Start by marking “The Art and Politics of Science” as Want to Read:
The Art and Politics of Science

The Art and Politics of Science

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A PhD candidate in English literature at Harvard University, Harold Varmus discovered he was drawn instead to medicine and eventually found himself at the forefront of cancer research at the University of California, San Francisco. In this “timely memoir of a remarkable career” (American Scientist), Varmus considers a life’s work that thus far includes not only the groundb ...more
Published May 24th 2010 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published January 25th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Art and Politics of Science, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art and Politics of Science

A.
Loved the first 2/3 of the book. The last half was about Harold Varmus' career and was not as interesting. It is a good read because it shows how someone interested in writing can end up in a completely different career - research scientist. There is quite a bit of science in it but he explains it plainly. He is an excellent writer. The gist of it is how scientists solve questions. The back story is a man and his wife and children who are following their dreams.
Michael
A great memoir from one of the outstanding scientists of our day (a Nobel prize winner, the former NIH Director, and the current Director of the National Cancer Institute). What I liked is that it's not only a biography of Dr. Varmus and his Nobel prize-winning discovery of proto-oncogenes. But the book also covers his experience in running the NIH, and the important work he's done to foster open source publishing in science and improved global health.
Davie
Very intrigued by people who go from the arts to the sciences (or vice versa). Also curious how he got the US govt to double the NIH budget and whether he might do something similarly science-friendly now that he's part of Obama's administration...

Vaguely pertinent to my current NRSA attempt, and therefore a valid form of procrastination during typing breaks :)

To do: finish the cancer lab and future policy sections...
Terry
Aug 07, 2009 Terry rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Terry by: Economist.com
Shelves: biographies, science
I feel like I'm punishing the author for having a rather dull interesting life. There are no epic successes or failures but a narrative of competence and ability. I kept reading hoping for some stunning revelation and there was quite little. The time on Sloan Kettering was short and there was little insider information that gave one the feeling of having seen great secrets.

Meh.
Nancy
Apr 10, 2009 Nancy marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, science
Another book I could not get traction on. It is due back at the library and I won't be going to the effort to take it out again. I only got to page 46 so don't feel it is fair to rate it at all. I'd hoped someone with both a science and literary background would write something that grabbed the reader more. Maybe that happens sometime after page 46....
Ken Roebuck
As an NIH scientific administrator I found this book quite revealing and would recommend it to anyone interested in a scientific career in academia or goverment to give you a behind-the-scences look at NIH science policy. The section on the controversial naming of the AIDS virus was particulary facinating for me since I worked on HIV in the '90s.
Ghostneuron
Quite interesting for me, especially the discovery of oncogenes, well written, no wonder he was trained on literature before, a versatile man with broad talent: science, literature, medicine, politics, which are coined in the title"the art and politics of science" Many people try to bring science and art together, this''s not a bad one.
Mindy
Aug 30, 2012 Mindy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by Jeff Tamblyn (lunch at Cafe Tempo Aug/2012)
Laura Inzer
Incredible! Worth the time. Simply amazing.
Jahan
Lets see what he does now at the NCI... I didn't know that he was a force behind pubmed central and PLOS.
Nic Mcphee
Nic Mcphee marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
HIFZS
HIFZS marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Linda Rittelmann
Linda Rittelmann marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Travis
Travis marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Stacey
Stacey is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2015
Gretchen
Gretchen marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Tonya
Tonya added it
May 31, 2015
Di Tian
Di Tian is currently reading it
Mar 14, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
  • Blood Matters: A Journey Along the Genetic Frontier
  • The Beginner's Guide To Winning The Nobel Prize: A Life In Science
  • Einstein's Mistakes: The Human Failings of Genius
  • Unscientific America: How Scientific Illiteracy Threatens our Future
  • Something Incredibly Wonderful Happens: Frank Oppenheimer and the world he made up
  • Nature's Building Blocks: An A-Z Guide to the Elements
  • Isaiah Berlin: A Life
  • Cathedrals of Science: The Personalities and Rivalries That Made Modern Chemistry
  • The Thing Itself: On the Search for Authenticity
  • Advice To A Young Scientist
  • The Truth About the Drug Companies: How They Deceive Us and What to Do About It
  • Better Than Well: American Medicine Meets the American Dream
  • Dark Banquet: Blood and the Curious Lives of Blood-Feeding Creatures
  • "So What Are You Going to Do with That?": Finding Careers Outside Academia
  • Strange Beauty: Murray Gell-Mann and the Revolution in Twentieth-Century Physics
  • Darwin's Origin of the Species: A Biography
  • The Art of Scientific Investigation
  • Creating Capabilities: The Human Development Approach
Genes and the Biology of Cancer (Scientific American Library Series, No. 42) Readings in Tumor Virology