Start by marking “Bruxa e Detetive (Rachel Morgan, #2)” as Want to Read:
Bruxa e Detetive (Rachel Morgan, #2)

Bruxa e Detetive (The Hollows #2)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  43,514 ratings  ·  1,375 reviews
A vida é dura para a jovem Rachel Morgan. Caçadora de prémios por profissão e bruxa por vocação, o seu trabalho é percorrer as ruas perigosas de Hollows atrás de criaturas sobrenaturais que ameacem os habitantes mais inocentes e vulneráveis.

Sensual e independente, a jovem consegue lidar com vampiros vestidos de cabedal e até escapar ao ocasional demónio, mas um assassino e
Published June 2011 by Grupo Saída de Emergência (first published January 25th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Bruxa e Detetive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bruxa e Detetive

Jessica ❁ Elsecaller ❁ at Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

If I still had any doubts about The Hollows when I finished the Dead Witch Walking, The Good, the Bad, and the Undead laid them to rest.

Book 2 begins with Rachel and Jenks in the middle of a run. Several months has passed since the first bookended, and without a death threat hanging over her head, Rachel is free to pursue her new career as an independent runner. Nick is now officially Rachel's boyfriend, and the roommate situation with Ivy seems to have calmed down now th
Robin Wiley
I've read most of the majors in this genre: Stoker, Rice, Harrison, Harris, King, Hamilton, Meyer, Newman, and Kostova. I've seen Blade, Underworld, Buffy, Angel, Van Helsing, 30 Days of Night, Moonlight and Dark Shadows (not saying they are all good, mind you). So, I think I've consumed enough of the vampire genre to have some opinions.

My theory about Twilight. People with little to no experience with the vampire genre LOVE this series. Most readers who have consumed their fair amount of vampir
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
The second book in the Hollows series is written much better than the haphazard style of Dead Witch Walking. I'm glad I stuck with the series because it's a really unique and interesting one. Firstly, it seems like the author has done with some good editing and slowly interweaves the world building with what is happening at the time, instead of having huge info dumps at random intervals.

Rachel Morgan slowly learns to stand on her own and develop her powers further in this book. As an FIB consul
Jonetta
I got so bogged down by the world building of the first book I put the series on hiatus. This time I switched to the audio format and it turned out to be a brilliant move as the narrator, Marguerite Gavin, gives an inspired performance.

There are many lingering questions from Dead Witch Walking that are resolved in this story (what is Trent, who unleashed the demon on Rachel, who is Ivy really, etc.). And, some I had that are still outstanding but we get more info on, enough to whet the appetite
Robin (Bridge Four)
Rachel Mariana Morgan, you are the character in the movie that I yell at. That I scream at “Don’t go into that empty warehouse! Don’t practice spells you know nothing about! Never talk with Demons!!!” But does she listen NOOOO….No wonder she is always in some sort of crisis.

Rachel isn’t my favorite heroine and normally that would be enough to steer me away from a series but I really enjoy all the other parts of the series. There is enough humor, mystery and other interesting characters to keep m
Laz
Mar 17, 2015 Laz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: urban fantasy lovers
I'll say it again. If you're fan of a good read with amazing characters with snarky retorts and sassy attitudes and you love yourself some action-packed urban fantasy then don't hesitate, do read this. I am most pleased by how this book turned out. It was a nice surprise that it kept getting better than the first novel and I actually liked it even more. Since I gave the first book 5 stars it's only fair that I give this 5 stars as well.

There is a little bit more romance in this one. If you remem
valee
WOW! Just WOW.

This book was so different from the first one. I loved it, I would have given 5 stars to it if it wasn't for that very, VERY slow beginning. I mean, the first half of the book I wanted to burn up the book because nothing really happened. It took me 4 days to read the first half and 1 to read the next.
About that second half, I enjoyed it so much I couldn't stop reading it, even though I was full with work for college.

What I loved the most about this book was that you see Rachel turn
Kristy
Okay this book was a better than the first but it really took me a lot longer than is typical for me to get through the first half of the book. I don't know what Kim Harrison is trying to do in her writing but the first half of her books are really tedious and boring. You make it through it and the second half is interesting, exciting, full of suspence. I wish she'd put as much effort in the first half of her books as she does in the second.

Rachel seems to be a more rounded character in this boo
Meagan
I don't know what exactly it is that Harrison is doing right, but let's exaime. First off I really like the world/universe/dimension (how ever you want to look at it) that she has created. It seems completely plausible in its own way. Plus it mixes in a bit of science with it's fantasy, which is nice. 2. I really enjoy the charecters. They're beleivable and described so well. THe "hero" Rachel Morgan, is that blessed kind that is easy to get addicted to. She has power and connections way beyond ...more
Kribu
Three stars, but a much stronger three stars than what I gave the first book.

There was a little too much vamp-desire going on, and a few too many word choice issues ("a complimentary desert", "the woman is like a cacti", "then" where it should have been "than", etc) that made me stop and raise an eyebrow, to push this into the "really liked it" territory for me yet, but I did enjoy it a great deal - if after the first book I wasn't entirely sure whether I'd want to continue the series or not, t
Lauren
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead
3 Stars

The first book in the series was entertaining enough to continue on to the second, but Rachel and Ivy’s creepy relationship had me putting the book on the back burner halfway through. Nevertheless, a buddy read pulled me back into the story about a year later and I’m grateful to my buddies as the book improved a great deal in the second half.

Harrison’s world building is very engaging. The dichotomy between humans and supernaturals and the distinctions betw
Chandra

Story Rating 4.5 Stars
Character Rating 4.5 Stars
Romance Rating 1.5 Stars
Heat Level 1 Stars
Overall Rating 3 Stars

description

So…I tried to read this one a few different times, and I could never get myself to finish the sample on my Kindle. Well, I finally broke down because I wanted a good paranormal/fantasy read, and I’m super glad I did.
Was the beginning incredibly slow? Yes.
Was the rest of the book worth the horrible beginning? Heck yeah!
description

First, what I didn’t like…
The first 10% of the book.
It was sooooo b
Carly
Book Reaction (not a full review)

Somebody's killing ley line witches, which is probably not a good thing, so the FIB hires Rachel to investigate, despite the fact that even she knows that she has absolutely no aptitude for detective work. Rachel still has her demon-mark, her boyfriend is dabbling in demon magic, and the demon is lurking around and playing the Generically British Evil Tempter, and Trent is behaving even more suspiciously than usual.

I'm still enjoying these books, although I think
Jane Stewart
Heroine’s recklessness and mistakes get her into trouble which is too close to stupidity for me.

If you like to lose yourself in an urban fantasy world, this is a good one. But I want stories where character and plot are the main draws. Here not much happens to support the plot. The setting has a wide variety of paranormals: witches, vampires, pixies, elves, werewolves, and demons. I like the way they live, work, and interact with each other and humans in current day.

My biggest problem is that I
CRO
I'm giving this book 3 1/4 stars - but it didn't start at that level - I had to drag myself through the first third of this book that I definitely consider 2 - 2 1/2 star reading. It's only because I liked the first Hollows book so much that I had the faith to push through so that I could get to the last 2/3 of the book - the last part more than made up for the first.

What I didn't like: Oh God - I hate and deplore the titles of this series - ick - spoofs of movie titles. What is with urban fanta
Deea (Andreea)
*happy sigh* This books makes me happy. One of my favorite endings... And favorite books in the series, period. So much Trent, Kisten AND Al greatness (yes, I am aware of how that sounds). And I LOVE re-reading this at a slower pace and enjoying the ride, especially knowing what I know now...
Marianne
The Hollows continues to intrigue me. This novel was far more action packed than its predecessor. No wonder since the world building is now in place. IMHO the high ratings are well deserved.

In this installment, Rachel is trying to set herself up as an independent runner, but for the most part failing miserably. She continually gets stiffed by her employers. Nearly broke, she accepts a job as a consultant for the FIB. They're trying to solve missing persons report and a string of ley magic relate
Meigan
I see now why this series has such a huge following. This book was worlds better than its predecessor. After reading Dead Witch Walking, I was on the fence about whether or not I would continue this series and I'm glad that I moved on to the second book (and will definitely be finishing the entire series!).

Rachel is pulled in as a consultant for the FIB, helping them on a case where witches are being murdered. Naturally, because of her former IS status, she is not only recognized but also meets
Patrick D'Orazio
I was able to read Dead Witch Walking and this book back to back, allowing for a smooth transition into Rachel's second adventure. She is free of her contract now but still seemingly facing death every day from many different sources: Were's who want their property back that she stole, Trent Kalamack, who she suspects is once again the bad guy in her main case, Piscary, one of the oldest and most powerful vamps in the city, her human boyfriend who can't seem to resist the urge to keep summoning ...more
Ashleigh Cartmill
Tammy ~Witching Hour Reads~
What can I say about The Good the Bad & the Undead, it was fantastic, it had it all, witches, vamps, pixies, demons, action, fight scenes, an amazing sex scene what else could you ask for, I'm a bit biased because witches are my go to books. This second instalment in The Hollows series is worth the read.

Rachel Morgan earth witch, ex IS runner turned bounty hunter is back after surviving a death threat now trying to make the rent while living in a church with her business partner Ivy a livin
Lizzy
This was a satisfying read to address many of the questions I had running through my head from book one. Be forewarned, if you are an impatient reader, then you may find this book frustrating. This is another relatively long book and most of the juicy story action doesn’t transpire until later on. I’m coming around to like Rachel a little more and I am enjoying this series.
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
I'm enjoying the series itself: the plots are great, writing is even better, and the audio narrator does an excellent job. My issue is that I dislike Rachel so much. Hopefully that will change.
★ʜɑʋɘɳ★
I liked the book okay, and would give this 3 Stars.............. if Rachel just weren't so bloody stupid. She is so darn idiotic and incompetent that it's painful to read at times.
Tara Day
The action jumps right in on this one. The stakes are higher, the bad guys are badder, and the romance is hotter. Though this is not one of my favorites in the series, obviously it's still not a bad book since I gave it five stars. The only reason it's not a favorite of mine is because I think Rachel is wee bit hypocritical as she narrates through this one and her impatience with certain things becomes a bit irritating. Nevertheless, she proves to be her badass and yet naive self and it's a very ...more
Maria
The second book in this series by Kim Harrison is as good as the first one. It’s not easy for an urban fantasy series to have such unusual world-building and to keep reader’s interest all the time. I really have this feeling that there are too many things that I don’t know about the history of the main characters and I can’t wait to find all their secrets!

Nothing is easy for Rachel in this story. Someone’s killing witches, demons, werewolves and vampires are after her and there are too many myst
Natasha
Another amazing edition to the Hollow series. This is the second installment in the series and I loved it! The characters are pretty much the same but there's a few new ones also. I'm hooked in The Hollows world. Kim has proven herself to be very well versed in mythology, lore and all different kinds of religion. I love how she writes, and her books have a great amount of action and mystery and a bit a romance. When I picked Dead Witch Walking a while ago, I haven't even heard all the hype befor ...more
Matt Schiariti
This Hollows series is just an enormous amount of fun to read. As I stated in my review of Dead Witch Walking, Harrison has really created a wildly imaginative universe in such as way that it doesn't feel like a fantasy universe...the intermingling of humans and Inderlanders always have elements of dangers and humor in them that really make this series fun to read..couple that with fantastic characters and interesting plot/ongoing subplots and you have something that's really addicting...

a few m
Continuing The Hollows 4 15 May 28, 2015 09:08AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: * The Good, The Bad and the Undead 29 11 Feb 02, 2015 09:18AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question #19 18 7 Feb 02, 2015 09:00AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question #17 5 6 Jan 31, 2015 05:49AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question #16 4 6 Jan 31, 2015 05:45AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question #18 8 5 Jan 31, 2015 05:44AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question #14 5 5 Jan 31, 2015 05:40AM
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Silver-Tongued Devil (Sabina Kane, #4)
  • Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer, #4)
  • Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, #4)
  • Dead Man Rising (Dante Valentine, #2)
  • Touch of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #5)
  • Late Eclipses (October Daye #4)
  • Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3)
  • Kitty Goes to War (Kitty Norville, #8)
  • Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2)
  • Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2)
  • Magic in the Blood (Allie Beckstrom, #2)
Kim Harrison, dark urban fantasy author of the New York Times bestselling Ever After, was born and raised in the upper Midwest. After gaining her bachelors in the sciences, she moved to South Carolina until the lure of snow pulled her back to Michigan When not at her desk, she is most likely to be found landscaping her yard or on the links with her mom.

Kim reaches out to her audience at Facebook h
More about Kim Harrison...

The Hollows (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1)
  • Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3)
  • A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)
  • For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)
  • The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6)
  • White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7)
  • Black Magic Sanction (The Hollows, #8)
  • Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9)
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Ever After (The Hollows, #11)
Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3) For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5) The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6) A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)

“I told you, computers are like women. If you shout at them or ask them to do too many things at once, they shut down and you won't even get a sniff" pg. 4” 232 likes
“Come work for me, and I’ll tell you.”
My eyes went to his. “You are a thief, a cheat, a murderer, and a not-nice man,” I said calmly. “I don’t like you.”
He shrugged, the motion making him look utterly harmless. “I’m not a thief,” he said. “And I don’t mind manipulating you into working for me when I need it.” He smiled, showing me perfect teeth. “I enjoy it, actually.”
92 likes