Start by marking “God on Mute: Engaging the Silence of Unanswered Prayer” as Want to Read:
God on Mute: Engaging the Silence of Unanswered Prayer

God on Mute: Engaging the Silence of Unanswered Prayer

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  221 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Pete Greig, the acclaimed author of "Red Moon Rising," has written his most intensely personal and honest account yet in "God on Mute," a book born out of his wife Samie's fight for her life and diagnosis of a debilitating brain tumor. Greig asks the timeless questions of what it means to suffer and to pray and to suffer through the silence because your prayers seem unansw ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Regal Books (first published March 8th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about God on Mute, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God on Mute

Vicky Saunders
Great book, really helps you to understand and feel clearer on your own understanding of why sometimes prayers go unaswered for some time. Also on the popular misjudgement of those who assume that without an immediate answer there is something wrong with you.
John Fudge
I have met Pete a few times and been impressed by his depth of insight, and read The Vision and the Vow, laughed at the naked lift episode and wondered if he had anything to say on unanswered prayer - a mystery to many air head charismatic evangelicals like myself.

I have found him (up to page 215 in 3 days) riveting on this subject.

In particular the summaries at the end of each chapter will make it possible to quickly re-read the elements of the book that have been most helpful.

If you or a frie
Frank Peters
The book is all about dealing with unanswered Prayer. Pete Greig, as one of the founders of the 24-7 prayer movement has seen and experienced God answering many prayers in exciting ways. Yet at the same time, the prayer that he would most like to have answered has not. There are obvious parallels with the Apostle and his thorn-in-the-flesh. The book is especially good in that Greig does not provide those suffocating answers that are all too common. Rather he deals with unanswered prayer from a n ...more
Roberta
I really enjoyed the vulnerability of the author and his candid way of describing just how hard unanswered prayer can be. In my own life I have been dealing with unanswered prayer for over 3 years. You do wonder where is God and how can He leave me this way for so long?

I loved how he used Jesus journey from Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday, and eventually Easter Sunday to contrast our own suffering and loneliness that can accompany unanswered prayer. The part of the book that really
Jon
It’s difficult to review a book without giving too much away as this was a very good book and one I would recommend everyone to read, where having experienced unanswered prayer or not. For me there were some great truths expressed in the book, those truths coming from scripture, and even the fact that Jesus himself experienced unanswered prayer.
This book gives 16 suggestions to why prayers can be, or can feel, unanswered and again without giving too much away these suggestions range from inconse
David 'Wavey' Cowpar
Pete uses the story of his wife's illness to teach about prayer and what happens when it seems God is silent.

Like "Red Moon Rising" this book is an amazing read. It is full of emotion and questions and answers and uses the outline of Easter week wonderfully. I had never thought about the Saturday between Good Friday and Easter Sunday, and what that day must have been like for the disciples, until reading this book.
Karyn Wolstenholme
I feel fortunate to not have suffered much in my life so far. I've seen important friends and family members suffer and I'm sure I will have moments of deeply painful unanswered prayers.

This book was beyond moving it spoke truth in a conversation usually saturated with Christian platitudes and mumbo jumbo. This book seriously changed my life and will hopefully help me through tough times and help understand how God can still "be" in the silent moments. So thankful for this book and the author f
Gordon
This is the second of Pete Grieg's books I have read and to my surprise I enjoyed this one more than Red Moon Rising (which was very good) It is amazing to me how at this time in my life this book has come along and God spoken so clearly to me through it. It's a very honest book, which does suggest some answers to the dilema of unanswered prayer, but also enters into the frustration of it. He opens up his onw and that of his wifes situation and reveals his own ongoing struggles, its not a book t ...more
Naomi
I read this book at the right time in my life. I'll definitely read it again and use the study guide in the back to help facilitate some deeper thinking with it. The book flowed really well and addressed the key issues with unanswered prayer and the silence of God. This is a subject that is completely glossed over in churches today and it's a subject that needs to be addressed. What a needed and refreshing book on such a core problem. I personally felt comforted reading the book and finally foun ...more
Jenny Elizabeth
God on Mute is perhaps the most poignant and relevant book I have read since Captivating, and perhaps even moreso. Grieg sensitively intertwines stories, both personal and historical, with theology and wisdom, historical to contemporary. He takes inspiration from hymns, poems, literature and contemporary music to grab at the soul-wrenching dilemma of God's silence in our pain.

I anticipate that this book is one I will return to frequently throughout my life, with joy and the sometimes flinching
Rick Killian
This is not a formulaic book that makes excuses for unanswered prayer. It is honest, personal (his wife deals with epileptic fits and other challenges they pray about throughout the book), and unflinching. Pete Greig is a man who believes prayer is still one of the most important, if still quite mysterious, things we can do in chasing after God and wanting to know Him.

Reading this book will help you come to prayer more honestly, and—believe it or not—with greater confidence, determination, and
This is one of my absolute favorite books, I have read it through several times. It very honestly looks at the disappointments that come in life, discusses why that may be (if there can even be a reason), and helps the reader to engage and be proactive. This is not a traditional self-help, inspirational, book (though I find it does help and inspire me), this is a 'man, life can be really horrible, and sometimes it appears that God just ignores us, what the heck?' book.
Catherine
My friend in Cornwall is reading this for her Bible Study. I was so intrigued by the first meeting that I went to their house and downloaded the book. I read it in a week. It is a great book that talks about why God allows prayers to go unanswered. The author references a few of my faith heroes including Corrie Ten Boom and C.S. Lewis. It was a very readable book that made me think. Not my typical vacation read, but one that I am glad to have found.
Karen
This is a very special book. If you want to make sense of everyday Christian life and prayer, then you must read this book. There is a great deal of common sense contained within these pages. Within days of reading it, a vicar friend who was visiting us in France was hooked on it. I would like to study it with our house group.
Jeremiah
This book takes an honest look at what do you do when you pray and don't get an answer? I have given away every copy I buy, even had a copy I took to Ethiopia and ended up leaving that one there as well. This is a behind the scenes look at honest reflections of life from the author of Red Moon Rising's Pete Greig.
Phil
This is not only the best book on prayer that I've read (of which, admittedly, there are not many) - it is also the most helpful & encouraging teaching on prayer I've received in any form. I may be the world's worst pray-er, but if anything can change that, I'm hopeful that this book can.
Rebecca Dunning
Pete Greig is so vulnerable in this book that it takes you by surprise. I read this at a time in my life that was extremely difficult and got a lot of hope and perspective from it. It is brilliantly written.
James B
Perfect timing... just the right book at just the right time in my life.
I appreciate the connection between heart experience and head knowledge on the topic of prayer and 'unanswered' prayer.

Jackie Hayter
This book answers so many questions about prayer. Woven in between the chapters, is Pete's own personal life and prayer experience. A real good read for anybody who prays!
יצור
Apr 21, 2008 יצור rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This really dwells into the heart and stuggle of prayer and there is alot of depth as far as the content, not a detailed review, but an amazing book.
Dora
A good overview covering a variable of theological reasons for "unanswered" prayer.
Allison
Made me think and cry. I'm recommending this book to everyone.
Baylor Heath
Baylor Heath marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Scott
Scott added it
Nov 03, 2014
Rachael Shadbolt
Rachael Shadbolt is currently reading it
Oct 30, 2014
Michelle
Michelle is currently reading it
Oct 18, 2014
  • Dawkins' God: Genes, Memes, and the Meaning of Life
  • Meditations with Meister Eckhart
  • Leap Over a Wall: Earthy Spirituality for Everyday Christians
  • An Unstoppable Force: Daring to Become the Church God Had in Mind
Red Moon Rising: How 24-7 Prayer Is Awakening a Generation The Vision And The Vow: Re-Discovering Life and Grace Punk Monk: New Monasticism and the Ancient Art of Breathing The 24 7 Prayer Manual (Includes Free Cd Rom) Awakening Cry