Start by marking “The Single Girl's To-Do List” as Want to Read:
The Single Girl's To-Do List

The Single Girl's To-Do List

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,502 Ratings  ·  442 Reviews
A hilarious and romantic standalone novel from the bestselling author of the I Heart seriesRachel Summers loves a to-do list:
• Being dumped

Published June 9th 2011 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2011)

Irena
Jan 31, 2016 Irena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When you read a standalone from the author who wrote an amazing book series, you can't help but compare those two together.
At least, that's what I do.
And this book, although it was fun and enjoyable, entertaining, girly and everything that a girl would want in a book, it was still not better the I Heart series.

However, it was really, really close to it (plus I admit I am extremly subjective here because I am just so attached to Angela Clark and Jenny Lopez and, in this case, that makes me a shi
Inge
Imagine being in a relationship for seven years. You’ve created a routine with the guy, you’ve been talking about getting married and having kids and that sounds like the perfect life to you. All of a sudden, the guy wants to ‘take a break’. Turns out, he wants more than just take a break. He wants to break up. Your world shatters. You’re depressed, you’re confused, you’re angry… what do you do? Simple, isn’t it? You get drunk with your two best friends and you make a list of all the things you ...more
Rea Sinfield
Jun 14, 2011 Rea Sinfield rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read all of Lindsey Kelk’s books including her kindle book Jenny Lopez Has A Bad Week, and I have enjoyed every one of them. While I have patiently been waiting for the new I Heart book to come out I then heard that Lindsey Kelk was releasing another book called A Single Girls To Do List. I could not wait to read this one hoping it was going to be as good as her previous books.

Plot
Rachel Summers has been dumped by the heartless Simon. Her best friends Emelie and Matthew are on hand to hel
Love Fool
Aug 05, 2014 Love Fool rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

• Being dumped

Not going to lie, I read this when I was in my "being single is the shit phase" feeling all Spice Girls women power. I read a bunch of single girl books where the main ch
Sara
I really liked this story. It was full of humor and with a good old love-hate relationship! Those are my favorites! Dan has definitely gained a spot in my book-boyfriends hall of fame.

Fav quote (this is unusual):
I turned to stare at him open mouthed. This was a new height of dickishness, even for him. 'Oh my god, you absolute bastard.' I marched over, yanked the bag of Monster Munch out of his hand and stomped on it with what I hoped was a defiant and not-at-all crazy stare.

Why it's not 5 stars
Ananda

Also posted on This Chick Reads

Actual rating 4.5/5

I've been feeling rather crappy lately and been under great pressure. I was looking for an easy, uplifting, funny book that will get me out of this shit mood. I have a huge TBR list and yet I found myself asking for people's help in finding THAT book that will lift my spirits. At the end, they suggested couple of books, but I had a strong feeling I should FINALLY read this book. Being a big fan of Kelk's I pretty much knew what to expect (which i
Di
Aug 02, 2011 Di rated it really liked it

• Being dumped

Best friends Emelie and Matthew ride to her rescue with an entirely new kind of list – The Single Girl’s To-Do List. Rachel doesn’t know it, but it will take her on all kinds of wild adventures – and get her in some romantic pickles too. And then it won't be a case of what but who she decides to tick off…

• Mr. bendy
Cat
Feb 17, 2015 Cat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2015
3.5 stars.

I would not normally read this type of book. Chic-lit is not my thing. But this book is really worth a try.

After being dumped by her boyfriend of five years, Rachel Summers doesn't know how she is going to live as a single woman. Borderline OCD, Rachel is very fond of lists, so, with the help of her best friends Emelie and Mathew, she comes up with a ten-item list of things she must accomplish to prove herself a true single girl.

The list and the way they came up with it was kind of stu
Laura Anne
Jan 24, 2012 Laura Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun-fluff
PURE PLEASURE READ!
I would normally have rated this book 3 stars but I fell in love with it so much that I had to add an extra star.

Lindsey Kelk's The Single Girl's To-Do List centers around Rachel Summers whose life seems to be following the perfect check list. She has a great job, a great boyfriend and a great flat until suddenly she is dumped and finds her life turned upside down, unsure how to react or how to be single. With a little help from her two best friends Emelie and Matthew, she c
Namratha
Sep 22, 2011 Namratha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Last week I read a book that sounded promising but turned out to be a damp squib which never seemed to end.

This week, I (with one eyebrow cocked disdainfully) picked up the dodgy sounding, loaded with smarmy self-help undertones The Single Girls To-Do List and.....ate a large slice of humble-pie as I breezed through this totally addictive, feel-good read.

It’s the story of make-up artist Rachel Lulu Summers. 28-year old Rachel has just been brutally ditched by her supposedly stable boyfriend of
Ash
Oct 29, 2014 Ash rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ash by: Inge
Shelves: funny, chicklit
3.5

Rachel Summers reminded me so much of one of my best friends. Me? I am more of an Emelie rather than a Rachel. That said, I think in a way it may have influenced the way I feel about the story but saying it is not a good story just because "I was not feeling it" is unfair because the story is still good. Thus, I gave it a 3.5 star.

Rachel have come a long way from being a girl who is always in a relationship and spend most of her time catering to the love of her life, Simon, into someone who
Nikki
Jul 17, 2012 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed at JudgingCovers.co.uk

Lindsey Kelk is best known for her I Heart series; a trio of books adored by many chick lit readers. I read I Heart New York a few years ago and enjoyed the witty style of writing, but there was something about the plot that didn’t click with me. I found it quite unrealistic, and perhaps a bit too light and sugary, so I never got round to reading the rest of the series.

Even so, I still felt like Kelk was an author to look out for, and the synopsis for The Single Gi
Leah
Jun 11, 2011 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must admit, prior to reading The Single Girl’s To Do List I haven’t been the biggest Lindsey Kelk fan. I enjoy her writing style, it’s incredibly quick, but I thought the two I Heart novels I read (New York & Hollywood) were filled to the absolute brim with cliche after cliche. They were paint by numbers stories as far as I was concerned, and I wanted a bit more ‘oomph’ to them. However I downloaded Lindsey’s exclusive short story Jenny Lopez Has A Bad Week and I loved it and when I heard ...more
Krissy
Sep 24, 2014 Krissy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so happy that I finally got around to reading this. It was such a fun book and it got me out of a reading slump I've been in for a few weeks. I love watching Rachel's transformation from sad, & settled to happy, content, and unsettled. It may seem like unsettled is a bad adjective, but it's not.
I loved the Niagara Falls parts, because I have a huge love for Niagara Falls. Perhaps it is a cheesy tourist town, but it holds a lot of my favourite memories, especially the memory of my husba
Purple April
Mar 14, 2015 Purple April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The whole idea of the story was nice. The writing style was simple and interesting. Kept me wanting more and more till the end...Wish there were more things on that list and it could have gone on forever..
I guess I'm gonna try this out if my heart ever gets broken.. hihihi :D ;)
Tami (synchro from BL)
Funny and sweet romance. This was a great read for a rainy afternoon.

An engaging love story with a lot of banter and sense of humor. The love story itself was a bit predictable, but entertaining enough.
Butterscotch
Jun 26, 2016 Butterscotch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-books, dramatic, cute
Oh! A typical Chick-lit. Except I enjoyed this all the way to the moon.
Z
Jul 20, 2014 Z rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, crap, read-2014
Rachel Summer's makes To-Do lists persistently. When her long-term boyfriend dumps her, she decides to make a list of things to do as a new singleton.

Along with her friends Matthew and Emelie she finds herself with a compulsive need to do them all in the 2 weeks before her father's 4th wedding.

In theory, I like the idea of this book. What better way to forget about the man who dumped you than by looking to what you can do without him. In practice, most of what they do initially is get drunk, thr
Anera
Sep 15, 2011 Anera rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read those "i love/heart" books from lindsey yet. I like british humour and i enjoied 90% of the book. Sadly, I gave the book 3* though the book could deserve at least 4* if not 5*. the last 30 pages were so boring that I forced myself to read it till the end. Throughout the book, the main protagonist became more and more - numb. She made stupid excusses and talked in second person to herself. *******************************************************SPOILER******************************* ...more
Jamie
Description

Meredith Schorr
Jan 15, 2012 Meredith Schorr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first 5 star review of 2012 and I now have another favorite author in the chicklit genre. Can't believe I'd never read anything by Lindsey Kelk before. Her style reminds me a bit of Marian Keyes in the earlier years, like Last Chance Saloon and Sushi for Beginners, but I digress.

The Single Girl's To-Do List was definitely a page turner. The writing flowed incredibly well and never while I was reading did I get bored, antsy or want to skip ahead.

Rachel (Raquel!) Summers was a great main chara
Michele
What. A. Fun. Read. I first heard about this book from numerous people on Twitter, and in one of The Savvy Reader's email newsletters. I thought it would be like all the other "chick-lit"-type books, but with the rave reviews, I thought I'd give it a chance. Boy am I glad I did! It does still fall into that genre, but it's one of the more entertaining ones I've read. Kelk's writing has that witty British sense of humour, reminiscent of Bridget Jones.

The "single girl" in The Single Girl's To-Do L
Lydia Laceby
Originally Reviewed at Novel Escapes

So, I really just want to write my review as:

“Buy this book. Now.”

That’s how much I loved The Single Girl's To-Do List. I think I loved it even more than the I Heart series – shocking, I know – and it wasn’t just due to the fact that there was a little bit of a Toronto connection...

Rachel’s character captured my heart. I instantly related to her and rooted for her every step of the way while she mended her broken heart. Not a typical road to recovery consist
Rebecca
Apr 30, 2013 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Rachel Summers lives happily with her boyfriend of 5 years in their flat, thinking they will get married, have babies and live happily ever after; this is far from the case. Her boyfriend, Simon, says he wants 'a break' from their relationship, leaving Rachel completely shell shocked. Straight away one thing I did not like was how quick Rachel was to take him back after the way he treated her.
Anyway, in order to help her embrace single life, her two best friends Emelie and Matthew write her a l
Agi
Jun 12, 2011 Agi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I really enjoyed this book, to be honest, I enjoyd it more than the whole "I heart..." series. There was everything I have looked for: fun, relax, girls power... I loved all the characters, they were so realistic, I just wanted to be friends with them all (well, perhaps not with Simon). There was always something happening, one adventure took us to another one, and they were really funny, I have laughed out loud, and it doesn't happen often:) Actually, it was so nice written, in so interested wa ...more
Christiana
I was pretty let down by this main character love interest. This dude seemed kind of awful and although he admitted the mistakes, I wasn't really swept off my feet (and didn't think the rad main character should be in a relationship with him when she was good on her own). Maybe it's just because I read this after Bet Me and nothing can measure up?
Daisy Craydon
May 31, 2015 Daisy Craydon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lindsey Kelk does it again!

Another brilliant read, which includes an array of characters who you love to hate but love to love. Rachel Summers is so relatable and she really does have the perfect friends to get her through a tough break up.

The book wasn't as predictable as some of the I Heart series often was and did keep me guessing till the very last page.

The Single Girls To Do list is exactly the type of list I would put together and it's completely relate able.

I loved this book and would
Jun 26, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Really enjoyed this story. A bit more language than I like, but I did like the characters and the storyline. Definitely a very British chick-lit piece :)
Letta
Jul 25, 2014 Letta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason it took me 12 chapters to get into this book, which seemed ridiculous once it did get my attention, because it's such an amazing book. The friendship in this is just so beautiful, and then there's the perfectness that is Dan Fraser who is the reason I gave this book 4 rather than 3 stars.
Nana Konno
Jun 23, 2014 Nana Konno rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a light-fun-hilarious read!
Not as good as "A girl like you", but it was a nice chick-fun-lit!
  • The Dating Detox
  • Girl On The Run
  • (Un)like a Virgin
  • Katy Carter Wants a Hero (Katy Carter, #1)
  • Heaven Can Wait
  • The Beach Cafe
  • One Minute to Midnight
  • Here Come the Girls
  • The Love Academy
  • Meet Me at the Cupcake Café (At the Cupcake Café, #1)
  • Yours Truly
Bestselling British author based in Los Angeles. Lover of books, watcher of wrestling, wearer of lipstick. Karaoke enthusiast and cat wrangler. Lindsey is the author of twelve novels, including the bestselling I Heart series, About a Girl, The Single Girl’s To-Do List and Always the Bridesmaid.
More about Lindsey Kelk...

“I wasn't in love with Simon any more. I hadn't been in love with Simon for a long time. I was in love with not being on my own, with having someone there at the end of the day and now I knew I didn't need that. My heart was not broken over him: it was breaking for the things I had wanted from him. And I didn't want them any more.” 82 likes
“Bloody Facebook- and to think I'd enjoyed The Social Network. Clearly Mark Zuckerberg was the devil.” 25 likes