Start by marking “The Facts Speak for Themselves” as Want to Read:
The Facts Speak for Themselves

The Facts Speak for Themselves

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  36 reviews
How to describe Brock Cole's brilliant new young-adult novel, "The Facts Speak for Themselves?" Here's how the author himself did it in a recent magazine interview: "The Facts [Speak for Themselves?"] starts with a murder and the witness to the murder is a 13-year-old girl. In the initial interrogations, it becomes clear that she was sexually involved with the man who was...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Facts Speak for Themselves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Facts Speak for Themselves

Terry
I read this in one evening, unable to put down Cole's narrator, Linda. Her story is a series of disturbing events and Linda's valiant efforts to manage her impossible life. My heart ached by the end of this book, and I felt despair that the world continues to make Lindas. I've meet a number of kids who are versions of Linda, and there is so much misery in their lives. There are many excellent books about damaged kids - Frank's America, for example - and this is as strong as any of them.

Be warned...more
William Barton
In Brock Cole’s The Facts Speak for Themselves we start with a murder, the witness of that murder is a 13 year old girl named Linda. As Linda tells her story we understand that her home life is unhealthy and she is missing necessary moments of love. She feels the need to be taken care of, not to be the caretaker, and that is where Joe Greene, an older man, comes in to play. But is that relationship any healthier then her life?

The Facts Speak for Themselves is emotionally powerful and well writte...more
Natalie
I read this for a children's literature class. It's well written but Brock Cole's stuff gives me the willies. =)
Greg Medina
The book "The Facts Speak For Themselves" By Brock Cole was not my favorite book whatsoever-- it wasn't even close."The Facts Speak For Themselves" was a realistic fiction book about a 13 year old girl named Linda, who starts to go through problems a 13 year old should'nt go through. The book starts off Linda getting interigated by the police because she witnessed a murder right in front of her face. She was talking to Mr.Green in a parking lot when a guy named Frank Perry came along and shoot...more
Mti Librarian
I chose this book because as part of my job I get asked a ton of questions about Accelerated Reader and this book was referenced in one of the articles I read recently about the AR program. I've listed the article below if you're interested. This book is listed as having an AR reading level of 3.6, which many people will say is roughly equivalent to a 3rd or 4th grade reading level. That means that it has short words and simple sentences easy for a 3rd grader to read. The reading level doesn't t...more
Kachina
This book was a quick read, an easy read, and a compelling read. It's written in the form of the journal of an adolescent girl who is described as having "Low-average intelligence." The voice is pitch-perfect throughout. Linda plows her way through her unconventional childhood, unpleasant event by unpleasant event. She faces her own troubles -- from discrimination and psychological trauma to physical neglect to sexual abuse -- in a matter-of-fact way that is almost chilling, but at the same time...more
Shel
Cole, B. (1997). the facts speak for themselves. New York: Puffin Books.

184 pages.

Appetizer: Thirteen-year-old Linda was escorted into the police interrogation room with blood still under her nails. After being interrogated about the deaths of two men (a murder-suicide situation between the boyfriend and boss of her mother that Linda is somehow at the center of), Linda is separated from her little brothers and mother, who need her to watch over them, to stay at a center run by nuns.

She has meeti...more
Jess
Title: The Facts Speak for Themselves

Author: Brock Cole

Rate: A

Synopsis

She lived a life with satisfaction and compulsive decision. She was young, sweet and innocent outside but tough and critical thinker inside. Her bitter-sweet life molded her perspective and judgement with people. She's curious like a leaf carried by the wind , circling in the vicinity of the unknown world. She committed a mistake, she knows it ,she said it all.. She don't care about what people think about her. All she know is...more
Sarah Mae
Plot Summary: When 13 year old Linda is involved in a murder-suicide, she is taken from her family and sent to a group home. While there, she tells her story to her social worker.

Evaluation of Reader Appeal: This book deals with hard issues of sexual abuse, neglect, poverty, and violence in a detached way. The reader is drawn into Linda's world as she relates her life story. The book helps the reader to understand why Linda is the way she is.

Evaluation of Literary Merit: I do not know if I like...more
Mona
This is written from the POV of a young girl who has assumed the responsibility for herself and two younger brothers because there is no adult willing/capable of that responsibility in her life. She is emotionless, logical in a world amongst adults who neglect and abuse her. It is not a likely reaction. It seems like it is told by what a sociopath would assume she would fell. I do not recommend this!
Sandra Alonzo
This book was recommended to me by a person who's critiquing my most recent YA novel, so I purchased the kindle version for that reason. I was mainly looking at the way Brock Cole fits his backstory into the present voice, which was skillfully done in THE FACTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES. The voice was excellent, though perhaps a bit young sounding for today's thirteen year old girl. However, the novel isn't super recent, so that might explain this issue. Also, for a sexually abused main character, Li...more
Ms.P
Compelling, quick read narrated by a 13 year old girl. Her voice is honest and blunt and she minces no words in describing her story and how she came to be at a point where two men were shot to death. Not for the faint of heart or easily disturbed.
Brian
This book was a bit confusing, much like the main character Linda. Insecurity, neglect from mom, confused, leading to bad life decisions. Brock Cole's the facts speak for themselves was weird. Linda from the beginning of the book is a witness to the murder of a man much older than herself, by her step-father. Speaking with Jack Green whom she was having intimate relations with on a parking ramp, Frank Perry her step-father, came up and shot Jack right in front of Linda, a 13 year old girl. Linda...more
John
Can you imagine waking up every morning as a young teenager and having to be a mother to your siblings because your real mother rather be out hooking up with guys instead of being home taking care of her responsibilities?

This book is based on adulthood because the character in this story is a young teenager who has no choice but to take responsibility and be a mother to her siblings. Linda's life was affected when her mom chose to be out hooking up with men instead of being a mom, there's many...more
Anney Wong
Brock Cole expresses Linda as being neglected as she writes in her preliminary report. In this book "The Facts Speaks For Themselves" Linda faces the world by herself while her mother does not bother to care for her children. Personally this book did not interest me because she made bad decisions and it did not relate to me but gave me a different perspective on people. I would recommend this book to people who like to read about teenagers and what one may go through instead of judging upon some...more
Gemma
This book is very enticing and I remember reading it as a young girl of about 12/13 and being shocked by it yet, it's one of the books I read as a young girl which I remember.

It's very difficult to describe the book as it has been a while since I have read it however, I have read it 3 times and will read it again very shortly. I would definitely recommend this book to people who like madness and being inside a psychologically disturbed young woman is one of the main jists of the book.

Enjoy!
Kaelie
Heather Moss
I enjoyed this YA novel. Linda's first-person voice has authority and vulnerability. She seems like a real kid to me, not a stereotype of a kid like in many YA books. Although Linda's circumstances are rather extraordinary, her delivery is so matter-of-fact, mature, and unhysterical that she became a teen I'd actually like to know. This book is for people who like realistic stories. It's not a difficult read, but the subject matter may be a bit mature in parts for a child under the age of 12.
Chris
A tad disappointing, but I wonder if I'm being unfair - The Facts Speak For Themselves is ultimately a children's book and most of the time it felt like it.

Kiera James
this book is extremley confusing. i enjoyed it but it was also sad. this young girl shared her horrible life story with unthinkable things happening to her she still continued to take care of her step father and younger brothers. her mom was a mess and she knew it. this book was a short read but hard to get into in the beginning the story wasn't too clear as you soon realize the things in this book just dont happen.
Malia
I'm not exactly sure what makes Brock Cole's books YA fiction other than the age of the characters involved. It's a brutal book, the kind of story you hope could never be true but are afraid is all too common. His prose is spare and he forgoes quote punctuation, which really suits his writing style. It's a book I'm glad I read but probably won't ever want to reread (unlike the Goats which will definitely be revisited).
Cristina
I chose this book as I am trying to read a number of the books on the Banned Book list that I have not read. It was a haunting read for me. It should have been a quick read as it is not really long. I think most people will be able to read it in a few hours. It is a good book that delves into a lot of issues people do not really want to speak of. But need to. A more complete review will be going up on my blog.
Zac Swehla
Oct 27, 2011 Zac Swehla rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Friend
I think this book should be banned because it might be uncomfortable for young teens. This book swears a lot has graphic situations. It deals with vilolence and family issues that effects childhood development. Also there is a lot of lying, cheating, and heart breaks. The girls has to deal with a lot of parents issues inlcuding her mom having three differnt dads. Lastly, it deals withn sexual content.
Madelawl Mathews
I will admit, this was an amazing book that was hard to put down. Although, it was very hard to follow; there was a lot of dialogue, but no quotations, and there was a lot of poor sentence structure. Other then that, I absolutely loved this book and I would recommend this to about anyone, really.
Cé
Oct 11, 2009 rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one.
Brock Cole did an excellent job in this book of making you feel, as another reviewer mentioned, detached and numb. I felt sick as I read it. I had loved Celine (it is my favorite book) but this book turned my stomach over a few times. Is not a feel-good book.
Melissa
YA National Book Award Finalist. Well written story of a girl who is molested by several men. Told in the first person and accurately captures the emotional tone and circumstances of many molest victims.
Discoverylover
An extremely gripping but slightly scary story. Not sure where I got this from but it was a good book to read over the long weekend when I didn't want to take too big a book back with me.
Maree
I think this is a case of this just not being the right time to read this book. Also, I really can't get my head around books which don't use quotation marks.
Tammie
the tone of this book is perfect.
Its a comedy in its own way.
It jokes about life.
This book is so innocent yet so dangerous.
Im just mesmerized.
Connie Klever
13 year old girl lives in with unstable mother and younger brothers. She shares how she witnessed a rape & murder to her social worker.
  • You Hear Me?: Poems and Writing by Teenage Boys
  • Life is Funny
  • Detour for Emmy (Hamilton High, #1)
  • When Dad Killed Mom
  • A Hero Ain't Nothin But a Sandwich
  • Crazy
  • Deal With It: A Whole New Approach to Your Body, Brain and Life as a gURL
  • The Terrorist
  • Final Exit: The Practicalities of Self-deliverance & Assisted Suicide for the Dying
  • Goose (Paper Aeroplanes, #2)
  • What's Happening to My Body? Book for Girls: A Growing-Up Guide for Parents and Daughters
  • We All Fall Down
Brock Cole was born a year before the Second World War in a small town in Michigan. Because of his father's work, his family moved frequently, but he never regarded these relocations as a hardship.

"I thought of myself as something of an explorer, even though my explorations never took me very far. I had a deep and intimate acquaintance with woodlots, creeks, lakes, back streets, and alleys all ove...more
More about Brock Cole...