Start by marking “This Is Not A Drill” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
This Is Not A Drill

Paul Carter

This Is Not A Drill

He's back on the rigs and back in trouble. Picking up right where he left off, Paul Carter pulls out more tall tales of a mad, bad, and dangerous life in the international oil trade. Starting with action and mayhem galore This Is Not A Drill sets an unrelenting pace that just doesn't let up, as Paul almost drowns when the Russian rig he's working on begins to capsize; is r ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published November 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about This Is Not A Drill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is Not A Drill

Mike
May 18, 2013 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paul carter's second book of tales from his career as a rig hand in the oil and gas industry.

This book along with, don't tell mum I work on the rigs, are pretty much industry standard reading material for anyone in the business of exploration drilling. The stories in this book are hilarious and are relics of a time and place where health and safety hadn't taken all of the fun out of working in a remote posting.

This book is a must for anyone in the industry of exploration of any kind, it is also
Kevin Robertson
Loved the first book and was one of the fastest reads, really enjoyable. Although I did enjoy this, I think I preferred the structure of Paul's previous book and getting to know him and his life leading up to the oil industry. I did appreciate the more poignant moments in this book and his reflections on the dire conditions of people he meets around the world and horrific things he witnesses.

There sure were some really funny moments and if you read the first one I would thoroughly recommend it,
Rebecca
I'll start by saying I loved the first book - I picked it up purely based on the title and have had this book on my TBR list since it was released. OInce again it covers Paul on his world wide trips working on oil rigs or doing something related to that field. This time he introduced more of his personal life aspect which was missing from the first and I was glad he waited to add it to this book. The personal aspect fit really well as a follow up to the original. I would recommend reading his fi ...more
Jonathan Hutchins
Reviewing 'This Is Not A Drill', Shakespeare wrote of:
"...disastrous chances,
Of moving accidents by flood and field,
Of hair-breadth ’scapes..."

- lines he later used in 'Othello'. Paul Carter's sequel to 'Don't Tell Mum I Work On The Rigs' covers some of the same ground, but with different anecdotes, and brings his story up to date. Running pipe around the world, Carter has graduated, partly through his fascination with and qualification in advertising, into a more conscious and calculating revie
Michelle
Not quite as insanely good as his first one, but still a good read. I like how he branched out a little, and told some of his father's stories. It always seemed to me that my father and his friends had the best times, and consequently, the best stories. Maybe because they didn't always have to worry about whether or not their actions would result in a lawsuit, or a sexual harassment seminar, or an anger management class. I think Paul Carter was thinking the same thing. Or maybe he ran out of rea ...more
Stephen
Mar 01, 2010 Stephen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am surprised this book was published. It was fairly disappointing compared with his first and that has nothing to do with the number of laughs. First, it comes across as though only half of the book is about life on the rigs and the other half is not all that interesting. I guess that is why I'm giving it 2.5 stars. I also didn't find his rants about how horrible the oil industry is to be convincing, if not ridiculously hypocritical. If he really thinks it to be that evil, then leave the indus ...more
Andy Davies
I listened to the author reading the audiobook, immediately after listening to the first volume (Don’t tell Mum I work on the oil rigs ….) which was great fun.

A strange mix of oilfield stories, his father;s stories and a strange little foray into Afghanistan. The first book was a bit more coherent and linear. This had much more of a feel of a collection of “I must write these stories down” anecdotes. It was still quite entertaining and great as an audiobook. Perfect for the tedious drive to work
Luke Stevenson
Significantly less enjoyable than his first book Don't Tell Mum I Work On The Rigs, She Thinks I'm A Piano Player In A Whorehouse. The first story hints at more mayhem, excitement and insanity such as the stories he shared in "Piano Player In A Whorehouse", but after that it becomes a dull, droning autobiography with few of the hallmarks which made his breakout book a hit.
Pete
This is not a Drill (2007) by Paul Carter is the sequel to his successful and amusing first book Don’t Tell Mum I work on an Oil Rig. The first book is funny and highly enjoyable. Many people who read that would wonder if the second is as good. The answer is no.
The book isn’t as funny or nearly as compelling as the first. The best stories were used in the first one. The poor writing of the first one could be forgiven because it was so much fun. In This is Not a Drill it grates.
Genean
Oct 04, 2011 Genean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part 2 of Carters bio shows much of the similar humor of his first book. It does take the edge a little as, through the change and growth of his life, his pro rites change. The difficult side of distance relationships, war torn arenas and changing work practices are faced amid the comradery of his contemporaries. Another easy and interesting reflection of life (in the changing lane).
Naber
May 11, 2014 Naber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not what I expected when I started to read. i thought the book was going to be about life on the oil rigs, but that was only a minor part. This book touched upon Afghanistan, Nigeria and mostly about the author's relationships. His analogies were very funny. A good storyteller. I would rate it 3.5 stars
Jon
Nov 14, 2011 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a good read.

Not as funny as his first book, but there was a lot more depth to this one. Much more personal insight, and also a look at the serious side of a world that few of us will ever experience outside the pages of a book.

Very much looking forward to reading 'Is That Thing Diesel?' soon.
Sharakael
I thought it's not as funny or as hillarious as the first book, but that doesn't mean it's not a good book. It's an enjoyable read, and the things you read inside showed you a different side of life (working on the rig) you might had never known.

Above all though, it made me respect the author's guts. I mean, to voluntarily go to Afghanistan...?
Khale∂
Good book especially for the ones that tasted the life in an Oil Field, it's a good gift for someone that actually works there, and for those who don't it's a good to know about the nature of the Oil business including risks encountered.
Graham
Apr 01, 2013 Graham rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A book of oilfield reminiscences. A heap of anecdotes combined to make a series of stories that are loosely connected. If you like stories about oil platforms, motorbikes and drunken characters you'll like this.
Kami
Feb 13, 2013 Kami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another hilarious book. Was a light and quick read, and generally fun. The opening chapter of the book was hilarious and serious at the same time and just hooks you into the book. I couldn't put it down as I wanted to know what was going to be the next story told.
David
Aug 28, 2013 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cleanskin
4CD version read by the author 4 hours 36 minutes
Light hearted followup to "Don't tell mum I work on the rogs, She thinks I'm a piano player in a whorehouse. Not as good maybe as the best material had been used in the first book but still entertaining
Sunflower
Not as good as his first one. It felt a bit scattered, with material pulled from other sources, (like the stories his father told) to try and make this as funny as his first one.
Still full of blokey tales of his life in the oil industry, and still funny but not laugh-out-loud.
Mark Buchmann
Jan 07, 2010 Mark Buchmann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most gripping books I have ever read.
Jody Ellis
Feb 11, 2015 Jody Ellis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sequel that doesn't disappoint. More side splitting golden humour of a riggers life.
Dave Lyons
Definitely the B-side material left over from his first book...
Jessica
Dec 27, 2012 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I LOOOOVVVVEEEDDD his first book, "Don't Tell Mum..." This book just wasn't near as exciting. Some of his stories were great, but overall not near the caliber of the first.
Christopher
This is a worthy sequel of his initial bio "don't tell mum".... Not as great as the original but enjoyable nonetheless. Is recommend reading it straight after the original so as to enjoy it more.
Yvette
A could second book from Paul
Kari
The follow up book to 'Don't tell mum I work on the rigs'. Not as good but still full of funny blokey stories and a few touching ones as well. Worth a look.
Peter Cotter
Enjoyed... but was definitely nowhere near as funny as the first book...

Enjoyed him ruminations about reconnecting with his father.
Sharon
Sep 22, 2013 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loved-this-one
Just as great as the first book, I really enjoyed hearing the authors tales of life on a oil rig. A great follow up to the first book
Joy
Sep 06, 2012 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable light read. Lots of short anecdotes rather than a full story, but I guess that leaves you wanting to know what happened in the end.
Anthony Jagiello
Just as funny as the first.
Kelli
Mar 23, 2014 Kelli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read from Paul Carter, anyone who is sensitive to language and politically incorrect writing probably should steer clear of his books.
  • The Secret Olympian: The inside story of the Olympic experience
  • The Full Montezuma
  • Just a Little Run Around the World: 5 Years, 3 Packs of Wolves and 53 Pairs of Shoes
  • Born to be Riled
  • The Way of the Runner: A Journey into the Fabled World of Japanese Running
  • I Never Knew That About New York
  • No Way Home: A Dancer's Journey from the Streets of Havana to the Stages of the World
  • Wordsmiths & Warriors: The English-Language Tourist's Guide to Britain
  • Walk the Lines: The London Underground, Overground
  • Cowboy & Wills
  • The Media Relations Department of Hizbollah Wishes You a Happy Birthday
  • London's Strangest Tales: Extraordinary But True Stories
  • Soldier Dog
  • #Self: Taming Your Inner Online Menace
  • Lost in Transmission
  • Breakaway: From Behind the Iron Curtain to the NHL--The Untold Story of Hockey's Great Escapes
  • Slightly Out of Focus
  • No Angel: The Secret Life of Bernie Ecclestone
Paul Carter was born in England in 1969. His father's military career had the family moving all over the world, re-locating every few years. Paul has lived, worked, gotten into trouble and been given a serious talking to in England, Scotland, Germany, France, Holland, Norway, Portugal, Tunisia, Australia, Nigeria, Russia, Singapore, Malaysia, Borneo, Columbia, Vietnam, Thailand, Papua New Guinea, ...more
More about Paul Carter...