Start by marking “Simple Gifts: Lessons in Living from a Shaker Village” as Want to Read:
Simple Gifts: Lessons in Living from a Shaker Village

Simple Gifts: Lessons in Living from a Shaker Village

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  58 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
In Simple Gifts, June Sprigg tells the story of one of America's last Shaker communities--Canterbury Shaker Village, in Canterbury, New Hampshire--during its twilight years, and of its seven remarkable "survivor" women, who were among the last representatives of our longest-lived and best-known communal utopian society. As a college student Sprigg spent a summer among them ...more
Published June 7th 1999 by Vintage (first published May 19th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Simple Gifts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simple Gifts

The Great Divorce by Ilyon WooThe Visionist by Rachel UrquhartA Shaker Family Album by David R. StarbuckShaker Communities, Shaker Lives by Priscilla J. BrewerShaker Run by Karen Harper
Shakers
7th out of 26 books — 1 voter
Little Women by Louisa May AlcottThe Enchanted April by Elizabeth von ArnimThe Hunt for Red October by Tom ClancyLight in August by William FaulknerThe Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman
Months of the year
171st out of 179 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristen
Nov 21, 2013 Kristen rated it it was ok
Over summer break from college, the author worked in a Shaker community for the summer of 1972 as a tour guide. This book is her account of that time. Worthwhile in that this is likely the last account of a living Shaker community from someone who directly observed it, and what's more, observed it shortly before the community went extinct. Frustrating in that for all the uniqueness of that experience, the woman can't write.
Nate
This book is an amazing example of how lazy writing can butcher even the most fascinating of experiences. June Sprigg, who got to spend a summer with the Shakers, regurgitates that time with almost no emotion or depth.

The Shakers, a religious group started in the 1700s that has historically been known for their compassion, craftsmanship, and celibacy, are now (basically) extinct. Sprigg's time spent during the last few years of this community was extremely special and rare, and it's sad that her
Cindy
Mar 20, 2011 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
Very sweet and enjoyable. Slow to read but I learned a lot. Good descriptive writing.

"August - Mildred's garden reached a new crescendo of glory as the days began to grow shorter rivaled by the wild beauty of the roadside. Constellations of small purple asters appeared in both places. Goldenrod drifted over the fields. The sky itself changed now, no more the soft, hazy blue of June; it grew sharper and deeper, more keenly blue. Every day twilight came maybe sixty or seventy heartbeats sooner."

Gr
Marty
Mar 23, 2016 Marty rated it it was amazing
Nice little book, take the time read it. The world could really use some shaker common sense these days.
Diane
Dec 13, 2012 Diane rated it liked it
Sprigg's memoir of how she first lived with the Canterbury Shakers during a summer while she was a college student. It is both a coming of age story, and also an explanation of how Sprigg became a shaker scholar. She doesn't offer many insights about her personal life, but she does show how a young person could be attracted to the older Shaker sisters and to the kind of family and commnity offered by Shaker societies.
Marykickel
Oct 02, 2008 Marykickel rated it really liked it
I wish I had the opportunity that June Sprigg writes about in this book. I'm glad I got to live vicariously through her writing. Just when I need a break from a culture obsessed with youth, beauty, material goods and superfluous things, I read this memoir of summer spent with seven remaining Shaker sisters in the New Hampshire community. I love this book.
Liddy Barlow
Mar 07, 2008 Liddy Barlow rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion, memoir, 1999
Absolutely fantastic -- a culture I've always been interested in, a writer who really remembers being nineteen, and a lot of great things to think about: "I saw that goodness could be a brave moral choice, not a mere refuge for the faint of heart." Marred only by a few infelicitous phrases. [Reviewed in the "book journal" I kept throughout 1999.]
Susan
Sep 17, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this very much. After visiting Canterbury Shaker Village last month, I remembered that this book had been sitting in the bookcase for a long time. I think I started it once before, but didn't finish it. If you have a special interest in the Shakers, or have visited the Village in NH, you'll enjoy this.
Paula
Sep 27, 2010 Paula rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-on-blog
Lovely little memoir about a girl who worked summers as a tour guide at one of the last operative Shaker villages in the country. I loved how she described the surviving sisters as 'extra grandmothers.' Quick read -- very uplifting!
Anne Enste
Sep 15, 2013 Anne Enste rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having visited the Canterbury Shaker Village just one week before reading this I found it just wonderful.
Linda
Aug 28, 2008 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fic
Very interesting account of life among the last remaining Shakers.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
June spends a summer with the last of the Shakers
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Ruth
Ruth rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Susie
Susie marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Willy Williams
Willy Williams rated it it was ok
Mar 16, 2016
code name brindelle
code name brindelle marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Janet
Janet rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Stacey
Stacey rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Deb Lewis
Deb Lewis marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Mel
Mel rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Laura added it
Sep 14, 2015
Alisia
Alisia rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2015
Jo
Jo rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2015
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2015
Karen Galloway
Karen Galloway rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2015
Cheri' Sadler
Cheri' Sadler marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015