Start by marking “Aristotle: Poetics; With: Longinus: On the Sublime & Demetrius: On Style (Loeb Classical Library No. 199)” as Want to Read:

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  11,609 Ratings  ·  469 Reviews
In PoeticsAristotle (384 322 BCE) treats Greek tragedy and epic. The subject of On the Sublime, attributed to an (unidentifiable) Longinus and probably composed in the first century CE is greatness in writing. On Style, attributed to an (unidentifiable) Demetrius and perhaps composed in the second century BCE, analyzes four literary styles.
Published October 12th 1995 by Loeb Classical Library 199 (first published -335)

Glenn Russell
Dec 28, 2015 Glenn Russell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

During the golden age of ancient Greece bards roamed the countryside mesmerizing crowds by reciting the epics of Homer. Thousands of men and women gathered and were moved to tears by tragedies performed outside in amphitheaters during sacred festivals. Such an amazingly powerful and profound experience for an entire population. What was going on here; why were people so deeply affected? Well, one of the sharpest, most analytic minds in the history of the West set himself the task of answering ju
Bookworm Sean
It’s odd that the most ancient essay on literary criticism is one of the easiest to understand. It is so accessible. If you compare this to works by Nietzsche, Hegel and Freud the extremities of this can easily be seen. Aristotle explains his theory in the most basic language possible with no artful language that distances the reader from it. It is completely comprehensive and virtually impossible not to understand. Aristotle was an advocate of presenting his arguments in the most simplest of la ...more
Trevor
Dec 02, 2009 Trevor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
This is perhaps my favourite philosopher of the Ancient world chatting about literary criticism – it doesn’t really get too much better than this. Plato, of course, wanted to banish all of the artists from his ideal republic. He wanted to do this because the world we live in is a poor copy of the ‘real’ world and so art is but a copy of a copy. Rather than bring us closer to the truth, Plato believed that art took us further away.

It can’t have been easy for Aristotle, Plato’s student, to disagre
Bill  Kerwin
Apr 15, 2016 Bill Kerwin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

If you want to learn about tragedy--or narrative in general--this is still the best place to start.
Riku Sayuj

This is the best commentary I could find on The Poetics. Bywater's is a much better translation and immensely readable, except for the places where he employs the Greek without transliteration. A good strategy could be to keep to Bywater for a first read, and then use Whalley's idiosyncratic and 'deliberately clumsy' translation while studying his notes. We can even supplement it with the Lucas notes.

The best essay length criticism can be had from Lucas and Else, both of which are referred to of
Edward

--From Plato, Republic, Books 2, 3, and 10
--Aristotle, Poetics
--From Sir Philip Sidney, An Apology for Poetry
--From P. B. Shelley, A Defence of Poetry
--From D. L. Sayers, 'Aristotle on Detective Fiction'

A Note on Metre
Explanatory Notes
Glossary of Key Terms
Index
J.G. Keely
Jan 15, 2013 J.G. Keely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, lit-crit
There's something terribly edifying when, having created your own rubric for how books should be judged, you happen to pick up the work from which all literary criticism arose and find that you and Aristotle have independently produced the same system for judgment. I know it probably just trickled down to me through cultural osmosis, but it does give me hope that I'm putting the pieces together properly.
Rakhi Dalal
May 10, 2014 Rakhi Dalal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Been reading this again. Aristotle's take on woman Even a woman
may be good, and also a slave; though the woman may be said to be an inferior being, and the slave quite worthless
, reminds me of something similar being said by Krishna in the Bhagwadgita..

I am inclined to reduce the rating here, but will probably do that with a full review.
Fabian
May 26, 2016 Fabian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here is a rudimentary tablet of knowledge by one of the greats. First off, it is somewhat incredible to concede the year that this was written, and that almost 2,400 years later we are still eager to explore poetics that are in this aged article so clearly defined.

Aristotle exalts the poet and holds him in the highest esteem. Similarly, I have come to the conclusion that the novelist of literature is the truest of artists, imitating what he sees and ‘painting’ things as how they are, telling it
João Fernandes
Despite the importance this book holds as the first attempt at a guide to art and dramatic critic, I think most of Aristotle's points aren't particularly accurate in the current age.

Fortunately for all of us, Art has evolved past form. The passing of time has allowed artists, from dramatists to writers, to break the conventions of past eras.

So no, Aristotle, comedy is no longer about "inferior people" and tragedy about "great people". Nor is Art very logically constructed.

By all means, read th
Genni
Jun 02, 2016 Genni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Whew. I made it through my first work by Aristotle. If all of his works are written like this, then I don't think it's going to be that bad. My perception was that he was extremely difficult. But just from this work alone, it seems he is just very thorough. A very precise thinker. So if he deals with difficult material, he will do so in such a way that is very clear, and not convoluted. At least, that is the impression so far...

The following example stuck out to me. Let it not be said that Arist
bup
Feb 19, 2008 bup rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, audiobook, librivox
Well, I tell you what.

Did you ever see "Dead Poet's Society"? You know that scene where it's the first day of school and Robin Williams has them read that essay out loud, with all sorts of formulae and things for analyzing poetry - where Robin Williams graphs a formula on the board: PxI=G ?

Remember that?

That's the feeling I got with this. It seems to miss the forest for the trees.

OK, it's an analysis of drama and epic poetry. But to what end? Aristotle apparently felt it would be prescriptive to
Mohamad Yoosofi
ظاهراً ارسطو نخستین نظریهپرداز شعر بوده است. البته پیش از او افلاطون دیدگاههایی درباب ادبیات مطرح کرده بوده؛ اما رسالهای مستقل دراینباره ننوشته و از آن رو که رویکرد او به ادبیات، رویکردی نفیکننده بوده است، نمیتوان او را نظریهپرداز این مقوله خواند. ارسطو برپایهی آنچه از ادبیات و شاعری در زمانهی خودش برداشت میکرده، انواع شعر را در سه دسته میگنجاند: حماسه و تراژدی و کمدی. از این سه دسته، کمدی را فرودستترین و تراژدی را متعالیترین گونهی شعری میشمارد؛ چراکه کمدی غالباً برمبنای مسخرگی است و اندیشهی عمی ...more
Billy Roper
Apr 15, 2016 Billy Roper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aristotle's 'Poetics' is a tutorial on how to tell stories, especially in a formulaic, classical Greek style, much of which evolved from the preliterate Homeric tradition of spoken word epic legend recitation. I wish that being well-educated still meant catching a bit of Greek and Latin, and reading Aristotle, Plato, Pliny, Herodotus, and Tacitus. We've lost a lot, and thrown away more, in the quest to not leave anyone behind. This is more than just a description of how to narrate plays and dram ...more
Haya ∞Δnother book Junkie∞
Can't say that was easy, but i can't so it was hard either. It's safe to say, like many people who read this book, that i didn't read this for enjoyment. Surprisingly; i find myself really enjoying everything in it. Very educational and interesting.
Anyone who's studying literature or literary criticism NEEDS to read this.
Corey
May 22, 2013 Corey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vonnegut said that this little essay was all any novelist needed to know and I won't argue with Kurt.
Tanuj Solanki
May 20, 2016 Tanuj Solanki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ancient-greece
The Plots of Tragedies

First published in The New Indian Express

It so happens that none of what Aristotle wrote for the public in his time – none of the ‘published’ works – has survived the close to twenty-four hundred years separating him from us. What we have of Aristotle is notes and half-written works, never meant for widespread sharing, perhaps written only to be of use to students as references to larger works.

One of these texts is Poetics, about sixty-odd pages if one measures in today’s p
Matt
Feb 02, 2011 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aristotle says that the exercise of any capacity brings pleasure. Poetry is language made pleasurable in verse form. Aristotle distinguishes the poetic genres of epic poetry (like Homer's Illiad and Odyssey) and tragedy (like the plays of Aeschylus and Sophocles) and comedy (like the plays of Aristophanes). Aristotle only mentions lyric poetry, which is what we normally think of as poetry (like a sonnet). When Aristotle is talking about poetics, we should think of stories in verse form like Shak ...more
Kyle van Oosterum
Helpful analysis of tragedy by a philosopher who has clearly done his homework. Some parts [my edition probably] had too much Ancient Greek and excessive amounts of praise for Homer.

Checklist for a good tragedy (according to Aristotle):
- Reversal of Fortune (peripeteia)
- Recognition (passing from ignorance to knowledge of circumstances)
- Scene of Suffering (think about Oedipus) to trigger the purgation of emotion or (catharsis)
Lăcră Grozăvescu
De multe ori e verosimil să se întâmple și lucruri neverosimile .
Mike Jensen
I realize the rating must seem sacrilegious, but Aristotle simply did not process his subject well. By holding up the play he liked best as the model for all plays, he committed the fundamental error of mistaking a personal preference for a universal truth. Shame on him.

POETICS would not rate three stars had it not been so influential through later centuries. It is important to read this book to understand much later literary criticism and the structure of many subsequent plays.
Jim
Aristotle's ideas about plot and character still inform much of literature and cinematic storytelling over 2000 years after he formulated them. It's a challenge to dig the nuggets out, but with a little patience and a good translation there are valuable ideas to be found in this short but influential work.
Amr Hassan
3.5/5 (S. H. Butcher's translation. PDF)

This is a must read for anyone who studies literature and criticism, especially classical or ancient Greek literature. Aristotle gives his views on Tragedy, it's contents, the plot, characters and compares it to Epic poetry with it's grand themes, elongated structure and multiple plots. Briefly, the book is of great value as one of the first attempts at criticism and it is certainly great content-wise. I found the parts about ancient Greek language to be h
Elliot Little
This Aristotle guy really knows his stuff.
Brea
Jun 19, 2015 Brea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
He's a bit pretentious...
Timons Esaias
Jun 14, 2016 Timons Esaias rated it it was amazing
Well, it's not like Aristotle really needs a review, but here goes: I've read small bits of the Poetics before, when chasing footnotes; ditto with On Style by Demetrius. I'd always meant to read them (and Longinus) cover-to-cover; had put the book on my bedside table, where it sat for years; and, of course, I now wish I'd read this years ago.
I teach writing, and one of the things that has greatly amused me is that we still teach much of Aristotle, with very little change. The man understood th
Daniel Cheng
May 30, 2016 Daniel Cheng rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading Aristotle’s Poetics today is undoubtedly a strange anachronistic experience. Most of our canonical texts from the past 150 years wouldn’t pass Aristotle’s standards and the mostly successful goal of postmodernism was to do away with many of the rigid categories and classifications he so meticulously constructs. With the triumph of hermeneutics in academic literary criticism, many of Aristotle’s claims about what the poet’s communicative goals should be fall flat and a whole side of the c ...more
Curtis
Jan 12, 2016 Curtis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It probably is a black mark on my character that I have not read this before. The impetus for reading it now is preparation for my thesis as an MA student at Signum University. In particular, I had started reading The Anatomy of Criticism by Northrop Frye, and discovered that his first essay is premised on some of Aristotle's comments here. Seeing that the Poetics was not very long, I decided it was high time (okay, well past high time) to read this seminal work.

As far as it relates directly to
Isiah Velasquez
This book has much historical merit, as it is Aristotle's aesthetic critique of poetry. However, it is primarily Aristotle's theory of good tragedy and what makes it good. He also goes over epic, but since all epic involves elements of tragedy and not vice versa, most of the work is spent discussing tragedy.

What I really enjoyed about the Oxford World's Classics edition is that they include much extant material on Aristotle's Poetics. Aristotle's actual work only consists of 1/4th of the edition
Chris
Where to start? Honestly, Poetics is one of those books that makes you admire the author while you want to strangle him. This work is highly influential, and you can see its influence in Western Literature in authors such as Shakespeare, Byron, and Miller. It also makes classical literature easy to understand, at least in terms of structure.

In short, if you are interested in literature, you should read this book.

But you will also want to strangle Aristotle. Yes, he's an ancient Greek and woman'
Goodreads Librari...: need merging 2 19 Apr 13, 2016 09:07AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct these data 4 21 Oct 27, 2013 06:43AM
Brain Pain: Aristotle - Poetics - Discussion 1 44 Nov 26, 2011 10:29AM
  • On Great Writing (On the Sublime)
  • Phaedrus
  • Laocoon: An Essay on the Limits of Painting and Poetry
  • The Way Things Are: The De Rerum Natura
  • Anatomy of Criticism
  • Alcestis
  • Plato I: Euthyphro. Apology. Crito. Phaedo. Phaedrus. (Loeb Classical Library, #36)
  • A Defence of Poetry
  • Ptolemy's Almagest
  • The Birth of Tragedy
  • On Old Age, On Friendship & On Divination
  • On the Aesthetic Education of Man
  • Plutarch's Lives, Vol 2
(Greece: Αριστοτέλης)
(Arabic: أرسطوطاليس)

Aristotle (384–322 B.C.E.) numbers among the greatest philosophers of all time. Judged solely in terms of his philosophical influence, only Plato is his peer: Aristotle's works shaped centuries of philosophy from Late Antiquity through the Renaissance, and even today continue to be studied with keen, non-antiquarian interest. A prodigious researcher and wri
More about Aristotle...

“Comedy aims at representing men as worse, Tragedy as better than in actual life.” 104 likes
“With respect to the requirement of art, the probable impossible is always preferable to the improbable possible.” 36 likes