Start by marking “Runes of the North” as Want to Read:
Runes of the North

Runes of the North

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Olson takes the reader on a fantastic adventure in each and every one of his essays. Not only does he take the reader to various geographical locations, but he also takes the reader back to the days of the French/ Canadian Voyageurs, and trappers
Published August 13th 1997 by Univ Of Minnesota Press (first published August 12th 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Runes of the North, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runes of the North

Tom
This book came out of my grandfather’s house and at first I was surprised, the subject matter and style didn’t seem to fit with the man I remember. But, I have a vague recollection of being told that his Christmas trees were always kind of scrawny because he thought the more perfect trees looked better in the woods. I don’t know how true that story is, but it fits in with Sigurd Olson’s view of the wilderness and god’s nature. This book is a collection of canoeing tales of the North woods, from ...more
A pleasurable way to remind yourself of the power of language. Sigurd Olson does the near impossible, connecting his experience to perfect description. His stories are even more powerful in his spartan style; with seeming ease, he gets right to the essence. You are there with him in the moment. Bonus: he's talking about nature. Get your itches scratched with this book, as Olson takes you through uncommon but not unattainable adventures. This ain't your typical escapism, no quaint markets in Fran ...more
Greg
Beautifully written by one of the country's preeminent professors, naturalists, and north woodsmen. Olson was a former President of the National Parks Association and a consultant to the Department of the Interior.

This, along with his companion books ("The Singing Wilderness," "Listening Point," and "The Lonely Land"), offer some of the most intimate and carefully observed accounts of the Boundary Waters and canoe country of northern Minnesota and southern Ontario, Canada. His insights are both
Dick
Aug 09, 2008 Dick rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: nature
I actually have an older edition of this book. I love these books. If you love the wilds or like the idea of loving the wilds, these collections of thought will captivate you. Especially if you have experienced the Boundary Waters region in Minnesota. Sigurd Olson is the wilderness canoist's godfather.
Mary-Jane
I loved this book! I read most of it while I was at a fishing lodge in Canada and I felt like I was immersed in the scenery the author was describing. Anyone who has a respect for the North Country would love reading this book. Oh, how I long to be a voyageur!!
Rick
Olson was the poet philosopher of the great northern wilderness. His advocacy on environmental issues lives on. But his love of the wild is what grabs me. It doesn't hurt that he's a good word smith.
Brian
I liked this book better than "Reflections". Where Reflections was philosophy, "Runes of the North" was storytelling at its north country finest. Good book.
Tom Baker
For my money this is one of Sigurd's best. It was kind of an overview of his expeditions in the north.
Doyle
Only 56 people have rated this book? Fifty-six! Come on folks!
Tim
Nice stories and remembrances of the North...homesick.
Karla
Better than the last "Olson" book I read. Enjoyed it.
Leanne
Leanne marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
SadieSparrow
SadieSparrow marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Kara Marie
Kara Marie marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Travis Ford
Travis Ford marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Vern
Vern added it
May 20, 2015
Simchah
Simchah marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Angie
Angie added it
Apr 06, 2015
jon brautigan
jon brautigan is currently reading it
Apr 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Sigurd F. Olson was an American author, environmentalist, and advocate for the protection of wilderness. For more than thirty years, he served as a wilderness guide in the lakes and forests of the Quetico-Superior country of northern Minnesota and northeastern Ontario. He was known honorifically as the Bourgeois — a term the voyageurs of old used of their trusted leaders.
More about Sigurd F. Olson...
The Singing Wilderness Reflections from the North Country Listening Point The Lonely Land Open Horizons