Start by marking “The Grateful Undead: They're So Vein” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
The Grateful Undead: T...

Susan Stec

The Grateful Undead: They're So Vein (Grateful Undead #1)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Susan is 58-years-old and bored with life. Middle age is a daily drudge of sagging body parts and aches and pains. Her fervent prayer that she could somehow recapture her youth comes true one night during a chance encounter with a child-like vampire. As soon as the other women in her family see the transformation they waste no time in sticking their necks out, hoping Susan ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published April 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Grateful Undead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grateful Undead

Carlyle Clark
Susan Stec's THE UNGRATEFUL DEAD: THEY'RE SO VEIN, is a rip-snorting satire on all things vampiric and paranormal. If comedy lurks on the other side of any societal boundary, you can be certain Susan's characters will sashay across it without a backwards glance.

Rather than following the current convention of brooding immortals, Susan gives us a zany family of middle-aged and elderly women suddenly returned to the prime of their youth (albeit an undead youth), with the bonuses of being gorgeous v
DelSheree
All Susan wants is to get her phone over the bathroom stall wall so she can record the woman fighting with her seriously bratty child and post it on her website. One awkward fall later, and she lands herself in a mess of trouble. Becoming a vampire wasn’t quite what she meant she prayed for a more youthful body. To make things even worse, when her vain family members get a look at her new body they can’t wait to get a piece for themselves.

I mentioned in yesterday’s post how much I enjoyed the h
Suki Michelle
I took a chance on this novel because I really like Sookie Stackhouse and True Blood on HBO and I've already read all of Christopher Moore's stuff and this looked like it was something similar. I'm happy that I did because even though it doesn't have the "chills up the spine" moments of True Blood, it's incredibly funny and a great light page-turner. Really looking forward to the sequel!
Jeanne Bannon
Susan Stec's wrting is delightful, hilarious and very entertaining. This is a vampire/supernatural novel like you've never read before. It is unique and refreshing. The Grateful Undead is filled with wonderful characters that you'll wish you knew personally and will keep you wanting more. I, for one, am grateful she's writing a series as one book is simply not enough. I loved it!
Audra Middleton
The Grateful Undead By Susan Stec
I love the idea of a humor-based vampire series. Susan’s characters are a total crack-up and I truly enjoy the mad-cap adventures they get themselves into. Plus she’s got some sexy stuff in there too, so it’s a full-on entertainment package. If you don’t mind a little blood, sex, and swearing, you’re sure to enjoy this one.
Angela Fristoe
Read an advanced version of this book, and it was hilarious! The characters are a riot and shed an entirely new light on vampires. This promises to be great series!
Launi
Very funny take on vampires!! Any supernatural readers would love this book.
Melinda James
Funny beyond belief! I laughed from page one through the last page.
Shelana
Funny Book, can't wait for volume 2!
Livvie
I'm giving this one 2 and a half stars and going to try the next in the series to see if it gets better.

The biggest issues with this story: 1. Way to much use of foul language, I was starting to wonder if these people could have a conversation without dropping God and damn together. 2. It dragged quite a bit in places, making you feel like there was no forward progress. 3. I felt almost like I was reading a Lynsay Sands fanfiction with a few other popular vamp books thrown in, not because of the
Glenn Harris
This hilarious paranormal romp features a highly dysfunctional family of women who become vampires without a clue about what it really means or what the rules are. They just want to be immortal and hot. Suffice it to say they are not a welcome addition to the vampire community. First of a series and I'm looking forward to reading more.
BK Blue
I liked the premise better before I actually started reading it. Jesus Christ that family is annoying as hell. So are the rest of the characters. The whole book is them bitching at each other. I'm not kidding.

The grandmother had a couple funny lines and the one actual sex scene was hot. Those are the only reasons why this even got 3 stars. I thought the child vampire idea would be interesting, but even Christopher was annoying for most of the book.

I was disappointed with this book, and at mysel
Ruth Casey May
Humorous vampire story

I don't normally read vampire stories, but this one kept me laughing! Accidental vampires, rabid racoon, vampire squirrels, trolls,fairies in the garden, even a vampire gator . . . . a hilarious read!
Amy Gable
Amusing story. Looking forward to the next in the series
Michelle
20% complete: I expected humor but sadly this falls flat. So far the only thing I see are mature adults acting as adolescents.

47% done and all hope is lost! This book is like watching a rodent on a plastic wheel - it keeps going around and around without really going anywhere!

Sadly I have to advise - don't bother! I thought this had potential but it was not to be! I'm moving on to better things! :-)
Meggin
I received this through First Reads Giveaways. I found it to be quite funny. I love the new spin on vampires. I really enjoyed reading this book. I have read many vampire books and this series is on I will continue to follow. I have already purchased the next book in the series Gator Baitin' on my Nook. I hope hope there will be many more to come. I'm looking forward to it.
Ian McClellan
Jun 08, 2013 Ian McClellan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like to laugh and aren't all uppity
The characters in this book were great and reminded me of what my own very dysfunctional family would be like if we were all female and undead. A great story and a lot of humor that made me want to keep turning pages even when I couldn't. I was going to give it a four but went with a five because of all the awesome foul language.
I received this book from Good Read's First Reads.

It was AWFUL! I didn't make it through the first page. I did skim a bit through the rest and it looked like more of the same. The language was terrible, crass. I'd give it zero stars if possible. Avoid at all costs.
Tiffany

Eh not really loving this style
Angel
Angel marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Linda B
Linda B marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Brenda Seaberg
Brenda Seaberg marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Debbie Varrelman
Debbie Varrelman marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
bt
bt marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
  • Compact with the Devil
  • Nancy's Theory of Style
  • Endlessly (Endlessly, #1)
  • Out of Touch
  • Please Tell Me I'm on Mute
  • Good Girls
  • Haunted Honeymoon (Casa Dracula, #4)
  • These Hellish Happenings
  • The Vengeful Vampire (Serenity, #0)
  • Meg's Moment
  • Nerds Like It Hot (Nerds, #6)
  • My Beginning
  • Mr. Right For The Night
  • Hot Flash
  • Cut Through the Bone
  • Triple Crossing
  • Darkest Before Dawn (Throughout the Night #1)
  • Hot Property
I've always been weird, even as a child. Might've been influenced by all those fairies and trolls living in and around the streams behind Grandma's house. Today it probably has something to do with five crazy vamp-women, a fanged tyke, fairy, troll, werewolf, demon, and several sexy immortals living in my head.

In reality I live with my husband and my three King Charles Spaniels on 50 acres of wood
More about Susan Stec...

Grateful Undead (3 books)
  • Gator Baitin' (The Grateful Undead series #2)
  • Blood, Sweat and Demon Tears (The Grateful Undead series #3)
Dead Girls Never Shut Up Gator Baitin' (The Grateful Undead series #2) Blood, Sweat and Demon Tears (The Grateful Undead series #3) The Other F Word Mirror, Mirror. (Dark and Deadly, a novella series)