Start by marking “The Fairies of Nutfolk Wood” as Want to Read:
The Fairies of Nutfolk Wood

The Fairies of Nutfolk Wood (Nutfolk Wood #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  259 ratings  ·  35 reviews
After her parents divorce and she moves to the country with her mother, Willa, anxious and unhappy with the changes in her life, discovers a world of little people called Nutfolk living in the woods around her new home.
Published May 23rd 2006 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Fairies of Nutfolk Wood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fairies of Nutfolk Wood

Jessica Kohout
Ten year-old Willa Jane is unhappy with all the changes that occur when her parents get divorced. She must cope with moving to the country with her mother, not knowing anyone in her new town, missing her father, and being incessantly nervous. She steadily becomes happier when she gets to know her elderly neighbor and the boy that works for her. She becomes intrigued when she continually sees glimpses of a world of tiny people out of the corner of her eye, in her dreams, and in quick flashes, but ...more
Katy Jane
1. I rated it a 5 because it was just so wholesome, simple, and sweet. I haven't read anything like it since I was a kid and it made me nostalgic.
2. In the back of my mind I wonder if her dad really wrote the letters and whether or not he'll actually show up to her party.
3. My parents got divorced when I was Willa's age and I remember my dad living four hours away and the situation felt the same way this story felt. I was strong and imaginative so I understood Willa. Plus my middle name is Jane,
Elaine
Heidi
I picked up this book for my 8 year old daughter. She was not interested even though she loves to read about fairies. This book talks about divorce and has characters that are drunk. The book is a clean read, the mom does say "h-e double hockey sticks", although, does not actually swear. Overall, I thought was a pretty good read.
babyhippoface
To help cope after her parents divorce, 10-year-old Willa moves with her mother to the little country village of Plunkit for a simpler life. While her mother works, Willa spends her days helping Hazel, an old woman full of wise advice and fascinating tales of the “Nutfolk,” a community of fairies inhabiting a nearby tree stump. Though she is grounded in reality, sparkling lights and fleeting glimpses of tiny creatures around the stump force Willa to consider the possibility that Hazel’s stories ...more
Elizabeth
Feb 02, 2012 Elizabeth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children who love fairies, secret stumps in the woods, or the fanciful
This book is a lovely tale for younger readers (but not immature ones) that deals with the pain and loss that many children have felt from losing loved ones, from divorce or death, as well as the magic and mystery that can be found in the world if you look for it. It's a gentle story, the kind that calms, but it is also still funny and exciting, as we watch the characters cope with their hardships and then find an amazing world that lurks just behind this one.
The nutfolk are each people, not ju
Hollijo
A really good middle grade reader. Invoking the charm of fairies and imagination while still leaving a lot open for interpretation by the reader. The main character was good hearted and spunky and the characters real.
Andrea Lubbers
Oct 10, 2013 Andrea Lubbers rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any book lover
Recommended to Andrea by: my sister
This book was an intreging book. I was couldn't put the book down when Willa meat Hazel. This part was so discriptive and made you feel like you were there. The one part that stands out to me the most is when Willa told her uncle to turn on to a road and later found out that it was the fairies that helpd her notice the road. Th one thing I didn't care for was all the little details Hazel didn't seam to remmber to tell Willa. That made the book flow less and made you keep having to turn back in t ...more
Sheryl
Oct 14, 2009 Sheryl rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: students dealing with change
This book does address some of the issues students may face: Divorce, moving, changes in economic status, the loss of a parent, a father who drinks to hide his loss... The intergenerational relationships that are formed helped give the book some depth. The life style contrasts are interesting. The characters learn that friends matter and families may not be perfect. The touch of magic adds another layer of depth. Whether you believe in fairies or not is up to you, but maybe you will learn to bel ...more
Jane
So-so book. Willa and Mom spend summer in the woods as they try to start life anew after a divorce. Elderly neighbor and fairies help Willa gain self confidence and insight as the summer draws to an end. Fairies and their village could have seemed more magical and whimsical. As usual mother is distant and preoccupied with her own issues. Little bit of environmental protection issues going on too. Not enough imagination into setting or fairy characters.
Mexicanlove
Sep 22, 2008 Mexicanlove is currently reading it
This book is about this girl who's name is Willa Jane.Her parents got diviors.Willa move in with hegrandmother.Willa's mother and her grandmother are always discusing about "Why did she divors?".When Willa disided to go to the countryside with her mother.They went to mountains where her uncle lives. When she went to the the woods to see the land area,she heard a little vocie.The little vocie said "Win some Lose some,"
B.A.  Wilson
My first impression of this book was way off. I didn't think I wanted to read some silly book about fairies, but I picked it up anyway, since it was a state award nominee book.

Boy was I wrong about this book! I absolutely loved it. It is full of both reality and fantasy. I was completely charmed and had to rethink my poor attitude and find creative ways to sell it to my students.
Lacey
This is my favorite book of all time. Anytime I go to the public library I beg for this book. I have read it about four times and I'm gonna read it again. Willa Jane reminds me a lot of myself because we are both people who like to spend the day outside. I recommend this book to anyone who is a naturalist.
John Hendricks
A bit slow-paced, even for the designated Grade 4-6 level. Obligatory divorce background, a confused mystery of missing paintings, and little interaction with the Fairies themselves makes this an average book, perhaps a set-up book for a continuing series, which could be interesting...
Such a cute story! I really enjoyed getting to know the characters and watching the main character grow throughout the book while dealing with her parents' divorce. I'm very surprised this book is out of print, and I'm grateful that my library had a copy=)
Panagiota
CIP: After her parents divorce and she moves to the country with her mother, fourth-grader Willa Jane, anxious and unhappy with the changes in her life, discovers a world of little people called Nutfolk living in the woods around her new home.
May 17, 2008 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: To all children that are experiencing change
I read this by mistake thinking it was a book that my sister had recommended. It's actually about dealing with change (ie divorce & death) for younger children. I enjoyed it (actually better than the bbok that was the intended book).
Sunny
Nov 06, 2008 Sunny marked it as to-read
This is something I would never had looked at- but b/c Kathy loved it I had to look... I love the cover and it looks like a fun and easy read while I in walking upon finales this school semester...Thanks Kathy!
Maya
Aug 04, 2008 Maya rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Megan Watson, Anna Dehlin
This book was sweet, fun, and interesting. It's about a girl who searches to find fairies that her friend Hazel had told stories about. It's truly delightful, and I recommend it to anyone looking for a book.
Heather
Read aloud to girlies. It took us quite awhile to plug through it. For our family, it talked way too much about the main character's parents' divorce.
Linda
This wonderful, gentle book would be a great read-aloud for children who are around 6-9, who like fantasy, but don't like scary people, creatures, or themes.
Elizabeth
This is such a fun read! I loved how Barb integrated the fairy world with the real world and how the little girl there discovers it!
Julie
This was a fun little book to read in my spare time. Nothing earth shattering or life changing. Yet, still a fun, light read.
Maren
Aug 05, 2011 Maren added it
Meh... I thought that little girl had quite a vocabulary; that was the most unbelievable part of the story.
Kathy
This is by my cousin. I am so impressed. It's smart, charming and hopeful.
Dominique
This was a nice book. It is about a girl who discovers a secret fairie haven.
Gretchen
This book is great no AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mahathi
it was good in some areas and funny. try reading it.
Maisie
It was nice and short, and very entertaining!!
  • The Rainbow Wand (Fairy Realm, #10)
  • My Life as a Cartoonist
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The White Horse Trick (New Policeman, #3)
  • Dragonborn (The Flaxfield Quartet, #1)
  • My Life with the Lincolns
  • Stealing Air
  • Tree Girl
  • The Hero Revealed (The Extraordinary Adventures of Ordinary Boy, #1)
  • Shadow Spell (Seven Sorcerers #2)
  • Nim's Island
  • Magical Mischief
  • So, You Want to Be a Chef?: How to Get Started in the World of Culinary Arts
  • Dragon of the Lost Sea
  • SandRider (TodHunter Moon, #2)
  • Under the Baseball Moon