Start by marking “It's Greek to Me” as Want to Read:
It's Greek to Me

It's Greek to Me

A treasure trove of information about words and phrases that originated in Greek and Roman texts.
Paperback
Published May 18th 1994 by Harper Paperbacks (first published October 28th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about It's Greek to Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Greek to Me

John
Jul 24, 2016 John rated it really liked it
"It's Greek to Me" was a fun read for me. I found a copy of it in a used bookstore and bought it on the assumption that its short entries would be a quick, shallow read. To my delight, I found that in addition to a brush-up of classical stories, the book is also a goldmine of etymological phrases from Greek and Latin.

Let me divide that statement in half. The main focus--something like 60%--of "It's Greek to Me" is upon telling or retelling familiar stories from the Greek and Roman worlds. For in
Robert C.
When I bought the book the bookseller commented that I would be better off reading the classics themselves rather than this book of snippets. I don't agree - I simply don't have enough time, energy or interest to do that. Besides - this is an excellent introduction to the subject. If I find myself intrigued by any particular book, author or topic I can always look them up later by using the information and references in this volume.

As it turns out, this book supplies somewhat more than I need on
Lenny Husen
Aug 08, 2013 Lenny Husen rated it it was amazing
I read this before in the 1990's. It is terrific, a reference book about the Greek Classics, Authors and Phrases that is easy to read and makes me feel a little less ignorant. I am rereading it again just to brush up since my daughter is studying the classics at college. Has some cute illustrations also. The book has excerpts of the actual classics (English translation of course), which is what elevates it to 5 stars. One of the best book gifts I ever received, from my friend Paul Christiansen. ...more
Matthew
Jan 23, 2013 Matthew rated it it was amazing
It was a fun, worthwhile read. It gives you insight into all those phrases you hear, but aren't 100% sure where they came from.
Richard Curry
Jun 04, 2011 Richard Curry rated it really liked it
Readable, bite sized vignettes about standardized catchphrases and their antique back stories: Trojan Horse, Gorian Knot, Marathon, Siren songs, Smell of the lamp, Eureka! and many others.
Samuel Smith
Samuel Smith rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2011
Briana Grenert
Briana Grenert rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2009
Amanda McCrina
Amanda McCrina rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2012
Koley
Koley rated it liked it
May 31, 2013
Cesar
Cesar rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2008
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2015
Ermalinda Horne
Ermalinda Horne rated it it was ok
Jul 29, 2008
Josie
Josie rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2008
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2012
James
James rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2013
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Maia
Maia rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2008
Henny
Henny rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2007
Missy L.
Missy L. rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2008
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Billy Williams
Billy Williams rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2013
Mister
Mister rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2015
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
May 21, 2011
Annaliese Schofield
Annaliese Schofield rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2013
Rickie
Rickie rated it it was ok
Dec 04, 2012
Sonia
Sonia rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2009
Tree
Tree rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Anthony Lara
Anthony Lara rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2014