Start by marking “Katwalk (Kat Colorado, #1)” as Want to Read:
Katwalk (Kat Colorado, #1)

Katwalk (Kat Colorado #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  1,009 ratings  ·  30 reviews
When private eye Kat Colorado accepts a routine assignment investigating one man's finances, she never dreams that she will become embroiled in the elaborate, illegal, and dangerous scheming of a madman.
Published September 1st 1990 by Avon Books (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Katwalk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Katwalk

Blind Corners by Jemir Robert JohnsonDead Light District by Jill EdmondsonImpeding Justice by M.A. ComleyCruel Justice by M.A. ComleyFinal Justice by M.A. Comley
Best Hardboiled Chick Detectives
18th out of 25 books — 20 voters
Of Mice and Men by John SteinbeckEast of Eden by John SteinbeckThe Grapes of Wrath by John SteinbeckThe Joy Luck Club by Amy TanThe Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
Novels Set in California
257th out of 366 books — 204 voters

More lists with this book...

Barbara ★
PI Kat Colorado tries to unravel a real estate investment scam without getting killed in the process. She meets some wonderful people in Las Vegas, Joe and Betty and falls for Hank Parker. I'm darn sure we'll be seeing these characters again. Though I enjoyed the book, I can't honestly say that I was surprised at the ending. Typical adventure for a hard-headed female investigator: girl gets case, case becomes dangerous, boyfriend warns her off, girl rebels and gets captured and threatened, boyfr ...more
Betty
It has been awhile since I have seen books by her. I have wandered what happened. I miss this series.
A.
If it isn't already clear from the books I have listed here, I'm a sucker for a good mystery series with female protagonists; I picked the first Kat Colorado book up on the recommendation of the Novelist readers' advisory engine, and so far I'm enjoying Kat Colorado more than Kinsey Millhone (I gave up on Sue Grafton after H) but less than V.I. Warshawski and Stephanie Plum. Slightly more heavy than Evanovich but less than Paretsky, and a seemingly good mix of romance and mystery. Enjoyable enou ...more
aPriL eVoLvEs (ex-Groot)
Kat Colorado has already had an amazing 32 years and she is only getting started. Born to an alcoholic prostitute who did not want her or her accidental little sister, Cissy (Kat isn't certain her sister ever had an official name, but that is what her mother called the little girl - the mother was careless about naming both girls, not caring), she has become a private investigator after 8 years as a bartender, and 5 years as a investigative newspaper reporter. She picked up a Berkeley college ed ...more
bookczuk
I read another Kat Colorado book, which was my first, and was pleasantly surprised. Now, having read this book and another one as well, I am still pleasantly surprised. It's also nice to be filling in some of the background info on the "regular" characters. Kat's adopted grandmother occasionally reminded me of a certain octogenarian in our household. :) I plan to read more of the Kat series when I need a little bit of this sort of reading.
Vikki
Feb 12, 2008 Vikki rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes Janet Evanovich
I fell in love with these books from moment one. I found Kat Colorado to be a fun and quirky character and a less known predecessor to the now popular Stephanie Plum (series by Janet Evanovich). It was through my search to find similar authors to Kijewski that I stumbled upon Evanovich. Both women have a way of words and a way of making a story funny without being absurd.
Margaret
Aug 12, 2011 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2005
liked this book a little more than I thought I would - the Kat Colorado character is kind of a cross between Kinsey Mahone (Sue Grafton) and Stephanie Plum (Janet Evanovich). She's not quite as humorless as Kinsey but not as madcap as Stephanie either. I'd consider reading more books in the series.
Joni
Read this some time ago. I remember really enjoying Kijewski's work, read all she had out at the time, and then nothing. A shame. Strong characters, well plotted.
Antof9
(This journal entry written on the plane to Charleston, so the tenses might be confusing!)

Here are some notes I wrote on the plane while reading:

I liked the tone of this author's writing. She's a little bit sassy, a little tongue-in-cheek, and often funny, while still saying real things about friendship and relationships, too. When Kat's friend Charity asks her to take on a job, Kat thinks about how much she hates working for friends. Among other things, it's "messy." I thought about it as I dro
Betty
I read this 25 years ago and just reread it. Except for no cell phones, this reads like a contemporary novel. I thought the end was a bit far-fetched, but I plan to read the next in the series because I did like the main character. I know it won awards when it was first published, but I was not overwhelmed.
Suzanne
(view spoiler)
Eliana
Apr 06, 2014 Eliana added it
The principle character in this series is Kat Colorado, a private detective in Sacramento, California.
Kat Colorado is a wise-cracking, thirty-something California bartender-turned-P.I., a curious cat with nine lives.
C A
Good book, kept me interested. Situated mostly in a future vacation destination. The action was exciting but not gory, dirty, or sleepy which makes a book not as readable for me. Made me curious as to what the next one has in store.
Kristine
This book was recommended to me because I am a fan of Sue Grafton and her Kinsey character. I did find myself comparing the two often and even went to my home library to check the copywrite date of A is for Alibi so I could be sure who started first. Both characters are single female Private eyes, but they are very different. I did like Kat as well as the other characters in this story and I found the book to be a very easy read. The story line did make sence and I do appreciate that in a myste ...more
Ubalstecha
Kat Colorado is your typical P.I., tough, possesing a sad, tortured background and a bit of a loner. This first book in the series finds Kat breaking one of her cardinal rules, don't work for friends. Adter agreeing to find out what a good friend's soon to be ex-husband has done with a missing $200,000, Kat finds herself in Las Vegas. Upto her neck in shady land deals and money laundering, she also finds herself testing old friendships and new.

Not a bad piece detective fiction. A little on the l
Sue
May 31, 2008 Sue rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers, private-eye readers
Recommended to Sue by: Moi
Shelves: mystery, comedy
This is a fun female private-eye book to read! I bought this in the 80's and held on to it, waiting for the right mood to strike me to read it and it's now. If you liked Janet Evanovich books I think you will enjoy this! Great lead character who is a bit self deprecating - you will find yourself chuckling out loud while reading this book ;)
EXCELLENT READ! One you get into it the story really starts rolling. Cleverly written and realistic to a point - I stayed up till 1am to finish reading this
Mary Sue
Feb 26, 2008 Mary Sue rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mary Sue by: library book club
Kate(Kat)Colorado is hired by her firend to find out where sooon to be Ex has hidden a bunch of money. Kat follows the money from Sacramento to Las Vegas. At the airport she bumps into an old childhgood friend who in reality is a hit-man. In the course of the investigation several people end up dead, some of them innocent by-standers, and Kat geta a broken arm, cracked ribs and lots of bruisers.Kat is a tough fighter but I wonder how she made the mental leaps she did in the course of the investi ...more
LJ
KATWALK - EX
Kijewski, Karen - 1st in series

Sacramento investigator Kat Colorado jets to Las Vegas to check on a fortune owed to her friend Charity Collins by Charity's ex-husband, Sam. Kat proves that Sam's story of losing the money at the casinos is a fraud, but before she confronts him, he dies.

Excellent start to a new PI series.
Lee
I was deciding if not to put this in my "cozy" section, but these are a little more than a PG rated mystery. This is the first of nine in the Kat Colorado series,written in the '90's. A very fun series taking place in Sacramento, CA, with Kat being a PI & a couple of quirky characters to give ya a chuckle.
Lynn Pribus
This was particularly fun to read, since I lived in Sacramento at the time and was in a critique group with Karen and had heard parts of it prior to publication. Fun to know the various places in the book.

Joe O'c
Very Good; Continuing character: Kat Colorado; former bartender turned investigator tracks a friend's ex-huisband to Vegas to get money; runs into a crooked real estate deal backed by a casino head.
Teena in Toronto
I read this book a couple years ago and enjoyed it. It's one in a series. A couple years later, she just stopped writing them which was too bad as I enjoyed them.
D Kaiser
This is an older series and the author hasn't written any new ones in a while. They may be more of a challenge to find but worth the effort.
Trak
Read a stack of these ages ago and enjoyed them. Found it difficult to keep track of the series as the books where hard to come by.
Dee
This is a series with a private investigator named Kat.
I liked it enough to get the second book.
Linda

This was a super quick read, enjoyable for what it is. Looking forward to the other 8 in the series.
Brandy
An easy, enjoyable read - I like Kat (she's a great, strong, but still feminine and believable character)
Barb
May 03, 2014 Barb rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mellissa
I felt as if I was reading a Kinsey Milholn novel. I cannot wait to read more of these.
Desiree
Was her first novel and wasn't great. Giving a second book a chance.
Chris Leuchtenburg
Flat footed plot.
  • Wolf in the Shadows (Sharon McCone, #14)
  • A Trouble of Fools (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #1)
  • Bloody Waters (Lupe Solano, #1)
  • A Killing Gift (April Woo, #8)
  • Jazz Funeral (Skip Langdon, #3)
  • Goodnight, Irene (Irene Kelly #1)
Karen J. Kijewski was born in Berkeley, California. Her father taught at the University of California, and she later attended the school, earning a BA and a Masters degree. Karen is a past president of the northern California chapter of the Mystery Writers of America. She has two daughters, and is currently living in Sacramento, California with her husband.
More about Karen Kijewski...

Kat Colorado (9 books)
  • Katapult (Kat Colorado, #2)
  • Kat's Cradle (Kat Colorado, #3)
  • Copy Kat (Kat Colorado, #4)
  • Wild Kat (Kat Colorado, #5)
  • Alley Kat Blues (Kat Colorado, #6)
  • Honky Tonk Kat (Kat Colorado, #7)
  • Kat Scratch Fever (Kat Colorado, #8)
  • Stray Kat Waltz (Kat Colorado, #9)
Kat Scratch Fever (Kat Colorado, #8) Alley Kat Blues (Kat Colorado, #6) Kat's Cradle (Kat Colorado, #3) Katapult (Kat Colorado, #2) Wild Kat (Kat Colorado, #5)