Start by marking “Satan in St Mary's (Hugh Corbett, #1)” as Want to Read:
Satan in St Mary's (Hugh Corbett, #1)

Satan in St Mary's (Hugh Corbett #1)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  853 ratings  ·  38 reviews
1284 and Edward I is battling a traitorous movement founded by the late Simon de Montfort, the rebel who lost his life at the Battle of Evesham in 1258. The Pentangle, the movement's underground society whose members are known to practice the black arts, is thought to be behind the apparent suicide of Lawrence Duket, one of the King's loyal subjects, in revenge for Duket's ...more
Published February 1987 by St Martin (first published December 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Satan in St Mary's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Satan in St Mary's

SATAN IN ST. MARY’S (Hist. Mys-Hugh Corbett-England-1284) - G
Doherty, P.C. – 1st in series
Headline, 1986, UK Paperback – ISBN: 0747234922

First Sentence: A savage, cold wind had sprung up just after dark.

Simon de Montfort, considered traitor to the king, is dead but his supporters, many of whom are thought to be practitioners of the black arts, still exist and are thought to be associated with the Church of St. Mary le Bow. Lawrence Duket committed murder and took sanctuary in St. Mary’s only to
Mitch McCrimmon
I am new to historical fiction. I was motivated to seek this one out having recently read the 5 novel series by CJ Sansom set in Tudor England, beginning with "Dissolution". Paul Doherty has written a series of 17 historical novels set around 1300 in England. His main protagonist is Hugh Corbett, an official of King Edward's court who is repeatedly sent by the king to solve some crime or other. The first one, "Satan in St Mary's" is set in London but others are set in different parts of the coun ...more
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
After reading Paul Doherty's recent novel The Cup of Ghosts (see blog entry dated 17 June) I was extremely eager to read his first medieval mystery featuring Hugh Corbett. The plot wasn't as exciting as The Cup of Ghosts, the incidental descriptions of medieval life kept the pages turning at a rapid rate. I love this genre, and it's enough to keep me wanting to read the remaining 13 novels in this series.

I'm looking forward to seeing how his style of storytelling develops over the ensuing novels
Слави Ганев
Авторът е написал една камара книги. Всички криминални и всички развиващи се в далечен исторически период. В случая Англия през Средновековието (има други поредици за древните Рим и Египет). Така че за мен изглеждаше наистина привлекателен на рафта в книжарницата - обичам историята.

Сюжетът беше много линеен и предсказуем... спазени за постулатите на криминалния роман поставени от По и Агата Кристи, но до такава степен, че направо ти става ясно какво ще се случи. Героите са някак непълнокръвни. Х
This shouldn't even be called a mystery, because there is almost zero question of who did what when in this book.
The villains and clues are clear right from the start, only the 'hero' is too dense to pick up on even the most obvious, signposted hints.
There is a 'mystery' about some gloves and a riddle about a church that are laughably transparent.
But even though the case is more than forthright for some reason we still get a long-winded summary of it at the 50% mark.
Also, the protagonist for t
Harish Puvvula
Set in 1284 during the regime of Edward 1, this novel is first in the Coubert series. Those were the turbulent times - pentangles (satanic worshippers) and populares colluded to spread anarchy and dethrone the king. Hugh Coubert is pressed into action by the chancellor to investigate the matter.

I am an avid reader of historical fiction and this book quite lived upto the expectations. I have read the C J Sansom's Matthew Shardlake series and Rory Clement's Shakespeare series.
The plot is intrigu
ron btdtbttsawio
This is the first in a series of medieval mysteries. I've probably read them all except maybe the last one and found them to be quite enjoyable.
I would also recommend the Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan by the same author.
Mar 01, 2013 Scott rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: C. J. Sansom Fans
Recommended to Scott by: Goodreads
I'm torn. I did like the story but did I really like the story? I'm thinking this book is a 3.5.

I read this right on the heels of reading Doomsday Book . While Doomsday Book took place 100 years in the future regarding Satan in St Mary's , they did fit together nicely.

I did fall into the plot quickly and moved right along in its current. I only slowed down once and the assignable cause more than likely was my own: I was out fairly late the proceeding night. Either Paul Doherty had been plannin
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Written in 1986, a good 5 years before the first Brother Athelstan book, this is a much rawer novel than what I've read in the latter series. The pacing slips towards the end, there is a some fairly dense infodumpung and a few bits of awkward prose. Still, the portraits of the noisome streets of medieval London, and of Henry II and his queen, Eleanor of Aquitaine are vivid and rewarding.
Kalendra Dee
It is the reign of Edward I, but sinister forces still are loyal to the memory of a traitor named de Montfort who was slain in battle, drawn, quartered and fed to dogs over 25 years ago. A cult that practices black magic has managed to infiltrate the de Montfort faction and together they plot their revenge. When a man who sought sanctuary in the church of St. Mary’s is found hung from a beam, it is assumed he committed suicide. Edward calls upon one of his Clerks, Hugh Corbett, to become a spy a ...more
Robert Drescher
Loved this book. The main character Hugh Corbet is great and the setting was very different. His understanding of history makes for a very unique book reading experience
I registered a book at!
Read again 02/21/14 for Maze Mystery Book Discussion.

The most wonderful thing about my re-reading this book was to find a 13th century London map so I could see where the characters where as they walked through the streets of London. And it overlay nicely with a current map making things even more interesting.

All of the historic characters and events were reported fairly and it is good to remember the threats to the throne from deMonfort and his followers. Doherty is a fine historian and you can
Great placement of a hard-boiled detective story in a well-rendered medieval setting. The casual violence and murky morality work Too predictable to be great, but I am definitely interested in reading more Doherty after this start.
Sherri Losee
Amazingly good mystery!
After the tragic loss of his wife and child, Hugh Corbett became a King's Bench clerk. When Bishop Burnell becomes suspicious about the death of a murderer who had claimed sanctuary at St Mary's Le Bow, he assigns Hugh the task of finding the truth in the matter.

This was an okay story. I wasn't that keen on the character of Hugh Corbett, mostly because of his odd relationship with tavern owner Alice atte Bowe.
The combination of paganism, murder mystery and politics was just too much for a short
Joanne Wood
Maybe 4.5 stars. Just as skillfully written and enjoyable a read as I remember.
John Lee
After reading several in the Hugh Corbett series, I have just bought nos 2,3 and 4 and they will provide my reading shelf once I have read this first one, obtained for me by the local library.

I dont normally read as quickly as this but finished this , first of the series, in just over 24 hours. An easy read with a nice uncomplicated tale. Excellent scene setting. If these books had been around back in the 50/60s, I would have been far more interested in history than I was at school.
I've read some of the later Hugh Corbett mysteries and thoroughly enjoyed them. The debut book for this mystery-solving medieval clerk is simplistic and a little flat compared to later books, but it was still an enjoyable enough read. At the very least, I was glad to see first hand how Ranaulf came to work for Corbett. I'm looking forward to making my way through the rest of the series until I catch up to where I originally began. Heh.
Maze Branch Oak Park Public Library
Donna led this discussion on 03/04/14.

We had a large group -- at least 12 people -- to discuss this and others in the Hugh Corbett series. Most were very impressed with the writing. We wondered whether the grittiness of this book (as compared with the first two we read in this series) was because this was a male author (and the first two were female). King Edward I and his chancellor appear regularly in these books.
Jim M
This historical mystery features Edward I and the legacy of Simon de Montfort.
Kathy  Petersen
I was disappointed in Doherty's Hugh Corbett, and in Doherty's imagined medeval England, although it was probably quite true to the reality. I just didn't find it very interesting, plus I didn't care for all the dirt, garbage, excrement, and other unpleasantness that piled up on every path. That was probably the reality, but this kind of reading is one of my esacpe routes.
The first entry in a series I always give a lot of leeway. This one started slow and I am not sure at all what these great qualities the King sees are, but am told a lot. Plotting was a bit obvious but interesting that it was a real event fictionalized motives. Will give another try, but not over the moon.
I love British historical mysteries (especially when I am at home with a cold and a hot cup of tea in front of me :)). This one has a good historical background, but the mystery part is... well, almost missing. I was able to guess who was who right away and after that it was not as interesting to read...
I really love historical novels. The characters in this book were real in the year 1282. It is interesting to be reminded there are no new things on earth. The political, moral and religious problems just continue from generation to generation. Too bad we can't learn from our mistakes.
Too poorly written to recommend. Not going to read the sequels.

None of the characters seem like real people. Most of them are just contrivances to fit the plot. Events happen because the author wants them to, rather than growing out of the world and the circumstances.
This mystery is as dark as it sounds, but it was compelling and suspenseful, and I enjoyed it. My only complaint is that the characters' names are similar enough that they're sort of hard to keep straight (Corbett, Padgett, Duket, Bellet).
Lauri Saplad
A very interesting read dealing with little-known events in British history. Not your run-of-the-mill cozy mystery. This one deals with treason, black magic & Satanists. Not for the faint of heart
I pretty much knew the ending about halfway through. The author made the clues too obvious but I still give the book four stars because I loved Ranulf.
Arlene Allen
After Ellis Peters I discovered Paul Doherty. No matter how many Doherty books you read...there's still more and more and more....I don't know how he does it.
  • The Sanctuary Seeker (Crowner John Mystery #1)
  • Death and the Chapman (Roger the chapman, #1)
  • The Tainted Relic: An Historical Mystery (The Medieval Murderers, #1)
  • A Gift of Sanctuary (Owen Archer, #6)
  • A Play of Isaac (Joliffe the Player, #1)
  • The Wolves of Savernake (Domesday, #1)
  • The Bone-Pedlar (Sir Richard Straccan, #1)
  • The Spider's Web (Sister Fidelma, #5)
  • A Conspiracy of Violence (Thomas Chaloner, #1)
  • Fortune Like the Moon (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #1)
  • Remedy For Treason (Chronicles Of Issac Of Girona, #1)
  • A Mortal Bane (Magdalene La Batarde, #1)
  • Death Comes As Epiphany (Catherine LeVendeur, #1)
  • Wine of Violence (Medieval Mystery, #1)
  • The Confession of Brother Haluin (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #15)

He has been published under several pseudonyms: P.C. Doherty, Celia L. Grace, Paul Harding, Ann Dukthas, Vanessa Alexander, Michael Clynes and Anna Apostolou but now writes only under his own name.

Paul Doherty was born in Middlesbrough (North-Eastern England) in 1946. He had
More about Paul Doherty...

Hugh Corbett (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Crown in Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #2)
  • Spy in Chancery (Hugh Corbett, #3)
  • The Angel of Death (Hugh Corbett, #4)
  • The Prince of Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #5)
  • Murder Wears a Cowl (Hugh Corbett, #6)
  • The Assassin in the Greenwood (Hugh Corbett, #7)
  • The Song of a Dark Angel (Hugh Corbett, #8)
  • Satan's Fire (Hugh Corbett, #9)
  • The Devil's Hunt (Hugh Corbett, #10)
  • The Demon Archer (Hugh Corbett, #11)
The Mask of Ra (Amerotke, #1) The Nightingale Gallery (Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #1) The Anubis Slayings (Amerotke, #3) The Horus Killings (Amerotke, #2) Corpse Candle (Hugh Corbett, #13)