Start by marking “The Butcher of Anderson Station (Expanse, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Butcher of Anderson Station (Expanse, #0.5)

The Butcher of Anderson Station (Expanse 0.5)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  2,133 ratings  ·  157 reviews
A new story set in the world of The Expanse. One day, Colonel Fred Johnson will be hailed as a hero to the system. One day, he will meet a desperate man in possession of a stolen spaceship and a deadly secret and extend a hand of friendship. But long before he became the leader of the Outer Planets Alliance, Fred Johnson had a very different name. The Butcher of Anderson S ...more
Published October 17th 2011 by Hachette Book Group (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Butcher of Anderson Station, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Butcher of Anderson Station

Alejandro
I knew about this prequel story even before of reading "Leviathan Wakes", however, I decided to read before the actual first book on the series since I was afraid that in just 40 pages, it won't be possible to establish the literature universe of the series to really get this short story.

I think that I chose the right decision. It was a good introductory story to the character of Fred Johnson, who is a supportive but key character in the development of the story in "Leviathan Wakes". Even you ge
Alex Ristea
If you've been wondering if James S.A. Corey can write short fiction, wonder no longer.

(Actually, you shouldn't be wondering that at all. The Churn: An Expanse Novella is one of the best I've ever read; see my review.)

They've always been good at putting yourself in a character's shoes, where there is no right and wrong. Each POV has their own motivations you can understand, if not outright agree with.

Here we see the battle of Anderson station from a different perspective, and it throws what you
Daniel
Interesantna pricica o dogadjaju o kom se puno prica u prvoj knjizi. Sada najzad dobijamo malo detalja o tom tragiconm (i kako ispada nepotrebnom) dogadjaju.

Za ljubitelje serijala obavezno stivo.
James
Jul 11, 2012 James rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of the Expanse series
Orbit Short Fiction seem to be making something of a success of the short-story form. This is the second one I've read - the first being Mira Grant's Countdown - and while neither of them are breaking exciting new literary ground they are providing an enjoyable set of prequels and spin-off stories from novel-length works or series. Like Countdown, this one too is a prequel - providing some back-story for one of the characters from Leviathan Wakes , Colonel Fred Johnson, the Butcher of Anderso ...more
Eric
When we met Fred Johnson in LEVIATHAN WAKES, he was the leader of the Outer Planets Alliance (OPA). We learned that at some point after he brutally liberated Anderson Station on behalf of Earth (earning him the nickname the Butcher of Anderson Station), he defected to the OPA. The novella The Butcher of Anderson Station by James S.A. Corey (the pen name used by Daniel Abraham (Twitter) and Ty Franck) helps fill in some of those missing details surrounding Johnson’s past.

The novella is short (ver
Becky
Interesting, but short, prequel to Leviathan Wakes. I really enjoyed this story, and the way it was told in flashback form intermixed with present events.

I liked seeing more of Fred's backstory here, and I enjoyed seeing how he got to where he was in LW.

Good stuff.
Joseph
No, I'm not too proud to have this count towards my GR annual challenge.

Short but engaging backstory about one of the more interesting and enigmatic secondary characters from Leviathan Wakes.
Jake Hartnett
I know it's against the rules, but I'd rate this somewhere around the 3.78 star mark. Bizarre, I know, but it didn't do enough to warrant a decimal more.

I half knew what to expect coming into this, considering I'm fully up-to-date with the Expanse series, and currently waiting on Nemesis Games' release in June, but was left a little disappointed at how it didn't naturally tee-up Leviathan Wakes. I do understand it, seeing as it's not a direct prequel per se, but in another breath, it doesn't ha
Mitchel Broussard
First off: don't read this before Leviathan Wakes. The appreciation of the drastic changes between the protagonist in this book and Leviathan play an important role in appreciating the novella. Even though it is a prequel, it spends no time acclimating you to the world of the Belt and Mars society and Earth politics and why there are tall, skinny, pale people talking like they forgot how to use vowels properly. This just isn't a proper introduction to this universe, you'll find that in Leviathan ...more
TheTick
A solid add-on tale to fill time until the next novel in the Expanse series comes out, The Butcher of Anderson Station tells you how Fred Johnson went from being the eponymous Butcher, to the hope that the Outer Planets Alliance has for peace. I can't say that I was all that surprised by events of this story, as I figured the events of the station assault had gone FUBAR due to the Earth government and not anything Fred did. Wished it was longer, but I guess what I REALLY want is Caliban's War.
Sebastian H
Why does someone leave everything behind to join and aid the supposed enemy? Even when the enemy's cause turns out to be just. Even when it's the right thing to do. Why? What is it that pushes someone over the edge of their morality, above and beyond the lies we usually tell ourselves to keep at it? Morality inertia. This is the term I'm coining right here, right now. The inertia that blinds us from right and wrong, that binds us to one path and one way of thinking, so encased in our own biased ...more
Raja
Oct 19, 2011 Raja rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
The story of Fred Anderson is about what you'd expect it to be after reading Leviathan Wakes, but that's perfectly fine. I still enjoyed this dip into the Expanse.
Bee
Nice little bit of background.
Max
After enjoying the two books of the Expanse Series that have been released to far, I decided to give the two released novellas a shot (This one and Gods of Risk). And after fighting my eBook Reader for more than one hour, I finally managed to purchase the book (Seriously, **** you, Sony). This book takes place before the events of Leviathan Wakes and describes the history of the de facto Leader of the OPA.

I enjoyed the novella quite a bit. The history of Fred Johnson explains some of his actions
Nancy O'Toole
When you first meet Fred Johnson in James S.A. Corey's Leviathan Wakes, he is the leader of the revolutionary group, the Outer Planets Alliance (also known as the OPA). Before taking this position, he lead a very different life. “The Butcher of Anderson Station” delves into this back story and shows how the decisions he made in life led him from Anderson Station into the arms of the OPA.

Fred Johnson was one of the more interesting side characters in Leviathan Wakes, and I'm quite happy that auth
Shara
My Rating: Good Read

After reading and loving James S.A. Corey's debut Leviathan Wakes (LJ || WP), I knew I wanted to read this short story before getting my hands on Caliban's War. I finally found a good opportunity to do that, so I downloaded it to my Kindle and read it in one sitting.

The Butcher of Anderson Station is a prequel of sorts, and features a character well-known from Leviathan Wakes, Colonel Fred Johnson. It shows us how he came to be in the position he is in the book. It shows us
Øystein
Mar 01, 2015 Øystein rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Completionists
Shelves: sci-fi
2.5 stars.

This short tells the story of Colonel Frederick Johnson, one of the major secondary characters in Leviathan Wakes, through a present day "interrogation" and flashbacks to the event. It's does a decent job of building atmosphere, but there's nothing in here that wasn't told explicitly or hinted strongly at in Leviathan Wakes.
Hilcia
This novella focuses on an incident that defined the career of (and eventually the man) one of the characters that plays a key role in Leviathan Wakes. Fred Johnson is the leader of the OPA (Outer Planets Alliance) by the time we meet him in Leviathan Wakes. Throughout the book he was referred to as the Butcher of Anderson Station, however that was never explained.

This story goes back in time and focuses on that story, giving the readers and fans of this new series a terrific first person accoun
Dan
It's been a short fiction kind of evening. I really enjoyed Leviathan Wakes, and I've had The Butcher of Anderson Station sitting in my to-read queue for a good, long while. Though the story fleshes Fred Johnson a bit, it really doesn't add much to the principal storyline. Good character sketch, and it's nice to get a little of the back story. Not an essential story in The Expanse series, but good never the less.
Jake Hawken
I think I was expecting a novella instead of a short story, so the short length was disappointing.

It was still a good story though (as one can expect from Corey). It was good to get a little back story on Fred Johnson, and understand how he could go from BEING the Butcher of Anderson Station, to being a devoted leader in the OPA.

Enjoyable read, if a bit shorter than I would have liked.
Anna
A short and entertaining read that gives some background on Colonel Fred Johnson, who appears in Leviathan Wakes. Although it doesn't really stand alone as a novella, it is worthwhile for the backstory of how Johnson earned his brutal nickname. I would have liked to see this incorporated into Leviathan Wakes as it would have deepened and nuanced Johnson's character.
Richard
A short story in the Expanse Universe. I read this after i finished Leviathan Wakes (the first book in the series).
Its a fairly standard story of one of the minor characters from the first book. It's set before the first book, and contains flashbacks to a previous time.
The writing was good, but as it is a prequel, you knew where it was going.
Larry
Since I've read the series and not the novellas, I really rank this between 4.25 & 4.5 stars. Nice novella about how Fred Johnson, The Butcher, joined the OPA. Probably better to read after the 1st or second novel. If you enjoy the Expanse Series, then it is a must read. After I read this, I think I will now re-read the Expanse Series.
Christopher Litsinger
This was a nice little short story, good character development, interesting, etc.
Probably in retrospect shouldn't be read before Leviathan Wakes. I feel like I may know more than I'm supposed to. We'll see.
Vanessa
I read this in one sitting and it was enjoyable. By the numbering of it (.5), it seems like it should be read before the first book of the Expanse series but I recommend reading this after the first book. It is too short to have much background info on the expansive (no pun intended) world of this series. I think it would be too confusing to start with this.
Adam Evans
Pretty good novella if you read the Expanse, although I find it funny that Fred doesn't have a more central role in the series. I'm hoping we see more of him, and of the Martian governments motives in the following 3 books. I want to know what Fred has done with the protomolecule real bad too. Can't wait for book 4
Ron
I really like this universe and the back story is for a main character is a nice touch. My only problem is that this is REALLY short. If you want to get as much as possible from this universe then plop down the two bucks. If not you can probably let this one pass by.
Vince
The writing duo known by the pseudonym James S.A. Corey have hit their stride. Across the course of the first two novels their writing style, plot development, and characterization have become quite engaging. Now, they are spinning off e-book content around the core storyline delivered through the novels.

The Butcher of Anderson Station may not be strictly necessary. The novels hint sufficiently at why Fred Johnson defected from the UN Military to became a/the key leader in the Outer Planets All
Scott
Short story/novella that fits into The Expanse after reading Leviathan Wakes. Tells the story of what happens on Anderson Station and how Fred becomes "The Butcher of Anderson Station" and what follows in his life that changes him into the great character some of us know and love.

It's short (about 40 pages) and quick but well worth the time and gives some of the backstory we've been missing.

If you've read The Expanse series then this is highly recommended.
If you haven't read any of the series th
Thomas
I enjoyed getting to know the Butcher of Anderson Station a little more in this short story. It does not establish the world well enough to be a standalone story, but as a companion piece to Leviathan Wakes it works very well. It was good entertainment for an hour.
  • Edge of Infinity
  • After the Coup (Old Man's War, #4.5)
  • If at First . . . (Short Story)
  • Old Mars
  • Hope's End (Powder Mage, #0.4)
  • Galactic North (Revelation Space)
  • Crossover (Cassandra Kresnov, #1)

Expanse (5 books)
  • Leviathan Wakes (Expanse, #1)
  • Caliban's War (Expanse, #2)
  • Abaddon's Gate (Expanse, #3)
  • Cibola Burn (Expanse, #4)
  • Nemesis Games (Expanse, #5)
Leviathan Wakes (Expanse, #1) Caliban's War (Expanse, #2) Abaddon's Gate (Expanse, #3) Cibola Burn (Expanse, #4) Gods of Risk (Expanse, #2.5)