Start by marking “La Tartine Gourmande: Gluten-Free Recipes for an Inspired Life” as Want to Read:
La Tartine Gourmande: Gluten-Free Recipes for an Inspired Life

La Tartine Gourmande: Gluten-Free Recipes for an Inspired Life

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  338 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
What could be sweeter than a life with friendship and food at its center? For Béatrice Peltre, author of the award-winning blog LaTartineGourmande.com, to cook is to delight in the best of what life has to offer—the people and places we love. Welcome to a world where flavors are collected as souvenirs and shared as heirlooms, and where the dishes we create are expressions ...more
Published February 7th 2012 by Roost Books

To ask other readers questions about La Tartine Gourmande, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Tartine Gourmande

Sher
Jul 03, 2012 Sher rated it it was amazing
Book 41 2012 Reading Challenge. I took two months to savor this cookbook, and I enjoyed every bite! Oops, I mean page. :)
My mother, who is a wonderful cook, looked through this book and told me she "didn't like it." "I wouldn't make anything in there." I think mom missed the point. Beatrice Peltre is French and her cooking has a heavy French influence (though she now lives in the US with her husband and young daughter) - for example the book is filled with tarts and dishes most beautifully prese
Anna
I have made many of the recipes in this book and have yet to be disappointed. I didn't think there was a baker hiding inside of me, much less a gluten-free baker, but Ms. Peltre's wonderful book has teased one out of me. My favorites are the banana, chocolate and hazelnut muffins and the brown butter pistachio and poppy seed financiers. Of the salty recipes, I adore the Tartine with walnut, lemon and ricotta pesto and sauteed mushrooms and the eggplant, lamb and winter squash crumble. This last ...more
Kristin
Apr 28, 2012 Kristin rated it liked it
*Note: I haven't tested any of these recipes yet*

This book unleashed my not-so-inner Francophile! I was immediately attracted to this book because of the gorgeous cover and I was not disappointed. My mouth watered as Peltre described the inspiration behind her recipes and the enticing food photography made each dish leap off the page. Cookbooks with a strong narrative voice and insightful details take them beyond mere recipes. Combined with the delectable photographs, La Tartine Gourmande was a
Darren
May 17, 2012 Darren rated it it was amazing
If you buy this book, you might want to save it until you have a little bit of quality time on your hands. You will be all the richer for it.

Here the reader is taken on a semi-romantic, whimsical first-person tour back to the author's childhood in France in order to understand a little about her enthusiasm for all matters culinary. Sometimes such portraits tend to appear quite desperate, quite self-justifying in nature and rather playing to the "I am, I am" tendency of the author. Yet, cleverly,
Mugga
Apr 17, 2013 Mugga rated it liked it
Peltre's blog by the same name full of gorgeous photographs of food and travel piqued my interest about her cookbook. I read it cover to cover before attempting any recipes (lying on the couch and reading a cookbook is one of my favorite pastimes).

I found the tone a little annoying. Peltre doesn't hesitate to tell you she's French in every section of the book. She also will use the French word followed by the English translation to a silly degree (like really? does taboulé mean tabouli in Engl
Erin
May 25, 2012 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbookery
Beatrice Peltre grew up in the countryside of France. Her family had a garden and they ate seasonally and cooked every meal. She is now a photography, food blogger/writer, and food stylist living in Boston.

This is a beautiful cookbook. Stunning photos and great recipes. The stories at the beginning of each chapter are nice and it helps the reader understand how she approaches cooking.

I only gave it 3 stars because there recipes looked great but most seemed a little out of my reach as far as wh
Lisa
Not only is this a gorgeous book, the book deserves high marks for the coherence of the directions,the variety of the recipes and the lusciousness of the food. I have yet to hit a recipe that wasn't divine. I thought the biggest challenge would be locating the different types of flours that many of the recipes call for, but for the most part this has not been a problem. I did not find the author's voice as appealing as Childs's, Dorie Greenspan's or David Tanis's, but still her style is not with ...more
Mary
Feb 04, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
REally eclectic selection of recipes with many, many I've never encountered. But, most aren't so strange that I wouldn't attempt them. Many are simple salads, snacks, sandwiches. The cookbook is gluten free but because most recipes do not require wheat flour this isn't really an issue. Ingredients tend to be fresh and simple but in complex combinations.
Judie Parks
Nov 03, 2013 Judie Parks rated it it was amazing
What a delightful surprise! I bought this cookbook from the name and cover and has no idea it would contain Gluten Free recipes. I have made the Lemon Buttermilk Quinoa Cakes and the Chocolate Banana Hazelnut Muffins and both were excellent in flavor as well as texture and they matched the photo perfectly!! I can't wait to make more recipes.
Eling
Mar 17, 2015 Eling rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Very pretty and charming, but I found the author's stories & message a little more appealing than the actual specific recipes contained in the book. Still, quite charming and full of lovely styling & photographs (with *almost* one for each recipe!).
Lisa
Mar 18, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
I've only read through this book so far and the photos are as charming and wonderful as I expected. Delightful, really.

I am giving this 4 stars right now, but will update this once I cook from it more. I made the millet, apple, oat muffins and loved them, as did both kids! These muffins are gluten-free and use millet flour, quinoa flour, shredded apples, and a few other ingredients. I'm really loving cooking with alternative flours so I have a feeling that I'm going to really enjoy cooking with
Suzanne
Jan 25, 2016 Suzanne rated it liked it
What a beautifully styled book- I would like to curl up and live in it. Many of the recipes sound delicious, even though I am a vegetarian and would not eat many of them, there are more recipes that are veggie-friendly than not.
Karyn
Mar 06, 2016 Karyn rated it liked it
Super pretty cookbook.
Emily Crow
Jul 07, 2015 Emily Crow rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I ordered this book based on my love of the author's absolutely stunning blog. As expected, the photos are just gorgeous, and the food looks delicious. I would be happy to eat any of it if someone were volunteering to cook. For myself, though, most of the recipes look a bit too fancy or fussy to picture myself actually making; I suspect Peltre loves cooking a bit more than I do. Also, I didn't realize there was such an emphasis on baking, and while I enjoy cooking from time to time, I am emphati ...more
Elizabeth B
Aug 23, 2011 Elizabeth B rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous, gorgeous book. Recipes seem more difficult than those I’m used to but the use of fresh, local ingredients makes me want to try them all. A balance between fancy delicacies and simple market mainstays, this book is sure to please both the gourmet and the creative family cook. A good addition to any library collection as it will easily appeal to both urban foodies and rural folks looking to try new ways things with their fresh local vegetables.

ARC Galley Proof
Liloubrun
Apr 10, 2013 Liloubrun rated it it was amazing
I love Beatrice, I love her blog, her pictures, her stories, her recipes.I love her book too! I like read it sometimes, just the stories she told about her childhood on the French countryside or about her life around the world. She has a very personnal voice. For me it's more than an cookbook but an source of inspiration for cooking.
Sylvia
Dec 19, 2012 Sylvia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-cookbooks
Wow. The photographs in this cookbook are stunning. Just stunning! You may know Béatrice from her blog by the same name, La Tartine Gourmande. This cookbook is such a treat to see, flip through it and you'll get it. Everything Béatrice has captured for us to see is just charming, bright, and fresh.
Anna
May 20, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
This is my new go to book for cooking. It's also my dream about cooking cookbook. And, my I think I'd like to be cheerful for a few minutes book. The recipes, the color in this book elevates the mood. I mean it. Pure pleasure. And there are about 20 things I want to try and am trying.
Cheryl
Jun 24, 2012 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
One of my newest, but destined to be favorites. Lovely read, beautiful photography, and i want to make my way through every recipe. As an added advantage the author cooks gluten free by choice, so a huge plus not having to convert recipes.
Leabelle
Oct 20, 2012 Leabelle rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book by an inspired and creative food writer. The illustrations are styled beautifully and the recipes, thus far, are delicious. I love the way Peltre weaves her family life, farm and kitchen through the text and illustration.
Lindsay
Jan 07, 2013 Lindsay rated it really liked it
A very pleasant read, if you like her blog, you'll like this book. I like that she cooks gluten free just because she likes the more interesting, nutritious flours. I didn't actually cook from it, just enjoyed the reading experience.
Jenni Finlay
Dec 26, 2013 Jenni Finlay rated it really liked it
I'm a cookbook lover in general, but this is one of my new favorites...featuring feel-good food that is easy to make and impressive to serve, the stories and photos keeps this cookbook bouncing between my kitchen counter and nightstand.
Barbara
Jun 30, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Cooks and those who think about cooking
Recommended to Barbara by: NY Times summer Reading :-)
Shelves:
What a beautiful book. The author shares her personal views of cooking and raising a family. The photos are spectacular and make me want to cook and bake. Unusual ingredients broaden horizons for old standards.
Natashya KitchenPuppies
Feb 14, 2012 Natashya KitchenPuppies rated it it was amazing
Stunning photography and naturally gluten-free and inspiring recipes.
See my full review here - http://livinginthekitchenwithpuppies....
Catherine
Each recipe section starts with a a few pages of memoir-type prose. Charming and very French. Many recipes that sound delicious and nutritious, using a lot of healthy ingredients.
Emily
Sep 13, 2012 Emily rated it liked it
I enjoyed her writing more than the recipes (she has some specific dietary restrictions I don't share), but it was beautifully photographed and written.
Beth
Apr 12, 2014 Beth rated it really liked it
This cookbook is a work of art. Gorgeous photos. Perfectly balanced recipes. Memoir type narrative throughout. I didn't want the book to end.
Melissa
Apr 12, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
If you're vegan/vegetarian, there won't be many recipes that you can use, but oh my god, is this a gorgeous book. The photography is just stunning!
Anne
Jun 17, 2012 Anne rated it it was amazing
Gorgious photography, wonderful food memories, and fantastic recipes combining simplicity and elegance. A book that radiates love!
Tina
Feb 01, 2012 Tina marked it as to-read
I want to check out this book for the photos along. Peltre's blog is full of mouth-watering photographs taken by her of her food creations.
  • Small Plates and Sweet Treats: My Family's Journey to Gluten-Free Cooking, from the Creator of Cannelle et Vanille
  • Vintage Cakes: Timeless Recipes for Cupcakes, Flips, Rolls, Layer, Angel, Bundt, Chiffon, and Icebox Cakes for Today's Sweet Tooth
  • A Boat, a Whale & a Walrus: Menus and Stories
  • The Sprouted Kitchen: A Tastier Take on Whole Foods
  • My Pizza: The Easy No-Knead Way to Make Spectacular Pizza at Home
  • The Kitchn Cookbook: Recipes, Kitchens & Tips to Inspire Your Cooking
  • My New Roots: Inspired Plant-Based Recipes for Every Season
  • The Beekman 1802 Heirloom Dessert Cookbook: 100 Delicious Heritage Recipes from the Farm and Garden
  • What Katie Ate: Recipes and Other Bits & Pieces
  • The Little Paris Kitchen
  • Japanese Farm Food
  • Baked Elements: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients
  • Canal House Cooks Every Day
  • Very Fond of Food: A Year in Recipes
  • Roots: The Definitive Compendium with more than 225 Recipes
  • The French Market Cookbook: Vegetarian Recipes from My Parisian Kitchen
  • My Sweet Mexico: Recipes for Authentic Pastries, Breads, Candies, Beverages, and Frozen Treats
  • The Mozza Cookbook: Recipes from Los Angeles's Favorite Italian Restaurant and Pizzeria