Start by marking “Beachcombing: Exploring the Seashore” as Want to Read:
Beachcombing: Exploring the Seashore

Beachcombing: Exploring the Seashore

Young sunbathers can learn all about the wonders at the water's edge with Jim Arnosky's fascinating guide. With friendly notes and detailed illustrations of everything from ghost crabs to shark teeth, this award-winning author and wildlife expert outfits kids with the knowledge they need to become avid beachcombers. Take it along on a family vacation or school trip, or mak ...more
Published May 11th 2004 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Beachcombing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beachcombing

Natalie Brockmeier
I thought this book was great and I would completely have it in my classroom. This book is so informational but still told in an interesting way. Also, this book is approachable for young readers with bright colors and pretty illustrations. This is definitely a younger grades appropriate read which not every informational book is.
I would love to read this book aloud when talking about sea animals, or what families do on beaches. If families look for shells, then this book would be perfect! It's
Ciara Plackett
Apr 20, 2015 Ciara Plackett rated it it was amazing
Personal Reaction:
I really enjoyed this book because I love the beach and beach combing. This gives information and pictures of things that you might find when on the beach. This book does have an emphasis on things that you mind find on the gulf/east coast however these things can be found anywhere. Jim Arnosky did his research for this book in the Florida Keys, so that's why it has this spin. The book is really fun and colorful. This book is written in a journal style.

Purpose:

Read Aloud:
This i
Dolly
Apr 10, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Fun and colorful book about beachcombing and the fascinating things you can find. Although it has an East/Gulf Coast slant (since those are the beaches the author visited while researching this book), most of the creatures are fairly ubiquitous. I noticed that he didn't mention the copious amounts of trash you can find washed up as well. We often bring two containers when we go beachcombing - one for trash and the other for treasures. Our girls really enjoyed looking at the pictures in this book ...more
Alicia Lawrence
Apr 21, 2016 Alicia Lawrence rated it really liked it
This informational book gives young readers all the information they'll need about animals and other things they will find at the beach. It also has great pictures to go along with the text. It will almost make the reader feel like they are at the beach!
Drew Paige
Apr 22, 2011 Drew Paige rated it really liked it
Great picture book about life on the beach. Discusses the types of animals, seashells, etc. The beach is so exploratory because of the tide coming in there is always something new to find. It makes me want to go to the beach so bad and relax and build sandcastles!
Jacqui Robbins
Apr 16, 2009 Jacqui Robbins rated it really liked it
This is a great book to take to the beach with young children; it's a readable guide to what you might find. Plus, who doesn't dream of "research" that involves studying and painting beaches in Florida for months?
Pam
Jul 16, 2013 Pam rated it really liked it
Just the book for anyone planning a summer vacation at the seashore! Jim Arnosky does an excellent job explaining the joys of beachcombing and explaining the different items that might be found.
Tara Choate
Jul 02, 2012 Tara Choate rated it liked it
I really liked the "journal" pages, but was a little disappointed on the emphasis on East Coast. But obviously can't do whole world.
Ashley Whiteley
Feb 24, 2014 Ashley Whiteley rated it really liked it
I learned something new on every page. There are so many wonderful creatures at the beach. The pictures are colorful, bright, and happy. It makes you feel like you are actually at the beach!
Crysta Xue
Nov 05, 2014 Crysta Xue rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Very good facts about sea creatures, but it was hard to follow text. I could easily use in classroom or home.
Eagle
Oct 28, 2011 Eagle rated it it was amazing
This was a good story. All the shells were on the sand and all the birds came to get the shells. Emilio
Katie Hibbard
Katie Hibbard rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2014
Miss Amanda
Miss Amanda rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2013
Michelle Leatherbury
Michelle Leatherbury rated it it was ok
Nov 18, 2015
Erica
Erica rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2013
Victoria Weston
Victoria Weston rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was ok
Nov 04, 2014
Kenzie Hunt
Kenzie Hunt rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2015
Olivia
Olivia rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2015
Celeste
Celeste rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2011
Courtney Chambers
Courtney Chambers rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Emilee Engelbrecht
Emilee Engelbrecht rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2015
Meagan Pack
Meagan Pack rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2014
John Mcgoldrick
John Mcgoldrick rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2013
Cheri
Cheri rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2010
Heather  LaBonte
Heather LaBonte rated it really liked it
May 04, 2015
Cara
Cara rated it it was ok
Mar 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Jim Arnosky was born in New York City, NY Sept 1, 1946. He was raised in Pennsylvania. Jim graduated from high school in Philadelphia and joined the US Naval Reserves. His active duty took him to Maryland and Bremerhaven, Germany.
In 1976 Jim and his wife Deanna moved to Vermont with their two daughters where they have lived in an old farmhouse for the past 28 years. 17 of those years were spent ra
More about Jim Arnosky...