Start by marking “La Tartine Gourmande: Gluten-Free Recipes for an Inspired Life” as Want to Read:
La Tartine Gourmande: Gluten-Free Recipes for an Inspired Life

La Tartine Gourmande: Gluten-Free Recipes for an Inspired Life

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  212 ratings  ·  32 reviews
What could be sweeter than a life with friendship and food at its center? For Béatrice Peltre, author of the award-winning blog LaTartineGourmande.com, to cook is to delight in the best of what life has to offer—the people and places we love. Welcome to a world where flavors are collected as souvenirs and shared as heirlooms, and where the dishes we create are expressions ...more
Published February 7th 2012 by Roost Books

To ask other readers questions about La Tartine Gourmande, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Tartine Gourmande

Sher
Book 41 2012 Reading Challenge. I took two months to savor this cookbook, and I enjoyed every bite! Oops, I mean page. :)
My mother, who is a wonderful cook, looked through this book and told me she "didn't like it." "I wouldn't make anything in there." I think mom missed the point. Beatrice Peltre is French and her cooking has a heavy French influence (though she now lives in the US with her husband and young daughter) - for example the book is filled with tarts and dishes most beautifully prese
Darren
If you buy this book, you might want to save it until you have a little bit of quality time on your hands. You will be all the richer for it.

Here the reader is taken on a semi-romantic, whimsical first-person tour back to the author's childhood in France in order to understand a little about her enthusiasm for all matters culinary. Sometimes such portraits tend to appear quite desperate, quite self-justifying in nature and rather playing to the "I am, I am" tendency of the author. Yet, cleverly,
Anna
I have made many of the recipes in this book and have yet to be disappointed. I didn't think there was a baker hiding inside of me, much less a gluten-free baker, but Ms. Peltre's wonderful book has teased one out of me. My favorites are the banana, chocolate and hazelnut muffins and the brown butter pistachio and poppy seed financiers. Of the salty recipes, I adore the Tartine with walnut, lemon and ricotta pesto and sauteed mushrooms and the eggplant, lamb and winter squash crumble. This last ...more
Kristin
*Note: I haven't tested any of these recipes yet*

This book unleashed my not-so-inner Francophile! I was immediately attracted to this book because of the gorgeous cover and I was not disappointed. My mouth watered as Peltre described the inspiration behind her recipes and the enticing food photography made each dish leap off the page. Cookbooks with a strong narrative voice and insightful details take them beyond mere recipes. Combined with the delectable photographs, La Tartine Gourmande was a
Mugga
Peltre's blog by the same name full of gorgeous photographs of food and travel piqued my interest about her cookbook. I read it cover to cover before attempting any recipes (lying on the couch and reading a cookbook is one of my favorite pastimes).

I found the tone a little annoying. Peltre doesn't hesitate to tell you she's French in every section of the book. She also will use the French word followed by the English translation to a silly degree (like really? does taboulé mean tabouli in Engl
Lisa
Mar 18, 2012 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
I've only read through this book so far and the photos are as charming and wonderful as I expected. Delightful, really.

I am giving this 4 stars right now, but will update this once I cook from it more. I made the millet, apple, oat muffins and loved them, as did both kids! These muffins are gluten-free and use millet flour, quinoa flour, shredded apples, and a few other ingredients. I'm really loving cooking with alternative flours so I have a feeling that I'm going to really enjoy cooking with
Erin
Beatrice Peltre grew up in the countryside of France. Her family had a garden and they ate seasonally and cooked every meal. She is now a photography, food blogger/writer, and food stylist living in Boston.

This is a beautiful cookbook. Stunning photos and great recipes. The stories at the beginning of each chapter are nice and it helps the reader understand how she approaches cooking.

I only gave it 3 stars because there recipes looked great but most seemed a little out of my reach as far as wh
Lisa
Not only is this a gorgeous book, the book deserves high marks for the coherence of the directions,the variety of the recipes and the lusciousness of the food. I have yet to hit a recipe that wasn't divine. I thought the biggest challenge would be locating the different types of flours that many of the recipes call for, but for the most part this has not been a problem. I did not find the author's voice as appealing as Childs's, Dorie Greenspan's or David Tanis's, but still her style is not with ...more
Elizabeth B
Gorgeous, gorgeous book. Recipes seem more difficult than those I’m used to but the use of fresh, local ingredients makes me want to try them all. A balance between fancy delicacies and simple market mainstays, this book is sure to please both the gourmet and the creative family cook. A good addition to any library collection as it will easily appeal to both urban foodies and rural folks looking to try new ways things with their fresh local vegetables.

ARC Galley Proof
Judie Parks
What a delightful surprise! I bought this cookbook from the name and cover and has no idea it would contain Gluten Free recipes. I have made the Lemon Buttermilk Quinoa Cakes and the Chocolate Banana Hazelnut Muffins and both were excellent in flavor as well as texture and they matched the photo perfectly!! I can't wait to make more recipes.
Liloubrun
I love Beatrice, I love her blog, her pictures, her stories, her recipes.I love her book too! I like read it sometimes, just the stories she told about her childhood on the French countryside or about her life around the world. She has a very personnal voice. For me it's more than an cookbook but an source of inspiration for cooking.
Sylvia
Wow. The photographs in this cookbook are stunning. Just stunning! You may know Béatrice from her blog by the same name, La Tartine Gourmande. This cookbook is such a treat to see, flip through it and you'll get it. Everything Béatrice has captured for us to see is just charming, bright, and fresh.
Anna
This is my new go to book for cooking. It's also my dream about cooking cookbook. And, my I think I'd like to be cheerful for a few minutes book. The recipes, the color in this book elevates the mood. I mean it. Pure pleasure. And there are about 20 things I want to try and am trying.
Cheryl
One of my newest, but destined to be favorites. Lovely read, beautiful photography, and i want to make my way through every recipe. As an added advantage the author cooks gluten free by choice, so a huge plus not having to convert recipes.
Leabelle
This is a beautiful book by an inspired and creative food writer. The illustrations are styled beautifully and the recipes, thus far, are delicious. I love the way Peltre weaves her family life, farm and kitchen through the text and illustration.
Lindsay
A very pleasant read, if you like her blog, you'll like this book. I like that she cooks gluten free just because she likes the more interesting, nutritious flours. I didn't actually cook from it, just enjoyed the reading experience.
Jenni Finlay
I'm a cookbook lover in general, but this is one of my new favorites...featuring feel-good food that is easy to make and impressive to serve, the stories and photos keeps this cookbook bouncing between my kitchen counter and nightstand.
Barbara
Jun 30, 2012 Barbara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Cooks and those who think about cooking
Recommended to Barbara by: NY Times summer Reading :-)
What a beautiful book. The author shares her personal views of cooking and raising a family. The photos are spectacular and make me want to cook and bake. Unusual ingredients broaden horizons for old standards.
Natashya KitchenPuppies
Stunning photography and naturally gluten-free and inspiring recipes.
See my full review here - http://livinginthekitchenwithpuppies....
Catherine
Each recipe section starts with a a few pages of memoir-type prose. Charming and very French. Many recipes that sound delicious and nutritious, using a lot of healthy ingredients.
Emily
I enjoyed her writing more than the recipes (she has some specific dietary restrictions I don't share), but it was beautifully photographed and written.
Beth
This cookbook is a work of art. Gorgeous photos. Perfectly balanced recipes. Memoir type narrative throughout. I didn't want the book to end.
Mo Tipton
If you're vegan/vegetarian, there won't be many recipes that you can use, but oh my god, is this a gorgeous book. The photography is just stunning!
Anne
Gorgious photography, wonderful food memories, and fantastic recipes combining simplicity and elegance. A book that radiates love!
Tina
Feb 01, 2012 Tina marked it as to-read
I want to check out this book for the photos along. Peltre's blog is full of mouth-watering photographs taken by her of her food creations.
Beka
Incredible photos, delicious looking recipes (g-free), and sweet memories. I would eat just about anything in this book.
Debbie
Finished this ages ago and forgot to update ... a fabulous cookbook, but her blog is just as good, so start there!
hannah
Oct 20, 2011 hannah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
Done with the reading. Now to try the recipes. Review will be up on my new blog closer to pub date.
Sara
Full of text didn't like the layout on ipad ibooks
Cindy Toy
Beautifully written, gorgeous pictures, and gluten free!!
  • Small Plates and Sweet Treats: My Family's Journey to Gluten-Free Cooking, from the Creator of Cannelle et Vanille
  • The Sprouted Kitchen: A Tastier Take on Whole Foods
  • The Little Paris Kitchen
  • The French Market Cookbook: Vegetarian Recipes from My Parisian Kitchen
  • Alice's Tea Cup: Delectable Recipes for Scones, Cakes, Sandwiches, and More from New York's Most Whimsical Tea Spot
  • The Beekman 1802 Heirloom Dessert Cookbook: 100 Delicious Heritage Recipes from the Farm and Garden
  • Baked Elements: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients
  • What Katie Ate: Recipes and Other Bits & Pieces
  • Superfood Kitchen: Cooking with Nature's Most Amazing Foods
  • Vintage Cakes: Timeless Recipes for Cupcakes, Flips, Rolls, Layer, Angel, Bundt, Chiffon, and Icebox Cakes for Today's Sweet Tooth
  • Breakfast, Lunch, Tea
  • Ripe: A Fresh, Colorful Approach to Fruits and Vegetables
  • Joy the Baker Cookbook: 100 Simple and Comforting Recipes
  • The Food52 Cookbook: 140 Winning Recipes from Exceptional Home Cooks
  • Tender: Volume I: A Cook and His Vegetable Patch
  • Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours
  • Nigellissima: Instant Italian Inspiration
  • A Southerly Course: Recipes and Stories from Close to Home
La Tartine Gourmande: Gluten-Free Recipes for an Inspired Life Gingerbread: Timeless Recipes for Cakes, Cookies, Dessers, Ice Cream, and Candy Gingerbread