Start by marking “Dilvish, el maldito (Dilvish, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dilvish, el maldito (Dilvish, #1)

Dilvish, el maldito (The Dilvish Stories #1)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,478 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Como todos los jóvenes de buena cuna, entrenados para una vida de canciones y galanterías, Dilvish era impetuoso y no podía sufrir el ver a una damisela en apuros. Por ello, cuando su camino le hizo pasar, una noche aciaga, por aquella cumbre desolada donde una bella joven yacía atada a un altar siniestro a punto de sufrir un trágico destino. Dilvish no pudo sino interveni ...more
Published June 30th 2011 by La Factoria De Ideas (first published January 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Dilvish, el maldito, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dilvish, el maldito

Evgeny
Jul 02, 2015 Evgeny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is a collection of eleven short interconnecting stories from a great Master (with the capital M) of science fiction and fantasy written in sword and sorcery genre. The general theme is the following. A guy called Dilvish tried to interrupt a dark ritual by a white wizard gone bad who cursed the former by turning his body into a statue and sending his spirit straight to Hell - I mean the literal place.

Some time later (three hundred years) Dilvish somehow escaped with a prize of a horse righ
Mladen
Jul 06, 2015 Mladen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Još jednom - sjajan Zelazni s junakom koji balansira na razmeđi suprotnosti - polučovek-poluvilenjak, antijunak koji želi da čini dobra dela, dobročinitelj koji se rukovodi sopstvenim motivima - željom za osvetom, spadalo u smrtno ozbiljnim situacijama, s puno sjajnih avantura, neočekivanih obrta.
Sve to upakovano u nekoliko povezanih priča kojima gradi sliku u Dilvišu na različite načine - direktnim opisom, vizijama, flešbekovima, pripovestima iz prošlosti.
Sve u svemu, neodoljiv junak koji se l
Jim
Written after 'The Changing Land' this book gives us several short stories about Dilvish before the events in 'The Changing Land'. For a first read, I'd do so in the published order. After, I think reading this one first is the way to go. While some of the wonder is taken from 'The Changing Land', the added depth to the story makes up for it.

It's a good sword & sorcery novel collection of short stories written in a mostly straight forward manner. One story is told in an epic mode. You can al
Kala
Feb 25, 2013 Kala rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A perennial favourite of mine, Dilvish is one of my comfort books, an old friend. For a series of short stories, it hangs together very well.

Dilvish is a bit of a mirror-hero, in that the reader can project their own aspirations onto him, rather than being subsumed by his drives. Dilvish's needs are simple: Find and defeat his enemy.

From some perhaps it makes the stories and characterization thin but for me, it adds to the richness of the storytelling and world building.

Some of the plot and oth
Rhys
Jan 07, 2014 Rhys rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Utterly conventional fantasy from a master of the form. But is it really so conventional? Dilvish is a standard hero in many ways, chivalrous, courageous, a skilled swordsman, a rescuer of damsels in distress, and he is possessed of almost no cynicism or greed.

His deadly enemy Jelerak the sorceror is almost a textbook villain, utterly cruel, arrogant, supremely powerful and extremely evil. He imprisoned Dilvish in Hell for two hundred years after Dilvish unwittingly interrupted one of Jelerak's
Bill
Jun 15, 2013 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Actually 3.5 stars but bumping up.)

I've had this book for ages, but never read it because of the terrible 80s cover. I read the first few Dilvish stories while working my way through Zelazny's collected stories, and figured I'd finish out the book all at once.

On the whole, I enjoyed the stories, cover notwithstanding. In the collected stories, Zelazny notes this was his attempt at a Conan pastiche, and in that regard, I'd say it succeeds. Dilvish is a little smarter than Conan, and dabbles in s
Juno
Jul 10, 2015 Juno rated it liked it
Dilvish, el Maldito (1982), por Roger Zelazny.

„Es un dolor en el culo esperar a que alguien trate de matarte.„

Roger Zelazny

Roger Zelazny, autor casi desconocido en los países sudamericanos, fue un prolífico cultivador de la ciencia ficción y la fantasía. Mundialmente famoso por las Crónicas de Ambar y obras como El Señor de la Luz, y Tú, el inmortal, se caracterizaba por mostrar un mundo totalmente distinto en cada libro nuevo. Son sólo muy pocas las ocaciones en las que sus historias transcurre
Curt Lorde
Aug 09, 2010 Curt Lorde rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A formerly cursed hero, arises from the beyond to a vastly different world. A sorcerer is on his immediate 'To kill' list.
His trusty steed is a demon encased in the iron body of a black stallion. And he has a hellish sense of humor. This collection of short stories about the adventures of Dilvish and his quest for revenge takes him across his world and meetings with beings you could have dinner with enjoyably
or be an enjoyable dinner! A splendid example of writing an epic adventure in a few page
Slingshot
Nov 28, 2014 Slingshot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Some of the plot and othe
Jordan
Mar 19, 2013 Jordan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This quick read follows the picaresque tales of Dilvish, the Damned. It’s an old school fantasy that had a clear influence on D&D. The writing is economical and fast-moving.

There’s a lot of clever ideas, and the idea of a protagonist that escaped from hell after centuries of torment is a good one. Admittedly, one that could’ve easily weighted the story down in angst. But Zelazny keeps a swashbuckling pace, with a main character haunted by but never defined by his experiences.
Иван Величков
Добре, защо по дяволите не е преведена на български? Питал съм поне 20 човека, които се занимават с преводи или книгоиздаване и не получих задоволителен отговор. Не е от най-големите шедьоври на Зелазни, но си заслужава. 11 истории свързани с общ главен герой, написани в невероятния, поетичен стил на Зелазни. Историите се развиват преди романа "Изменящата се земя," който е преведен 'щото е роман, ама е по-слаб от разказите. Има войни и магьосници, богове и демони, битки и бягства, омагьосани хор ...more
Erez Schatz
May 16, 2015 Erez Schatz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Amazing feat. This book is a compilation of short stories, written in different times, sometimes years apart. Similar books (e.g. Moorcock's Elric saga), tend to be disjointed and the seams are showing, especially since the writer's style changes dramatically. This book, however, is much more cohesive than its counterparts and the flow is impeccable.
Alex Bergonzini
Si algo le ha faltado al libro es emoción, aunque sea un compendio de aventuras de un pobre maldito y su raro caballo, no acaba de enganchar suficientes los relatos, que no llegan a aburrir, pero si rozan la línea peligrosamente. Pero es Zelazny, con su fantasía y sus moralejas, con sus toques contemporáneos y su humor desvergonzado.

La relación entre jinete y montura resulta singular, me recuerda un poco al coche fantástico y a Michael Knight: "Kit, te necesito" donde siempre el jinete se metía
bluetyson
Dilvish- the Damned by Zelazny Roger (1993)
Alazzar
Jan 11, 2012 Alazzar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is more like 3.5 stars, but I decided to round up, because, hey--it's Zelazny. If anyone has earned some up-rounding, it's him.

This was my second time diving into the Dilvish tales. The last time I’d read his stories, I'd done so while I was going through the six-volume Collected Stories of Roger Zelazny, meaning I didn't read all 11 of Dilvish's adventures in a row--they were sprinkled here and there throughout Roger's other works. This time, however, I cracked those books open lookin' for
Carlos
Nov 11, 2013 Carlos rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roger Zelazny obtuvo el Hugo (el más afamado premio de ciencia ficción en el mundo) en seis ocasiones, y en tres el Nebula. Es decir, su obra en torno a este género se ha revestido de gran trascendencia y reconocimiento. Pero este autor es más recordado por su obra fantástica, en la que sobresale su serie “Amber”. En esta ocasión quisiera hablar de “Dilvish, el maldito”, una colección de relatos que dan cuenta de la gran visión y versatilidad de este notorio autor de culto.
Esta antología alberga
Xabier
Feb 08, 2015 Xabier rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasía
Está compuesto por varios relatos cortos que preceden a lo contado en "La tierra cambiante" (que aún no he leído).
Alguno de los relatos es interesante pero otros me parecieron completamente anodinos.
Las historias casi no dan lugar al desarrollo del personaje principal por lo que al final los personajes. incluido el propio Dilvish, son para mi gusto demasiado arquetípicos.
Después de probar el estilo de Geroge R.R. Martin o Andrzej Sapkowski tengo la sensación de que he leido este libro 30 años ta
Dave
Oct 16, 2015 Dave rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I originally read about half of the book and was going to give it 3 stars. The book was OK, well written, but just not my cup of tea.
I decided to press on, though, since it wasn't very long.
I should have listened to my previous instincts.
While the book was still OK, it had no ending. The whole point of the book seemed to be Dilvish seeking revenge on Jelerak. But, he never even meets him and it just ends. So it felt like a complete waste of time.
Jordi de Groot
Es un curioso libro con pequeñas historias de un mismo personaje. Aunque no están relacionadas, sí tienen una continuidad en el tiempo. Debe ser que no estoy acostumbrado a estos escritores de fantasía de los 70, pero creo que le falta más literatura y más personaje. Por momentos parecía que estuviese leyendo a Asimov (por el tipo de redacción).
Aún así, recomendable para ampliar fronteras.
Bryan Chambers
David
Oct 08, 2013 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roger Zelazny was he first science fiction/fantasy I had ever read and to this day remains the best, second only to Tolkien. While he is known for his science fiction, his fantasy is top notch excitement and fun. He constantly uses nods to historical and mythological themes while keeping the story his own. In Dilvish the Damned it is a story of vengeance. Dilvish was unjustly sent to hell and when he gets out, he wants some pay back. Magic, swords, and strange creatures await you in this fast pa ...more
Psychophant
There are two different styles to the stories that make up this book. The earlier ones, from the sixties, remind me of Lord Dunsany and Vance's the Dying Earth, full of a sense of humorous wonder. The others, from the late 70s, follow Leiber's fantasy and Lin Carter's version of Conan.

I much prefer the first kind, but the other stories are also quite entertaining, with Dilvish being often caught in events beyond his control, though not beyond his destructive abilities.

Black, his horse, is the be
Canavan
Dalibor Ivanovic
Feb 09, 2016 Dalibor Ivanovic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knjige
Nekakva ajd četvorka nategnuta. ipak je to Zelazny pa bi mi bilo glupo mu davati manje ocjene. No uglavnom priče su OK, ništa posebno, stil pisanja je u stilu i glavni lik je "faca". Čak tu i tamo neku ljubavnu zgodu doživi ali općenito su svi protiv njega i svatko ga želi na neki način zaje... Eto da sam ovu knjigu pročitao prije dvadeset godina sigurno bi me fascinirala al eto nakon gomile knjiga mogu rec da je ništa posebno ali čitljiva jer su priče kratke.
Kara-karina
Я читала этот сборник рассказов на русском и с первой же новеллы мне резанул по глазам англифицированный перевод. Как-то совершенно неуютно и отрывочно. То ли перевод попался неудачный, то ли я забыла сам стиль Желязны. Книгу пришлось забросить, я её лучше на английском прочту.
Đenis
Nov 05, 2015 Đenis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-shelf
Viac prepojená zbierka poviedok ako nejaký ucelený príbeh. Zoznámenie sa s Dilvishom a o jeho ceste za odplatou. O Jeleraka tu len mierne zavadí a väčšina deja sa odohráva v postranných zápletkách.
Stuart Langridge

Never actually read this until my friend Andy battered me into submission about how I should. It holds up surprisingly well and is surprisingly fun. Zelazny really was good.

Jimbo
Oct 07, 2008 Jimbo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was like a bunch of short stories about the main character and his metal horse. the stories themselves were good, but the book as a whole wasnt very great.
Nicole
Jul 11, 2008 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
A series of tales about Dilvish who is only 1/2 human. Returned to life accompanied by his faithful demon horse 'Black' he seeks the sorcerer who sent him to hell.
Steve
Feb 06, 2013 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the greatest books of the genre.
The Changing Land equally so. If you don't think so you need to read it again, maybe in a better frame of mind.
  • Roger Zelazny's Chaos and Amber (Dawn of Amber Trilogy, #2)
  • Where the Evil Dwells
  • The World of Tiers, Volume 1 (World of Tiers Omnibus 1-3)
  • The Swords Trilogy (Corum, #1-3)
  • Lord of the Fantastic: Stories in Honor of Roger Zelazny
  • Voyage of the Shadowmoon
  • Cold Allies
  • Volkhavaar
  • Triplet
  • Prostho Plus
  • Darkness Weaves
  • The Flying Sorcerers
  • Północna granica (Księga całości, #1)
  • Champions of the Sidhe
  • Swords Against Wizardry (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #4)
  • The Magic May Return
  • Psychoshop
Roger Zelazny made his name with a group of novellas which demonstrated just how intense an emotional charge could be generated by the stock imagery of sf; the most famous of these is A Rose for Ecclesiastes in which a poet struggles to convince dying and sterile Martians that life is worth continuing. Zelazny continued to write excellent short stories throughout his career. Most of his novels dea ...more
More about Roger Zelazny...

The Dilvish Stories (2 books)
  • The Changing Land