Start by marking “The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?” as Want to Read:
The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?

The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon)

4.38  ·  Rating Details ·  7,377 Ratings  ·  584 Reviews
Much to the chagrin of Pigeon, little Duckling uses very polite manners to request a cookie, and actually gets one. Filled with righteous fury, Pigeon loses his temper and complains bitterly about this terrible state of affairs. However, things aren't what they seem, and Duckling has a secret plan! Part of the bestselling Pigeon series by genius children's book author and ...more
Published April 3rd 2012 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?

May 19, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books

Okay. I have to admit this rating may be is absolutely influenced by the fact that the cutest 7 year old in the world read it to me. :)

I was never a fan of this series. I loved the Knuffle Bunny books by Mo Willems, but the look and tone of the Pigeon books never grabbed a ‘hold of me. That is until my 7 year old nephew said The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? was one of his favorite books. Lickety-split…I was off to pick up a copy! I had to check it out.

It’s a perfect read-a-loud book filled with fun
Ronyell
Duckling

After reading Mo Willems’ classic “Pigeon” books, Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! and The Pigeon Wants a Puppy! I wanted to check out more books from this series! So, I picked up Mo Willems’ most recent book from the “Pigeon” series, “The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?” and I really enjoyed it! “The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?” is a fantastic read for children who are fans of Mo Willems’ “Pigeon” series!

When the Duckling ends up getting a cookie because he politely asked for one, the Pigeon ends up g
La Katie
May 03, 2012 La Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-things-reviews
HERE THERE BE SPOILERS (lols)

5 Things About...The Duckling Gets a Cookie?!

1. So this is one of those books where the title tells you a lot. Much like Melville's classic "Moby Dick, or The Whale," we are introduced to the Duckling, the counterpart to our surly captain, The Pigeon. And much like Ahab's metaphysical obsession over the evil in the albino leviathan, we watch the drama unfold as the Pigeon's desires are laid out on the page, all over a cookie. With nuts.

2. As the series has already di
Jim Erekson
Mar 06, 2013 Jim Erekson rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy, picturebooks
Have to admit it, I'm a fan. I have a great time with this series with my kids. My favorite structure in these books is the part where it breaks into the 8-box sequence for the pigeon to go on a tirade. This is just one example of Willems' control of pacing through use of a cinematic montage style. Again, Willems' animator sensibilities for storyboarding are impressive.

Mostly, I rate this one a four because the sentence "Oh! Look at all those nuts" demands some inference, when it gets just drop
midnightfaerie
Jul 10, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Another awesome read by Mo Willems. What's brilliant about this one, is that is actually plays on a theme present in an earlier book, almost like a hidden joke. You don't have to read the earlier book to enjoy this, but it makes it more fun for the adults. A duckling asks for a cookie and gets it and the pigeon rants and raves that it's not fair, he asks for many things, (like driving a bus - the other book) but never gets them. A fun and typical Willems twist at the end made this a book all my ...more
John
Mar 30, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, 2012
Moral of the story? Sometimes all you have to do is ask politely.
Yousra Serry
May 10, 2015 Yousra Serry rated it really liked it
THIS IS MY NEW OBSESSION!!!!!!
Molly
Jun 08, 2015 Molly rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
School Library Journal
( March 01, 2012; 9781423151289 )
"K-Gr 2-Duckling, familiar to readers of The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog! (Hyperion, 2004), asks politely and receives a cookie with nuts. Incredulous, Pigeon rants about the many things that he has asked for and failed to receive-a chance to drive the bus, hot-dog parties, a walrus, one more story, his personal iceberg, etc. In classic Pigeon fashion, the lovably emotional bird relates the unfairness of it all through a hilarious monologue unti
Brian Rock
Apr 15, 2013 Brian Rock rated it it was amazing
The latest in Mo Willems’ classic “Pigeon” series of books, The Duckling Gets A Cookie, holds its own with its award winning predecessors.

In this installment, the irascible Pigeon bemoans the injustice of Duckling receiving a cookie by simply asking for it.

Asking? Getting by asking? Pigeon is beside himself as he recounts all the things he’s asked for to no avail. Duckling manages to diffuse the volatile pigeon with a nice gesture (or clever scheme!) Like all of Willems’ books, this story convey
Anne Soderlund
Dec 17, 2015 Anne Soderlund rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
/* Starred Review */ K-Gr 2 — Duckling, familiar to readers of The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog! (Hyperion, 2004), asks politely and receives a cookie with nuts. Incredulous, Pigeon rants about the many things that he has asked for and failed to receive—a chance to drive the bus, hot-dog parties, a walrus, one more story, his personal iceberg, etc. In classic Pigeon fashion, the lovably emotional bird relates the unfairness of it all through a hilarious monologue until finally exploding in clenched-fi ...more
David
May 31, 2012 David rated it really liked it
The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? by Mo Willems has the pigeon angry when the ducking gets a cookie by asking for it politely.

Willems' humorous illustrations continue to convey feelings & emotions clearly through a few squigles and circles. My favorite images include scoots, flaps, asking list, tantrum, thanks, and last 2 pictures.

Willens' text features a very large font for pigeon within word bubbles, and smaller fonts for ducking without word buubles, except for the last sentence. This would wo
Taiba Hussain
May 06, 2012 Taiba Hussain rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book, worked a treat in foundation stage. The reason behind using this book for my Nursery children was to combat the continuous tantrums I witnessed. The children loved story time, so I found it fitting to read a story that showed the audience how silly a tantrum looks! It worked a treat and the children discussed how the duckling managed to get a cookie simply by asking for it. During the story you find that ‘Pigeon’ is outraged by Duckling getting a cookie simply by asking nicely! N ...more
Angie
Apr 11, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it
My heart truly lies with Elephant and Piggie but I can enjoy a Pigeon book every now and again...because really anything by Mo Willems is awesome. In this book we are introduced to a cute little duckling who gets a cookie...Pigeon is jealous...why didn't Pigeon get a cookie? Pigeon asks for things all the time and never gets anything!!?!? Pigeon throws a FIT! Yes all caps FIT. Duckling gives Pigeon the cookie, Pigeon is happy, duckling wants another cookie.

I love the illustrations. Pigeon's fit
Linda Lipko
This is a laugh out loud book. We can all relate to people who demand that life be fair and they whine that others get what they cannot achieve. Such is the mind set of the stubborn, self absorbed pigeon.

When he spots the duckling with a cookie containing nuts, he goes nuts! Lashing into a long diatribe about all that is not fair and all that he deserves, the duckling calmly mentions that he received the cookie not by demanding, but by asking politely.

This is something alien to the mental rappo
Dolly
Sep 15, 2016 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, humor, 2012
We have loved the Pigeon stories ever since our girls were really little. Mo Willems is an amazing Children's author and we borrow all of his books as soon as we see a new one.

This is another fun book in the series. This story is about jealousy and a frustrated pigeon who complains that he never gets what he asks for.

I love that the duckling is polite and calm, even when the pigeon loses it. The illustrations are just as humorous as we've come to expect from this author and we enjoyed reading
Shawn Thrasher
May 21, 2012 Shawn Thrasher rated it it was amazing
Is Pigeon the Liz Lemon of the picture book animal world? A little odd. Always wanting something and going to great lengths to try to get it. Prone to fits, tantrums, epiphanies, and many sarcastic or ironic statements and non sequitur in a short period of time (the length of a picture book). A smart ass. Surrounded by characters like Duckling or Tracy Jordan. (perhaps Duckling is the Kenneth of this series).

Once again, a f***ing fantastic offering from Mo Willems, a god (read: Dr. Seuss) among
Jun 17, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
An interesting take on being polite and learning how to ask for things nicely. I loved the pigeon's antics, even if his rant did seem a little odd, but that's the Pigeon for you. The Duckling handled the Pigeon's rant nicely and was very well behaved. But by the end of the book you got a little better perspective on why the duckling was so thoughtful. It was an amusing twist and made me smile. This book was funny, but I can't say it's my favorite of the pigeon stories, but I definitely enjoyed i ...more
Victoria Moore
Sep 30, 2014 Victoria Moore rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
"The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? by Mo Willems is a sweet, delightful and hilarous children's book with a distinctive message of how to ask for something then how to share it without any strings attached. Featuring two characters, a duckling and the main protagonist, a pigeon, it also has the feel of a mystery because the person giving the cookie to the duckling is unseen and appears out of nowhere.
Illustrated by Willems also, the simple portrayals provided a wonderful accompaniment to the words
Sarah Sammis
Oct 05, 2012 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? by Mo Willems is the newest Pigeon book. The Duckling, first introduced in The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog, is back, and he has a cookie with chips and nuts.

Of course there's no way the Pigeon (who turned nine this year) wants the Duckling to either star in a book or have a delicious cookie. As you can imagine, the Pigeon does everything possible to steal the show and the cookie.

It's a cute book that works well both as a read alone book for level one readers and as a grou
The Library Lady
Aug 18, 2012 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Love it, love it, love it. Duckling makes a perfect foil for Pigeon and the final punch line is PERFECT. Willems shows here his talent for duos he's been showcasing in "Elephant and Piggy" books.

Lots more like this, please, Mo, and lots less sentimental "Love You Forever" twaddle like Knuffle Bunny Free.
Lu Benke
Mar 11, 2013 Lu Benke rated it really liked it
How can Willems capture that many emotions in so few lines? The juxtaposition of size of the characters and the basically motionless duck vs. the over-wraught pigeon is pure hilarity, not to mention the deft, swoop-of-a-pen changing of the one eye of each character. You could have fun having kids just play with conveying emotion through drawing of eyes. Here's a surprise: one of the subject headings is "etiquette!"
Hannah Cobb
May 19, 2012 Hannah Cobb rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
The duckling gets a cookie? Just by asking? This is unfair! The pigeon has asked for all kinds of things--to stay up late, to drive the bus (it doesn't even have to be a big bus!), and to have a hot dog party. Ducklings get everything.
This is another lively, amusing Willem's masterpiece, focused on the themes of courtesy, sharing, and kindness.
Joan
Jul 21, 2012 Joan rated it it was amazing
The pigeon simply doesn't learn (thank goodness!). Throwing a temper tantrum will not get him a cookie. The duckling has figured out a magic way to get a cookie. Not only that but he gave his cookie to Pigeon and politely asked for another cookie for himself. Slightly heavy handed in the message but so much fun no one will care!
Apr 05, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
Not my favorite Pigeon book, but I still think that I will enjoy sharing this with the kids at storytime. I see an all Pigeon books storytime in my future. And, this is a no-brain companion to Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog...
Leigh
Jun 06, 2013 Leigh rated it did not like it
I loved Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, that was hysterical. But Pigeon is getting obnoxious with his kvetching and sulking.
Kipi
Apr 03, 2012 Kipi rated it it was amazing
Oh, how I love Mo Willems! This time Duckling models manners and friendship to Pigeon...with a cute little wink at the end. ;)
Carol
Apr 15, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it
I am not typically a fan of the Pigeon books. However, this one made me laugh out loud! My 5-year-old also enjoyed it.
Carly
Not my favorite of Mo's work, but still enjoyable. I love Pigeon's facial expressions when he goes off on his rants.
Melissa
Sep 21, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Any Pigeon book gets 5 stars. I love Pigeon's exhaustive list of things he has asked for and not gotten.
Book Sliders: The Duckling Gets a Cookie?! by Mo Willems {April 2013} 1 1 Apr 02, 2013 12:49PM
  • Z Is for Moose
  • A Pet for Petunia
  • Good News, Bad News
  • What To Do If an Elephant Stands On Your Foot
  • It's a Tiger!
  • Two for One (Bink & Gollie, #2)
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r
More about Mo Willems...

Pigeon (8 books)
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!
  • The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
  • The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too!
  • The Pigeon Loves Things That Go!
  • The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!
  • The Pigeon Needs a Bath!