Start by marking “C++: How to Program” as Want to Read:
C++: How to Program

C++: How to Program

With over 250,000 sold, Harvey and Paul Deitel's "C++ How to Program" is the world's best-selling introduction to C++ programming. Now, this classic has been thoroughly updated! The Deitels' groundbreaking How to Program series offers unparalleled breadth and depth of programming concepts and intermediate-level topics for further study. The books in this series feature hun ...more
Paperback, Fifth Edition, 1536 pages
Published December 1st 2004 by Prentice Hall (first published February 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about C++, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about C++

Ahmed Ali
Apr 23, 2010 Ahmed Ali rated it liked it
عموما هو كتاب حلو للي عارف سي ++ بالفعل وعايز يتمزج ويتدلع.

فيه مشروع عملي كامل عبارة عن برنامج بيعمل وظائف ماكينة الصراف الآلي، المشروع مكتوب من الألف إلى الياء ومفيد جدا.

عيب الكتاب إنه فيه رغي وكلام إنشا كتير، بس على الجانب الآخر، دي تعتبر ميزة للي عاوز... يتمزج ويتدلع.

pros:
- lots of examples and practices.
- a complete project "ATM Case Study" is included with a very satisfying explanation.

cons:
- some topics could have been demonstrated in a more short and simple way, the guys were boring at so
Baha
Mar 31, 2012 Baha rated it liked it
Good as a reference.
Michael
Aug 30, 2008 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Computer Geeks
This is a pretty good introductory C++ book. A lot of advanced concepts are left out, though.
فنافن
Jan 26, 2012 فنافن rated it it was amazing
My book in C++ class ^^
Simple, clear, worth in examples.
It contains smart tips and hints.
Tolga
May 19, 2012 Tolga rated it it was amazing
I used this book to understand programming paradigm in the first year of my computer science education. It is really helpful for the beginner. It is not only helpful for beginner but also advanced programmer. This book published in my country "C/C++ How to program". It includes both programming language. It teachs you both of them. Especially if you struggle questions end of chapters, you will have a point of view for evolution from structural programming to object oriented programming.
Kevin Herrera
Jan 22, 2016 Kevin Herrera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c, didactic
A good intro on standard C++, easy to read and learn. Has great insight on the programming practice and the examples and excercises show the true power of C++ and OOP. The only bad thing is that this is a really dated book and some chapters and standards have changed by now (2013), so interested people should buy the newest version
Damian Satterthwaite-Phillips
Aug 05, 2016 Damian Satterthwaite-Phillips rated it really liked it
Very comprehensive. Will definitely get you started and on the right track as a C++ programmer.
Some complicated topics could be dealt with more fully, including use of "const", pointers and references, and friend functions and classes, but on the whole, a very thorough and well-designed course.
Ohud
Oct 30, 2013 Ohud rated it it was amazing
It was the only book I read when I start learning C++ programming, I can't tell if there is better books out there.
But I loved it, it is written in a very easy language that takes you step-by-step through every aspect of C programming.
Enjoy!
Bethany
Jan 20, 2011 Bethany rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is an awful book for beginning C++ programming. It starts off well enough, but once the student reaches chapter three, the book is worthless. The online video examples do nothing but summarize the book's text. I would not recommend this book to any serious beginning programming student.
Fahad Naeem
Feb 03, 2015 Fahad Naeem rated it did not like it
Well. This book should be read by C-Programming-Beginners. It has very high standards. Never a fan of Mr. Deitel.
Darrell Ulm
Dec 19, 2016 Darrell Ulm rated it really liked it
Pretty solid foundation of C++ here.
Farah Agha
Mar 02, 2013 Farah Agha rated it really liked it
it's easy to read and have very good exercises, although exercises are lengthy. It has classes before functions which was weird
the chapter I like most is sorting, STL and Template.
Brian
Feb 28, 2008 Brian rated it it was amazing
This series is great. For beginners as well as a reference.
I started with the fourth edition and have kept them all.
Mahesh Gupta
Sep 01, 2014 Mahesh Gupta rated it it was amazing
first programming book ever read. really good would recommend people to go and read it and do the exercise.
Eddie
Mar 31, 2007 Eddie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed working with C++. The book's well put together and covers all the basic to intermediate topics for getting started.
Thomas 'afin'
Oct 02, 2007 Thomas 'afin' rated it liked it
Hahahaa..this book was my first programming book that I red. It was in my first grade of computer science in IPB.
It helped me much.
Flavio Perri
Introductory C++ book with a lot of code examples.
Right for programming beginners and overviewers of basic C++.
Dachi
Jun 14, 2008 Dachi rated it really liked it
Shelves: advisory-shelf
it is really good book for begginers. it explains everything really well. you understend everything 100%, and also it gives some basic XHTML lessons too.
Dito
Jun 21, 2010 Dito rated it liked it
This Book give me a complete view about C++ -- at least for me :) -- very useful and help me when I'm doing undergraduate final assignment.
Shari
Java How to Program (6th Edition) (How to Program (Deitel)) by Harvey M. Deitel (2004)
Anton Simakov
Aug 30, 2014 Anton Simakov rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to learn C++ basics.
Shelves: cpp
This was my first book on C++ programming and this is the book I would recommend to anyone who want to start programming in C++. Although, I must admit that I would not recommend C++ and consequently this book to anyone who just want to start programming: C++ is not the best language to start a journey in the world of programming.
Felipe
Felipe rated it really liked it
May 18, 2009
Osama Alnagem
Osama Alnagem rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2014
Big Girl
Big Girl rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Jhonsito Mc'fly
Jhonsito Mc'fly rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2015
Ali Bahrami nezhad
Ali Bahrami nezhad rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2013
Asia Muhammed
Asia Muhammed rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2014
Arjav
Arjav rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: Combine C++ How to Program 5 25 Mar 09, 2014 02:03PM
  • Perl in a Nutshell
  • Operating Systems: Internals and Design Principles
  • Operating System Concepts
  • Data Structures and Other Objects Using C++
  • Programming Perl (3rd Edition)
  • Computer Organization & Design: The Hardware/Software Interface
  • The C++ Programming Language
  • Computer Graphics with OpenGL
  • Algorithms in C++, Parts 1-4: Fundamentals, Data Structure, Sorting, Searching
  • Problem Solving with C++
  • C: A Reference Manual
  • Computer Networks
  • Concepts of Programming Languages

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »