Start by marking “The West: An Illustrated History” as Want to Read:
The West: An Illustrated History

The West: An Illustrated History

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The creators of the landmark public television series The Civil War and Baseball present a lavishly illustrated companion book to the forthcoming series tracing the history of the West. TV tie-in. $300,000 ad/promo. BOMC, History, & QPB Main.
Published December 21st 2008 by Pub Overstock Unlimited Inc (first published September 3rd 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The West, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The West

Jeff
Great introduction to the history of the American West. For someone like me, who has always been interested in that period of our history, but hadn't read much on the topic, this is a great "first book". The photographs are fantastic. You can spend all day just browsing this book, going back in time via the photography.

Being a companion book to a PBS documentary series it reads like a Ken Burns film. Because of this, the narrative jumps around a lot, and for the most part provides brief snipets
Colin
From the first famished Spaniards who washed up on Galveston Island to the flamboyant escapades of John C. Fremont. This book has the west pretty much covered. Overall you begin to get the impression that the settlers pulled no punches in those dusty roughhouse days. Taking care not to leave any buffalo alive nor any "savage" Injian outside of his pen. It seems to be a history written largely in blood and greed. It was gold or it was land or... god knows what, if it had a price, someone was goin ...more
Cindy
This was an audioversion of 'An Illustrated History' which I found at the library. It goes along with a series by Ken Burns.

Liked:

The stories. Varied in tone and texture, covering MOST (more about that later) of the major players in the American West.

The narration. Done by the author and more like a story than a history.

The writing. Vivid and interesting.

Disliked:

The music. What's with the dramatic music now and then? Very distracting, at times, louder than the narration. Really irritating.

Where
James Eckman
Why I originally checked this out for the photos, which while good, were not the kind I was looking for. Instead I found myself reading and skimming many of the articles which included minorities, Mormons and Indians. Interesting stuff. Not much manifest destiny like earlier books on the subject.

It would be a good introduction to western expansion for young adults as well as older folks.
Dad
PBS DVD. Interesting, but focused mostly on how the US took the land from the Indians. A sad time in our history.
Bonnie
Read, re-read and read again.
Kay
The panoramic sweep of this book is impressive. I read (or should I say "browsed") though this companion book while watching the Ken Burns' documentary of the same name, and found that the book expanded on subjects I wanted to pursue in more depth. That it to say, the book stands on its own. Wonderful illustrations -- just as a visual browse this is a good resource.
Daniel Evans
This book is very informative in exposing both sides of the west, white and red. It time-lines the events and hardships that where performed and documents how the west was won.
It's haunting pictures/daguerreotypes help illustrate the easy-to-read paragraphs, and give a personal sense between reader and character.
Susan
Love the collaborative aspect of this work. The West developed as a combination of many efforts, and that's true of this book as well. Thorough, informative, and entertaining, this book functions perfectly as a short college seminar on The History of The American West. Love.
Jaime Contreras
this is an incredible reference about the westward expansion of the US and the people who lived it. This was printed a a companion to the PBS series. This large book is full of stories, facts and history.
Dick
Look at the author . . . you know you have a quality job in this book. Filled with photos of old time players and teams and a lot of stories.
Riley
A kaleidoscope of stories about the settling of the west. I enjoyed most the parts about Spanish settlement before U.S. migration.
Kathleen McRae
The pictures in this book are evocative and really add to the dialogue. A very interesting book!
Elisabeth
hey, if you watch Deadwood you must look at this book to verify accuracy now and again.
I enjoyed reading this. I learned a lot of interesting things I hadn't known.
Amber
Wonderful photos and the layout is easy on the eyes
Hong
Hong is currently reading it
Sep 02, 2015
Valerie F
Valerie F marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Jarelly Gomez
Jarelly Gomez marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Queen A.
Queen A. marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Tina Denson
Tina Denson marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Lewis & Clark: The Journey of the Corps of Discovery
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Virgin Land: The American West as Symbol and Myth
  • A History of US: Book 7: Reconstructing America 1865-1890
  • The Age of Gold: The California Gold Rush and the New American Dream
  • American West
  • Down the Great Unknown: John Wesley Powell's 1869 Journey of Discovery and Tragedy Through the Grand Canyon
  • Riddles of Identity in Modern Times (A History of Private Life, #5)
  • Covered Wagon Women: Diaries and Letters from the Western Trails, 1840-1849 (Covered Wagon Women, #1)
  • The Lobster Coast: Rebels, Rusticators, and the Struggle for a Forgotten Frontier
  • Women Who Kill
  • The Reshaping of Everyday Life 1790-1840
  • Four Against the Arctic: Shipwrecked for Six Years at the Top of the World
  • Empire Express: Building the First Transcontinental Railroad
  • The Fortunes of Africa: A 5,000 year history of wealth, greed and endeavour
  • Passions of the Renaissance (A History of Private Life, #3)
  • From Lucy to Language: Revised, Updated, and Expanded
Geoffrey Champion Ward is an author and screenwriter of various documentary presentations of American history. He graduated from Oberlin College in 1962.

He was an editor of American Heritage magazine early in his career. He wrote the television mini-series The Civil War with its director Ken Burns and has collaborated with Burns on every documentary he has made since, including Jazz and Baseball.
More about Geoffrey C. Ward...
The Civil War: An Illustrated History Baseball The War: An Intimate History, 1941-1945 Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson Mark Twain