Start by marking “Het berenhuis” as Want to Read:
Het berenhuis

Het berenhuis

Although she sucks her thumb, smells bad, and loses herself in the make-believe world of the three bears' dollhouse, ten-year-old Fran knows how to take care of her baby sister better than anybody else.
Published 1975 by Querido (first published October 1st 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Het berenhuis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Het berenhuis

Katie
Feb 15, 2008 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was strangely obsessed with this book in elementary school
Alison
I borrowed this book from the library multiple times in elementary school. I don't recall why I loved this sad book so much, but it was one of my favorites from my early reading days.
Books Kids Like
Oct 06, 2013 Books Kids Like rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sachs-marilyn
After the birth of her last child, Mrs. Smith succumbs to depression and mental illness. One day, Mr. Smith leaves his wife and five children; the oldest child is twelve and the youngest is just a few months-old. Fran Ellen, a fourth-grader, finds solace in thumb-sucking and in the bear’s house at the back of Miss Thompson’s classroom. She takes her math book home so that she can be the first one finished each day. This gives her time to lose herself in the fantasy world of the three toy bears t ...more
Samantha
Feb 06, 2013 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in 3rd grade. It was my teachers book and a big deal for me. I love this book to this day. This book both made me fall in love with reading it also caused me to commit my first crime. I stole this book from my teacher because I loved it so much. I told her later on and she laughed. Amazing book. I recommend it to anyone:)
Jennifer Dudley
Sep 20, 2016 Jennifer Dudley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I found this on the shelf at my library and remember reading other books of her so I picked it up. WOW. Horribly sad, reminiscent of my elementary days being bullied, and dysfunctional family to boot. Quick read that I would recommend as a class read.
Myles
Jun 14, 2011 Myles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-stuff, toy-story, dcf
The titular Bears' House is a doll house built for Fran Ellen's teacher when she was a girl. It is lovingly described and Fran Ellen wants little more than to be able to finish assignments ahead of her classmates so that she may play with it. Her teacher is retiring though, and some classmate is going to take the Bears' House home at the end of the year. Fran Ellen isn't the smartest, isn't even well liked, so she wants to spend as much time as she can before one of the only bright points in her ...more
Miss Kitty
Oh good gravy, I'd forgotten how depressing this book was until I re-read it. That's not to say that the book isn't worth reading, because it completely is. While reading it in my late mid-thirties, I was struck by how well Sachs handles a child's perception of hard-core themes like ostracism, bullying, abandonment, and depression. The last few sentences are more sob-inducing than anything I've ever seen on the Lifetime or Hallmark channels and they won't even stimulate your gag reflex! I rememb ...more
Shannon
Jan 16, 2016 Shannon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Amazon Book Description:
Everyone in Miss Thompson's fourth grade class loves The Bears' House- Fran Ellen Smith most of all. When Fran Ellen goes into The Bears' House, she can forget about how awful things are at home. At the end of the term Miss Thompson is giving the house away to someone in the class. Fran Ellen knows it won't be her? How is she going to get along without a place to hide?"

Superb characterizations and uncommonly skilled writing draw the reader completely into the realities an
Elizabeth Rittenhouse
Apr 05, 2016 Elizabeth Rittenhouse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: final
Reader response theory- there is a transaction between the reader and the text. The text has things to offer and the reader has things to offer to the experience
don’t do traditional book reports/literal comprehension questions
Encourage natural response to literature (art, music, writing, etc.)
read TO them, read WITH them, have them read BY themselves
*Physical development
*Cognitive development
*Language development
*Moral development
Kids are black and white readers
*Personal development
*Provid
Michael Beblowski
Feb 02, 2013 Michael Beblowski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short novel about a young girl who detaches from the bleak conditions of her impoverished childhood, her social alienation and her clinically depressed mother who refuses to leave her bed, by imagining that she is safe and loved by the goldielocks doll and bear family in her teacher's dollhouse. There is an equally depressing sequel for anyone curious about what happens in the aftermath of "the Bear's House."
Hannah Beachy
I loved this book! Even though it is older, it is definitely still relevant today. This book deals with poverty and depression head on. The author tackles these deep issues with grace and in a way that young students can understand. The reader learns to love Fran Ellen and sympathize with her family through their struggle. We are able to see her internal struggle of having to be a caregiver while also still growing up herself. I would definitely use this book in my classroom!
Alexandra Mickey
This book was read to me in college at Indiana Wesleyan University as a read aloud. During our discussions we talked about Multiculturally critiquing books by diversity and range of representation, avoidance of stereotypes, language considerations, and perspective of the book. All were talked about and discussed in our classroom. This book would be a wonderful way to engage the class in a read aloud.
Amanda Funnell
My college education class read this book. As a future educator, I was heartbroken and lived in the story alongside FranEllen. Even so, I loved this book for me more so than I think I would for the sake of my students. If you are trying to introduce the reality of poverty and its effects to your students, though, this would be a marvelous way to do so.
Geebowie
I remember reading this book in school when i was in about 4 fourth grade. I do not recall my thought on it back then. As an adult reading now i thought it was okay. It was sad and maybe it should have been written for a slightly older readers because i thought it was too short and could have fleshed out the story more.
Sofia Fitzpatrick
This book broke my heart. It was told with such kindness and care. It's told by the point of view of Fran Ellen a girl with family problems, and she deals with these problems by escaping into the Bear house. The Bear house is kept at the back of the The Teacher's classroom. When Fran Ellen can, she goes and sits in front of the Bear house and.... she goes in.
Taryn
Apr 23, 2016 Taryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter-books
I would recommend having "The Bear's House" in any elementary library because it addresses many issues that students face. This book is also ideal for pre-service teachers as it shows what it takes to be a truly caring teacher that steps forward to help her students.
Tricia
sad story about a girl with a rough homelife who dreams away her time on the dollhouse at school. sad. sadder as an adult than when i read it at age 10.
Ashley
Apr 25, 2011 Ashley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bears, despressing, poor
Maybe a bit much for young children. Made me cry to hear about this poor girls life. I understand some kids may realate, but this book should be left up to the parents.
Moem
Mar 20, 2014 Moem rated it really liked it
Ik registreerde een boek op BookCrossing.com!
Emma Hofer
Poverty looks different to everyone. Hearing about it from the perspective of a young girl, who finds her escape in a "bear house", brings a new perspective on the situation. What a wonderful story!
Kristin Madden
Kristin Madden rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Robyn Markow
Robyn Markow rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2011
Tyler Alles
Tyler Alles rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2011
Christine
Christine rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2013
ABC
Jul 23, 2015 ABC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: older-kids
Depressing, sad, but a really good book. About child neglect.
Kendra Kinnan
Kendra Kinnan rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2011
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2011
Krista Dean
Krista Dean rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2012
Kyle Weener
Kyle Weener rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2012
Sydney
Sydney rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Half-a-Moon Inn
  • Wiplala Weer
  • A Blue-Eyed Daisy
  • My Daniel
  • Journey
  • Be a Perfect Person in Just Three Days!
  • Tantra: The Art of Conscious Loving
  • Uptown
  • A Room Made of Windows
  • The Wicked, Wicked Ladies in the Haunted House
  • Dolfje Weerwolfje
  • The Mystery of the Shrinking House (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #18)