Start by marking “Inside Coca-Cola: A CEO's Life Story of Building the World's Most Popular Brand” as Want to Read:
Inside Coca-Cola: A CEO's Life Story of Building the World's Most Popular Brand

Inside Coca-Cola: A CEO's Life Story of Building the World's Most Popular Brand

The first book by a Coca-Cola CEO tells the remarkable story of the company’s revival

Neville Isdell was a key player at Coca-Cola for more than 30 years, retiring in 2009 as CEO after regilding the tarnished brand image of the world’s leading soft-drink company. This first book by a Coca-Cola CEO tells an extraordinary personal and professional world-wide story, ra
Published October 13th 2011 by Pan Macmillan-St. Martin's Press (first published October 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Inside Coca-Cola, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside Coca-Cola

Taylor Ford
May 01, 2012 Taylor Ford rated it it was amazing
This book was my type because it was a biography. Biographies are my favorite genre of books because they describe the story of a person's life and usually there are people that I find interesting that have biographies about them. For example, I really liked the book o Steve Jobs. Also there was a book on Harry Houdini. This book was captivating because I never knew that Coke and Pepsi were in a competition to be the best of the soft drink market. In the book it talked a lot about Coke's competi ...more
Cafrey Ma
Feb 12, 2017 Cafrey Ma rated it really liked it
Shelves: business-books
Read about the business and career adventures of Neville Isdell, who climbed the career ladder at Coca Cola from a bottling company in Africa to eventually becoming its CEO and Chairman. Be inspired by traveling with him throughout his 40-year journey and observe what you could learn and apply in your life and career.
Frezanda
Jan 29, 2014 Frezanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
My first impression of this book is that this must be the most boring book I've ever read. If not because of my assignment, I would not plough through it.
However, after I get into the story and all the names, I decided I like this book.
The author has tendency to write all the names of the people he encountered. No matter how small this person's role in the story. He named all sorts of people from the lowly driver to the highest CEO. This habit which I hated at the beginning becomes the thing tha
Phillipa
Apr 03, 2014 Phillipa rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I really enjoyed this book. I'm sure it had plenty to do with the time spent in South Africa, making it quite fascinating, I thought. I mean I never really considered that a business man working here could end up playing on such a global stage for such a well-known brand (although he is not actually a South African, but still). If you like non-fiction life-stories, I'd highly recommend this one.
Mala Ashok
Apr 04, 2016 Mala Ashok rated it liked it
This book is billed as 'A CEO's life story of building the world's Most popular Brand.' Indeed it is the story of Coke and its growth along with Neville Isdell's rise in the company. However, it is more than that. It talks about the politics in various areas that Isdell served in and the culture in Africa, Asia, and Europe. All in all it makes for interesting reading.
Ankit Sharma
Feb 24, 2015 Ankit Sharma rated it it was amazing
Loved every bit of the book. The story of how a person rises from a bottler salesman to run THE company makes fantastic reading.

"When God created the world, he created Coke number one and Pepsi number two."
This quote will stay with me forever.
Niharika
Feb 19, 2017 Niharika rated it really liked it
he explained it so well. Just like a person who would have lived like him.
I learned so much and eliminated my own fears which i had with my career. Its not easy to be odd one out but he gives courage to stand for right and bold.
I loved the novel.
Sergei_kalinin
May 23, 2012 Sergei_kalinin rated it really liked it
Shelves: marketing, management
Я бы обозначил жанр этой книги как "мотивационное чтение для топ-менеджеров" :) Причем, "мотивационное" не в смысле пафосных слов про "миссию", "предназначение", "смысл жизни и деятельности" и т.п. - а в смысле простого образца: "Вот, ребята, как надо жить и работать! Берите пример с конкретного дяденьки! :)) Если вы действительно МЕНЕДЖЕРЫ, а не какие-нибудь там коекакеры :)))".

Формально книга - это "трудовая биография" автора, прошедшего путь длиной в жизнь от рядового торгового представителя
Alvaro Monzon
Feb 26, 2016 Alvaro Monzon rated it really liked it
Inside Coca-Cola by Neville Isdell and David Beasley
Reviewed by Alvaro Monzon

My star rating for this book is going to be four stars. I really liked this book a lot but there are somethings that he talks about that I feel that are not of much relevance for what he is actually talking about. Apart from that it is a really good book.

This book relates to my hero’s journey because it is a lot about business management. In every success that the company had I could always find a really important thing
Bharat Jhurani
Dec 01, 2012 Bharat Jhurani rated it it was amazing
Autobiographies have been my favorite genre for a long time. More so if the story is more of a general recount of happenings during a particular stint rather than a history of the entire life of an individual.

PhotobucketInside Coca-Cola: A CEO’s life story of building the world’s most popular brand, By Neville Isdell perfectly fits the bill for this. Neville Isdell was a key player at Coca-Cola for more than 30 years, retiring in 2009 as CEO after rejuvenating the tarnished image of the world’s
Julio Biason
O grande problema com biografias -- ou apresentações de história na primeira pessoa -- é que é esperado que a pessoa conte sobre o que o autor sentiu; caso contrário, tudo se torna tão impessoal que o mesmo parece uma ficção.

Em Always Looking Up: The Adventures of an Incurable Optimist, por exemplo, Michael J Fox sempre trata a doença falando de si mesmo e como ela o afeta, e assim tu se relaciona com ele e sente que ele é um humano de verdade. Em Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road, Neil P
Sutar Djohar
"Kekasih pujaan jiwaku, dengan membaca buku ini aku menjadi tahu, betapa semua hasil yang maksimal adalah merupakan buah perjuangan yang tak kenal henti, seperti rasa sayangku padamu yang tak pernah terhenti, doaku semoga semua ini dapat menjadi MOTIVASI untuk ke masa depan kita"

Siapa yang tak kenal dengan Brand Coca-cola, sebuah produk yang sudah mendunia, uraian dari kisah sukses CEO coca-cola yanng membenahi manajemen perusahaan dan menciptakan sebuah Brand yang di kenal di semua kalangan mas
Truly
Jan 09, 2013 Truly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Sekali sebuah buku mengenai perjalanan minuman ringan yang dikenal dengan nama Coca-cola menuju sukses. Kali iini buku yang ditulis oleh Neville Isdell dan David Beasley mengisahkan tentang kesuksesan Coca-cola sebagai penyelia kebahagian, purveyor of happines. Tengok semua iklan produk ini, pasti menggusung suasana ceria dalam lingkungan keluarga, sahabat bahkan kehidupan sehari-hari.

---------

Buku ini mengisahkan betapa beratnya perjuang
Skye
Apr 16, 2015 Skye rated it liked it
This book isn't necessarily the most engaging 'life story of building a huge brand - (see: Apple, Pixar, Amazon & Starbucks)', but as the story went on, I developed a better understanding of how things work and also more respect for the guy. I mean, he's not perfect (he thinks sociology is social work!!!) but to have the guts and confidence to forge ahead with such a huge task is definitely admirable. At the end of the day, get the job done!

Here's a 'LOL'worthy (but very memorable) quote

"I h
Effendy Yahaya
Jun 24, 2015 Effendy Yahaya rated it it was amazing
It is an interesting piece of Coke being narrated that subconsciously attract me to drinks and tastes more flavor of Coca-Cola from diet, vanilla, and classic. Previously during my MBA class, as we have run through the case study of Coca-Cola, had enlighten me the fight against Pepsi that had brought me to buy this particular book. What an insight and it has been written, as it went through a good feel of Coke is all about. The story coming from the overview of what supply chain is all about, pr ...more
...
Apr 18, 2014 ... rated it really liked it
كتاب ممتع وقراءته سهلة..يعرض فيه الكاتب تجربته على مدار سنوات في إدارة مصانع كوكا كولا من بدءاً من إدارة اقليمية لاحد المقرات في افريقيا إلى أن اصبح الرئيس التنفيذي للمجموعة كاملة

رحلة نيفل داخل كوكا كانت خيالية..بدأها صدفة في سنوات الشباب في افريقيا وتنقل بين إدارات عديدة لكوكا حول العالم من جوهانسبرغ إلى المانيا إلى الاتحاد السوفييتي..من التجارب المميزة المعروضة كانت إرساله للفليبين بعدما كسبت بيبسي حصة كبيرة من سوق هذ االبلد الإستراتيجي..ايسدل بدأ بحملة دعائية بسيطة مقاربة لهذا الشعب من خلال ت
Doug
May 18, 2012 Doug rated it it was ok
Only for aficionados of the soft drink business, and even there it is fairly shallow. As a former employee of Pepsi, coincidentally in many of the same locations Isdell discusses, I was hoping for some insight into their strategies, tactics and decision-making processes. Although there are a few interesting 'war stories,' the writing is generally at the level of 'business-speak,' which means platitudes such as 'work hard.'

If you're interested in light reading about the life and career path of a
Santosh Rangapure
Nov 15, 2016 Santosh Rangapure rated it liked it
An interesting story about the biggest brand "Coca Cola" in the world. Its amazing to know the penetration of brand Coca Cola in every corner of the world, there are only two countries in the world now Cuba and North Korea where Coke is not available now. With this one can imaging the magnitude of growth for any business, I am astonished.
Worth readable but you cannot call this as story from the birth of Coca Cola, I was expecting complete Coca Cola journey when I picked up the book, but its mai
Anandh Sundar
Dec 14, 2012 Anandh Sundar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like most retired CEO auto-biographies, this book tends to be a hagiography. But what saves this book from the trash pile is that this is a person who became a CEO AFTER retirement from the same company(!) and turned around the company successfully. That alone warrants a read, and he does not disappoint with his homespun examples of leading from the front, empowering people etc. I did get the feeling that he likes his 'yes men' but that is merely style, not to detract from the book . In any case ...more
Tricia
Dec 04, 2012 Tricia rated it really liked it
For those expecting a marketing book, you'll be disappointed.

It is, however, a wonderful book about the incredible life of Neville Isdell, a man who happens to be the CEO of Coca Cola.

I've come to learn and appreciate what I have. I will no longer whinge about how dreadful meetings are. No matter how painful they are, they pale in comparison to those that involve guns. I should be so grateful.

This book has opened my small little mind to what the world has to offer if you have the balls to accep
Debaprabho Bhattacharya
unlike what the title claims, this is more a quick read travelogue of isdell, and there is hardly anything if you are looking for brand management. However, if you want to have an understanding about what a ceo's life is all about, then you can quickly browse through it. But then Isdell can be forgiven if he has done that, coz can 1 honestly expect the ceo of the world's highest equity brand to have allowed us a peak into the nuts and bolts? maybe not!
Kathleen Elizabeth
Feb 17, 2015 Kathleen Elizabeth rated it liked it
Neville Isdell led a very interesting life! It was cool to find out that the CEO of the company for 5 years was Irish-born but had lived in Africa for a long period of time. It's a great account of climbing the corporate ladder and making strategic business decisions. I would have liked to learn a little bit more about the inner workings of the company itself but I still enjoyed the book. I have to say I'm rather jealous of all the traveling he's done and the people he has met.
Gavin
Dec 14, 2014 Gavin rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography-memoir
As a biography and a historical account of Coca-Cola's presence in Africa, this was a good book. If you're looking for a business manual, look elsewhere. Glimpses into Isdell's business philosophies are few and far between. Anyone not deeply interested in a sprawling account of Coca-Cola's battles with political upheaval and competition in Africa and southern Asia should note that the final chapter on Connected Capitalism is really the only one worth reading.
Mikedariano
Jul 09, 2016 Mikedariano rated it liked it
Good, not great. I usually avoid books like this. The former-CEO-paris-up-with-journalist-for-glowing-memoir typically makes me gag. This wasn't entirely this.

Isdell's time in Africa, Germany, and the Philippines was all good. As were some of the decision points with what to do regarding the different Coke bottlers. I wanted more "inner workings" of Coca Cola. The best CEO books are Shoe Dog and Losing my Virginity but this was a good effort and worth the (short) time it took to read.
Harshit Gupta
Sep 27, 2012 Harshit Gupta rated it really liked it
Is the story of his beginnings in Africa that I liked a lot. And then there was a bit of his talks about India and his tenure at the top of coke that wasn't the best of the book, but then at the end the examples he gave of connected capitalism were interesting again. Overall, quite liked the book, except for a few places where the CEO seemed to be a bit defensive.
Sky
Oct 28, 2014 Sky rated it did not like it
This book started out good, but quickly went downhill. It is very boring, and ALL about the business with just a bit of personality entwined. It would have been much better if it had facts about Coke in it and a better storyline. I couldn't get through it very easily and stopped reading about halfway through as I just could not keep my eyes open and it was uninteresting.
Ankur
Feb 27, 2013 Ankur rated it really liked it
Awesome read! An autobiography with important business lessons carefully weaved in or shall I say a business book the story of which is told via a heart-warming autobiography. Must read for people who are trying to connect the non-profits and corporates to form a more sustainable 'social entrepreneurship' model.

Key takeaways-
Key business lessons
Connected Capitalism
Key World History events
Marc Forrest
Jan 06, 2016 Marc Forrest rated it really liked it
A great insight into a man who eventually went onto change the world of Coca Cola and some of the interesting stories that went with it. Was interesting to see he spent a fair amount of time in South Africa and the love for the country. If you a fan of biographies and business then this is a must read
Marina Zala
** Books 208 - 2014 **

Inspiring books from Mr. Neville Isdale and how his experience start from below until became CEO and chairman of Coca Cola. The story tells us to never give up, work hard and everything is start from small into bigger one! always dream that you can make it!

i love this biography books! i will give 3,9 stars! inspiring!
Nicholas Why
Feb 20, 2016 Nicholas Why rated it did not like it
I was expecting a dramatic show of business politicking & checkmates but all I got were his travel stories to various countries & meeting important people. Yeah I know those were the circles he moved in but where's the heart & soul of Coca Cola's story? I certainly didn't learn anything new from this boring biography.
  • The TCS Story . . . And Beyond
  • Last Man Standing: The Ascent of Jamie Dimon and JPMorgan Chase
  • Thinking Small: The Long, Strange Trip of the Volkswagen Beetle
  • To The Point: The No Holds Barred Autobiography
  • Brainworks: The Mind-bending Science of How You See, What You Think, and Who You Are
  • The Wal-Mart Way: The Inside Story of the Success of the World's Largest Company
  • Kellogg on Marketing
  • My Country My Life
  • The Vorpal Blade (Tweed & Co., #19)
  • Shift: Inside Nissan's Historic Revival
  • The Elegant Solution: Toyota's Formula for Mastering Innovation
  • 5 Gears: How to Be Present and Productive When There Is Never Enough Time
  • Pioneering Portfolio Management: An Unconventional Approach to Institutional Investment
  • Snapshots From Hell: The Making Of An MBA
  • For God, Country and Coca-Cola: The Definitive History of the Great American Soft Drink and the Company That Makes It
  • Toll For The Brave
  • Sunlight on a Broken Column
  • Dare to Dream and Work to Win: Understanding Dollars and Sense of Success in Network Marketing