When the Wind Stops

When the Wind Stops

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Where does the wind go when it stops?

When a little boy asks this question at the end of a happy day, his mother explains that the wind does not stop-it blows away to make the trees dance somewhere else.

Reassuringly, she tells him that nothing ever ends, it simply begins in another place or in another way. Rain goes back into the clouds to create new storms, waves fold back...more
Published January 31st 1997 by HarperCollins (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about When the Wind Stops, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Wind Stops

Connie
My very first thought after reading this was "Pretty pictures. Bit hippy-dippy, but I like it."

Upon closer reflection, I mostly still think that. A little boy wants to know why the sun goes down and where it goes, and is told that the sun doesn't go down so much as go shine on another side of the world. And he's told similar things about the wind, and the seasons, and the sea and so on - there's no end to any of it.

So, yes, vaguely new-agey, but I see nothing in it that could offend... well, any...more
Merrow
I was sold on this book the first time I flipped through it; the illustrations are beautiful! After a perfect day a young boy asks his mother why the day has to end. "It begins in another place, or in a different way." Thus begins a gentle introduction to the never-ending cycles and continuity of the natural world.
Jeana
One of my favorites (I'm pretty sure I pick it at bedtime because I love it, although my kids like it too), When the Wind Stops is a sweet story about how nothing ever ends; it just changes. Zolotow is one of my mom's favorite authors. The illustrations in this edition are phenomenal!
Georgia
Just as in the wonderful family book If You Listen, Charlotte Zolotow and illustrator Stefano Vitale team up for a beautiful moving book about a boy who discovers where the wind goes when it stops, in the children’s book When the Wind Stops.
The book begins with the day coming to an end, and a little boy recapping what he had done that day. After his father reads him a story, he turns to bed and is tucked in by his mother. He begins asking his mother why the day has to end (5), and she replies “...more
Dolly
Apr 24, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a soothing, reaffirming story about the cycle of day and night, seasons, and the way that nature forms an endless circle that refreshes itself. It depicts a little boy asking his mom many questions and gives her simple, consistent answers. It is a terrific book to read at bedtime and would likely reassure a young child who is anxious about the night. The illustrations are softly muted and calming and complement the story nicely. We really enjoyed reading this book together.

interesting p...more
Rachel
During a bedtime chat, a mother reassures her son that nothing ends...it only changes. The book beautifully, compassionately explores the comforting cyclical nature of each day, of the Wheel of seasons, and even of life itself. As a pagan mother, this book is a perfect introduction to the overall idea of reincarnation, of growth and death and rebirth, and the interconnectedness of life on our planet. The illustrations are glorious and the text thoughtfully simple.
Lara Lleverino
Jul 14, 2008 Lara Lleverino rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves beautifully illustrated children's books
Recommended to Lara by: Honey for a Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt
Emma, my 8 year old, read this to me. The story was simple enough but the art by Stefano Vitale was so beautiful that we decided to buy two copies of this book. One to read and keep in our personal library and one to cut up and frame to hang the pictures in Emma's room. Emma is very artistic and she spent a lot of time taking in all the details of the illustrations.
Kelsey
Age: Preschool - 2nd grade

"When a little boy asks his mother where the wind goes when it stops she answers, "It blows away to make the trees dance somewhere else". Her reassuring answers to his questions make it clear that nothing in nature ever ends; that life simply begins again in another place or another way" (Goodreads feature review).

Sally
I absolutely adore Stefano Vitale's illustrations. Yum. Simple, yet rich; clean and organic. Zolotow's words are sweet, explaining the constant cycling of nature and life, but it's the color-washed wood-grained images that captured my heart.
jacky
I found this when searching for fiction featuring the wind. Though its the title, it is not a story about wind. Instead, it is an "I love you" story much like Mama, Do You Love Me? or The Runaway Bunny.
Mrs Bond
Beautiful illustrations on wood canvas add to the very natural feel of this book. Wonderful as a bedtime story. Great to help discussion on the continuity of life; the end of one thing is the beginning of another.
Amy
Gorgeous pictures...about how nothing really ends, every ending is also a beginning, good bedtime story (where does the sun go). About wind, waves, the sun & moon and seasons.
Beth
"Nothing ends." The mother continues, "It begins in another place or in a different way."
This is a peaceful read aloud that also encourages asking questions.
Jen Courtright
Mar 20, 2012 Jen Courtright rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone reading to preschoolers
My son likes this book, it expains things that he asks about all the time in a way he can relate to. And I love the illustrations. It is a great kids book.
Tessa
I love reading this book - it's so calming! Of course, I'm the one who ends up falling asleep but whatever. I really enjoyed Vitale's illustrations as well.
Leila T.
I want to own this. Such a surprisingly wonderful book. Love the illustrations, so painterly and unusual, and am in love with the story.
Lori Smith
This book is appropriate for grades K through 3. It supports the teaching of the night sky, sun, and the seasons.
Amber
a gift from a dear friend--one of the best books for children and adults i've read in awhile.
Chak
Apr 06, 2009 Chak rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kid
Good kid's version of life's cycles and recursive nature. Ages 4-8.
Stephanie
Beautiful words and beautiful illustrations!
Jon
all we are is energy and love
Elizabeth
I love these pictures.
Brindha
Brindha marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Scott Grant
Scott Grant marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Charlotte Zolotow (born Charlotte Gertrude Shapiro) was an American author, poet, editor, and publisher of many books for children.
She was published by more than 20 different houses (many of which she has outlasted). She was an editor, and later publisher, at Harper & Row, which was called Harper & Brothers when she began to work there and is now known as HarperCollins.
Among the many write...more
More about Charlotte Zolotow...
Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present William's Doll The Storm Book Big Sister and Little Sister The Seashore Book