Start by marking “People of the Nightland (North America's Forgotten Past, #14)” as Want to Read:
People of the Nightland (North America's Forgotten Past, #14)

People of the Nightland (North America's Forgotten Past #14)

It has been a thousand years since Wolf Dreamer lead his people up through the dark hole in the ice to a rich, untouched continent bursting with game. But the world has changed. Most of the magnificent animals are gone, and the last of the great glaciers is melting, forming a huge freshwater lake in the middle of the world. Over the centuries the People of the Wolf have ...more
Published March 20th 2007 by Forge Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about People of the Nightland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about People of the Nightland

The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. AuelThe Valley of Horses by Jean M. AuelThe Mammoth Hunters by Jean M. AuelThe Plains of Passage by Jean M. AuelThe Shelters of Stone by Jean M. Auel
Best Pre-History Fiction
63rd out of 160 books — 273 voters
Enter the 5th Realm by Patricia O'GradyThe Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. AuelKey Holder of the Realms by Patricia O'GradyThe Gunslinger by Stephen KingPeople of the Wolf by W. Michael Gear
The best book series, Part 2
41st out of 132 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Katie Rhodig
Feb 09, 2014 Katie Rhodig rated it it was amazing
People of the Nightland tells the story of what happened to Wolf Dreamer and hose he led through the hole in the ice. Their descendents’ story is told here. The Gears once again have Raven Hunter and his twin, Wolf Dreamer at odds with one another. They vie for the souls and beliefs of those people. Split into 2 different groups known as the Sunpath peoples and the Nightland peoples, each group follows one of the brothers. Those who read this story get a glimpse of how Paleolithic North America ...more
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
The world is falling apart, all is out of balance.Men grasp for power using spiritual leaders as their unknowing puppets. Religious wars have broken out... there is genocide. "Lebensraum" is the excuse. It is a time of great change and nothing, after this , will ever be the same again.
Sound familiar?
One of the great disappointments in my life is that I will never know... the past is a closed country and the answers to all my questions have dissolved into the wind. Historical fiction at least giv
J.M. Northup
Jan 19, 2016 J.M. Northup rated it it was amazing
Engaging, vivid, and intelligent story!
I loved this book! The amazing detail of the story and the environment were mesmerizing! I could understand how the people came about living in the ice caves, but the whole idea freaked me out. I was fascinated by the comparison of those who chose to live in the ice, finding safety there, and those of the Sun Path, who were probably more in line with my thinking - that there was nothing soothing or safe about the ice honeycombs! The whole story is so believ
Chad
Aug 22, 2012 Chad rated it liked it
Initially this book was difficult to get into because I had trouble keeping track of all the characters (three of their names started w/ a K and were all three syllables). I also couldn't remember who belonged to which clan. After about the 100th page everything started to sink in and it became a more enjoyable read. Nightland is a perfect example of why I never give up on a book after the first few chapters.
Mariano
Aug 13, 2012 Mariano rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written. Engaging characters. I can't say anything bad about this page-turner. I simply love the metaphors and overall use of language in this series. I couldn't put the book down. I've read some of them in english. Others in spanish, and I cannot help falling in love with the characters and the storyline. Great tale of war, sorrow and love. I learned a lot about the paleoindians and the specific period of time during which the story takes place. Two thumbs up!
Sophia Musgrave
Mar 04, 2009 Sophia Musgrave rated it did not like it
This book was creepy. I did not like the darkness in it, literally it was one of the most disturbing books I have ever read. But overall it flowed well and had a good plot but the subject matter left a lot to be desired. Especially the main character the Prophet for the Nightland people, he was really creepy.
Tasneem
This was a super premise but the language wasn't so good so I didn't finish the book. I read about 1/3 into the book, the afterwards, and then skimmed the plot. Such a pity that they go into a bit too much make-believe and distort the super concept.
Betsy
Feb 03, 2010 Betsy rated it really liked it
Shelves: prehistoric
Plot was difficult to follow.
Melissa
Apr 13, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it
This book took me forever to get through. It was just so hard to get into. And although by the end I found it easier to read, the initial struggle was a bit much to get over. Seeing as how this is the fourteenth book in the series, I've already done my share of trudging through books this year (although this can be read as a stand-alone).

Where before Ti-Bish was an outcast, now he is a Guide. Raven Hunter, the Nightland people's God has given him a vision. He is to lead the people back through
Theresa
Apr 03, 2016 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
People of the Nightland
by W. Michael Gear & Kathleen O'neal Gear
The scab lands are a geological mystery, but the events that created this phenomenal area are not out of the scope of human history. This story confronts how prehistorically man dealt with and understood events of glacial melt, and how it affected the people that lived in the area.
The story of light and dark and opposites crossed makes a dynamic backdrop to the human conflict with in the book.
Two people have emerged from the a
Tina Cipolla
Sep 29, 2015 Tina Cipolla rated it liked it
I really enjoyed People of the Nightland. It was better than the first book People of the Wolf. This series is not great literature, but I think of it as informative-fiction. These authors are creating fictional stories out of real events. In the case of People of the Nightland, the actual event is one of the repeated catastrophic floods associated with the melting of the ice retaining wall that held Lake Agassiz in place, and they do a good job with it.

I'm planning to read this series in chron
Liz Oneill
This was a reread, but just as suspenseful as the first time. 20,000 years ago glaciers covered most of Canada and parts of the United States including Vermont. The story takes place 13,000 years ago when the global warming began. A great melt water lake had developed in Canada & the states near Minnesota. In this adventure of the PaleoIndians they are trying to understand what is going on. Some believe they need to go back under the ice that their ancestors in People of the Wolf had crossed ...more
Kolisd
Jan 31, 2009 Kolisd rated it really liked it
Possibly because my father was a cultural anthropologist and archaeologist and I have early memories of accompanying him on digs, this book was fascinating to me. Focusing on early North Americans inhabiting the Michigan area their struggles for survival are woven with the mystical lore that guided them. I want to read the sequel, People of the Weeping Eye but it is always checked out at the library!!
Patricia Casablanca
Good read

This one is a little slow in the beginning, but it gets better as one gets more into t h e story. I've read almost all the books in this series. People of the Nightland is a good story as well as educational. Every time I read these books I learn more and understand better what it's trying to say. Keep up the good work!
Allison
Jun 03, 2009 Allison rated it liked it
Took a while to get going. With this series, you get a few different types of stories. Romance, war, mystery, some are a combo but this was mostly war. the first 2 thirds of the book were battles and strategy and whatnot. finally some of the spiritual magick started to show up as well as starting to feel connected to the characters. It was worth the read just had to stick with it at first.
Julie
Jun 21, 2016 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I swear, every one of these books I read gets better than the last. Sudden global warming 13,000 years ago results in a huge and sudden flood wiping out an entire way of life. Forces of power prepare for the change...or do they? The struggle for power puts the world out of balance, and only a few will survive.
Fredrick Danysh
Oct 17, 2014 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it
The People of the Wolf have split into two separate groups, on in the ice and one further south in a land of sunshine. A young boy has has a vision from the Wolf Dreamer warning that the world will change. The young orphan with the help of a girl and a tired war chief have to convince the people to take action.
Amy
Aug 20, 2007 Amy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: history lovers
Shelves: 2007-books
Paleo-Indian historical fiction. This is a continuation of the Wolf People series. This book followed tribes around Lake Erie at the end of the ice age. It depicts how many of the people were lost as the glaciers broke up and created a huge flood that covered much of Ohio and more. It had a good mystery, lots of magic and likable characters.
Sharon Lucas
Mar 07, 2008 Sharon Lucas rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Native American history and Archeology.
This is the latest in the North American People series. I have all the books in the series so far. The series is about the Prehistoric Peoples that inhabit different regions of North America. The authors use archeological information and Native American beliefs and history to create fascinating stories.
Billy Dominguez
Sep 01, 2014 Billy Dominguez rated it it was amazing
Greatly written! Among my top favorite books of the series. Nomadic peoples' culture, war, hostages, dreamers, icebergs, an unexpected love match, superbly written plot twists and turns; all taking place alongside a natural disaster.
Sandra
Oct 15, 2008 Sandra rated it really liked it
This is one of the First North Americans series.
The newest title is People of Weeping Eye.
This series uses history, fiction and archeology in relating the Native Cultures established throughout the United States.
Raine Raine
Jul 16, 2015 Raine Raine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
INCREDIBLE

I do love these stories and historical information -- the author is truly amazing to bring such wonderful stories to us that touch our hearts and we long for more. Thank you for this incredible adventure!
Keith
Jun 26, 2008 Keith rated it really liked it
I admit it; I'm hooked. This is one of the most recent in a long series and I’ve read several of them but regardless of the formula approach to the characters and the criticism of them lacking literary merit, I’m always entertained and enthralled until the last page. More please!
Dutchfarmeress
May 17, 2014 Dutchfarmeress rated it it was amazing
I just love the entire People series. It's so nice to visualize how the First People lived. Although after 13 or so books, some of the plots resemble, there is always something new. Like in this one, the warming of the climate.
Isaura
Mar 05, 2008 Isaura rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
For those who are interested in Native American historical fiction, this is set around 11,0000 years ago. A good piece of fiction based on archeological findings, and basic human nature, both good and bad.
Kristin Smale-forrester
Apr 24, 2016 Kristin Smale-forrester rated it really liked it
Love the characters! Beautiful love stories but inter-woven into such a great plot that I would never say this was a romance novel!
The Gears know their archaeology and make a wonderful story about Prehistory & what could of been!
Beth
Jul 13, 2011 Beth rated it it was ok
I was disapointed. Too much war and too little description about culture of the time. Perhaps I just couldn't get farther into it than the 1st third to find less was and more culture. Will give the book away.
Kawai
Mar 25, 2008 Kawai rated it liked it
Not quite good, but enjoyable. In the watered down Clan of the Cave Bear genre. (And 10,000 times better than 10,000BC which was aweful!)
V
Apr 03, 2008 V rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Very insightful book on the pre-American history and the culture that may have been during the Ice age times. Good sequel to the series.
Staci
Jun 17, 2008 Staci rated it really liked it
big fan of this series, if you like Indians and want to learn more about the prehistoric times with storylines that are interwoven with modern day then you may like this.
  • People of the Thunder (Moundville Duology #2; North America's Forgotten Past #16)
  • Thunder in the Sky (The First Americans, #6)
  • Let the Drum Speak (Kwani, #3)
  • My Sister the Moon
  • The Reindeer Hunters (Reindeer Hunters, #3)
W. Michael Gear was born in Colorado Springs, Colorado, on the twentieth of May, 1955. A fourth generation Colorado native, his family had been involved in hard-rock mining, cattle ranching, and journalism. After his father's death in 1959, Michael's mother received her Master's degree in journalism and began teaching. In 1962 she married Joseph J. Cook, who taught tool and die making, and the ...more
More about W. Michael Gear...

North America's Forgotten Past (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • People of the Wolf (North America's Forgotten Past, #1)
  • People of the Fire (North America's Forgotten Past, #2)
  • People of the Earth (North America's Forgotten Past, #3)
  • People of the River (North America's Forgotten Past, #4)
  • People of the Sea (North America's Forgotten Past, #5)
  • People of the Lakes (North America's Forgotten Past, #6)
  • People of the Lightning (North America's Forgotten Past, #7)
  • People of the Silence (North America's Forgotten Past, #8)
  • People of the Mist (North America's Forgotten Past, #9)
  • People of the Masks (North America's Forgotten Past, #10)