A Meaning for Wife

A Meaning for Wife

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Your wife is killed by a cashew (anaphylactic shock), but there isn't time to grieve because your toddler son is always at your heels—wanting to be fed, to be played with, or to sleep next to you all night long. A change of pace seems necessary, so you decide to visit your parents in order to attend your twenty-year high school reunion. What begins as a weekend getaway qui...more
Published November 15th 2011 by Ig Publishing

Gia
I will start by saying that I read this book out of curiosity since the writer was my teacher and I'd read "Unrelated Individuals Forming a Group Waiting to Cross", which I loved, so I thought I'd also give a go to his prose. I do not regret it at all.
This book is about loss, about grieving and about how life in general evolves. It is very sad at times, very heartwarming and very funny and witty, which is an interesting combination. The author manages to put a number of feelings in the same page...more
ABC Group
I've been a fan of IG Publishing for a while and decided to give Mark Yakich's new book a shot. I really loved this story. Terribly sad from the start, A Meaning For Wife tackles issues of coping with death and raising a child alone. Hardly an attempt is made to explain single parenthood. The issue at hand is raising a baby alone when your wife is dead, when she dies of anaphylactic shock of all things.

The book is written entirely in the second person. I was afraid this would come off a bit like...more
Erika Dreifus
Please see my review on Fiction Writers Review. Review based on complimentary review copy.
David
Read my review on New York Journal of Books: http://goo.gl/0NUAk
Lori
Aug 02, 2011 Lori marked it as to-read
from publisher
Zane
Zane marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2013
Hugo
Hugo marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2012
OOdniceOO
OOdniceOO marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2012
Bee Meekers
Bee Meekers marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2012
Miriam
Miriam marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2012
Annamarie
Annamarie is currently reading it
Feb 01, 2012
Nancy Sirvent
Nancy Sirvent marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2011
zxvasdf
zxvasdf marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2011
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2011
Samantha Allen
Samantha Allen marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2011
Pete Faziani
Pete Faziani marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2011
Unrelated Individuals Forming a Group Waiting to Cross The Importance of Peeling Potatoes in Ukraine The Making of Collateral Beauty Green Zone New Orleans What, Friends, is a City?