Start by marking “Among the Dead” as Want to Read:
Among the Dead

Among the Dead

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A black comedy of love and loss in L.A., from the acclaimed author and screenwriter of The Player. In his first novel, Tolkin explored the emotional geography of a soulless Hollywood executive. Now, he raises the stakes in a new novel that asks the question: What if the executive had a conscience?
Published April 1st 1993 by William Morrow & Company (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Among the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Among the Dead

Rick Urban
This is the kind of dark, dark comedy that I love, the kind that makes people give me strange looks and ask what's wrong with me. As far as I'm concerned, "Among the Dead" ranks right up there with Fay Weldon's "The Life and Loves of a She-Devil" as one of the great comic novels of moral degradation and its many indignities. Frank Gale is an absolute snake who is plotting how to reveal his infidelities to his wife in order to minimize the damage to himself and maximize his personal happiness. Th ...more
Rachael Hewison
I honestly do not know why this book was ever published. It is one of the worst books I have ever read. Deceived by a very interesting blurb, I purchased it from my local charity shop. Now I know why it was there.
None of the characters are likeable and I immediately detested the main character. He was an extremely disturbing man, who is unemotional at the deaths of his family. Instead of grieving he is more concerned with his ailing career and the outward persona he creates. There is also one ot
Christine Palau
I'm guessing that many people start this book because of the synopsis, thinking this would be a cathartic companion piece to something schmaltzy like THE DESCENDANTS (to be fair, I only saw the movie). Those people must hate AMONG THE DEAD.

If there was even an inkling of sentimentality here it went down with the plane. The set-up is seemingly simple: LA man cheats on wife, but decides he wants to work on marriage, and calls off his affair; he writes a letter to wife explaining that he cheated, b
Jeff Gillenkirk
I seem to be on a roll with biting, satirical novel (see review of "Erasure").

This is a brilliant study of a man-in-decline, with interior monologues that singe the soul. Tolkin is the author of "The Player" and writer/director of the close-to-the-bone film, "The Rapture." Protagonist Frank Gale misses a flight that his wife and 3-year-old daughter are on, because he lingered too long over his last lunch with his mistress. When the flight from LA to Mexico crashes in San Diego, Frank Gale's psy
Joanne
Mar 06, 2009 Joanne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like black humor
Recommended to Joanne by: Dick Estell, the Radio Reader
A man who has been cheating on his wife loses her and his young daughter in a plane crash. Hilarious hijinks ensue, along with labyrinthine journeys through the narrator's mind as he explores alternate pasts and futures that reveal him to be a pathetic loser with low self-esteem, or maybe just human. I've read this one about three times; it's perhaps not the most realistic portrayal of grief and loss, but it's hysterical if you can handle it.
Moira
Harrowing and bleak and ugly. Also, funny as hell. I found it comforting (or, more accurately, "comforting") to read so accurate a depiction of my own uncontrollable thoughts of what-if, maybe-if-I-had, and if-only during crisis.
Sarah-Violet
I don't know if I should finish this book because I don't like it, but would like to know where it's going. Often I find myself rolling my eyes and thinking the author clearly hasn't experienced any tragedy like the one he writes about.
Cary Morton
Cary Morton marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Tabitha Martinez
Tabitha Martinez marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Cormac
Cormac marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Anniek
Anniek marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Sean Stevens
Sean Stevens marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Gijs
Gijs marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Catgirl (in Perth)
Catgirl (in Perth) marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Jerry Kohler
Jerry Kohler marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Lora
Lora added it
Oct 22, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
B
B marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Michael Tolkin is an American filmmaker and novelist. He has written numerous screenplays, including The Player (1992), which he adapted from his 1988 book by the same name, and for which he received the 1993 Edgar Award for Best Motion Picture Screenplay. A follow-up book, Return of the Player, was published in 2006.

Tolkin was born in New York City, New York, the son of Edith, a studio executive,
More about Michael Tolkin...
The Player The Return of the Player The Player, The Rapture, The New Age: Three Screenplays Under Radar The Player, Vol. 2