov 07, 2014
Monte
Monte marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Chris Edwards
Chris Edwards rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2014
Donovan Harrison
Donovan Harrison rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2014
Jmmquah
Jmmquah rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2014
Duncan The
Duncan The rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2014
Ryan Wulfsohn
Ryan Wulfsohn marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Peter Evans
Peter Evans rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2014