Start by marking “Dreamcatcher” as Want to Read:
Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  88,448 ratings  ·  1,360 reviews
Once upon a time, in the haunted city of Derry, four boys stood together and did a brave thing. It was something that changed them in ways they could never begin to understand.Twenty-five years after saving a Down's-syndrome kid from bullies, Beav, Henry, Pete, and Jonesy -- now men with separate lives and separate problems -- reunite in the woods of Maine for their annual ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published March 1st 2003 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published March 20th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Dreamcatcher, please sign up.

Teresa If you prefer reading it on a tablet like a kindle, you can get a free app called OverDrive that allows you to check out ebooks from your local…moreIf you prefer reading it on a tablet like a kindle, you can get a free app called OverDrive that allows you to check out ebooks from your local library (as long as you have a library card.) I love ebooks but usually prefer reading the actual book I can hold in my hand. Good luck!(less)
Teresa I may not be the best to answer this, but I like the majority of his work, whether it was written during his addiction or his sobriety. However I do…moreI may not be the best to answer this, but I like the majority of his work, whether it was written during his addiction or his sobriety. However I do think that some of his older work is a bit darker, which may be attributed to his addiction, setting as how addiction/alcoholism can cause depression.(less)

mark monday
so I had a dream last night where Graham and Brian and Steve and I were all back in Seattle, and it was like it was before, four friends who were different from each other but still really connected, like brothers, and we were having adventures and serious talks and stupid talks and good times and bad times and it was all just so sweet and real, like things had never changed. of course things change and these are still my friends, but change is change and so Brian and Steve still aren't talking ...more
Wendell
Let me say at the outset: I am a HUGE Stephen King fan, and I've read all the novels and short stories, as well as his rather wonderful books on writing.

Unfortunately, Dreamcatcher is a bloated, vacuous, dreadful piece of self-indulgence that mostly goes to show that King has apparently gotten so famous that no one dares edit him or tell him that he's written a bad book.

The pointless repetition in this door-stop of a novel is staggering beyond belief (and, ultimately, stultifying as well). King
Susan
This was an amazing book. Even though it took me 3 months to read it was worth it. Anyone who wants to read this book must be prepared for sleepless nights and illusions. Stephen King is a fantastic writer who uses such descriptions it makes you feel that right behind you there is an alien waiting to take your energy. Throughout this book I tried figuring out what the title meant and how it relates to the book. By the end I love how the last few pages are devoted to explaining things and making ...more
Peggy
I've got good news and bad news. The good news is, Dreamcatcher is not just a rehash of It. The bad news is it's a rehash of The Tommyknockers, too, which is perhaps my least favorite of all of King's works.

All right, maybe that's not quite fair. Dreamcatcher does involve aliens, a secret in the woods, and telepathy, but it's not exactly a carbon copy of The Tommyknockers. It re-uses pieces of many of King's works. There's the "adults who bonded as children and did a great thing" theme from It.
Becky
Whew... There's a lot that I want to say about this book, and I'm not really sure where to start. I first read this book back in... oh, 2002 or 2003, maybe, and I can absolutely say that I did NOT get much out of it. Sure, it's still a thrill ride, still entertaining, but it was definitely not his best, in my, somewhat oblivious opinion. But see... I was something of a King Re-reader back then. I had my favorites - 'The Stand', 'The Shining', 'The Talisman', 'Needful Things' - to name a few, and ...more
Jonathan Briggs
Ree-damn-diculous. Aliens bursting from butts. Frothing military maniacs. A Magic Retard (Stephen King's go-to character when the Magic Negro is busy). Ludicrous, labored faux-blue-collar dialogue. And farts. Constant, neverending, rancid, moist farts. This may be the stupidest book King has ever written, and that's saying something. And yet ... I kept thinking he was doing it on purpose, that he wrote this as a horror comedy, a la "Slither." King has written some godawful garbage in his career, ...more
Chris
Stephen King is truly gifted. In this book, he takes a cheesy overdone concept (alien/body snatchers) and makes it work.

This isn't the best King book, but it is far from being his worst. I didn't have hugely high expectations other than being able to chuckle everytime somebody said "shit weasels", but I was pleasantly surprised.

I saw the movie a few times, and while I enjoyed it, this wasn't something that should have won any Oscars. That lowered my expectations some.

I'm not a huge fan of alien-
Jason
Jun 20, 2008 Jason rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science fiction fans, thiller fans, Stephen King fans, alien invasion fans
Kandice
I've put off writing a review because Becky wrote the review to end all reviews and said it all! It's my resolution to review all the books I read this year so I have to make the attempt. Here goes...

I read this the week it first came out in 2001 because I always read his books as soon as they come out. At breakneck speed more often than not. I tend to re-read and savor the books later, but the first reading is like a "fix" I have been Jonesing for, so taking my time is not really an option. I w
Suzanne
So bad I wanted to burn my copy so that no one else would have to read it.

Seriously. Farts and creatures entering the world from a person's 'back door' do not a good horror novel make. The first time this happens in the book I actually laughed aloud.

Use the book as a paperweight, a doorstop, or a teething toy for your dog. Just don't bother trying to read it.
Mike (the Paladin)
Lots of gross outs and a narrow escape for human-kind. Another story I think could have been better.

My wife liked this book, I got into the bathroom fiction (literally) and asked myself why am I still reading this? King is a talented writer...but he's much to willing to go to the vulgar for my taste.

In a way it's a shame as the idea behind this one is very involving and I think would make an excellent novel...this just (for me) isn't it.

I am sorry as I know a lot of you love King and as I said m
Sasa
Trinaest godina nakon prvog citanja, ponovo sam uzivao u ovoj ludoj, mracnoj i neozbiljnoj knjizi.
Jer ovo jeste jedna neozbiljna knjiga, jedan Kingov hir, i uspesan pokusaj da se pozabavi temom vanzemaljaca.
Zbog cega je ljudi ozbiljno shvataju, nije mi jasno.
Real roller coaster alien ride, sa svim svojim manama i nedostacima, meni je pruzio jos jednom opustanje i sjajnu zabavu. 4/5
Stephen
2.0 to 2.5 stars. Not one of King's better efforts. One of the rare times in my life where I have actually enjoyed the movie more than the book.
Celine
3.5 Stars

Dreamcatcher is kind of an odd little ducky. At seven-hundred pages, it can hardly be called little, but in the oeuvre of Stephen King it hardly registers as a small blip. It's not well loved, but as per my usual reaction with King's books, I still found plenty of enjoyment in Dreamcatcher.

Five boys from Derry grow up to be four guys. They go on an annual hunting trip, but barely speak throughout the year. This year's trip is different - they see moving lights, get stuck in a terrible
Janelle Dazzlepants
Dude, what can I say other than this book is amazing. I read this years after having seen the movie, and its safe to say that theyre two completely different entities - the book is so much more multifaceted, and I was on the edge of my seat the whole way, trying to figure out what was going to happen.

This book is just so complex and fascinating, it seems as if it's all about aliens, but then there are elements of telepathy intertwined, which I havent seen done in this way before. I love that it
Harry Kane
This started as a 4-5 star book, with intense Lovecraftian situations of mysterious, or rather 'uncanny' and 'abhorrent' stuff going down in isolated woods in the middle of a snowstorm. Then, it quickly sorta became a Koontz book - think Strangers meets the Bad Place meets a weaker author like Scott Sigler. And without any Koontz-style descriptions too, which are the saving grace of so many of his books.
There are some typical King moments of telekinetic and delirium varieties, and the obligatory
Kasey
I am already on record as a lifetime admirer and eager reader of pretty much everything Stephen King writes. (Though I never could get into the Dark Tower series. Maybe I will have to give it another try once I run out of his other stuff.) Dreamcatcher is still a rippin' good yarn. But it picked up on tendencies I dislike and thought were largely restricted to his earlier works.

1) Scatology. I get that this book delves into the unconsciousnness of four high school boys. But I think it's lazy an
brianna
Look, I'm not a super "high-brow" literature dink. I know what I'm getting into when I pick up a King novel. Basically, I want to be entertained. And this particular book had a lot of farts and aliens busting out of people's assholes. I was super excited.

Until about, I don't know, somewhere around page 150 when King really starts to get into the history of Dudditz.

So basically, the 4 main shitdick protagonists who are all like, mildly psychic thirtysomething dudes going through boring crises in
Bark's Book Nonsense
I read this many years ago and because I couldn't remember any of the details I recently reread it again via unabridged audio.

Why I decided to put myself through this again is completely beyond me. This is most definitely one of my least favorite of King's longer winded books. It features four miserable middle aged friends who get together every year for a manly-man weekend spent drinking beer and shooting poor innocent beasts. When bad things happened to them I have to admit it made me a little
David Sarkies
Jan 25, 2015 David Sarkies rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Stephen King Fans
Recommended to David by: My Housemate
Shelves: horror
A rather substandard offering from a great writer
21 April 2012

This was probably the last Stephen King book that I read and that is probably because I found this book to be very disappointing. While my year 12 English teacher would rant and rave against people who read and wrote essays on Stephen King books I don't actually think that Stephen King, as an author, is all that bad. In fact King is quite a good and thought provoking writer, particularly with a lot of his earlier works. He has earned
Branwen *Blaidd Drwg*
"This shaking keeps me steady.
I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go."

(Theodore Roethke)

"As I was going up the stair
I met a man who wasn't there;
He wasn't there again today!
I wish, I wish he'd stay away."

(Hughes Meams)

Whoa. This book was a crazy spin ride of science fiction thrills and horrific chills. But really, would you expect anything less from Stephen King? ;) I was a little apprehensive about this o
Heather V
Nov 05, 2010 Heather V rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone I loathed
I'm a King fan, though I'll be the second to admit that he's had his fair share of misses amidst the hits. (I've met the man; he's definitely the first.) This one is, in my opinion, his biggest miss of all. The concept has promise, and it's territory he's visited before: A group of childhood friends stumble upon something strange and scary/amazing, and it follows them through to adulthood, at which point things go haywire. We've seen great stories from him using this basic theme in the past ("It ...more
Jess
I was pretty wary when I started this book. I read The Tommyknockers a few years back, and I felt kinda "meh" about it. I've never been big on "alien" stories. I've heard some people describe Dreamcatcher as a blend between The Tommyknockers and IT, and now having finished, I have to say that's a pretty accurate description. I was also a little nervous because I've heard people say that Stephen King's newer stuff just isn't up to par with his older classics like IT or The Shining.

I shouldn't ha
Cindy
Hmmm...it's not my favorite Stephen King novel but it was good. When the book was first published and the film came out, I was excited for both. Then, I watched the movie and thought, "Meh" and, as such, never read the book. Now, ten years later, I remembered, from the film, only a bathroom death scene, an alien in the woods, and a crazy man stuck in a room with files. It seemed appropriate, given the month, to read more suspense and of course King, being the master of suspense, came to mind and ...more
Art Griswold
A solid tale about aliens and friendship, the kind of friensdship that doesn't end just because people move away. When 4 young boys stand against the bads of the world and protect one who is unable to do so for himself they get powers. Wanna know what kind? Read the book.

Anyway, there are some seriously gross parts, but mostly this is a well thought out journey from boyhood to manhood and holding on to the ties that will bind us.
We've got a terrifying villian, I can still see him racing up the
Heather Bode
My feelings on this novel can be summed up by a shrug of the shoulders and non-committal "Eh."

Having recently read The Shining, I was somewhat disappointed with Dreamcatcher. The premise was certainly an intriguing one; I like the general idea that Stephen King had with this novel, I just think it was shoddy execution.

There were some thrilling and frightening moments, especially in the first half of the book, but the whole novel was unnecessarily long. There could have been more thrilling and fr
Sakura87
Alieni? Niente paura, sconfiggili col bacon!

La prima stesura del mio commento era di due sole parole, di cui la seconda un infinito presente il cui morfema lessicale molto in tema con il contenuto del libro.

La seconda, sempre in tema, è la seguente: usatelo come carta igienica.
E ve lo dice una grande fan di Stephen King.
L’unico pregio di questo libro è che le settecento pagine si fanno leggere in fretta.
Ira
I read the first 500 pages in one sitting while resting in the shade under my tank during OIF 1. The next 200 or so pages slowed way down (about equivalent of the crappy movie) and then the last few hundred went quicker. In the end, definitely recommend the book over the movie.
Adam Light
It is painfully hard for me to give any novel by King a three star rating, but this book started out so well and then degenerated into a sloppy mess. This was one of the few times I have been truely let down by my idol. Still, the first third was original and breath-taking.
Paul
This was a really good book that I enjoyed a lot mostly because of the authors creativity. Stephen King is known to be a little unusual and unorthadox and that is what attracted me to this book and his style. I would recommend for anyone.
2015 Reading Chal...: Dreamcatcher by Stephen King 1 12 Jan 17, 2015 06:21PM
Bomber Bests: Nick Manocchio 2 3 Dec 10, 2013 10:59AM
Just about 8 88 Sep 07, 2013 01:14AM
Stephen King Fans: Dreamcatcher 35 185 Mar 26, 2013 09:44PM
Stephen King Fans: This topic has been closed to new comments. Dreamcatcher (Spoiler Alert) 2 35 May 18, 2012 07:52AM
  • The Regulators
  • Night Visions 5
  • Hideaway
  • Mr. X
  • Nightshade
  • 48
More about Stephen King...
The Shining (The Shining #1) The Stand It Misery Carrie