The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?

The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  3,552 ratings  ·  397 reviews
Much to the chagrin of Pigeon, little Duckling uses very polite manners to request a cookie, and actually gets one. Filled with righteous fury, Pigeon loses his temper and complains bitterly about this terrible state of affairs. However, things aren't what they seem, and Duckling has a secret plan! Part of the bestselling Pigeon series by genius children's book author and...more
Published April 3rd 2012 by Disney-Hyperion

Ronyell
Duckling

After reading Mo Willems’ classic “Pigeon” books, Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! and The Pigeon Wants a Puppy! I wanted to check out more books from this series! So, I picked up Mo Willems’ most recent book from the “Pigeon” series, “The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?” and I really enjoyed it! “The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?” is a fantastic read for children who are fans of Mo Willems’ “Pigeon” series!

When the Duckling ends up getting a cookie because he politely asked for one, the Pigeon ends up g...more
midnightfaerie
Another awesome read by Mo Willems. What's brilliant about this one, is that is actually plays on a theme present in an earlier book, almost like a hidden joke. You don't have to read the earlier book to enjoy this, but it makes it more fun for the adults. A duckling asks for a cookie and gets it and the pigeon rants and raves that it's not fair, he asks for many things, (like driving a bus - the other book) but never gets them. A fun and typical Willems twist at the end made this a book all my...more
La Katie
HERE THERE BE SPOILERS (lols)

5 Things About...The Duckling Gets a Cookie?!

1. So this is one of those books where the title tells you a lot. Much like Melville's classic "Moby Dick, or The Whale," we are introduced to the Duckling, the counterpart to our surly captain, The Pigeon. And much like Ahab's metaphysical obsession over the evil in the albino leviathan, we watch the drama unfold as the Pigeon's desires are laid out on the page, all over a cookie. With nuts.

2. As the series has already di...more
Jim Erekson
Have to admit it, I'm a fan. I have a great time with this series with my kids. My favorite structure in these books is the part where it breaks into the 8-box sequence for the pigeon to go on a tirade. This is just one example of Willems' control of pacing through use of a cinematic montage style. Again, Willems' animator sensibilities for storyboarding are impressive.

Mostly, I rate this one a four because the sentence "Oh! Look at all those nuts" demands some inference, when it gets just drop...more
John
Mar 30, 2012 John rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012, humor
Moral of the story? Sometimes all you have to do is ask politely.
David
The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? by Mo Willems has the pigeon angry when the ducking gets a cookie by asking for it politely.

Willems' humorous illustrations continue to convey feelings & emotions clearly through a few squigles and circles. My favorite images include scoots, flaps, asking list, tantrum, thanks, and last 2 pictures.

Willens' text features a very large font for pigeon within word bubbles, and smaller fonts for ducking without word buubles, except for the last sentence. This would wo...more
Brian Rock
The latest in Mo Willems’ classic “Pigeon” series of books, The Duckling Gets A Cookie, holds its own with its award winning predecessors.

In this installment, the irascible Pigeon bemoans the injustice of Duckling receiving a cookie by simply asking for it.

Asking? Getting by asking? Pigeon is beside himself as he recounts all the things he’s asked for to no avail. Duckling manages to diffuse the volatile pigeon with a nice gesture (or clever scheme!) Like all of Willems’ books, this story convey...more
Taiba Hussain
Fantastic book, worked a treat in foundation stage. The reason behind using this book for my Nursery children was to combat the continuous tantrums I witnessed. The children loved story time, so I found it fitting to read a story that showed the audience how silly a tantrum looks! It worked a treat and the children discussed how the duckling managed to get a cookie simply by asking for it. During the story you find that ‘Pigeon’ is outraged by Duckling getting a cookie simply by asking nicely! N...more
Angie
My heart truly lies with Elephant and Piggie but I can enjoy a Pigeon book every now and again...because really anything by Mo Willems is awesome. In this book we are introduced to a cute little duckling who gets a cookie...Pigeon is jealous...why didn't Pigeon get a cookie? Pigeon asks for things all the time and never gets anything!!?!? Pigeon throws a FIT! Yes all caps FIT. Duckling gives Pigeon the cookie, Pigeon is happy, duckling wants another cookie.

I love the illustrations. Pigeon's fit...more
Dolly
Jun 10, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens
We have loved the Pigeon stories ever since our girls were really little. Mo Willems is an amazing Chilren's author and we borrow all of his books as soon as we see a new one.

This is another fun book in the series. This story is about jealousy and a frustrated pigeon who complains that he never gets what he asks for. I love that the duckling is polite and calm, even when the pigeon loses it. The illustrations are just as humorous as we've come to expect from this author and we enjoyed reading t...more
Shawn Thrasher
Is Pigeon the Liz Lemon of the picture book animal world? A little odd. Always wanting something and going to great lengths to try to get it. Prone to fits, tantrums, epiphanies, and many sarcastic or ironic statements and non sequitur in a short period of time (the length of a picture book). A smart ass. Surrounded by characters like Duckling or Tracy Jordan. (perhaps Duckling is the Kenneth of this series).

Once again, a f***ing fantastic offering from Mo Willems, a god (read: Dr. Seuss) among...more
Snorkle
An interesting take on being polite and learning how to ask for things nicely. I loved the pigeon's antics, even if his rant did seem a little odd, but that's the Pigeon for you. The Duckling handled the Pigeon's rant nicely and was very well behaved. But by the end of the book you got a little better perspective on why the duckling was so thoughtful. It was an amusing twist and made me smile. This book was funny, but I can't say it's my favorite of the pigeon stories, but I definitely enjoyed i...more
Sarah Sammis
The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? by Mo Willems is the newest Pigeon book. The Duckling, first introduced in The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog, is back, and he has a cookie with chips and nuts.

Of course there's no way the Pigeon (who turned nine this year) wants the Duckling to either star in a book or have a delicious cookie. As you can imagine, the Pigeon does everything possible to steal the show and the cookie.

It's a cute book that works well both as a read alone book for level one readers and as a grou...more
Laurie
Lu Benke
How can Willems capture that many emotions in so few lines? The juxtaposition of size of the characters and the basically motionless duck vs. the over-wraught pigeon is pure hilarity, not to mention the deft, swoop-of-a-pen changing of the one eye of each character. You could have fun having kids just play with conveying emotion through drawing of eyes. Here's a surprise: one of the subject headings is "etiquette!"
Courtney Dyer
Duckling Gets a Cookie!? is another one of Mo Willems’ humorously funny stories revolving around Pigeon’s drama, except this time, we are introduced to his soft-spoken counterpart, Duckling, who seems innocently sweet.

In the beginning of the story, Duckling asks for a cookie (politely) and gets it. Then, Pigeon comes along and wants to know how Duckling got that cookie! He becomes angry and ignoring the fact that Duckling asked politely, he ends up going off on one of his usual rants until he is...more
Hannah Cobb
The duckling gets a cookie? Just by asking? This is unfair! The pigeon has asked for all kinds of things--to stay up late, to drive the bus (it doesn't even have to be a big bus!), and to have a hot dog party. Ducklings get everything.
This is another lively, amusing Willem's masterpiece, focused on the themes of courtesy, sharing, and kindness.
Joan
The pigeon simply doesn't learn (thank goodness!). Throwing a temper tantrum will not get him a cookie. The duckling has figured out a magic way to get a cookie. Not only that but he gave his cookie to Pigeon and politely asked for another cookie for himself. Slightly heavy handed in the message but so much fun no one will care!
Jennifer Kaap
Not my favorite Pigeon book, but I still think that I will enjoy sharing this with the kids at storytime. I see an all Pigeon books storytime in my future. And, this is a no-brain companion to Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog...
Leigh
I loved Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, that was hysterical. But Pigeon is getting obnoxious with his kvetching and sulking.
Kipi
Oh, how I love Mo Willems! This time Duckling models manners and friendship to Pigeon...with a cute little wink at the end. ;)
Carol
I am not typically a fan of the Pigeon books. However, this one made me laugh out loud! My 5-year-old also enjoyed it.
Carly
Not my favorite of Mo's work, but still enjoyable. I love Pigeon's facial expressions when he goes off on his rants.
Melissa
Any Pigeon book gets 5 stars. I love Pigeon's exhaustive list of things he has asked for and not gotten.
Todd Stansbury
Mo Willems books are a lot of fun and this one is no different. A nice story of a duckling who gets a cookie and how much that angers the pigeon. My daughter lives it and so do I. It's a quick read, and not difficult, but it does give some important lessons; being polite, sharing, not asking to drive buses, even small ones; and raises more philosophical questions such as who gives the duckling the cookie? Is the duckling representative of some greater good in the world while the pigeon represent...more
Annamaria
What a great way to get kids to say pelase "politely"! Go Mo Willems!
Mary Ann
Pigeon is back, with all his tantrums that make kids laugh out loud. In the opening spread, the little duckling asks for a cookie and receives one immediately. "Thanks! That was very nice of you!" says Duckling, oh so sweetly. In walks Pigeon, and he's shocked, shocked that Duckling gets a cookie - just by asking! Pigeon tells us, "I ask for things ALL THE TIME!…But do I get what I ask for?"

Kids will laugh at Pigeon as he starts to have tantrums, demanding a cookie, pleading for a cookie. But re...more
Sharon Tyler
The Duckling Gets a Cookie is another fantastic book written and illustrated by Mo Willems. Have I mentioned my love for all things by Mo? NO? I must be slacking. Mo Willems is one of my go to authors picturebooks and easy readers. He has yet to disappoint. The Duckling Gets a Cookie sticks to that tradition of awesomeness.

In this story, as you might expect, the duckling asks nicely for a cookie and receives one. The pigeon, who you might recognize from Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and ot...more
Book Sliders: The Duckling Gets a Cookie?! by Mo Willems {April 2013} 1 1 Apr 02, 2013 12:49PM
  • Boy and Bot
  • Chloe and the Lion
  • Z Is for Moose
  • Oh No, George!
  • Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons
  • You Will Be My Friend!
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Green
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • Kel Gilligan's Daredevil Stunt Show
  • I'm Bored
  • Homer
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r...more
More about Mo Willems...
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale Knuffle Bunny Too: A Case of Mistaken Identity Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!