Start by marking “The Art and Politics of Science” as Want to Read:
The Art and Politics of Science

The Art and Politics of Science

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A PhD candidate in English literature at Harvard University, Harold Varmus discovered he was drawn instead to medicine and eventually found himself at the forefront of cancer research at the University of California, San Francisco. In this “timely memoir of a remarkable career” (American Scientist), Varmus considers a life’s work that thus far includes not only the groundb ...more
Published May 24th 2010 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published January 25th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Art and Politics of Science, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art and Politics of Science

A.
Loved the first 2/3 of the book. The last half was about Harold Varmus' career and was not as interesting. It is a good read because it shows how someone interested in writing can end up in a completely different career - research scientist. There is quite a bit of science in it but he explains it plainly. He is an excellent writer. The gist of it is how scientists solve questions. The back story is a man and his wife and children who are following their dreams.
Michael
A great memoir from one of the outstanding scientists of our day (a Nobel prize winner, the former NIH Director, and the current Director of the National Cancer Institute). What I liked is that it's not only a biography of Dr. Varmus and his Nobel prize-winning discovery of proto-oncogenes. But the book also covers his experience in running the NIH, and the important work he's done to foster open source publishing in science and improved global health.
Davie
Very intrigued by people who go from the arts to the sciences (or vice versa). Also curious how he got the US govt to double the NIH budget and whether he might do something similarly science-friendly now that he's part of Obama's administration...

Vaguely pertinent to my current NRSA attempt, and therefore a valid form of procrastination during typing breaks :)

To do: finish the cancer lab and future policy sections...
Terry
Aug 07, 2009 Terry rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Terry by: Economist.com
Shelves: biographies, science
I feel like I'm punishing the author for having a rather dull interesting life. There are no epic successes or failures but a narrative of competence and ability. I kept reading hoping for some stunning revelation and there was quite little. The time on Sloan Kettering was short and there was little insider information that gave one the feeling of having seen great secrets.

Meh.
Nancy
Apr 10, 2009 Nancy marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, science
Another book I could not get traction on. It is due back at the library and I won't be going to the effort to take it out again. I only got to page 46 so don't feel it is fair to rate it at all. I'd hoped someone with both a science and literary background would write something that grabbed the reader more. Maybe that happens sometime after page 46....
Ken Roebuck
As an NIH scientific administrator I found this book quite revealing and would recommend it to anyone interested in a scientific career in academia or goverment to give you a behind-the-scences look at NIH science policy. The section on the controversial naming of the AIDS virus was particulary facinating for me since I worked on HIV in the '90s.
Ghostneuron
Quite interesting for me, especially the discovery of oncogenes, well written, no wonder he was trained on literature before, a versatile man with broad talent: science, literature, medicine, politics, which are coined in the title"the art and politics of science" Many people try to bring science and art together, this''s not a bad one.
Mindy
Aug 30, 2012 Mindy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by Jeff Tamblyn (lunch at Cafe Tempo Aug/2012)
Laura Inzer
Incredible! Worth the time. Simply amazing.
Jahan
Lets see what he does now at the NCI... I didn't know that he was a force behind pubmed central and PLOS.
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Thiago B-b
Thiago B-b marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Marek
Marek marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Majo
Majo marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Manas Gupta
Manas Gupta marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Manish Kumar
Manish Kumar marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Joe Callingham
Joe Callingham marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Alejandro Flores sánchez
Alejandro Flores sánchez is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2014
Leang-chung Choh
Leang-chung Choh marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
  • Blood Matters: A Journey Along the Genetic Frontier
  • Einstein's Mistakes: The Human Failings of Genius
  • Unscientific America: How Scientific Illiteracy Threatens our Future
  • Creating Capabilities: The Human Development Approach
  • Nature's Building Blocks: An A-Z Guide to the Elements
  • The Truth About the Drug Companies: How They Deceive Us and What to Do About It
  • Isaiah Berlin: A Life
  • Better Than Well: American Medicine Meets the American Dream
  • Cathedrals of Science: The Personalities and Rivalries That Made Modern Chemistry
  • Advice To A Young Scientist
  • The Thing Itself: On the Search for Authenticity
  • Strange Beauty: Murray Gell-Mann and the Revolution in Twentieth-Century Physics
  • Darwin's Origin of the Species: A Biography
  • The Hidden Europe: What Eastern Europeans Can Teach Us
  • Local Knowledge: Further Essays In Interpretive Anthropology
  • Fatal Invention: How Science, Politics, and Big Business Re-create Race in the Twenty-First Century
  • Natural Obsessions: The Search for the Oncogene
  • The Calculus of Friendship: What a Teacher and a Student Learned about Life While Corresponding about Math
Genes and the Biology of Cancer (Scientific American Library Series, No. 42) Readings in Tumor Virology