Start by marking “Touch and Go” as Want to Read:
Touch and Go

Touch and Go

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  16 reviews
To escape an addiction, a young blind man in California steps into a station wagon with his friends and their foster kids to deliver a handmade casket to a dying grandfather in Florida. As they battle their way across the southern half of the nation, this rag-tag American family falls prey to love and lies, greed and violence, crime and Katrina. With a voice reminiscent of ...more
Published September 27th 2011 by Unbridled Books (first published August 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Touch and Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Touch and Go

Maggie
I was pleasantly surprised by Nodine's debut novel Touch and Go. I love a story with a strong, first-person narrator and this novel did not disappoint. Touch and Go starts out as a road trip story, full of unlikely characters and wonderful episodes along the way, but it differs in that the narrator, Kevin, is blind. I was afraid that this would somehow limit the story, but have no fear--Nodine's descriptions are rich and detailed in a way that is new and different. Like many road trip stories, t ...more
Jenn Ravey
A blind man and recovering addict, his two sponsors, and a couple foster kids + a road trip to the Gulf in hurricane season with a coffin riding on top of the station wagon= chaos.

Ok, a few notes to start with. Kevin is the blind man. Isa and Patrick are his sponsors. Devon and Ray are the foster kids. Isa's father is ill, and Patrick has a hand-hewn casket for him. They load everyone in the car and bump along on the way to Florida. They are a family of sorts, but each is on shaky ground, leavin
Rebecca
This book really could have been a must-read - the type of book you'd walk away from thinking, "Wow." Unfortunately, as a first novel it feels underdeveloped and a little rough around the edges; despite its strong start, it stumbles in the end and struggles with pacing and lack of real resolution toward the end.

>Touch and Go< is, at its heart, a road-trip book about a rag-tag family going cross country to deliver a coffin to the dying father of one of the group, in a very >As I Lay Dying<
Lori
From publisher

Read 11/17/11 - 11/23/11
4 Stars - Strongly Recommended
Pgs: 342
Publisher: Unbridled Books

Be prepared to see the world through the eyes of a blind man. Touch and Go, by debut novelist Thad Nodine, is a multi-cultural, non-traditional masterpiece that will worm its way into every reader's heart.

Kevin, an ex-addict who was blinded in a freak accident as a child, narrates the journey he makes across country with his quirky sponsor family - Isa, Patrick, and their two foster kids Devon a
Kristy
Nodine's debut novel is about a thrown-together family of a blind ex-junkie, the married couple he met in rehab, and the couple's two foster children on a road trip from California to Florida to visit a dying father. I ended up liking this one way more than I thought I would, mostly due to the unique narration by the blind character, Kevin. Having all the other characters, flashbacks and continuing action described only through sound, touch, and smell sounds a little gimmicky, but is really effe ...more
Corinne
Touch and Go was good, although it could have used a little bit more work with pacing, especially at the end. I have deep respect for an author who writes a novel in first person point of view from the perspective of a blind narrator. Nodine really set up a challenge for himself, as the narrator, Kevin, cannot see, so his form of showing and not telling comes through describing the feel of things, the sounds, the smells. While Nodine handled this very well, there were times that I felt his hyper ...more
Jill Robbertze
I enjoyed this novel. A story that reminded me a bit of one of my favourite movies, "Little Miss Sunshine"....a bunch of offbeat characters that make up a family on a mission. I give this book 3.5 stars.
Erin
This was a great story of an unlikely group of people in interesting circumstances. I enjoyed the twists and turns and development of the characters. I was fortunate enough to hear the author speak on a few occasions regarding his story and process which added to my experience...I hope he follows through with plans to continue with some of these characters in future novels!
Jules Vilmur
If I taught a writing class, I would use the first chapter of "Touch And Go" as an example of a brilliant set-up, precisely what every story needs. On the weight of that first chapter, I had high hopes for the novel and yet, I didn't expect it to take me to the places it did or deliver above and beyond the promise of those first few words. A really beautiful book.

Lee
Apr 19, 2012 Lee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
Humor, compassion, characters that come alive and stay with you. Writing that conjures up a sense of place - creating powerful images. Genuine insights into the human condition. And a story that rolls across the country taking the reader on a wonderful ride. Helluva' fine book.
Shawn
Really a good book written from the perspective of a blind man as their "family" travels from California to Florida by car. The description and narrative was really well done. I would like to think that many of you would enjoy this book.
Stephanie Godley
I really liked the story line but at times the book dragged and kind of lost me. But it was different from my "usual" and I enjoyed that and the characters. Some of it felt a little forced, but a good story line.
Davina
'Touch and Go' is a great book. It was easy to read and keeps your attention. It's enjoyable and helped me to see life through very different perspectives.
Julia
It is a story that tries to cover too much: blindness, addiction, foster care, odyssey, Hurricane Katrina, love and loss, etc., etc.
Sue
Really random storyline but fun to read. Interesting perspective as as descriptions are from the viewpoint of a character who is blind.
Charlie
Started slow, but I liked it.
Tarra
Tarra added it
Jan 21, 2015
Mary Dean
Mary Dean marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Aimee Owen
Aimee Owen marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Samantha Lesperance
Samantha Lesperance marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Jeri
Jeri added it
Aug 13, 2014
Narumon
Narumon marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Fixing My Gaze: A Scientist's Journey Into Seeing in Three Dimensions
  • Find Your Focus Zone: An Effective New Plan to Defeat Distraction and Overload
  • Brains: How They Seem to Work
  • Heartsight
  • The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book: A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
  • Moon Over Madeline Island
  • More Bitter than Death (An Emma Fielding Mystery #5)
  • Looks: Why They Matter More Than You Ever Imagined
  • Style on a Shoestring
  • Strangers (Faye Longchamp, #6)
  • 1,001 Low-Carb Recipes: Hundreds of Delicious Recipes from Dinner to Dessert That Let You Live Your Low-Carb Lifestyle and Never Look Back
  • Frumpy to Fabulous: Flaunting It. Your Ultimate Guide to Effortless Style
  • Dreaming: A Very Short Introduction
  • Christmas Cake
  • A Darker God (Laetitia Talbot, #3)
  • The Chinese Alchemist (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #11)
  • Wear This, Toss That!: Hundreds of Fashion and Beauty Swaps That Save Your Looks, Save Your Budget, and Save You Time
Thad Nodine grew up in Florida and now lives in Santa Cruz. His fiction and nonfiction have appeared in many magazines. Touch and Go, which won the Dana Award for the Novel, is his first novel.
More about Thad Nodine...