Start by marking “The Fairies of Nutfolk Wood” as Want to Read:
The Fairies of Nutfolk Wood

The Fairies of Nutfolk Wood (Nutfolk Wood #1)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  336 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
After her parents divorce and she moves to the country with her mother, Willa, anxious and unhappy with the changes in her life, discovers a world of little people called Nutfolk living in the woods around her new home.
Published May 23rd 2006 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Fairies of Nutfolk Wood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fairies of Nutfolk Wood

Phair
Willa hates change but when divorce forces Willa and her mother to move to an isolated trailer home in a forest, change is everywhere. Willa begins seeing odd visions in the forest then an elderly neighbor begins telling her stories of the Nutfolk, fairy-like creatures. Are her visions real?

I really enjoyed (3.5 stars) this juvenile title which actually made me shed a few tears, not of sorrow but of longing, good feeling, joy at the thought of such creatures and the loving Hazel with her adheren
Sarah Crawford
Jan 21, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it it was amazing

The Fairies of Nutfolk Wood

Willa's parents have just been divorced, and she and her mother are moving out into the country near their grandmother. It's a beautiful area, and there's a wooden stump that Willa is attracted to.

Willa learns the history of the stump and the fairy-folk that live there and have been seen by other people. She wants to somehow prove their existence. The area is in danger from their drunken neighbor, though, and one of his sons hits Willa with his motorcycle, breaking her
Kay Carman
Feb 23, 2016 Kay Carman rated it really liked it
In the country town of Plunkit, where Willa and her mom start anew after her parents' divorce, Willa catches sight of a strange sparkle by the creek and in the old woods. Her older-than-old neighbor, Hazel Wicket, has a... story about these surroundings and an imagined family of tiny people that inhabit a tree stump. Willa knows there's no such thing as fairies, but when she spots more and more oddities around her, she can't stop an itchy feeling that there's some certainty to Hazel's curious ta ...more
Jessica Kohout
Ten year-old Willa Jane is unhappy with all the changes that occur when her parents get divorced. She must cope with moving to the country with her mother, not knowing anyone in her new town, missing her father, and being incessantly nervous. She steadily becomes happier when she gets to know her elderly neighbor and the boy that works for her. She becomes intrigued when she continually sees glimpses of a world of tiny people out of the corner of her eye, in her dreams, and in quick flashes, but ...more
Katy Jane
Apr 18, 2013 Katy Jane rated it it was amazing
1. I rated it a 5 because it was just so wholesome, simple, and sweet. I haven't read anything like it since I was a kid and it made me nostalgic.
2. In the back of my mind I wonder if her dad really wrote the letters and whether or not he'll actually show up to her party.
3. My parents got divorced when I was Willa's age and I remember my dad living four hours away and the situation felt the same way this story felt. I was strong and imaginative so I understood Willa. Plus my middle name is Jane,
Elaine
Jun 28, 2011 Elaine rated it liked it
Heidi
Mar 24, 2014 Heidi rated it really liked it
I picked up this book for my 8 year old daughter. She was not interested even though she loves to read about fairies. This book talks about divorce and has characters that are drunk. The book is a clean read, the mom does say "h-e double hockey sticks", although, does not actually swear. Overall, I thought was a pretty good read.
babyhippoface
Jan 15, 2008 babyhippoface rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-fiction, fantasy
To help cope after her parents divorce, 10-year-old Willa moves with her mother to the little country village of Plunkit for a simpler life. While her mother works, Willa spends her days helping Hazel, an old woman full of wise advice and fascinating tales of the “Nutfolk,” a community of fairies inhabiting a nearby tree stump. Though she is grounded in reality, sparkling lights and fleeting glimpses of tiny creatures around the stump force Willa to consider the possibility that Hazel’s stories ...more
Elizabeth
Feb 02, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Children who love fairies, secret stumps in the woods, or the fanciful
This book is a lovely tale for younger readers (but not immature ones) that deals with the pain and loss that many children have felt from losing loved ones, from divorce or death, as well as the magic and mystery that can be found in the world if you look for it. It's a gentle story, the kind that calms, but it is also still funny and exciting, as we watch the characters cope with their hardships and then find an amazing world that lurks just behind this one.
The nutfolk are each people, not ju
Pamela
Sep 13, 2015 Pamela rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
While I liked the thought of a little girl discovering fairies living in the woods in their cute little fairy tree houses, some of the subtopics were of a more mature nature, especially for a book geared towards kids at this reading level. There is divorce, death and drunkenness, as well as language and attitudes. For a child who faces these harsh realities in their own lives, this book could possibly help them cope as they discover that they're not alone. But for a child who has not been expose ...more
Holli
Jul 21, 2014 Holli rated it really liked it
A really good middle grade reader. Invoking the charm of fairies and imagination while still leaving a lot open for interpretation by the reader. The main character was good hearted and spunky and the characters real.
Andrea Lubbers
Oct 10, 2013 Andrea Lubbers rated it liked it
Recommends it for: any book lover
Recommended to Andrea by: my sister
This book was an intreging book. I was couldn't put the book down when Willa meat Hazel. This part was so discriptive and made you feel like you were there. The one part that stands out to me the most is when Willa told her uncle to turn on to a road and later found out that it was the fairies that helpd her notice the road. Th one thing I didn't care for was all the little details Hazel didn't seam to remmber to tell Willa. That made the book flow less and made you keep having to turn back in t ...more
Samm
Nov 27, 2014 Samm rated it liked it
Another cute conquest in the read all Sara's books challenge. A simple, wholesome little fantasy story.
Susan
Jul 08, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: rose
My 10-year old really liked this. Didn't take long to read it, maybe a day and a half.
Sheryl
Oct 14, 2009 Sheryl rated it liked it
Recommends it for: students dealing with change
This book does address some of the issues students may face: Divorce, moving, changes in economic status, the loss of a parent, a father who drinks to hide his loss... The intergenerational relationships that are formed helped give the book some depth. The life style contrasts are interesting. The characters learn that friends matter and families may not be perfect. The touch of magic adds another layer of depth. Whether you believe in fairies or not is up to you, but maybe you will learn to bel ...more
IB
I really loved this book. This is one of the children's books I've read firstly in high school, and it made me miss my childhood fancy about magical creatures.

It's certainly a really pure and charming book, but I have to say, I ship Willa with that boy. To be honest, I forgot they were in grade school and it was a children's book when I was craving for a slight romantic feels on their part. Sadly, that's just how I am, being a hopeless romantic.

Great book to give or read to your little ones.
Jane
Nov 16, 2007 Jane rated it liked it
Shelves: children
So-so book. Willa and Mom spend summer in the woods as they try to start life anew after a divorce. Elderly neighbor and fairies help Willa gain self confidence and insight as the summer draws to an end. Fairies and their village could have seemed more magical and whimsical. As usual mother is distant and preoccupied with her own issues. Little bit of environmental protection issues going on too. Not enough imagination into setting or fairy characters.
Mexicanlove
Sep 22, 2008 Mexicanlove is currently reading it
This book is about this girl who's name is Willa Jane.Her parents got diviors.Willa move in with hegrandmother.Willa's mother and her grandmother are always discusing about "Why did she divors?".When Willa disided to go to the countryside with her mother.They went to mountains where her uncle lives. When she went to the the woods to see the land area,she heard a little vocie.The little vocie said "Win some Lose some,"
B.A.  Wilson
Nov 03, 2014 B.A. Wilson rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mg
My first impression of this book was way off. I didn't think I wanted to read some silly book about fairies, but I picked it up anyway, since it was a state award nominee book.

Boy was I wrong about this book! I absolutely loved it. It is full of both reality and fantasy. I was completely charmed and had to rethink my poor attitude and find creative ways to sell it to my students.
Gena Lott
Apr 01, 2016 Gena Lott rated it really liked it
This was a cute little story with wonderful characters and a fun premise. Everyone wants to believe in fairies!
Third grade to fifth grade.
Lacey
May 27, 2013 Lacey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is my favorite book of all time. Anytime I go to the public library I beg for this book. I have read it about four times and I'm gonna read it again. Willa Jane reminds me a lot of myself because we are both people who like to spend the day outside. I recommend this book to anyone who is a naturalist.
John Hendricks
Jan 08, 2010 John Hendricks rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2010
A bit slow-paced, even for the designated Grade 4-6 level. Obligatory divorce background, a confused mystery of missing paintings, and little interaction with the Fairies themselves makes this an average book, perhaps a set-up book for a continuing series, which could be interesting...
Jul 24, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Such a cute story! I really enjoyed getting to know the characters and watching the main character grow throughout the book while dealing with her parents' divorce. I'm very surprised this book is out of print, and I'm grateful that my library had a copy=)
Panagiota
Nov 12, 2008 Panagiota rated it liked it
CIP: After her parents divorce and she moves to the country with her mother, fourth-grader Willa Jane, anxious and unhappy with the changes in her life, discovers a world of little people called Nutfolk living in the woods around her new home.
May 17, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
Recommends it for: To all children that are experiencing change
I read this by mistake thinking it was a book that my sister had recommended. It's actually about dealing with change (ie divorce & death) for younger children. I enjoyed it (actually better than the bbok that was the intended book).
Bill Rakowski
Apr 01, 2015 Bill Rakowski rated it it was amazing
Read it again immediately. Finished on the 31st.
Sunny
Nov 06, 2008 Sunny marked it as to-read
This is something I would never had looked at- but b/c Kathy loved it I had to look... I love the cover and it looks like a fun and easy read while I in walking upon finales this school semester...Thanks Kathy!
Maya
Aug 04, 2008 Maya rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Megan Watson, Anna Dehlin
This book was sweet, fun, and interesting. It's about a girl who searches to find fairies that her friend Hazel had told stories about. It's truly delightful, and I recommend it to anyone looking for a book.
Lydia Davis
Jul 07, 2014 Lydia Davis rated it it was amazing
Awesome
Heather
Jan 29, 2012 Heather rated it it was ok
Read aloud to girlies. It took us quite awhile to plug through it. For our family, it talked way too much about the main character's parents' divorce.
  • Untitled (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • Young Knights Of The Round Table (Young Knights Trilogy, #1)
  • The Never Girls Collection #1 (Disney Fairies: The Never Girls)
  • The Water Sprites (Fairy Realm, #8)
  • Dracula vs. Grampa at the Monster Truck Spectacular (Wiley & Grampa's Creature Features, #1)
  • The White Horse Trick (New Policeman, #3)
  • My Life as a Cartoonist (My Life, #3)
  • Stealing Air
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Tree Girl
  • Harvey Ángel
  • Sex Kittens and Horn Dawgs Fall in Love
  • Family Reunion
  • Dragonborn (The Flaxfield Quartet, #1)
  • Carlotta's Kittens (Cat Pack #3)

Nutfolk Wood (2 books)