Java: How to Program

Java: How to Program

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  486 ratings  ·  39 reviews
The Deitels' groundbreaking "How to Program" series offers unparalleled breadth and depth of programming concepts and intermediate-level topics for further study. The books in this series feature hundreds of complete, working programs with thousands of lines of code. This edition is completely up-to-date with The Java 2 Platform Standard Edition (J2SE) 1.5. Now includes to...more
Paperback, Sixth Edition, 1568 pages
Published August 14th 2004 by Prentice Hall (first published September 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Java, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Java

Adel Ahmadyan
big, Boring & full of non-technical issues. Actually it's correct name should be "How to program, Java Edition". Dietel brothers didn't try to write a book on java, they just transfered their other books ( specially C++ HTP ) into the java version. Even the very novices can skip almost 10-12 chapters of this book without any difficulty however many lecturer recomend this for their own class because of it's comprehensive examples.

if you've read any other How to Program Series so there is no n...more
Carl-Erik Kopseng
I have three Deitel books. They are all comprehensive, full of examples and quite simply boring. They teach you what you need, but in a way reminiscent of a lifeless professor that has lost all passion. There are better books for learning and there are better books to serve as reference.
F.A.
Jun 14, 2011 F.A. rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: loaned
Bonne introduction au langage Java brut. Bon pour des très débutants en programmation (tout langage confondu). La partie OO n'est pas très bonne et la séquence d'apprentissage est bonne pour apprendre la programmation, mais pas du tout pour apprendre la philosophie OO.
Rustam
This book has a special place in my heart. It was the first book I learned Java with when I got into software engineering. In addition to that, it was one of the first editions, and I found a spelling mistake, submitted a correction to the authors, and promptly received a thank-you email from one of the Deitls.

Thank-me very much.
Michael Venzke
this version is pretty outdated now, but I was a big fan of deitel&deitel books when I was learning how to program.

they're best for new programmers in a new language.

adept programmers wanting to learn a new language would probably find these books too slow.
David
At the time that I read this, this was one of the better books on introductory Java that exists then. It is a great learning companion for the beginners in Java. It is a very easy read with plenty of code examples and exercises.
Michael
Mar 10, 2009 Michael rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: programmers
Reading thru this book to get my Java programming back in full swing.

Good book for reviewing Java. Worth the money and time.
Eddie
I don't like Java very much so this book was used just for reference. Pretty standard book.
Iabdullah
Amazing Book for people who want to be a programmer using Java
Isuru Madusanka
One of the best books in Java Programming.
Rakesh Ranjan
I need to study java
Eng Mido
good ****
Rob
Nearly put me off programming, which I love! :-/ Verbose and bloated explainations, bludgeons reader with extraneous details, not focused, and very dry read. Some Examples are decent, but it is a bad introduction to Java, it vacillates between Programming Primer and comprehensive Java Textbook.

I would recomend Head First Java, it is a far gentler introduction and a lot more fun to read!
Antonius
You'd think a book with "How to Program" twice in its title would be all I need for a first-course primer, but I had to stop studying on this textbook for now. It's really great, I can tell (I think). The thing is, I have absolutely no appreciation for programming since I mostly come from an enthusiast hardware perspective. I mean, I had no idea HTML and CSS (which I'm fine with) were not programming branches - ugh. So, I'm putting it on queue while I go to the very basics - some tutorials, and...more
Mahesh Gupta
First programming book of java read. Worth the size and thickness. :D

Interesting exercise and I woudl really recommend beginners to read the book.
The Madman
First, this is not how you write specially a JAVA book. Second, every book has its uses. So this book will probably find its uses, where a novice programmer has no other resources i.e., a skilled programmer, to learn programming in Java. OR, your sole target is to familiar yourself with the 'syntax' by typing a lot of code. OR, you need to memorize some portions of the Java library in a short time.

I think compared to this one, the C version is far better. Also, this is unnecessarily voluminous....more
Mohamed Sufyan Islim
Clear and informative. contains a lot of examples. However it is huge!
Lisa
This book taught me Java and some good programming practices along the way. The Deitel series is very structured (focused on theory and concepts, instead of applied projects), so you might not like it if you prefer hands-on manuals.

Apart from that, the text is probably geared towards beginners or intermediate users, and I always encourage teenagers to learn structured programming using Deitel books. Each chapter has both theory and problems which can be used to review and applied recently learn...more
Ahmad
I can understand why a lot of programmers gave this book 2 or 3 stars, it's because they're BEGINNERS. This book is for you only if you have read a couple other books about Java basics. For me, this book improved my programming skills a lot. It starts using object-oriented programming right from the first chapter, so when you reach the the sixth chapter, you will already be familiar with OOP to talk about inheritance and other advanced OOP skills. This book is also available as video training.

A...more
Tonk82
Buen método de aprendizaje en general, pero con dos problemas serios:

1.- Demasiado extenso. Dedicar 30 páginas a algo que cabe en 5, sin realmente llegar a una explicación profunda, es perder el tiempo.

2.- No sirve como manual de consulta. Es un método de aprendizaje, no de consulta. Es poco manejable.
Khaled
Jul 22, 2012 Khaled rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Novice Java Programmers
A very good book for novices, but not so good for intermediates and a waste of time for users who have some experience with a C-based language. It has some comprehensive examples though, and some excellent exercises which most of the other books lack.
Matt
A reasonable book for learning with lots of examples, activities, review and code exercises. Not good as a reference though and I seem to recall it was missing information on some subjects (can't think of what off-hand).
Yeltsin Lima
Não é recomendado para quem não conhece muito sobre a plataforma. Por mais que seja um bom livro, enche de explicações. Se fosse mais simplificado seria melhor.
Troy Campbell
Very comprehensive, in-depth book about programming in Java. For any Java developer, from beginner to moderate, this book is a must read.
Angel
I would not consider this to be the best book for learning Java. I had to reference other books to fully understand a lot of concepts.
Rachel
This was a really great book. It had a lot more examples of code than most books, which was helpful since I had a bad teacher for Java I.
Mohammad Sakr
the book is good for beginners but not enough to be professional you will need more time and real projects to improve your skills
Juan
Nov 18, 2012 Juan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
it is really usefull to comprenhend the way a programmer needs to devloip aplication on java as a programming language
What do you think about this book? 1 2 Jul 28, 2014 11:18AM
post a new discussion 2 13 Dec 11, 2008 04:39AM
  • Software Engineering (International Computer Science Series)
  • Java in a Nutshell
  • Writing Secure Code
  • Learning Perl
  • Head First Java

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
C++: How to Program C: How to Program C# How to Program Operating Systems C++ for Programmers