What Every Mom Needs

What Every Mom Needs

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  17 reviews
When do you get time for you? Remember when you had a life of your own? The hectic job of being a mom is fraught with sacrifices, fears, and uncertainties. But nothing offers greater rewards or more opportunities to enrich yourself than raising your kids. What Every Mom Needs shows you how being a great mom and a person in your own right go hand-in-hand. Extensively revise...more
Published July 17th 2006 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published 1995)

Diane Morris
This book is disappointing. While it does go into what a mother needs (time to herself, understanding, and acknowledgement that motherhood is not a 'nothing' job) the answers provided are - despite the assurance that the book is useful to someone "Whatever your heritage or faith" - rather biblical. Further, at times they aren't even in the book but referenced in such a manner; ... and on truly difficult days, the answer can be found in Eph 2:5. Not helpful when the washing machine is overflowing...more
Allison
The book is really probably better than the 2 stars I'm giving it, but it just didn't speak to me. Maybe it was too girly. Or too cliche. Or maybe they made a lot of assumptions about the readers of their book that I just don't feel applies to me.
It assumes that if you have a part time job you are squeezing it in or if you have a full time job you are juggling it. (Not my experience at all.) It also assumes that all mothers have a "nagging feeling that you need to be better organized" (I think I...more
Callie
"Mothers of preschoolers overwhelmingly report that their greastest struggle is with loneliness, a feeling of being disconnected or isolated."

Intimacy means "into me see"

Stumbling blocks to intimacy:
I'm too tired to be friendly
I don't want to risk making a friend when one of us will probably move away.
I don't have time to be friendly.

Unlike marriage, the mark of the most mature friendship may be the open-handedness of sharing our friends with other friends.

When it comes to asking for help, most...more
Marina
It's not easy being a Mom. Yes it is very rewarding but there are days when you throw your hands up in despair....those down days. What Every Mom Needs is that book you should pick up to get things into perspective and help you learn that 'being a great Mom and a person in your own right go hand in hand'.

Basing this book on research studies and surveys, Elisa Morgan and Carol Kuykendall deal with six primary needs every Mommy has...

1. Identity- The 'I want to find "Me" again' need
2. Growth- Th...more
Julie
This was just the book I was looking for to remind me that the challenges of new moms are universal (not unique to me) and to do so in a faithful. Christian way.

This would be even better read with mom-friends or as part of a MOPS group, but I read it by myself, a little each night over several weeks and felt encouraged by the 6 chapters about moms' needs. I also found many titles in the recommended reading at the end of each chapter which look promising.

Next up: What Every Child Needs (by the s...more
Noelle
Great book for any mom
Amanda R
There are so many things that mothers of young children feel, things that sometimes I have wondered if I was the only one feeling them. Reading this book helped me see that some of the things I struggled with are indeed normal and there are some things I can do to get past them. This was a very good thing to read and one I will definitely pass on to other young moms to read.
Melia
Would like to have given it 3.5 stars if available. Some parts were very good and made you think. Enjoyed the questions at the end of each chapter. But, some parts seemed to be like a lot of other moms books out there, just worded differently.
Kristen
Loved it. My MOPS group in Florida did this as our curriculum for the year and I loved the discussions that came from the questions and the coordinating video series was fabulous!
Kelli
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I thought it was going to be a corny christian take on being a mom. But really, there were times it made me cry & laugh. It was very relatable.
Monica Albright
Used to be in MOPS, and I still enjoy reading their wise words...perhaps would have liked this more when the girls were younger...and I could have used it more like a workbook.
Christina
I loved this book. It made me realize some things I needed to about myself. I guess it helped to read this with my MOPS group because I just loved all our sessions together.
Christie
Our MOPS group is reading this as our study for the year. So far, it's ok, but typical of what you would expect for a mom-focused devotional.
Julie
Our MOPS group did this book. It is all things you hear over and over again, but it is nice to be reminded!
Michelle
Super good for giving you the words to say to that person who's asking you what they can do to help :))
Brandee
Feb 21, 2008 Brandee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Brandee by: Reading in my Mops group
Slow start, but getting better. Self assuring if you are a mother.
Heather
I enjoyed this book. Would read it again.
Beth
Sep 16, 2007 Beth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: moms
still reading it. moms will love this book.
Sarah Lewis
Sarah Lewis marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Lori Owens
Lori Owens marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Noura
Noura marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Tia
Tia marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Debby Gerth
Debby Gerth marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Hanna B
Hanna B marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Kellie Lynn
Kellie Lynn marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
FROM MOPS WEBSITE:
Since 1989, Elisa Morgan has served as the President and CEO of MOPS International, Inc. (Mothers of Preschoolers), a Denver-based non-profit organization dedicated to encouraging, equipping and developing every mother of preschoolers to realize her potential as a woman, mother and leader in the name of Jesus Christ.

In addition to her responsibilities as President and CEO of MOP...more
More about Elisa Morgan...
The Beauty of Broken: My Story, and Likely Yours Too She Did What She Could: Five Words of Jesus That Will Change Your Life Naked Fruit: Getting Honest about the Fruit of the Spirit Twinkle: Sharing Your Faith a Little Light at a Time What Every Child Needs: Meet Your Child's Nine Basic Needs for Love