Start by marking “The Lifeguard (Point Horror, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Lifeguard (Point Horror, #3)

The Lifeguard (Point Horror)

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  969 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
A summer of sun, sand and murder.

Kelsey's summer should have been paradise: An invitation to rich and famous Beverly Island, complete with sun-drenched beaches and three gorgeous lifeguards on duty. But Kelsey's summer is the opposite of paradise. It starts with the note under her pillow from a girl who's missing. Then there's the crazy man in the lighthouse who won't lea
Unknown Binding
Published August 8th 1996 by Scholastic (first published June 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Lifeguard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lifeguard

Wormwood by Isabella KrugerMoonsong by L.J. SmithHourglass by Claudia GrayThe Strange Power by L.J. SmithBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
Horrible Covers
34th out of 205 books — 230 voters
Remember Me by Christopher PikeBury Me Deep by Christopher PikeProm Dress by Lael LittkeTrick or Treat by Richie Tankersley CusickApril Fools by Richie Tankersley Cusick
1980's- early 90's Young Adult Fiction
25th out of 128 books — 83 voters

More lists with this book...

karen
Oct 24, 2010 karen rated it liked it
Shelves: teen-faves
this has nothing to do with this book, but i finally saw the video for it today (even though i swear i am doing homework and studying - i totally am), and it made me laugh, having always been a fan of the song. this book is also good, or it was when i was thirteen or so.

but enjoy this, please: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBRJ6j...
Sati Marie Frost
This is a truly odd book. It's one of the first Point Horrors I owned, back when I was 8 or 9, but I couldn't really get into it well back then. I know I read it - I can tell from the cover that it's been read a lot, LOL - but I didn't really remember it very well.

Richie Tankersley Cusick is an interesting writer. Her writing style is more subtle than some of the other Point Horror authors like Diane Hoh or R.L. Stine, perhaps a little more sophisticated, and as a result I think she probably app
BookCupid
Nov 25, 2014 BookCupid rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller, own
Nostalgia read.

Kelsey arrives on the island to meet her mother's boyfriend family. But she soon finds out that the youngest of his children has disappeared and is presumed drowned. With three handsome lifeguards surrounding her, Kelsey should be safe from the water, or is she???

I used to love reading these. Except this time around I found the plot didn't make much sense. There has to be clear motives for everyone's actions, particularly evil ones, and instalove is better left aside.
Trisha
Dec 14, 2011 Trisha rated it it was amazing
Alana ~ The Book Pimp
This was a 'back in the day' read... but you know what? It's STILL on my shelf. That says something right there! And this got the JLA stamp of approval as a book she loved growing up. Awesomesauce!
Rebecca McNutt
Apr 12, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was ok
I bought this book and unfortunately ended up liking the front cover (that wavy title font is SO cool!) more than the writing inside. It's not that the author didn't do a good job with her writing, it's more a matter of content. I've read several other YA mysteries that follow the exact same plot lines and ideas, and this book was easy to predict.
A.
Nov 04, 2007 A. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: girls, 8-18
I first read this Christopher Pike style book at some point in elementary school and have re-read it several times since. It's not the best written book and it's certainly not literary, but it's a fun novel with intriguing characters and I will likely read it several more times :). P.S. "Don't call for help. He may just kill you."
Melanie Cusick-Jones
Feb 15, 2014 Melanie Cusick-Jones rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-bg
Paul Kim
Jul 24, 2015 Paul Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: richie-cusick
Actual page number: 212 pages

Okay, the book's predictable, as in you can immediately pinpoint who's the killer's easily but the book does have some merits.

I enjoyed the writing. The writing was descriptive enough to give me picture of the setting is or makes it atmospheric and creepy. Sometimes, the writing seems intentionally as if it's to heighten the creepiness and sometimes it works!

There are a decent amount of suspenseful scenes that gives me a bit chills and some characters were likeable e
Felicity
Jul 24, 2011 Felicity rated it it was ok
I adored Point Horror books when I was about 12, and I came across 3 of them for 50 cents each I couldn't resist.
Lame; yes, but oh so much fun :)
April
Feb 15, 2009 April rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Read this in middle school, it was fairly good. I believe I read it in a day.
Georgina Merry
Aug 13, 2013 Georgina Merry rated it it was amazing
I read this book over and over as a teen. I loved it. I bought a copy recently, not only to reacquaint myself with RTC's work, but for research purposes. It's almost a different book, as the characters have taken on new appearances in my imagination. This is down to the author's ability to describe physical features in a non-restrictive manner.

Still, this book isn't without flaw. Am I the only one to notice that Justin' s eyes change from brown to blue throughout the course of the story? Having
Kaitlin
Mar 10, 2010 Kaitlin rated it liked it
This book was introduced to me by my history teacher. We have reading break and she decided to read this to the class. However, everytime she reads she always pauses and than starts her own story of her own life, which takes us longer to fnish the book. It took my class 3 months to finish the book. That's long for me! I can read a book in 2 hours or less! Anyway, I liked the plot of the story, how there was a serial killer on the loose. I knew it was one of the lifegaurds, and I guessed one of t ...more
Candice Mckinney
May 16, 2014 Candice Mckinney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kelsey and her Mom plan to spend the summer on an island visiting friends. Kelsey does not want to go since she has become afraid of the water after she almost drowned two years earlier. She should be having a wonderful time hanging around with the lifeguards on the beach but girls have been disappearing. There are some good twists and turns. A good light mystery.
PurplyCookie
Kelsey's summer should've been paradise: surrounded by the gorgeous beach and adorable lifeguards. Ominous things started happening, first with the appearance of a note under her pillow from a girl who's missing. Then there's the crazy man in the lighthouse who won't leave her alone. Lastly, the mounting number of disappearances and suspicious drownings in the area.

So many red herrings are thrown into this plot that it seems almost logical when the killer turns out to be the one man both Kelsey
Sorcered
May 14, 2014 Sorcered rated it liked it
"Teen horror" whodunit I read on the train today. As the title implies, this one is about beaches, drowned girls and a serial killer. More entertaining than expected, but don't go out of your way to read this one, there's better out there.
Kristy
May 11, 2014 Kristy rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this. I found myself getting thrown off by who was who amongst the male characters as they all seemed very similar. A lot of the dialogues between characters were silly. Not very creepy.
Lindsey
May 08, 2014 Lindsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!!

I finished this book in a day. I had no clue who the murder was. I kept changing my mind who I thought it was. Loved it!!
Sara
Apr 04, 2009 Sara rated it it was amazing
I appropriately read this book in the summertime while we were staying at a house on the beach for a vacation - and I believe I read the book in little more than one day. I loved horror books when I was younger, and I still remember this book vividly. Perhaps the plot might be more obvious now, but then again, maybe it wouldn't? It kept me guessing the entire time about who she could trust, and as it escalated, the tension kept building and building. It was next to impossible to set down!
Mariya Kamran
Jan 24, 2014 Mariya Kamran rated it really liked it
Liked it, sometimes summer can turn out to be opposit to what u planned
Suzanne
Jun 03, 2014 Suzanne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very much a "by the book" thriller.
Austin Antonides
Oct 20, 2011 Austin Antonides rated it liked it
Hillary
Sep 12, 2015 Hillary rated it liked it
This book was okay and it took a while to finish it
Ranata
Jun 21, 2008 Ranata rated it liked it
Shelves: teenage-reading
This was one of those books I read when I was like 13/14 and I remember being sick as a dog and onmy period and my sister bought me an assload of books from the library. I think this was one of them. I don't remember if I liked it but I probably did.
Nicole
Mar 26, 2015 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: own, ya
Re-read this book that I remembered loving as a kid. Well, let's just say that it is very clear that I am no longer the target demographic! Most of the plot didn't make much sense, and the character development was quite lacking.
Robyn Drummond
Jul 02, 2013 Robyn Drummond rated it really liked it
Brilliant. Unfortunately I could tell the ending. But since I've been reading these on and off forever it's about time I could tell what's gonna happen. But it is still a brilliant story!! I love the point horror series.
Patrick Ellard
Jul 18, 2012 Patrick Ellard rated it liked it
Shelves: point-horror
Serial killer story that is a little too predictable. It has some interesting characters and is well written but there is far too much teenage angst and a poor enough climax. An average entry in the Point Horror series.
angrykitty
Jul 23, 2008 angrykitty rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-teens
this was the first cusick book i read, and i remember enjoying it a lot. it was cheesy mind you, but fun. i remember that i was totally confused as to who the killer was, and that that made it awesome....
May 04, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it
I read this in junior high and loved it. Prior to the Harry Potter books, it was the only book that I'd read more than once.

I highly doubt I'd like it as much now but I'm sure it'd still be a fun read.
Erin E
Mar 27, 2013 Erin E rated it it was amazing
I changed my mind so many times of who the murderer would be and everything pllays out in the end. I absolutly couldn't put this book down!
  • Funhouse (Point Horror, #9)
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • Mother's Helper (Point Horror, #14)
  • The Cheerleader (Point Horror, #18)
  • The Phantom
  • Beach Party (Point Horror, #8)
  • Dream Date
Richie Tankersley Cusick is the bestselling young adult author of over 25 titles, including two adult horror titles, "Scarecrow" and "Blood Roots". Her popularity grew at the height of the horror/YA boom in the late 80's/early 90's, particularly with books like "Lifeguard" , "Trick or Treat" and "Teacher's Pet", just to name a few, allowing her to keep company on the bestseller paperback lists wit ...more
More about Richie Tankersley Cusick...

Point Horror (1 - 10 of 101 books)
  • Blind Date (Point Horror, #1)
  • Twisted (Point Horror, #2)
  • Prom Dress
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • The Baby-Sitter (The Baby-Sitter, #1; Point Horror, #5)
  • The Baby-Sitter II (Point Horror, #17)
  • The Babysitter IV (The Baby-Sitter #4)
  • Trick or Treat (Point Horror, #6)
  • April Fools (Point Horror, #7)
  • Beach Party (Point Horror, #8)