Start by marking “Gallivanting on Guam” as Want to Read:
Gallivanting on Guam

Gallivanting on Guam

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Gallivanting on Guam is a humorous and entertaining narrative of a man who moves to Guam to become the general manager of Tropics Gym. Immersing himself into the local culture he succumbs to a lifestyle of philandering and learns to balance his troubles with humor and personal growth while working for a corrupt businessman from a wealthy family. Readers will enjoy both the ...more
Published (first published May 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Gallivanting on Guam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gallivanting on Guam

An excellent read. Witty and humorous. You'd have to add insightful too. It's funny how much cultural information and historical perspective I got from reading this story. I laugh every time I get in my dads car now and he input our destination into the Magellan Roadmate navigation system. "Holy crap!" I exclaim, "You do know that thing could get us killed don't you?!" He just looks at me puzzled as I try explain the story of Magellan in Micronesia.

And btw, I DID in fact know where Guam was loca
Dave Slagle is a sharp, unblinking storyteller, an author with a taste for all that is real, scabrous and perverse. His narrator is a nameless, soulful figure who managed to stay true to himself while reporting on the wonderful local people and the corrupt souls he encountered on the island of Guam.
Bob F
Gallivanting on Guam is a cleverly constructed page-turner. Dave Slagle is the new master of smart mimicry, fluent dialogue and vivid descriptions. He offers a raw and sometimes harsh portrayal of purposelessly corrupt lives. Slagle's dynamic writing style and his narrator's view, seeing straight through the BS make this a must read for anyone who was ever on Guam. There are a few editorial flaws in this book but they do not take anything away from the story.
John Perez
John Perez marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Leilani marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Kathleen Thonet
Kathleen Thonet marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Melissa marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2012
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2012
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2012
Dee added it
Jun 11, 2015
Angela marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2011
Denise marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2011
Jun 21, 2011 Dave rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)