Start by marking “Dream Dark (Caster Chronicles, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
Dream Dark (Caster Chronicles, #2.5)

Dream Dark (Caster Chronicles #2.5)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  13,357 Ratings  ·  839 Reviews
When Link joined his best friend, Ethan Wate, on a quest through a mysterious network of underground passageways endlessly crisscrossing the South, he knew the journey would be dangerous. But returning home to Gatlin, South Carolina was just the beginning...

Wounded during a climactic battle, Link discovers that tending his injuries won't be as simple as visiting a doctor a
Published August 2nd 2011 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published 2011)

Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiHana by Lauren OliverGlitches by Marissa MeyerSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
18th out of 608 books — 1,134 voters
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie MeyerMidnight Sun by Stephenie MeyerThe Twilight Saga by Stephenie MeyerAdrian's Lost Chapter by Richelle MeadShelby’s First Glimpse by Lauren Kate
Extras
22nd out of 109 books — 88 voters

More lists with this book...

Heidi
Oct 26, 2011 Heidi rated it really liked it
Dream Dark is a small splice in the Caster's Chronicles. This short story follows the lovable Link as he begins his metamorphosis into Linkubus or an incubus. I was distraught at the end of Beautiful Darkness when Link was bitten by the half incubus, John Breed. How could you ruin my favorite character? Fear not, fellow Link lovers; our beloved Link is intact and better than ever. As an incubus, Link finally morphs into the muscular, "third degree burns hot", babe magnet that he always aspires t ...more
Stacia (the 2010 club)
This is the story of Gatlin's first, and only, Linkubus.

I approve of this message.

Very short review for a very short story. It's no secret that I'm only still reading these books for Link and Ridley. Beautiful Darkness was a bland 2 star read for me. The only parts which had my interest were any scenes with L & R. So it's no surprise that I enjoyed this L & R short much more than I did an actual book about Ethan and Lena.

In fact, this might be one of those rare occasions in which I'm
Sophie Riggsby
I think that somewhere right about here, this series jumped the shark for me. I'm sorry to say good-bye to my beloved Ethan, but I just don't care for the "who's mortal/immortal in this story?" feel of the plot lines.

This is an example of a series that would've been wonderful as a two-book series.

Good-bye Ethan. Lena, I hope you choose one or the other side or frankly, both if it suits you.
Ron
Oct 24, 2011 Ron rated it really liked it
My first thought after finishing this: "What? That's it? That's the end? It's too short!"

I was really getting into the story and was surprised when I turned the page and saw the authors' bio.
It's still a good lead-up to the third novel in the series.

If you don't know, 'Dream Dark' is short story set in the same world as 'Beautiful Creatures' and 'Beautiful Darkness'. It's pretty much a prequel to 'Beautiful Chaos' (which was released on Oct. 18), focusing on the series' main character's friend,
nancy (The Ravenous Reader)
Aug 13, 2011 nancy (The Ravenous Reader) rated it it was amazing
When it comes to the saying "good things come in small packages" nothing rings more true than Dream Dark by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. This mini-novella packs a wallop of a punch because it is full of mystery, laughs and the awesomeness that is Linkcubus.

I adore this series for it's Gothic feel and beautifully descriptive writing for it conjures up the most vivid imagery and makes you feel like sipping sweet tea while hiding out in your closet.

Dream Dark is a mini-novella centering on Lin
Alex Bennett
When I read Beautiful Creatures, I was amazed. After reading the second book, Beautiful Darkness, I wasn’t as pleased. My main problem with the second book in the Beautiful Creatures series was Lena, but I started Dream Dark with a fresh mind, knowing that this short story featured Link, who has always been one of my favorite characters from the series.

Dream Dark tells the story of Link, rowdy, love-stricken teen boy and his transformation to an incubus, completely unaware of what lies ahead for
Kristen
Nov 30, 2011 Kristen rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
These little "novellas" are starting to get annoying. I read this in 30 minutes. And it feels like a waste of the $1.99 to amazon. The preview of the next full length book was longer. And if I need the few facts that were learned in this little detour then we should just get them in one of the longer books. For those who agree that a book that takes less than an hour to read isn't worth it visit my blog over the next few days and I will tell you all you need to know from this book there! The det ...more
C
Mar 04, 2013 C rated it it was ok
Should not have wasted my time with this. In Beautiful Redemption , the characters reference incidents from this short story, enticing me to read it. Now I'm sorry I spent the $2. Yes, I realize it was a short story. However, in kindle measurement, I didn't really expect it to end at 41%. Yes, a full 59% of the story/book I bought was the preview for the next book in the series. LAME.
Neil (or bleed)
Mar 12, 2015 Neil (or bleed) rated it really liked it
Shelves: novellas, 2013-reads
A novella dedicated to Link. Awesome.
His life being an Incubus.
And there is a new character I thought has no importance but unfortunately I'm wrong.
Chayse Sundt
Aug 26, 2015 Chayse Sundt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: august-tbr-2015
I am not going to lie but I was expecting it to be just a little bit longer. Well at least by looking at what page I finished the book on my nook at, I was expecting a little bit more but I could have actually read more.

However, I like being able to read from another character’s perspective. I feel that when we are able to do this, we are able to see what is happening from not only a different side of it but also get a different opinion sometimes. And I am glad that we are able to get a side fr
Lee Coleman
Jun 13, 2013 Lee Coleman rated it liked it
DD is a 41 page short story that takes place after beautiful darkness and centers around ethan's best friend, link. this short novella was apparantly released as a separate installment after BD and included early bonus chapters of beautiful chaos. so while DD states it is a 75 page book, it is actually only 41 pages long, and subsequently many GR reviews will reflect disappointment in spending $1.99 on 41 pages. fortunately for me, i got it as a bonus included at the back of my paperback copy of ...more
Heather
Aug 15, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
From the first sentence of any of the Caster Chronicles books, you instantly feel like you're amongst friends and you're home. And in this short story taking place between last year's Beautiful Darkness and the upcoming Beautiful Chaos, you step right back into the thick of things in Gatlin and get reacquainted with Ethan, Lena, ex-Siren Ridley, and new Incubus Link.

Ethan's best friend, Link was bitten at the end of Beautiful Darkness by John Breed, and Dream Dark follows his transformation fro
Tom
Dec 27, 2012 Tom rated it really liked it
What do you do when you wake up one morning, and you've become an Incubus? You can't stand the smell of food, you've grown taller and stronger overnight, and it's not like you can find a pamphlet somewhere.

This is the situation Wesley "Link" Lincoln now finds himself. After his oh-so-mortal mom drags him to see the doctor--and have Link tested for steroid abuse--Link finally consults somebody who knows: his girlfriend's Uncle Macon, himself a former Incubus. Turns out, it's really not that diff
Kristi
Jan 22, 2013 Kristi rated it it was ok
Coqui
Jun 05, 2013 Coqui rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
I wanted to read this short story as an ending of the Caster Chronicles... I didn't I would like this side of the story more than the actual story.

This is the short story of the one and only Linkubus, i always liked this character in the story because it brings the human part, with this I don't mean that Ethan is not human but he is so in love that he sometimes forgets it... that is when Link comes around.

To hear the transformation from the Link part s very good because is real and written in
Jessica (Goldenfurpro)
This was a really short story giving more insight on how Link dealt with being an Incubus. I'm not the hugest fan of this series, but I did find this book very interesting. It's nice to see how he dealt with it and it was oddly amusing seeing how Link's family thought about his new abilities.

My only complaint would be that this is from Ethan's point of view, which doesn't really make much sense. I would have preferred to see this fro Link's perspective.

Anyway, this novella isn't necessary for y
Allie
Jul 15, 2013 Allie rated it really liked it
This book was a short story at the end of my copy of Beautiful Darkness, so I didn't need to purchase it extra. Honestly I didn't even realize it was on here until a friend of mine marked it to read! I love Link, he is one of my favorite characters in the series. I have to agree with most people that this story was too short! It did show some wonderful Link development and I really enjoyed getting away from the Ethan/Lena drama a bit.
Aprille
Oct 10, 2013 Aprille rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
A 35-page story. Set between Beautiful Darkness and Beautiful Chaos, introducing Link as succubus. Finally, an exclusive look into Link's change and a great lead into the third book. It ended kind of abruptly, coz I think I expected a little bit more. Nonetheless I suppose it does add to the storyline but it was awfully short.
Louisa
Jan 13, 2015 Louisa rated it it was amazing
This story was weird, and awesome, though the ending, with the guy who was supposed to get Macon's note being killed by Hunter, and then the note being blank, yeah. I can't wait to reread more, I know a bit of what's going to happen next, but not all!
Jul 27, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok
Not sure what the point of this short story was...maybe it will make more sense in the next book.
Kenneth Hayes Geary
Jul 13, 2015 Kenneth Hayes Geary rated it it was ok
This is a super short about Link, one of my favorite characters. Unfortunately the authors choose to do some crazy stuff with the point of view here. The story is told from Ethan's point of view even though he is mostly absent from the story and it just came off as really weird. I would have much preferred if a story about Link was told from his point of view.

A note while it's a nice little story the size of the story is completely misleading, over half of the size is really a preview for the n
Andrew
Nov 28, 2012 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Review Taken From The Pewter Wolf

Following the events of Beautiful Darkness, something isn't right with Link. He seems to have gone off his food. He seems to have grown several inches taller. And when did he develop muscles like that from? And how did he heal from that bite so fast? Look out Gatlin, South Carolina, here comes the first Linkubus...

This is a story for the fans. I have to say this first and foremost so, if you're like me and know nothing of the series, BACK AWAY! This isn't for you
Daniela S
Jun 06, 2013 Daniela S rated it really liked it
When I began reading this book, I expected something longer and a more complicated story. My biggest complain is the fact that the preview from Beautiful Chaos(the next book) is actually longer than the actual story.
But anyway, I really liked the story and I liked the switch to Link's point of view, even if it wasn't completely successful because Ethan was writing it, even though it did't really show because he said approximately 4 lines in 1st person. Anyway, I loved to see more of Macon, sinc
Liz { nvl.tea }
Jan 23, 2012 Liz { nvl.tea } rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, bonus-content, own
My first thought on finishing this was that is was entirely too short! Linkubus could have an entire full-length novel devoted to him, and I'd be happy.

Basically, this little slip of a novella is set between "Beautiful Darkness" and "Beautiful Chaos". I picked this up before delving into "Beautiful Chaos", so I can't judge how relevant it is to the third novel at this point. My opinion is that it maybe could have been included in "Beautiful Chaos" somewhere - or at least the details of it. It's
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
I can't rate Dream Dark like a novel because it is too short even to be a novella. Because of this, I rated it 3.5 stars but rounded up because it had the potential to be longer but still has everything I love about this series. The reader gains a lot of information in this short little mini-book, and though the action takes place immediately after the events of Beautiful Darkness, the information does not become immediately pertinent until after Beautiful Chaos. I bought this short on my kindle ...more
fennie
Sep 24, 2015 fennie rated it liked it
wayyy to short! i have a love/hate of kindle novellas. while on one hand, they give you a deeper look into the worlds that authors have created, they're also torturous because there are so few words. there's never enough to be satisfying, only enough to get emotions riled up only to be left breathless/reeling and left to wait for the next book. why, that's quite genius if you ask me.

regardless, i loved reading link's story even though it felt so truncated. but let's be honest, i really didn't ne
Jenny Jo Weir
Mar 07, 2016 Jenny Jo Weir rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this little extra tidbit on Link's development.

This is just a small novella about Link and his transition but I feel it really helps and adds to the story line. I'm glad the authors took time to write this and add a little bit more about him to help us better understand what he is going through.

It's always fun to find out what's in Link's head. He is a silly loveable character.
Dee Cuadra
Apr 06, 2013 Dee Cuadra rated it liked it
This will be a very brief review for a very brief book. Overall, I enjoyed reading this part of the series. It acted as a bridge of sorts for Beautiful Darkness and Beautiful Chaos. What I truly enjoyed about this book was that the story switched focus to the Lincubus. Link is a very entertaining character and he reminds me of people I know in the real world. What I did not care for about this book is that you can't fully appreciate the Lincubus because the story is told through the voice of Eth ...more
Bèbè ✦ the Ryski  ✦
Really wish this would have been told from Link's POV & not from highly emotional and power hungry Ethan... Would have been sooooo much better!

description

Colleen
Nov 16, 2012 Colleen rated it it was ok
Don't assume that I thought this book was bad because I've only given it 2 stars. It wasn't. It was just too short to be my definition of good.
I bought it for two resons. 1) it wss 49p and 2) I wanted to know about Link's transformation as I like the character.
It seemed that the transformation was glossed over though and half the page count was a teaser for Beautiiful Chaos.
It didn't feel like it had ended and I was left disappointed when I turned the page to see the story was over.
It very much
Paperback? 3 20 Jun 12, 2013 03:38AM
favorite character 2 12 Jan 27, 2012 04:19AM
release in UK 2 10 Aug 12, 2011 01:54PM
dream dark: what do you think will happen? 1 7 Jul 17, 2011 03:55AM
  • Glitter & Doom (Masque of the Red Death, #1.5)
  • Old Habits (Wicked Lovely, #2.6)
  • Shadow Days (Nightshade, #0.5)
  • Darkest Powers Bonus Pack 1 (Darkest Powers Trilogy 0.5, 1.5, 2.5)
  • A Dance with Darkness (Angelfire, #0.5)
  • Lost Scene from Hallowed (Unearthly, #2.1)
  • Lost Girls (Drake Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Tomorrow is Today (Tempest, #0.5)
  • Resist (Possession, #0.5)
  • All I Want for Christmas (The Demon Trappers, #0.4)
  • Foundation (Razorland, #0.5)
  • Turned at Dark (Shadow Falls, #0.5)
  • Hare Moon (The Forest of Hands and Teeth #0.1)
  • Undone (Unraveling, #1.5)
  • The Seeds of Wither (The Chemical Garden #1.5)
  • Daire Meets Ever (Soul Seekers, #0.5)
  • The Lost Letters of Brother Gabriel (The Dark Divine, #2.5)
  • Iron's Prophecy (The Iron Fey, #4.5)
Kami Garcia is the #1 New York Times & USA Today bestselling co-author of the Beautiful Creatures novels & the Dangerous Creatures novels, and the author of the instant New York Times bestseller & Bram Stoker Award nominated novels UNBREAKABLE & UNMARKED in the Legion Series. Her contemporary romance THE LOVELY RECKLESS releases on October 4th (Imprint/Macmillan).

Kami grew up outsi
More about Kami Garcia...

Caster Chronicles (4 books)
  • Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
  • Beautiful Chaos (Caster Chronicles, #3)
  • Beautiful Redemption (Caster Chronicles, #4)

“They both smiled—Link at the memory of all the pie in his past, Macon at the thought of all the pie in his future.” 3 likes
“So You’re Powerless Now, But You’re Going Out with One of the X-Men.” 1 likes