Start by marking “When the Wind Stops” as Want to Read:
When the Wind Stops

When the Wind Stops

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  193 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Where does the wind go when it stops?

When a little boy asks this question at the end of a happy day, his mother explains that the wind does not stop-it blows away to make the trees dance somewhere else.

Reassuringly, she tells him that nothing ever ends, it simply begins in another place or in another way. Rain goes back into the clouds to create new storms, waves fold back
Published January 31st 1997 by HarperCollins (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about When the Wind Stops, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Wind Stops

Connie
Feb 17, 2010 Connie rated it really liked it
My very first thought after reading this was "Pretty pictures. Bit hippy-dippy, but I like it."

Upon closer reflection, I mostly still think that. A little boy wants to know why the sun goes down and where it goes, and is told that the sun doesn't go down so much as go shine on another side of the world. And he's told similar things about the wind, and the seasons, and the sea and so on - there's no end to any of it.

So, yes, vaguely new-agey, but I see nothing in it that could offend... well, any
Pingping Xiao
Feb 24, 2016 Pingping Xiao rated it it was amazing
This is a picture book from Charlotte Zolotow, it first published in 1995. I love this book because it is simple and meaningful. I will definitely read this book to my children in the future. In this book, I experienced a pure soul of child, they are wondering about this fantasy world. Even me as an adult now was touched by this warm book. When the little boy asked his mom, "Why does the day have to end?" I felt myself could not get a answer of this question in that moment. When his mom answered ...more
Merrow
Feb 26, 2009 Merrow rated it really liked it
I was sold on this book the first time I flipped through it; the illustrations are beautiful! After a perfect day a young boy asks his mother why the day has to end. "It begins in another place, or in a different way." Thus begins a gentle introduction to the never-ending cycles and continuity of the natural world.
Jeana
Apr 25, 2012 Jeana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
One of my favorites (I'm pretty sure I pick it at bedtime because I love it, although my kids like it too), When the Wind Stops is a sweet story about how nothing ever ends; it just changes. Zolotow is one of my mom's favorite authors. The illustrations in this edition are phenomenal!
Georgia
Dec 02, 2012 Georgia rated it it was amazing
Just as in the wonderful family book If You Listen, Charlotte Zolotow and illustrator Stefano Vitale team up for a beautiful moving book about a boy who discovers where the wind goes when it stops, in the children’s book When the Wind Stops.
The book begins with the day coming to an end, and a little boy recapping what he had done that day. After his father reads him a story, he turns to bed and is tucked in by his mother. He begins asking his mother why the day has to end (5), and she replies “
Tim Vandenberg
Feb 02, 2015 Tim Vandenberg rated it really liked it
Absolutely LOVED Stefano Vitale's vivid & vibrant wood-grain-based art! Wow!
Charlotte Zolotow's "Cycle of Life" text is simple & beautiful, but the real pop to this new-art edition is Vitale's explosive simplicity. Pay special attention to how he uses every grain of wood to emphasize his vision. Astounding!

VERY recommended as a read-together and for all adults appreciative of simply powerful children's art!
Kathryn Brewer
This story was a great book to read when I am focusing on seasons in the classroom. Also this book focuses on nature so it would be a great story to use to pull in the cycle of nature. The illustrations are nice for the children to look at and see the pictures of nature. It is a quick read so it would be good to use when I want to add a story into a lesson.
Dolly
Apr 24, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a soothing, reaffirming story about the cycle of day and night, seasons, and the way that nature forms an endless circle that refreshes itself. It depicts a little boy asking his mom many questions and gives her simple, consistent answers. It is a terrific book to read at bedtime and would likely reassure a young child who is anxious about the night. The illustrations are softly muted and calming and complement the story nicely. We really enjoyed reading this book together.

interesting p
Rosa Cline
Jul 27, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, bedtime
What a beautiful book to read to your child for bedtime and or read to when all the 'why' questions about nature come up. The illustrations are wonderful as well. My 3 year old granddaughter enjoyed the illustrations just as much as she did the beautiful story, and it was a delight to read it to her.
Meg
Jan 31, 2015 Meg rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations and a conversation between parent and child about where the sun goes when it sets, where the wind goes when it stops blowing, where the rain goes when the storm is over... "Nothing ends," the mother tells the child. "It begins in another place or in a different way."
Maria Bulfamante
This is a great book, not one of my favorites, but I didn't enjoy reading it. It talks about how nothing ever ends, it just changes. The illustrations in this book are amazing and I would recommend it.
Kristine
May 06, 2015 Kristine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. The illustrations are beautiful and the lesson in it is great. This is a book that I definitely recommend.
EBugs
Apr 13, 2016 EBugs rated it really liked it
This would be a wonderful book to read again and again to a child. Calm and reassuring.
Illeyana
Jan 30, 2015 Illeyana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and would recommend it to other. I was impressed that throughout the story the mother explicitly states how things never end but simply change. The illustrations are great, as well.
Text to text: What is the sun?
Rachel
Oct 30, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
During a bedtime chat, a mother reassures her son that nothing ends...it only changes. The book beautifully, compassionately explores the comforting cyclical nature of each day, of the Wheel of seasons, and even of life itself. As a pagan mother, this book is a perfect introduction to the overall idea of reincarnation, of growth and death and rebirth, and the interconnectedness of life on our planet. The illustrations are glorious and the text thoughtfully simple.
Lara Lleverino
Jul 14, 2008 Lara Lleverino rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who loves beautifully illustrated children's books
Recommended to Lara by: Honey for a Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt
Emma, my 8 year old, read this to me. The story was simple enough but the art by Stefano Vitale was so beautiful that we decided to buy two copies of this book. One to read and keep in our personal library and one to cut up and frame to hang the pictures in Emma's room. Emma is very artistic and she spent a lot of time taking in all the details of the illustrations.
Kelsey
Jun 15, 2012 Kelsey rated it really liked it
Age: Preschool - 2nd grade

"When a little boy asks his mother where the wind goes when it stops she answers, "It blows away to make the trees dance somewhere else". Her reassuring answers to his questions make it clear that nothing in nature ever ends; that life simply begins again in another place or another way" (Goodreads feature review).

Sally
Feb 24, 2008 Sally rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adore Stefano Vitale's illustrations. Yum. Simple, yet rich; clean and organic. Zolotow's words are sweet, explaining the constant cycling of nature and life, but it's the color-washed wood-grained images that captured my heart.
jacky
Apr 06, 2013 jacky rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I found this when searching for fiction featuring the wind. Though its the title, it is not a story about wind. Instead, it is an "I love you" story much like Mama, Do You Love Me? or The Runaway Bunny.
Mrs Bond
Mar 10, 2009 Mrs Bond rated it liked it
Shelves: nature
Beautiful illustrations on wood canvas add to the very natural feel of this book. Wonderful as a bedtime story. Great to help discussion on the continuity of life; the end of one thing is the beginning of another.
Amy
May 27, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Gorgeous pictures...about how nothing really ends, every ending is also a beginning, good bedtime story (where does the sun go). About wind, waves, the sun & moon and seasons.
Beth
May 13, 2010 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
"Nothing ends." The mother continues, "It begins in another place or in a different way."
This is a peaceful read aloud that also encourages asking questions.
Jen Courtright
Mar 20, 2012 Jen Courtright rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone reading to preschoolers
My son likes this book, it expains things that he asks about all the time in a way he can relate to. And I love the illustrations. It is a great kids book.
Tessa
Apr 29, 2012 Tessa rated it it was amazing
I love reading this book - it's so calming! Of course, I'm the one who ends up falling asleep but whatever. I really enjoyed Vitale's illustrations as well.
Michael Fitzgerald
Most of the illustrations (the ones with faces) are disappointing. The remainder are nice. Would like to see the original illustrations.
Leila T.
Jun 27, 2011 Leila T. rated it it was amazing
I want to own this. Such a surprisingly wonderful book. Love the illustrations, so painterly and unusual, and am in love with the story.
Lori Smith
This book is appropriate for grades K through 3. It supports the teaching of the night sky, sun, and the seasons.
Amber
May 17, 2009 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
a gift from a dear friend--one of the best books for children and adults i've read in awhile.
Chak
Apr 06, 2009 Chak rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid
Good kid's version of life's cycles and recursive nature. Ages 4-8.
  • Wild Child
  • Henry Hikes to Fitchburg
  • One Leaf Rides the Wind
  • Finding Wild
  • Mud
Charlotte Zolotow (born Charlotte Gertrude Shapiro) was an American author, poet, editor, and publisher of many books for children.
She was published by more than 20 different houses (many of which she has outlasted). She was an editor, and later publisher, at Harper & Row, which was called Harper & Brothers when she began to work there and is now known as HarperCollins.
Among the many write
More about Charlotte Zolotow...