The Rough Guide to New York City

The Rough Guide to New York City

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  9 reviews
"The Rough Guide to New York City" covers all sights and attractions and has color photos throughout to illustrate the city's great buildings, iconic landmarks, and distinctive neighborhoods. Up-to-date listings, detailed maps, and extensive practical information ensure you make the most of your time in the city.

The introduction to "The Rough Guide to New York City" gives...more
Published January 30th 2012 by Rough Guides Limited (first published March 1st 1994)

Alan
pretty handy guide, useful for the maps which took me (plus wife and kids of course) to the Dakota Buildings and Moma and everywhere else. Also useful for finding bars, eg The Delancey which my 20 something daughters liked - we went up on the rooftop bar - they said the drinks were mixed very strong (i drank Brooklyn lager). A good potted history of new York too at the back.
David
I don't remember why I decided on the Rough Guide instead of Lonely Planet or another one, but this ended up being a decent guide book.

When I moved to New York I intended to be a perpetual tourist and to use this book pretty often, but I think I actually only ended up using it to look up phone numbers for museums and landmarks. I ended up working and hanging out with the roommates when I got to New York and by the time I got around to seeing the city on my own I didn't really need a book anymore...more
Charliee' (Ohana means family)
Jun 19, 2014 Charliee' (Ohana means family) rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People wanting to go to New York
I picked this up at the last minute, I have been planning this huge road trip to the USA for years now. And I wanted to find some of the best places in New York to see/eat/etc.

I found that this guide wasn't as helpful as some of the other guides I have recently looked at. Although, I did note down the list of '18 Things Not to Miss in New York'
Pinky
This is great to read before taking a trip to NYC to get an idea of what to visit and what to avoid. I wish I had taken this with instead of Let's Go, because that really caters to students looking to travel on the cheap, and I was looking for a really authentic visit. Because I had read this guide, though, I was able to recognize a lot more.
Philip Hollenback
Visiting or moving to NYC? You should read this book. Excellent suggestions and reviews of things to do and places to say. This edition is a little outdated so pick up a newer one.

I took a 6 year journey in NYC with this book and it was the most amazing experience of my life.
John
New York... far more wonderful than those of you that have never been could even possibly begin to imagine.

The Rough Guide is by no means the best [nor worst], yet its simple formula makes it a very comfortable read for those familiar with the series.
Rich Daley
As always, the Rough Guides are the best way to get around an unfamiliar place. I was there with my girlfriend who has lived there for 12 years but having a "tourist" guide was still essential!
Marte Patel
I can't wait to go there in September! Rough Guides are always inspirational and this is no exception.
Cherie
Very good to remind me of what's rad abt NYC, but I don't like the Rough Guides
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Ryan
Ryan added it
May 12, 2014
Nicola
Nicola is currently reading it
May 08, 2014
Helen
Helen added it
Dec 31, 2013
Clockworkpurple
Clockworkpurple marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Martin Hoven
Martin Hoven marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Rough Guide to Rome The Rough Guide to The Netherlands Amsterdam The Rough Guide to Brussels The Mini Rough Guide to Rome (Rough Guide Mini Guides)