Start by marking “Hermit's Peak (Kevin Kerney, #4)” as Want to Read:
Hermit's Peak (Kevin Kerney, #4)

Hermit's Peak (Kevin Kerney #4)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  581 ratings  ·  29 reviews
When Kevin Kerney, deputy chief of the New Mexico State Police, inherits an unexpected windfall of 6,400 acres of high-county land, the last thing he wants to think about is work. But while visiting his new property, he comes across an ailing stray dog that leads him to the butchered bones of a murder victim near the rugged mountain of Hermit's Peak. After assigning the ca ...more
Published May 25th 2004 by Pocket Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Hermit's Peak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hermit's Peak

Desert Solitaire by Edward AbbeyDeath Comes for the Archbishop by Willa CatherThe Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbeythe Golden Coin by Dorothy May MercerThe Milagro Beanfield War by John     Nichols
Four Corners Country
187th out of 197 books — 77 voters
A Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonThe Magic Mountain by Thomas MannSoul Mountain by Gao XingjianThe Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories by Ernest HemingwayThe Climb by Anatoli Boukreev
Mountains
108th out of 139 books — 57 voters

More lists with this book...

Maddy
Kevin Kerney is a deputy state police chief in New Mexico. During one of his investigations, he met a woman named Sara Brannon; and they began a relationship. Unfortunately, they were soon to be separated, as Sara was a
major in the military and got posted to Korea where she is responsible for
monitoring North Korean troop activity along and inside the Demilitarized
Zone (DMZ). As the book opens, both Sara and Kevin are on the verge of
realizing some of their fondest dreams. Sara bravely led a u
Liz
I enjoyed Michael McGarrity's first novel in this series enough to pick up the other one the library had when I returned it. This was that book, and though it skipped ahead two books, it was fairly easy to follow the threads from that first book, with many of the same characters and a lot of other similarities. As with the first one, the real star of this book is New Mexico; it is obvious every time he talks about the land, the people, or anything else NM-related that he really knows what the he ...more
Kellie
(#4 of the Kevin Kerney series)- Kerney inherits a bunch of land encompassing Hermit’s Peak. He is exploring his 6,000 + acreage with his friend Dale when they stumble upon a dog with an old shoe in his mouth. Upon further investigation, they discover human bones buried not too far from where they found the dog. The bones are of a young Mexican Indian girl. The murder investigation uncovers poaching forests and a ring of thieves. Could the murderer be amoung the ring? There are several mini plot ...more
Tom Ferguson
With multiple, interlaced story lines, lots of action and some edge of seat tension, this is the best Kevin Kerney detective novel yet. Well developed characters drive the story lines and they face real world issues and seem to react like real world people. I truly enjoyed this fast paced story. Looking forward to reading the next in the series - Under The Color Of Law.
Val
Like the visuals. Read it in a day. Kept me occupied working through which character is essential to which crime going on. Not complicated but cagey enough to keep me interested.
Judi Corona
This book takes place in New Mexico and it is great to visit places I have been. Mr. McGarrity keeps you in suspense.
Ann Chan
It's OK. Worthy one's time of checking it out. Not as good as "The Mexican Hat, "Serpent Gate," and "Slow Kill" by the same author.
Terrance
Great book. McGarrity mixes several story lines together seamlessly
Malia
This one turned out better than I first thought.
Carol
Every book I read in this series gets better and better. Kerney is becoming more real, with strengths and vulnerabilities which only make him more likeable. Gabe was extremely likeable and he was certainly put through the mill emotionally. The way Kerney dealt with the situation showed a degree of ruthlessness I hadn't seen in him before. He did the right thing, not the easy thing and you can only admire a man like that. Roll on the next book!
Debbie Heaton
In McGarrity’s mystery novel, while visiting some high country land he has just inherited, Deputy Chief Kevin Kerney stumbles across the bones of a murder victim near Hermit’s Peak. Before long another body turns up. Kerney will pursue a twisting trail of clues to solve a crime that stuns even him.

Another installment to the A Kevin Kerney Novel series that is authentic, detailed, and gritty.

Mike Ely
An interesting read. The story didn't really captivate me and it bounced around a lot more than I like. It all wrapped up in the end but in a pretty depressing way. This was the first McGarrity book that I read, so I'll give him one more chance.
Judi
"...The greatest strength of this series, is the sense of the Southwest, specifically New Mexico, that McGarrity presents to us. This is further conveyed by his easygoing tone that moves along like a man on a horseback....

My review:
Mark
This is the 2nd McGarrity I've read...I thoroughly enjoyed Judas Judge so I'm going to back-track to the earlier ones...reminds me of the Sanford/Logan Minnesota group so far as characters go...plot along the lines of Raymond Chandler...setting ala Tony Hillerman...worthy reads!!!
Joy
Again, I jumped into a series by getting the book on tape. Kevin Kerney is a police officer as well as a rancher in the high country of New Mexico. Good descriptions of the land, very believable characters, but not a 'gripping' story.
Terry
I had to give this book 5 stars. What a great read!
McGarrity makes you care so much about his characters.
What happened to Gabe Gonzalez was gut wrenching!
Absolutely an amazing story! McGarrity is at the
top of my list!
Jmrathbone
For a town of 13,000 population, there is a huge amount of crime, but never fear, Kevin Kerney is on the job. There is more love interest in this novel, Sara is back.
Ryan Mishap
Don't know what it is but I enjoy these mysteries quite a bit. Oh, wait, it is New Mexico I love! Everything else is standard mystery I guess.
Pamela
This was a fast read--and fast paced. It is almost like an old western--don't ask me why--setting, terse lawman, something.
Ed
Nov 15, 2013 Ed rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Crime fiction and police procedural fans
To be reviewed in detail, later. #4 in the Kevin Kerney series and a good one. Action, sex, heartbreak, pathos.
Sue johnson
I am enjoying this series more with each book. Really looking forward to the next one.
Kelly Lawson

Becoming more and more of a Michael McGarrity fan every day!
Denise
Nov 19, 2012 Denise rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Denise by: Deidre
Shelves: mystery
Mystery set in New Mexico. Nice fast read.
Loy

Really enjoyed this installment
Gypsy Lady
Modern lawman mystery set in New Mexico.
Troy
One of the better books in this series.
Kim
Brett
Apr 14, 2008 Brett added it
Suspense
  • Blue Rodeo
  • Double Prey (Posadas County Mystery, #8)
  • Spirit Sickness
  • Bad Medicine (Ella Clah, #3)
  • White Shell Woman (Charlie Moon, #7)
  • Little Saigon
  • Biting the Moon (Andi Oliver, #1)

Kevin Kerney (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Tularosa (Kevin Kerney, #1)
  • Mexican Hat (Kevin Kerney, #2)
  • Serpent Gate (Kevin Kerney, #3)
  • The Judas Judge (Kevin Kerney, #5)
  • Under the Color of Law (Kevin Kerney, #6)
  • The Big Gamble (Kevin Kerney, #7)
  • Everyone Dies (Kevin Kerney, #8)
  • Slow Kill (Kevin Kerney, #9)
  • Nothing But Trouble (Kevin Kerney, #10)
  • Death Song (Kevin Kearney, #11)
Tularosa (Kevin Kerney, #1) Mexican Hat (Kevin Kerney, #2) Serpent Gate (Kevin Kerney, #3) Hard Country (Kerney Family, #1) Under the Color of Law (Kevin Kerney, #6)