The Butcher of Anderson Station (Expanse, #0.5)

The Butcher of Anderson Station (Expanse 0.5)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  1,246 ratings  ·  109 reviews
A new story set in the world of The Expanse. One day, Colonel Fred Johnson will be hailed as a hero to the system. One day, he will meet a desperate man in possession of a stolen spaceship and a deadly secret and extend a hand of friendship. But long before he became the leader of the Outer Planets Alliance, Fred Johnson had a very different name. The Butcher of Anderson S...more
Published October 17th 2011 by Hachette Book Group (first published January 1st 2011)

Alejandro
I knew about this prequel story even before of reading "Leviathan Wakes", however, I decided to read before the actual first book on the series since I was afraid that in just 40 pages, it won't be possible to establish the literature universe of the series to really get this short story.

I think that I chose the right decision. It was a good introductory story to the character of Fred Johnson, who is a supportive but key character in the development of the story in "Leviathan Wakes". Even you ge...more
James
Jul 11, 2012 James rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of the Expanse series
Orbit Short Fiction seem to be making something of a success of the short-story form. This is the second one I've read - the first being Mira Grant's Countdown - and while neither of them are breaking exciting new literary ground they are providing an enjoyable set of prequels and spin-off stories from novel-length works or series. Like Countdown, this one too is a prequel - providing some back-story for one of the characters from Leviathan Wakes , Colonel Fred Johnson, the Butcher of Anderson...more
Becky
Interesting, but short, prequel to Leviathan Wakes. I really enjoyed this story, and the way it was told in flashback form intermixed with present events.

I liked seeing more of Fred's backstory here, and I enjoyed seeing how he got to where he was in LW.

Good stuff.
Eric
When we met Fred Johnson in LEVIATHAN WAKES, he was the leader of the Outer Planets Alliance (OPA). We learned that at some point after he brutally liberated Anderson Station on behalf of Earth (earning him the nickname the Butcher of Anderson Station), he defected to the OPA. The novella The Butcher of Anderson Station by James S.A. Corey (the pen name used by Daniel Abraham (Twitter) and Ty Franck) helps fill in some of those missing details surrounding Johnson’s past.

The novella is short (ver...more
Mitchel Broussard
First off: don't read this before Leviathan Wakes. The appreciation of the drastic changes between the protagonist in this book and Leviathan play an important role in appreciating the novella. Even though it is a prequel, it spends no time acclimating you to the world of the Belt and Mars society and Earth politics and why there are tall, skinny, pale people talking like they forgot how to use vowels properly. This just isn't a proper introduction to this universe, you'll find that in Leviathan...more
TheTick
A solid add-on tale to fill time until the next novel in the Expanse series comes out, The Butcher of Anderson Station tells you how Fred Johnson went from being the eponymous Butcher, to the hope that the Outer Planets Alliance has for peace. I can't say that I was all that surprised by events of this story, as I figured the events of the station assault had gone FUBAR due to the Earth government and not anything Fred did. Wished it was longer, but I guess what I REALLY want is Caliban's War.
Raja
Oct 19, 2011 Raja rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
The story of Fred Anderson is about what you'd expect it to be after reading Leviathan Wakes, but that's perfectly fine. I still enjoyed this dip into the Expanse.
Max
After enjoying the two books of the Expanse Series that have been released to far, I decided to give the two released novellas a shot (This one and Gods of Risk). And after fighting my eBook Reader for more than one hour, I finally managed to purchase the book (Seriously, **** you, Sony). This book takes place before the events of Leviathan Wakes and describes the history of the de facto Leader of the OPA.

I enjoyed the novella quite a bit. The history of Fred Johnson explains some of his actions...more
Nancy O'Toole
When you first meet Fred Johnson in James S.A. Corey's Leviathan Wakes, he is the leader of the revolutionary group, the Outer Planets Alliance (also known as the OPA). Before taking this position, he lead a very different life. “The Butcher of Anderson Station” delves into this back story and shows how the decisions he made in life led him from Anderson Station into the arms of the OPA.

Fred Johnson was one of the more interesting side characters in Leviathan Wakes, and I'm quite happy that auth...more
Shara
My Rating: Good Read

After reading and loving James S.A. Corey's debut Leviathan Wakes (LJ || WP), I knew I wanted to read this short story before getting my hands on Caliban's War. I finally found a good opportunity to do that, so I downloaded it to my Kindle and read it in one sitting.

The Butcher of Anderson Station is a prequel of sorts, and features a character well-known from Leviathan Wakes, Colonel Fred Johnson. It shows us how he came to be in the position he is in the book. It shows us...more
Hilcia
This novella focuses on an incident that defined the career of (and eventually the man) one of the characters that plays a key role in Leviathan Wakes. Fred Johnson is the leader of the OPA (Outer Planets Alliance) by the time we meet him in Leviathan Wakes. Throughout the book he was referred to as the Butcher of Anderson Station, however that was never explained.

This story goes back in time and focuses on that story, giving the readers and fans of this new series a terrific first person accoun...more
Jake Hawken
I think I was expecting a novella instead of a short story, so the short length was disappointing.

It was still a good story though (as one can expect from Corey). It was good to get a little back story on Fred Johnson, and understand how he could go from BEING the Butcher of Anderson Station, to being a devoted leader in the OPA.

Enjoyable read, if a bit shorter than I would have liked.
Anna
A short and entertaining read that gives some background on Colonel Fred Johnson, who appears in Leviathan Wakes. Although it doesn't really stand alone as a novella, it is worthwhile for the backstory of how Johnson earned his brutal nickname. I would have liked to see this incorporated into Leviathan Wakes as it would have deepened and nuanced Johnson's character.
Adam Evans
Pretty good novella if you read the Expanse, although I find it funny that Fred doesn't have a more central role in the series. I'm hoping we see more of him, and of the Martian governments motives in the following 3 books. I want to know what Fred has done with the protomolecule real bad too. Can't wait for book 4
Ron
I really like this universe and the back story is for a main character is a nice touch. My only problem is that this is REALLY short. If you want to get as much as possible from this universe then plop down the two bucks. If not you can probably let this one pass by.
Vince
The writing duo known by the pseudonym James S.A. Corey have hit their stride. Across the course of the first two novels their writing style, plot development, and characterization have become quite engaging. Now, they are spinning off e-book content around the core storyline delivered through the novels.

The Butcher of Anderson Station may not be strictly necessary. The novels hint sufficiently at why Fred Johnson defected from the UN Military to became a/the key leader in the Outer Planets All...more
Graham Stenning
Read this book, having just finished the first three books of the expanse series. Nice short story,a little disappointed there was not a little more content, but is set up the background for one of the key characters very well.
Simon Ford
Good short backstory describing the events that occurred on Anderson Station that earned Colonel Fred Johnson his notorious alias and why he is in the position as head of the O.P.A in LEVIATHAN WAKES.
Ben Sullivan
Oh, Fred. Poor Fred. Definitely a must read prequel. Really gives old Fred Fred that extra back story that surprisingly adds so much depth to the Expanse we already know in so few pages.
Alex Sarll
A prequel about how it makes a man feel to be used at the messy end of politics. Very short, but also cheaper than a bag of crisps, so one can't really complain.
nyronius
Okay background story. Not really a big fan of the character Fred Johnson. I did like the background into the politics of the Expanse universe.
Carl V.
Although I own both novels in the Expanse series I haven't gotten around to reading them yet--a mistake I will soon remedy. I got a sample of the good storytelling awaiting me with "Drive" in the Engineering Infinity anthology and decided I needed to read this short story next. That was a great decision as this brief tale is gripping and emotionally satisfying while leaving you wanting more. Every word is used to great effect here. I highly recommend this. It really is that good.

For the rest of...more
Rachel
I read this short story as a standalone before reading Leviathan Wakes. I thought it was excellent. It's a really fast, really enjoyable read.

The plot and the characters were really believable. The plot and character motivations were much more complex than I would have thought possible for such a short story and the ending was impressively open ended while still satisfying the reader.

I also really appreciated that this was obviously science fiction without that fact taking over the focus of the...more
Egil
Cool story! It was nice to get some background info on a character and plot lines of the expanse series.
Erick
Only 40 pages but explains volumes about the history of Fred Johnson.
Patrick Davis
Phenomenal short story about Col. Fred Johnson, who sent his marines to retake Anderson Station from a group of terrorists... Or so he thought. The UN chose to send a hard message to desperate, mistreated prospectors and miners living on the edge of survival, crucial information was suppressed, and in doing his job, Johnson became an unwitting slaughterer of civilians. Driven by this psychological burden, we find him at a bar frequented by members of the "terrorists," The Outer Planets Alliance,...more
Dominik Pich
Cool but only if you have read a few of the later books
Denae
This was good. I need to reread Leviathan Wakes though.
Joshua Simon
Great short story about a minor character and key event in the series. I enjoyed the narrative choice of jumping back and forth between two timelines and thought it was handled well. As in the rest of the series, the characterization, dialogue, and writing style are all top notch.

The one thing that confuses me are people that ding the story because of the length. Apparently, the idea of a "short" story as it is advertised is a concept many can't wrap their heads around. Looking forward to the re...more
Ed Gosney
Looking forward to the upcoming Expanse series on Syfy!
  • After the Coup (Old Man's War, #4.5)
  • Edge of Infinity
  • Hope's End (The Powder Mage)
  • Sword & Laser Anthology
  • Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch, #1)
  • Bloodstar (Star Corpsman, #1)
Leviathan Wakes (Expanse, #1) Caliban's War (Expanse, #2) Abaddon's Gate (Expanse, #3) Cibola Burn (Expanse, #4) Gods of Risk (Expanse, #2.5)