Start by marking “God on Mute: Engaging the Silence of Unanswered Prayer” as Want to Read:
God on Mute: Engaging the Silence of Unanswered Prayer

God on Mute: Engaging the Silence of Unanswered Prayer

4.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  296 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Pete Greig, the acclaimed author of "Red Moon Rising," has written his most intensely personal and honest account yet in "God on Mute," a book born out of his wife Samie's fight for her life and diagnosis of a debilitating brain tumor. Greig asks the timeless questions of what it means to suffer and to pray and to suffer through the silence because your prayers seem unansw ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Regal Books (first published March 8th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about God on Mute, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God on Mute

John Fudge
Aug 29, 2015 John Fudge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have met Pete a few times and been impressed by his depth of insight, and read The Vision and the Vow, laughed at the naked lift episode and wondered if he had anything to say on unanswered prayer - a mystery to many air head charismatic evangelicals like myself.

I have found him riveting on this subject.

In particular the summaries at the end of each chapter will make it possible to quickly re-read the elements of the book that have been most helpful.

If you or a friend are confused about unans
Barrett
Feb 02, 2015 Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
A dear friend at work recommended this book. I absolutely loved the first half, and couldn't put the book down. The second half kept me engaged, but left me less inspired. Overall, absolutely worth the time. This book gave me plenty to think and ponder about. Put it on your list!
Vicky Saunders
Apr 22, 2012 Vicky Saunders rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, really helps you to understand and feel clearer on your own understanding of why sometimes prayers go unaswered for some time. Also on the popular misjudgement of those who assume that without an immediate answer there is something wrong with you.
Frank Peters
Jul 26, 2011 Frank Peters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is all about dealing with unanswered Prayer. Pete Greig, as one of the founders of the 24-7 prayer movement has seen and experienced God answering many prayers in exciting ways. Yet at the same time, the prayer that he would most like to have answered has not. There are obvious parallels with the Apostle and his thorn-in-the-flesh. The book is especially good in that Greig does not provide those suffocating answers that are all too common. Rather he deals with unanswered prayer from a n ...more
Roberta
Sep 03, 2010 Roberta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the vulnerability of the author and his candid way of describing just how hard unanswered prayer can be. In my own life I have been dealing with unanswered prayer for over 3 years. You do wonder where is God and how can He leave me this way for so long?

I loved how he used Jesus journey from Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday, and eventually Easter Sunday to contrast our own suffering and loneliness that can accompany unanswered prayer. The part of the book that really
Kristina
Jul 08, 2015 Kristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a book about unanswered prayer and with that, it is really a book about how to deal with the suffering that life inevitably brings. The author shares a lot of his own personal story of dealing with his wife's illness, and that makes the book even more powerful. He has no easy answers but gives perspective and hope. The book is an easy read in some sense (style of writing) but difficult in another sense (subject matter). I'm glad I read it.
Jon
Mar 21, 2012 Jon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s difficult to review a book without giving too much away as this was a very good book and one I would recommend everyone to read, where having experienced unanswered prayer or not. For me there were some great truths expressed in the book, those truths coming from scripture, and even the fact that Jesus himself experienced unanswered prayer.
This book gives 16 suggestions to why prayers can be, or can feel, unanswered and again without giving too much away these suggestions range from inconse
David 'Wavey' Cowpar
Pete uses the story of his wife's illness to teach about prayer and what happens when it seems God is silent.

Like "Red Moon Rising" this book is an amazing read. It is full of emotion and questions and answers and uses the outline of Easter week wonderfully. I had never thought about the Saturday between Good Friday and Easter Sunday, and what that day must have been like for the disciples, until reading this book.
Ruth
Feb 17, 2015 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant! This is probably the best book I have ever read on the subject of prayer, it is a masterpiece. It looks at the many reasons why God does not always answer prayer. It is honest, moving and thought provoking, eg. Jesus promises 'you will have trouble' (John 16 v 33) but not many people stick that verse on the fridge! Everyone who prayer should read this book as it give insight into how not to pray.
Barbara
Feb 04, 2016 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book on unanswered prayer I've ever read. I cannot recommend it highly enough. It is clear, concise, and approachable. Thank you so much, Pete Greig, for your insights. May God continue to bless your ministry.
Karyn Wolstenholme
I feel fortunate to not have suffered much in my life so far. I've seen important friends and family members suffer and I'm sure I will have moments of deeply painful unanswered prayers.

This book was beyond moving it spoke truth in a conversation usually saturated with Christian platitudes and mumbo jumbo. This book seriously changed my life and will hopefully help me through tough times and help understand how God can still "be" in the silent moments. So thankful for this book and the author f
Gordon
Aug 24, 2010 Gordon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second of Pete Grieg's books I have read and to my surprise I enjoyed this one more than Red Moon Rising (which was very good) It is amazing to me how at this time in my life this book has come along and God spoken so clearly to me through it. It's a very honest book, which does suggest some answers to the dilema of unanswered prayer, but also enters into the frustration of it. He opens up his onw and that of his wifes situation and reveals his own ongoing struggles, its not a book t ...more
Jo Inglis
Jan 23, 2016 Jo Inglis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
Deep, readable, vulnerable & hopeful. Not formulaic in attempting to answer the mystery of unanswered prayer. It's my 2nd reading and I think it's a great book to return to over again at different stages of life.
And I could not believe when I shared a passage from the book at music group this week most of them had never heard of it!!
Leonel Tang
absolutely good book. makes you think of several reasons as why God is silent when we pray
Naomi
Jul 27, 2011 Naomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book at the right time in my life. I'll definitely read it again and use the study guide in the back to help facilitate some deeper thinking with it. The book flowed really well and addressed the key issues with unanswered prayer and the silence of God. This is a subject that is completely glossed over in churches today and it's a subject that needs to be addressed. What a needed and refreshing book on such a core problem. I personally felt comforted reading the book and finally foun ...more
Jenny Elizabeth
Dec 13, 2011 Jenny Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
God on Mute is perhaps the most poignant and relevant book I have read since Captivating, and perhaps even moreso. Grieg sensitively intertwines stories, both personal and historical, with theology and wisdom, historical to contemporary. He takes inspiration from hymns, poems, literature and contemporary music to grab at the soul-wrenching dilemma of God's silence in our pain.

I anticipate that this book is one I will return to frequently throughout my life, with joy and the sometimes flinching
Rick Killian
Dec 19, 2013 Rick Killian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not a formulaic book that makes excuses for unanswered prayer. It is honest, personal (his wife deals with epileptic fits and other challenges they pray about throughout the book), and unflinching. Pete Greig is a man who believes prayer is still one of the most important, if still quite mysterious, things we can do in chasing after God and wanting to know Him.

Reading this book will help you come to prayer more honestly, and—believe it or not—with greater confidence, determination, and
Diann
Mar 21, 2015 Diann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting
Jul 09, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own
This is one of my absolute favorite books, I have read it through several times. It very honestly looks at the disappointments that come in life, discusses why that may be (if there can even be a reason), and helps the reader to engage and be proactive. This is not a traditional self-help, inspirational, book (though I find it does help and inspire me), this is a 'man, life can be really horrible, and sometimes it appears that God just ignores us, what the heck?' book.
Catherine
Jul 08, 2012 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My friend in Cornwall is reading this for her Bible Study. I was so intrigued by the first meeting that I went to their house and downloaded the book. I read it in a week. It is a great book that talks about why God allows prayers to go unanswered. The author references a few of my faith heroes including Corrie Ten Boom and C.S. Lewis. It was a very readable book that made me think. Not my typical vacation read, but one that I am glad to have found.
Karen
Sep 07, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
This is a very special book. If you want to make sense of everyday Christian life and prayer, then you must read this book. There is a great deal of common sense contained within these pages. Within days of reading it, a vicar friend who was visiting us in France was hooked on it. I would like to study it with our house group.
Jeremiah
Mar 04, 2011 Jeremiah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book takes an honest look at what do you do when you pray and don't get an answer? I have given away every copy I buy, even had a copy I took to Ethiopia and ended up leaving that one there as well. This is a behind the scenes look at honest reflections of life from the author of Red Moon Rising's Pete Greig.
Phil
Jan 27, 2013 Phil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not only the best book on prayer that I've read (of which, admittedly, there are not many) - it is also the most helpful & encouraging teaching on prayer I've received in any form. I may be the world's worst pray-er, but if anything can change that, I'm hopeful that this book can.
David
Nov 29, 2015 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book. Very different from many that you will read on the subject of prayer. Deep yet readable, beautifully honest, profound because it is almost organically formed through tears and trials and praise and relationship. A book to engage with and keep returning to.
Rebecca Dunning
Mar 17, 2010 Rebecca Dunning rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pete Greig is so vulnerable in this book that it takes you by surprise. I read this at a time in my life that was extremely difficult and got a lot of hope and perspective from it. It is brilliantly written.
James B
Oct 31, 2010 James B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect timing... just the right book at just the right time in my life.
I appreciate the connection between heart experience and head knowledge on the topic of prayer and 'unanswered' prayer.

Jackie Hayter
This book answers so many questions about prayer. Woven in between the chapters, is Pete's own personal life and prayer experience. A real good read for anybody who prays!
יצור
Apr 21, 2008 יצור rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This really dwells into the heart and stuggle of prayer and there is alot of depth as far as the content, not a detailed review, but an amazing book.
Dora
Apr 05, 2011 Dora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good overview covering a variable of theological reasons for "unanswered" prayer.
Allison
Aug 19, 2008 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Made me think and cry. I'm recommending this book to everyone.
Online Book Club: Book Reviews 1 6 Jun 24, 2011 10:05AM
  • Naked Spirituality A Life With God in Twelve Simple Words
  • Foolishness to the Greeks: The Gospel and Western Culture
  • Finding the Will of God: A Pagan Notion?
  • What Happens When Women Pray
  • Faith and Reason: Searching for a Rational Faith
  • The Coherence of Theism
  • The Father Heart of God: God Loves You, Learn to Know His Compassionate Touch
  • Belief in God in an Age of Science
  • Things Unseen: Living in Light of Forever
  • Meditations with Meister Eckhart
  • Questions of Life: Alpha Course
  • Revolution of Character: Discovering Christ's Pattern for Spiritual Transformation
  • Dawkins' God: Genes, Memes, and the Meaning of Life
  • The Orthodox Heretic And Other Impossible Tales
  • Selling Water by the River: A Book about the Life Jesus Promised and the Religion That Gets in the Way
  • Under the Unpredictable Plant an Exploration in Vocational Holiness (The Pastoral series, #3)
  • Perfecting Ourselves to Death: The Pursuit Of Excellence And The Perils Of Perfectionism
  • A Community Called Atonement

“God’s great aim has always been, and will forever be, relationship with us. Sometimes, He may deprive us of something in order to draw us to Someone. And when we reciprocate—when we decide that we want Him more than we want His stuff—the most amazing thing happens. We are rewired and our requests are either altered as we grow to know and to prefer what He wants for us, or they are simply answered because, in seeking first the kingdom of God, “all these things” are given to us as well (Matt 6:33).” 0 likes
“I asked for strength that I might achieve; He made me weak that I might obey. I asked for health that I might do greater things; I was given grace that I might do better things. I asked for riches that I might be happy; I was given poverty that I might be wise. I asked for power that I might have the praise of men; I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God. I asked for all things that I might enjoy life; I was given life that I might enjoy all things. I received nothing that I asked for, all that I hoped for. My prayer was answered, I was most blessed.” 0 likes