Start by marking “By a Thread (Elemental Assassin, #6)” as Want to Read:
By a Thread (Elemental Assassin, #6)

By a Thread (Elemental Assassin #6)

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,698 Ratings  ·  526 Reviews
The sixth book in the USA TODAY bestselling Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series featuring Gin Blanco, who by day owns a Tennessee BBQ joint, and by night is a tough female assassin known as the Spider.

I never thought I’d need a vacation from being an assassin….

My name is Gin Blanco, and I’m the assassin the Spider. All the Ashland’s lowlifes are gunning for me and try
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published February 28th 2012 by Pocket

To ask other readers questions about By a Thread, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By a Thread

Can't Wait Books of 2012
100th out of 2,455 books — 15,881 voters
Lover Reborn by J.R. WardOnce Burned by Jeaniene FrostIced by Karen Marie MoningDeadlocked by Charlaine HarrisBiting Cold by Chloe Neill
Most Anticipated Books of 2012! {PNR, UF & PNYA}
36th out of 624 books — 1,799 voters

More lists with this book...

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Ok, I really gave this another try. I even made it to 70% but I am absolutely bored with it. I no longer find Gin a likable character. The only characters that I truly like are Owen, Finn, and Sophia.

update....
I decided to give the book another chance. Too many people have messaged me regarding how much better this book is than the previous one. So im trusting all of them!

My old ranting below

I'm giving up on this series. There was so much I liked so much about this series but I can't do it any
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Fans of the series won't be disappointed at all.

Now that Mab Monroe is finally gone and Gin’s identity has become common knowledge, every aspiring criminal out there is trying to make a name for himself by killing the (in)famous Spider. Sophia Deveraux is busier than ever, what with cooking for all the people who come to the Pork Pit to stare at Gin and getting rid of the bodies Gin leaves behind in their back alley. So when Finn suggests a vacation for the four of them (Gin, Owen, Bria and hims
Denisa
3.5 I liked it, just not as much as the last one...

Ok, maybe it's not the best idea to read books in a series one after the other. You get too used to the characters and you don't see them as special as they actually are (and I know Gin is, I love her and it's rare that I like a female character as much as I like her).

Still, well... the others were a bit more interesting.

If you liked the previous books though, read it! It's definitely worth it!
Naomi
Jan 19, 2016 Naomi rated it it was amazing
This was terrific :-) One of my favourite series ...more
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
After the events regarding Mab in Spider's Revenge, Gin is now having to deal with other lowlifes on a daily basis and it's taking its toll. Finn tells her she needs to go on vacation and thinking it might be a good way to spend some quality time with Bria, they head off to Bria's hometown.

description~*~description~*~description~*~description~*~description

Okay...I finally get the whole Donovan debacle. Not that I was wanting Gin to get back together with him especially after getting to know Owen but I'm not sure if I was expecting this! I really do
Katyana
Sep 01, 2012 Katyana rated it liked it
Well. This one was honestly disappointing to me. I'll admit that the ending was good, and did a lot to salvage the book, but I was pretty irritated for the first 200 pages.

The biggest flaw in this book is Bria.

I know that she was never thrilled with Gin being an assassin, but she did make her peace with it. So in this book, when Bria suddenly morphed into a female Donovan Caine, I was pretty shocked. I thought it was needless drama in the Gin/Bria relationship, and was way out of character for h
Jen (Red Hot Books)
I have to admit, I was worried. When Jennifer Estep wrapped up the Mab Monroe storyline in the last book, it felt like it could be the end of the Elemental Assassin series. Then I head two words that made me shudder: road trip. Few authors can take their main character out of the familiar environment and make the story work. But let me tell you right now, not only did Jennifer Estep make it work, she's given us the very best installment in the series to date.

After Mab's death, Gin thought her li
Shauna
Mar 04, 2012 Shauna rated it it was ok
I had to really push myself to finish this one.

Okay, yes, the re-hashing that had you skimming through sizable portions of previous books in the series has been greatly reduced but perversely, it's absence just let me focus in on what has really been my main problem with this series. Gin. That's right, the woman herself. What attracted me to the series in the first place was the whole bad-ass female assassin deal. What I got was a guilt-ridden doormat.
First book, I was happy to heap the large
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Mar 10, 2012 Anna (Bobs Her Hair) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: UF/PNR Fans
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Lots of good stuff...tension between Bria and Gin, a vacation spot with a bigger badder fish than Mab Monroe, the reappearance of Gin's ex-boyfriend Donovan Caine, and Gin's oh-so-sexy-best-boyfriend-in-the-world Owen, fight scenes, bloodshed, spilled guts, and good food...What's not to like?

***edited to add full review***

The Story
After defeating Mab Monroe, the fire elemental responsible to the murder of her mother and big sister, Gin Bianco wants life to return to normal but rumors of her bei
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Quick review

Cover: Love it.
Rating NC-17 for the sexiness of it all.
Thumbs Up 5 shiny stars
Overall: Fantastic read!
Characters: Awesome!
Plot: Love the surprise and the twist in the story.
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes, absolutely.
Recommend Yes
Book Boyfriend: Owen

SUMMARY (50 word or less)

Fantastic read and a total home run. Estep brought us back to all the reasons why we love this series. We get one heck of a surprise earlier on in the story and from there Gin finds herself in trouble we
Brianna (The Book Vixen)
Why I Read this Book: This series is on my auto-buy/auto-read list. Seriously, I’ve been pre-ordering these books for a while now. I have loved this series since the first book.

What I Liked: Just as with its predecessors, By A Thread was full of action and had me turning page after page. It was pretty much non-stop action from the start. And just when I was worried about Mab no longer being the villain in this series, the author brings a whole new level of ‘bad guy’ to Gin's world. Randall was d
Suz
Feb 29, 2012 Suz marked it as to-read
Shelves: urban-fantasy
2/28/12 - Undecided about whether I'll continue this series. Can't stand the rehashes.
All Things Urban Fantasy
Feb 24, 2012 All Things Urban Fantasy rated it really liked it
I'd like to pretend that I'm too mature to relish the revenge fantasy of running into an old ex when feeling gorgeous, successful, and in love... but honestly, is anyone that evolved? In the past I've enjoyed Gin when she sticks to violence and skips the emotional baggage, but BY A THREAD was a delicious blend of both. Emotional closure paired with assassin skills, the Elemental Assassin series has adapted to life after Mab without missing a beat.

By this far into the series I expect Estep to thr
Katie(babs)
Feb 27, 2012 Katie(babs) rated it really liked it
Jennifer Estep has tied up a very big loose end with her fifth book, Spider’s Revenge in her popular Elemental Assassin series. So you’d think that would be the end of this series? Think again. Our favorite assassin, Gin Blanco, aka the Spider is back in By a Thread (with at least another 3 books to follow). Gin has eliminated her biggest enemy and now is open to living a normal, mundane life. Not so. She’s been targeted for assassination by criminals who want to take over Ashland that’s now up ...more
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating: 3.5 going on 4

And with this instalment this series is finally back on track! I almost gave up on Elemental Assassin because of the constant recaps and repetitions (it felt like reading the same chapter over and over again) but held on tight because I love Gin’s character. I’m so glad I did! Things had gotten a little better with Spider’s Revenge and Mab’s demise so I was curious to find out what would happen now that the original story arc was over and done with.

By a Thread was h
Marga
Actual Rating: 3.5/5 stars

Dilemma: After everything that happened, including Gin killing Mab Monroe, they decided to take a vacation. Ha. Vacation huh? It feels like an assassin couldn't really have a rest. Why, trouble finds her.

Bria. Uhm. Why? The moment when she seems ashamed to introduced Gin to her bestfriend as her sister made me want to punch her. She still can't get over the fact that Gin kills people. Who can, right? But after all they experienced? Really.

Gin, awww. Being bit by a vampi
Stephanie  G
Mar 02, 2012 Stephanie G rated it really liked it
After finally having her revenge against the woman who murdered her family, Gin Blanco would like nothing more than a minute to relax. But there will be none of that, not with Ashland's criminals looking to be the one to take down the assassin known as the Spider. So Gin has packed her bags and is heading out of town with her sister Bria for a much needed vacation. Blue Marsh is a beautiful resort town with an upscale hotel, swanky shops and beautiful beaches. None of which really interests Gin. ...more
VampireNovelFan
Ain’t no rest for the wicked - more like a 3.5

It seems as if Gin Blanco can't catch a break no matter how hard she tries. As Jennifer Estep's prior novel, Spider's Revenge, and short story, Thread of Death, wrapped up the first major arc of this series, this book was more of a cool down with Gin taking a vacation with her sister, Bria, in an attempt to bond and heal after all they've been through.

The location of choice for this vacation is Bria's old hometown, a swanky beach town where all loo
Julie
Feb 24, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
Posted at Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks

By a Thread is the sixth book in Jennifer Estep’s Elemental Assassin series and it continues to demonstrate how awesome this series is.

This time around Finn suggests that it may be time for Gin to take a vacation. A weekend away with Owen, Finn and Bria. You see, since taking care of business back in book five, Gin’s alter ego as the assassin The Spider is starting to become public knowledge. Well, that’s not completely true - It’s becoming public specu
Siiri (Little Pieces of Imagination)
Actual rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Why, these books just keep getting better and better. I asbolutely loved this one, because it wasn't about Mab Monroe anymore. The gang got new challenges to overcome and the story was the most original of the series so far. Also, it was so fun to watch them try to have a calm, ordinary beach vacation. Finn totally made it hilarious with his lovely, fantastic self. I love Gin's step-brother like no other! :-)

If there has ever been a doubt in my mind that Owen and
Erica McGillivray
Definitely the worst book in the series. The story balance was off, and emotions were all over the place. There were too many themes that weren't fully developed.

First the entire return of Donovan Cain. Groan. Way too much of a coincidence that Bria's bff would be engaged to him. Or that he'd still want Gin. Double groan. And Owen being jealous was not hot - Estep ruined the beach sex with jealousy - and the first time I've really disliked Owen. Triple groan. And then that Gin would even enterta
Shari Kay
Aug 25, 2015 Shari Kay rated it liked it
Shelves: pnr-uf
3.5

This is one of those series that I can't make up my mind about. It can be very repetitive, but it can be entertaining too.

In BaT, Gin finds herself in a position to bring her own kind of help to one of Bria's friends who's being pressured to sell her restaurant by a very powerful vampire. So of course Gin is right in the thick of things, even though she's suppose to be on vacation and reconnecting with her sister Bria. Bria deserves a mention here...I seriously wanted to smack her for a good
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Posted on Under the Covers

With Mab Monroe out of the picture, Gin takes a much needed vacation with her sister, Bria. They stop at Sea Breeze, Bria’s friend’s trendy restaurant where Gin takes a bite out of the sweet owner, Callie. While I think Gin has grown from the previous books in the series, there are still times when I feel like she is still the callous person she was in book one. She notices how friendly Callie and her sister are and can’t help but feel jealous of their relationship. Gin
Stacy
Feb 08, 2012 Stacy rated it it was amazing
Now that Gin's identity is completely revealed everyone who is someone is looking to be the one to kill her. She cant go a day without an attempt on her life. She is bad ass but that would wear on anyone so she took Finn up on the idea of a vacation with him, Bria and Owen. We all know by now that Gin never catches a break so it isn't surprising that she doesn't get a moments of peace before she is back in the action.

I have to admit that when Jennifer said that Donovan Caine would be back in a f
Pamela / SpazP
May 31, 2012 Pamela / SpazP rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love Gin Blanco. I say this every single book, and I mean it. She is exactly who I would want to have as my friend in real life. Sure, she is an assassin, but her loyalty and compassion for those who are lucky to have her love is unmatched. With this sixth book in Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassin series, By A Thread is definitely no exception to the rule, each book just gets better and better in this series. I loved this book!

By A Thread is a wild ride. Gin is finally convinced that she nee
Lesley
May 27, 2013 Lesley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-favourites
I'm playing catch up with Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassin series, after finally defeating Mab Monroe in Spider's Revenge I took a little break from Gin Blanco's world and although I was now keen to get back to the series I wasn't exactly sure what was in store for Gin. If I'm honest I wasn't exactly sure if the series would be half as exciting without Mab in it she was such a fantastic baddie.

By a Thread was actually way better than I'd expected. It had action, heartbreak and an evil Vamp vi
Shasha
Mar 09, 2012 Shasha rated it it was ok
I finished the series in about 3 days, did enjoy it don't get me wrong. But it is only "it was okay" 2 stars. Why? Because I wanted to read it but instead had to resort to only skim through it, and not on purpose. It's a refreshing world, I love me some magic and assassins. I quite liked Gin, Owen, Finn, Bria, and all the others. But the writing just wasn't that great. A lot of repetition about Donovan and Bria. I get it, in case someone didn't read the previous books, but it just got tiring aft ...more
Bells
Mar 10, 2012 Bells rated it really liked it
Bad people are everywhere and Gin Blanco knows this too well. Known as The Spider, she's one of the best assassins around. She's retired from that line of work but that hasn't stopped people from trying to be the one that can finally say that they killed The Spider. She decides to go on vacation to get away from it all only to run into more trouble when some thugs threaten a friend of her sister Bria. Gin knows these type of people all too well and when they come after her and Bria she decides t ...more
Ian
Jul 27, 2012 Ian rated it really liked it

Book 6 in Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassin series is (imo) the best. Book 5 Spider’s Revenge saw Gin Blanco finally killing her nemesis Mab Monroe, leaving Ashland's underworld in turmoil. With every two-bit hood gunning for her, her friends convince her to take a holiday and they all head down to a resort town near Savannah.
But Gin can't catch a break and finds herself protecting an old friend of her sister's who is being leaned on by a local gangster.

The world created by Jennifer Estep is
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief im not actually mad!
i adore this series, when i first came across this series i was inlove. i have never read a book like this before with a character as awesome as gin, now this series isnt so new and sparkly to me anymore but i still get just as much enjoyment out of reading it. though there were a few times where i felt the book was repeating itself but otherwise a great read! ^.^
what i loved the most was that Donivan totally got what was coming to him!!

i got a sneak peak of Widow’s Web at the end and it was rea
Madison Mega-Mara...: By a Thread 1 3 Jun 15, 2012 12:12PM
New releases 5 48 Jun 14, 2012 07:12PM
Free Book Giveaway: Win By a Thread by Jennifer Estep! 1 8 Mar 05, 2012 04:43AM
  • A Sliver of Shadow (Abby Sinclair, #2)
  • Sacrificial Magic (Downside Ghosts, #4)
  • Magic Without Mercy (Allie Beckstrom, #8)
  • Raven Cursed (Jane Yellowrock, #4)
  • Silver-Tongued Devil (Sabina Kane, #4)
  • Deadly Descendant (Nikki Glass, #2)
  • Black Howl (Black Wings, #3)
  • Blood Before Sunrise (Shaede Assassin, #2)
  • Sins of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #4)
  • Fury's Kiss (Dorina Basarab, #3)
  • Better Off Undead (The Bloodhound Files, #4)
  • Devil's Punch (Corine Solomon, #4)
  • Double Cross (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #2)
  • Shadows Before the Sun (Charlie Madigan, #4)
  • Summoning the Night (Arcadia Bell, #2)
  • Wrong Side of Dead (Dreg City, #4)
Jennifer Estep is a New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea.

ELEMENTAL ASSASSIN SERIES
Jennifer writes the Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series.

The books focus on Gin Blanco, an assassin codenamed the Spider who can control the elements of Ice and Stone. When she’s not busy killing people and righ
More about Jennifer Estep...

Elemental Assassin (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1)
  • Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)
  • Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3)
  • Tangled Threads (Elemental Assassin, #4)
  • Spider’s Revenge (Elemental Assassin, #5)
  • Widow’s Web (Elemental Assassin, #7)
  • Deadly Sting (Elemental Assassin, #8)
  • Heart of Venom (Elemental Assassin, #9)
  • The Spider (Elemental Assassin, #10)
  • Poison Promise (Elemental Assassin, #11)

“Hello, sexy. I knew that you couldn't get through the night without me," Finn's smug, slightly sleepy voice filled my ear. "So why don't you tell me what you're wearing?"

I rolled my eyes. Apparently, my foster brother hadn't bothered to check his caller ID before he picked up the phone. I wondered if this was how he answered all his late night calls, or if he was actually expecting to hear from Bria. I really hoped it was the second one.

"What am I wearing? Well, right now it would be the blood of two giants, among other naughty unmentionables," I purred. "What does that do for you, sexy?"

Silence.

Then Finn cleared his throat. "Uh Gin? Did you dial my number by mistake? Shouldn't you be cooing these sweet, sweet nothings into Owen's ear instead of mine?”
52 likes
“I looked at Bria. “How do you put up with him?”
Bria started to open her mouth, but Finn piped up instead.
“She puts up with me because I happen to be rich, handsome, charming, a witty conversationalist, and exceptionally talented in bed,” he smirked. “Flexible too.”
I groaned. “I did not need to hear those last two.”
30 likes