Start by marking “Touch and Go” as Want to Read:
Touch and Go

Touch and Go

To escape an addiction, a young blind man in California steps into a station wagon with his friends and their foster kids to deliver a handmade casket to a dying grandfather in Florida. As they battle their way across the southern half of the nation, this rag-tag American family falls prey to love and lies, greed and violence, crime and Katrina. With a voice reminiscent of ...more
Published September 27th 2011 by Unbridled Books (first published August 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Touch and Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Touch and Go

Maggie
Sep 22, 2011 Maggie rated it it was amazing
I was pleasantly surprised by Nodine's debut novel Touch and Go. I love a story with a strong, first-person narrator and this novel did not disappoint. Touch and Go starts out as a road trip story, full of unlikely characters and wonderful episodes along the way, but it differs in that the narrator, Kevin, is blind. I was afraid that this would somehow limit the story, but have no fear--Nodine's descriptions are rich and detailed in a way that is new and different. Like many road trip stories, t ...more
Jenn Ravey
Jan 27, 2012 Jenn Ravey rated it it was ok
A blind man and recovering addict, his two sponsors, and a couple foster kids + a road trip to the Gulf in hurricane season with a coffin riding on top of the station wagon= chaos.

Ok, a few notes to start with. Kevin is the blind man. Isa and Patrick are his sponsors. Devon and Ray are the foster kids. Isa's father is ill, and Patrick has a hand-hewn casket for him. They load everyone in the car and bump along on the way to Florida. They are a family of sorts, but each is on shaky ground, leavin
Lori
Jul 27, 2011 Lori rated it really liked it
From publisher

Read 11/17/11 - 11/23/11
4 Stars - Strongly Recommended
Pgs: 342
Publisher: Unbridled Books

Be prepared to see the world through the eyes of a blind man. Touch and Go, by debut novelist Thad Nodine, is a multi-cultural, non-traditional masterpiece that will worm its way into every reader's heart.

Kevin, an ex-addict who was blinded in a freak accident as a child, narrates the journey he makes across country with his quirky sponsor family - Isa, Patrick, and their two foster kids Devon a
Corinne
Mar 15, 2013 Corinne rated it liked it
Shelves: norcal-writers
Touch and Go was good, although it could have used a little bit more work with pacing, especially at the end. I have deep respect for an author who writes a novel in first person point of view from the perspective of a blind narrator. Nodine really set up a challenge for himself, as the narrator, Kevin, cannot see, so his form of showing and not telling comes through describing the feel of things, the sounds, the smells. While Nodine handled this very well, there were times that I felt his hyper ...more
Monique Hodgkinson
Nov 08, 2015 Monique Hodgkinson rated it liked it
At times it was hard to tell where this book was going and then other times the insights aroundthis dysfunctional family were well done.. There were moments of brilliance with the sensitivity and insights about interactions between characters. But there were also moments that the characters were too stereotypical and canned, including the suprise circumstances at the end. But I did get swept up in the drama. For a first novel, it is a good start and it will be interesting where this local writer ...more
Jules Vilmur
Jan 11, 2012 Jules Vilmur rated it really liked it
If I taught a writing class, I would use the first chapter of "Touch And Go" as an example of a brilliant set-up, precisely what every story needs. On the weight of that first chapter, I had high hopes for the novel and yet, I didn't expect it to take me to the places it did or deliver above and beyond the promise of those first few words. A really beautiful book.

Linnet
May 06, 2015 Linnet rated it liked it
They're an interesting family. Isa and Patrick are married. They met in rehab and fell in love they also met Kevin there. He's blind, injured in a horrendous childhood accident. And there are two foster children, Devon, 16 and African American and little Ray. This family is traveling from LA to Florida to visit Isa's father. How could they not have adventures on the way?
Lee
Aug 28, 2011 Lee rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Humor, compassion, characters that come alive and stay with you. Writing that conjures up a sense of place - creating powerful images. Genuine insights into the human condition. And a story that rolls across the country taking the reader on a wonderful ride. Helluva' fine book.
Stephanie Godley
Jan 02, 2012 Stephanie Godley rated it liked it
I really liked the story line but at times the book dragged and kind of lost me. But it was different from my "usual" and I enjoyed that and the characters. Some of it felt a little forced, but a good story line.
Shawn
Jan 10, 2012 Shawn rated it really liked it
Really a good book written from the perspective of a blind man as their "family" travels from California to Florida by car. The description and narrative was really well done. I would like to think that many of you would enjoy this book.
Sue
Jul 24, 2012 Sue rated it liked it
Really random storyline but fun to read. Interesting perspective as as descriptions are from the viewpoint of a character who is blind.
Julia
Aug 06, 2012 Julia rated it liked it
It is a story that tries to cover too much: blindness, addiction, foster care, odyssey, Hurricane Katrina, love and loss, etc., etc.
Charlie
Oct 15, 2012 Charlie rated it liked it
Started slow, but I liked it.
Rebecca
This book really could have been a must-read - the type of book you'd walk away from thinking, "Wow." Unfortunately, as a first novel it feels underdeveloped and a little rough around the edges; despite its strong start, it stumbles in the end and struggles with pacing and lack of real resolution toward the end.

>Touch and Go< is, at its heart, a road-trip book about a rag-tag family going cross country to deliver a coffin to the dying father of one of the group, in a very >As I Lay Dyin
Kristy
Jan 18, 2012 Kristy rated it really liked it
Nodine's debut novel is about a thrown-together family of a blind ex-junkie, the married couple he met in rehab, and the couple's two foster children on a road trip from California to Florida to visit a dying father. I ended up liking this one way more than I thought I would, mostly due to the unique narration by the blind character, Kevin. Having all the other characters, flashbacks and continuing action described only through sound, touch, and smell sounds a little gimmicky, but is really effe ...more
Erin
Nov 18, 2011 Erin rated it really liked it
This was a great story of an unlikely group of people in interesting circumstances. I enjoyed the twists and turns and development of the characters. I was fortunate enough to hear the author speak on a few occasions regarding his story and process which added to my experience...I hope he follows through with plans to continue with some of these characters in future novels!
Jill Robbertze
Jun 29, 2014 Jill Robbertze rated it liked it
I enjoyed this novel. A story that reminded me a bit of one of my favourite movies, "Little Miss Sunshine"....a bunch of offbeat characters that make up a family on a mission. I give this book 3.5 stars.
Davina
Oct 09, 2012 Davina rated it it was amazing
'Touch and Go' is a great book. It was easy to read and keeps your attention. It's enjoyable and helped me to see life through very different perspectives.
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2012
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2011
Deby
Deby rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2012
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2012
Lesli
Lesli rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2012
Laura Stam
Laura Stam rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2012
Stacey Falls
Stacey Falls rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Manoshi Vasudevan
Manoshi Vasudevan rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2013
Valerie
Valerie rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2015
Jeana
Jeana rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2012
Cierhianna
Cierhianna rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Fixing My Gaze: A Scientist's Journey into Seeing in Three Dimensions
  • Brains: How They Seem to Work
  • Reprobate: A Katla Novel (Amsterdam Assassin, #1)
  • The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book: A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking
  • Fashion: A Very Short Introduction
  • Find Your Focus Zone: An Effective New Plan to Defeat Distraction and Overload
  • Where Do Nudists Keep Their Hankies?: ... and Other Naughty Questions You Always Wanted Answered
  • The Petite Advantage Diet: Achieve That Long, Lean Look. The Specialized Plan for Women 5'4" and Under.
  • Style on a Shoestring: Develop Your Cents of Style and Look Like a Million without Spending a Fortune
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
  • Autism: A Very Short Introduction
  • Moon Over Madeline Island
  • Branded Beauty: How Marketing Changed the Way We Look
  • Playing It by Heart: Taking Care of Yourself No Matter What
  • Looks: Why They Matter More Than You Ever Imagined
  • Wear This, Toss That!: Hundreds of Fashion and Beauty Swaps That Save Your Looks, Save Your Budget, and Save You Time
  • Hurty Feelings
  • 101 Foods That Could Save Your Life
Thad Nodine grew up in Florida and now lives in Santa Cruz. His fiction and nonfiction have appeared in many magazines. Touch and Go, which won the Dana Award for the Novel, is his first novel.
More about Thad Nodine...