Start by marking “Pajama School” as Want to Read:
Pajama School

Pajama School

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Do you get to wear your pajamas to school? Do you have recess or snow days? What about socialization? Every homeschooler fields dozens of questions like these. Natalie goes beyond providing simple answers and shares candidly about the experiences that led her to conclude that education is about much more than academics. Whether you’ve been homeschooling since the days of t...more
Published November 18th 2010 by Sibro Publishing (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Pajama School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pajama School

Jenn818
I'd give it zero if I could. This book isn't about homeschooling, it's about the Fundamentalist Christian lifestyle which happens to *include* homeschooling.
Katie
This book was extremely misleading. Judging from the cover and synopsis, I thought it was going to be about a girl's struggle to homeschool with her family and how she came out on top of the system. In the first few chapters this impression still stood. Then the author went off on a tangent and just talked about her accomplishments, how many jobs she was doing and what they entailed, her religion, and how amazing she was for the rest of the book. Speaking of her religious beliefs, while I do not...more
Rachel Thomson
Once upon a time, a blonde and blue-eyed family of girls (three, to be exact, all with names starting with “N”) left old ways behind and lined up at the foot of the stairs for their first school picture as a homeschooling family. They had desks, organized bookshelves, maps and pictures on the walls, and a placard proclaiming “School Room.”

Well, most of us homeschoolers know how that goes. The Wickham family soon gave up trying to be like a school and got more focused on being a home that teaches...more
Kristen
I have to say that some may get more out of this book than I did. I have read many books on homeschooling and I just found that this author did not connect with me. Although she shared many life experiences I never felt a connection. I read half the book and felt like I was wasting my time. I didn't feel encouraged or challenged. I made plans to stop reading which is very hard for a book worm like myself to do. However, the last few chapter I did skim. It seemed like there was better chapters as...more
Natalie's family heavily bought into the Bill Gothard line of thinking on family issues, and this forms a large part of the basis for the book. That part of the book left a very negative impression on me, though it does give a good picture of how many evangelical homeschooling families operate.
Marianna
While I found the writing to be marginal at best, my biggest issue with this book was my disagreement with the authors religious views. And frankly, I grew a little weary of hearing her continuously pat herself on the back for her personal accomplishments.
Amy Puetz
Every homeschool family has some of the same experiences--we all study, work to incorporate learning with daily activities, and we share special times with siblings and parents. Yes, homeschooling leaves a recognizable mark on those who have gone through it. The mark may be recognizable but each family has a unique story to tell about their homeschooling journey. Natalie Wickham shares her adventure with wit and honesty. Her book will particularly appeal to families who are looking into homescho...more
Melanie
At first glance, this girl has self-imposed isolating parents who were part of the ATI cult. The author doesn't seem to be bothered by her parents withdrawing from their church for another one, or her father picketing daily in front of an abortion clinic.

The entire book is from a heavily Christian homeschooling experience, as I suppose was commonplace in the 1990s. There is relatively little about the homeschooling itself and more about the things she did to occupy herself after graduating in 1...more
Faith and Family Reviews
I was encouraged by Natalie's story, yet in some ways it made me feel inadequate, only because she and her family were extremely involved in the homeschooling community and ministry. That just hasn't happened for our family, yet anyway.

I believe that Pajama School isn't just hope for homeschool moms, but for our growing young daughters. I couldn't help but think of my oldest at different points in Natalie's journey because Natalie is the oldest child of a larger than normal homeschool family an...more
Mommiejenn
Pajama School - stories from the life of a homeschool graduate by Natalie Wickham is an encouraging book I would recommend to any homeschooling Mom.

I love reading about successful homeschooling. When a parent shares something that worked for them, I feel more secure attempting it than just a product promoted for sale. This is not a parent’s tale of what worked rather a homeschooled graduate’s story of her life.

Another homeschooling Mom first mentioned this book to me. She shared one of the re...more
Lea Ann
It was with great excitement that I picked up my copy of Natalie Wickham’s book. I, too, am a homeschool graduate, and I could not wait to read an honest account of growing up counter-culture. Imagine my delight, upon beginning the first chapter, to discover that Natalie’s homeschool beginnings were so like my own. I identified with her first day of school-at-home: the carefully arranged desks in the meticulously prepared homeschool-room; the carefully-chosen wall-charts, assignment notebooks, a...more
Natalie
Sep 25, 2010 Natalie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Homeschoolers and those thinking of homeschooling
This book was written by a woman who was homeschooled. I thought it was fun and open and I really enjoyed being welcomed into the family. It was nice to realize how everyone struggles to find the right system for their own homeschooling experience. It was especially nice to hear of the amazing opportunities and experiences she was able to have as a homeschooler. I also enjoyed reading about her desire to follow God's will for her and how important her parents faith and teachings were in her upbr...more
Ann
May 06, 2009 Ann added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: homeschoolers and those considering it
I loved this book. It was a charming, loving, inspiring walk down the homeschool memory lane. Knowing so many of the people talked about in the book was fun. Natalie's homeschool experience shines with hope and gratitude; caused me to re-examine my own life purpose, desires, and motivations. It confirmed, again, for me why we did what we did, why we encourage others to do it, and why we continue to do it.
As a newbie to homeschooling, I'm always looking for proof that your kids turn out "normal." Natalie is definitely proof that they do. She seems like a very motivated young lady. The reason I gave the book only three stars is because I was kind of getting bored reading every detail in her various adventures. But, I do love that she had so many great opportunities.
Lori
This was an interesting book that chronicles the life of Natalie Wickham, a homeschool graduate. It starts while she and her sisters are attending a Christian school then through their journey into the homeschool lifestyle. This family and young lady should be an inspiration to many.
Bobbie
I read this book a few years back and loved it. I grew up being homeschooled and Natalie Wickham made me feel like I wasn't alone as a homeschooled kid. It really was a great read. She shared from her heart and it felt like I was talking with an old friend. Highly recommended.
Tammy Zimmerman
Fun book! Since I was home schooled from 1st through 12th grade, I can closely relate to this book. Natalie proves that being taught at home doesn't limit a person but develops their creativity and room to grow and excel in life.
Natalie Wickham
Is it narcissistic to include my own book on my list? Oh well! As much as I dislike reading a book more than once, I must say, I have read this one many times over... :-) You can find out more about it at http://pajamaschool.com.
Kristi
It wasn't a bad book, but not a good one either. She could have made a tighter connection between what she learned in homeschooling to her own accomplishments & endeavors.
Heidi
I ended up not finishing this book. By the time I was halfway through it I realized that I didn't care about how it would end. It was just not what I expected it to be.
Karen L.
Oct 05, 2009 Karen L. marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is a book written by a homeschool grad and writer. I read the first chapter on line at the blog http://www.pajamaschool.com/blog/
Melody
Great so far! Book is lost in the shuffle of house construction, so I'll have to wait until it shows up again to finish it...
Julia
Great look at homeschooling through the eyes of a homeschooling graduate!
Amelia
Amelia marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
marla bridges
marla bridges marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Jacquelyn
Jacquelyn marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Natalie Wickham was homeschooled through college alongside her five siblings. She has a passion for challenging and equipping upcoming generations of homeschoolers to be godly leaders. Natalie owns and operates a successful piano studio and music educator’s blog and is the current Director of Adventures in Character.
More about Natalie Wickham...
Born to Deliver (Streams of Mercy) Born to Deliver