Start by marking “Nothing But Trouble (Kevin Kerney, #10)” as Want to Read:
Nothing But Trouble (Kevin Kerney, #10)

Nothing But Trouble (Kevin Kerney #10)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  393 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Santa Fe Police Chief Kevin Kerney is back in the tenth novel in McGarrity's acclaimed mystery series. Kerney learns of major migrant- and drug-smuggling activities and suspects that a local cop or the ranch manager on his boyhood friend's spread may be involved.
Published December 5th 2006 by NAL (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Nothing But Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing But Trouble

May 14, 2014 Ed rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Crime fiction and Kearny fans.
Not one of McGarrity's best but an interesting read, nevertheless. This is the 10th entry in the Kevin Kearny adventures, all of which have been pretty solid stories.

As background: Kearny is the chief of police in Santa Fe, NM, married to Sara Brannon, a career military woman. In this volume,a sub-plot involving Sara takes up a good part of the story and, in truth, is more interesting than the major plot.

The story begins when Kearny is visited by a high school buddy - a black sheep - who is now
This is the 10th entry in the Kevin Kearny adventures, which up until this book was a fairly solid series. We're all entitled to an "Oops!" now and then so hopefully this isn't the beginning of a trend for this author/series. Kearny is the chief of police in Santa Fe, NM, married to Sara Brannon, a career military woman. In the past books the marriage is somewhat awkward as Sara spends little time in New Mexico but I guess it allows Kevin to appear "normal" while fighting crime and provides the ...more
Mark Edlund
Mystery series
McGarrity continues his Kerney series with another arc with his wife's military woes. An old school friend gets Kerney (just before retirement) involved in movie production and, of course, stumbles on more than he bargained for. Meanwhile, wife Sarah chases a Canadian crook to Ireland.
Lots of Canadian references - lady hikes in Canadian Rockies; deserter is hiding in Canada; French Canadian suspect in Toronto; presentation by a Canadian writer in Ireland; Vancouver reference; Nova
This is two separate plots stitched together to make one novel, not very successfully. Plot number one involving Kerney's wife and a special military op was moderately interesting. Plot number two involving Kerney himself as a movie consultant could have been interesting but wasn't. Plot number one also left Kerney's wife in serious predicament, which I assumed would be resolved at the end, but wasn't, giving the whole book the feeling that the author didn't quite know how to handle his own stor ...more
Michael McGarrity writes police procedurals set in New Mexico. His style is low-key, with realistic action, believable characters, and good dialogue. I like his moral, masculine, tough cowboy-type main character, though this particular book wasn't my favorite of the Kevin Kerney series. It was almost as if there were two plots--one revolving around police chief Kerney who has been asked to be a technical adviser on the set of a western movie taking place at the ranch of an old friend near the Me ...more
Brinn Colenda
This is the seventh book I have read of Michael McGarrity's Kevin Kearny series. It is the best so far-- and by far. McGarrity is an ex-cop and an ex-rancher. Both show through and through this book, set mostly in southern New Mexico. His descriptions of the landscapes are breathtaking and show his passion for the land. Readers can absorb much about both the land and the culture of this almost-not-a-state through McGarrity's books.

Kearny, the Santa Fe police chief, embarks on an investigation ne
NOTHING BUT TROUBLE (Police Proc-New Mexico-Cont) – DNF
McGarrity, Michael – 10th book
Onyx, 2005- US Paperback – 0451412281
*** Santa Fe Police Chief Kevin Kerney is persuaded, by a childhood friend, to take the job of technical advisor for a film. But Kevin soon finds himself involved in a murder investigation that may tie into the smuggling of illegal immigrants and organized crime.
*** Having read to page 120 with very little having happened except three occasions of appalling bad sentence struc
#10 in the Kevin Kerney series.

#10 - Kevin Kerney signs on as police technical advisor for a movie being shot in the NM bootheel. He plans to have his wife and son with him but winds up being a single parent as wife, Lt Col Sara Brannon, is sent on a mission to Ireland and winds up at odds with her CO. Meanwhile Kevin encounters an odd Federal law enforcement effort near the movie location.
I heard the audio version of this, so it difficult to say what happened when in the length of the book. In the first few discs, in my case, not much happened - Kerney was a film adviser. The set up was he was helping his old "friend"; I assumed this meant something bad would happen involving his old friend getting into trouble...nope. Eventually there was a plot line involving the death of a border agent, and then randomly out of nowhere a whole new plot developed involving Kerney's wife and an ...more
Tom Gorski
While I do enjoy McGarrity's series this one, containing two separate plots involving Kevin Kerney and Sara Brannon separately, was a bit disjointed. Unlike his other books which, while connected, can be read as a stand alone this one is more serial like and requires the next two books for completion.
Jul 24, 2015 Sherry added it
This book was interesting. Heavy on the family stuff but had a very good side story involving Kevin Kerney’s wife, Sara. Set in the boot heel of New Mexico, it included the filming of a movie, human trafficking, murder and moving stolen merchandise. Good read.
Feb 05, 2014 Pat rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Good, recommended by Joanie.
2 stories, 1 involves husband, 2nd involves wife.
Ireland is secondary setting.
Southwest US is primary setting.
Mystery, intrigue, family story.
All nicely tied together.
Not the best of the series.
I picked this up as an audio book from the library's withdrawn item sale. I was somewhat disappointed; the story seemed to start well enough, although the characters seemed a little cartoonish to me. But the book diverged into two very separate plot lines and resolved sort of abruptly and, it felt, incompletely. The feeling I had as I listened to this was that the author almost has ideas for two books, but not enough ideas to make complete novels, so he sort of awkwardly wove two story lines int ...more
John Freeman
Found a hardback copy in a local thrift store for only $1.50 and as a bonus, there was a nice leather bookmark inside.

Nothing but Trouble was a nice break between the heavier reading I've charged myself with. A change of pace from the other Kevin Kerney novels, as his wife, Sara, gets half the novel's space as she goes to Ireland to solve an old Army crime.

Fans of McGarrity will enjoy.
Meh. Disjointed and with several unnecessary and confusing plot twists. I really enjoy the Kearney series, but this one felt more like a 'contract' book...the ' owe us an xx page novel by August...' one. Either that, or he wrote a book half again as long and had to slash a third of the 'real' book.
Janet Ellner
For a Michael McGarrity/Kevin Kearney easy read, this was a good one. A little tension and intrigue is added by way of a side-story involving the sabotage of his military wife's career by her superior. Unfortunately, that angle is left hanging, and, as far as I know, sequels don't resolve it.
Cheryle Fisher
Blech! I'm always on the lookout for new mystery novelists, but this won't be one of them. It started out with an interesting plot line, but went off on a totally separate parallel plot line that was not remotely interesting that confusingly never hooked up with the first plot line.

this was like a short story combined with the second half of the last book shoved together. The first couple of chapters and the last couple of chapters told a simple story while the middle section of the book took place elsewhere and finished up the previous Kevin Kearney book.
Two mysteries in one book. Both Kerney and his wife are dealing with their own investigations in this enty in the series. Highly intriguing and enjoyable. I love this series.
No offense to McGarrity but I found this one pretty damn dull. I think the well onthis New Mexico mystery series has run dry on me.
This was the first one I had read in thtis series, but it is #10. Think I didn't know enough of what went on beforehand.

I think this one of the best ones.
I have all the other kevin Kearney

Glena Muncrief
McGarrity keeps me reading, but I think I need a break after one more!
Jeremy Mccool
Good cop fiction. Fun ride. Cheesy writing, but lots of good information.
Gypsy Lady
Modern lawman mystery set in New Mexico.
Very readable, but not one of his best.
A new author for me, pretty good - I enjoyed it
Patricia Eichenlaub
Not one of his better books.
  • Blue Rodeo
  • Enemy Way (Ella Clah, #4)
  • Camelback Falls
  • Dead Soul (Charlie Moon, #8)
  • The Laws of Harmony
  • Little Saigon
  • The Bookwoman's Last Fling (Cliff Janeway, #5)
  • Dakota (Andi Oliver, #2)

Kevin Kerney (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Tularosa (Kevin Kerney, #1)
  • Mexican Hat (Kevin Kerney, #2)
  • Serpent Gate (Kevin Kerney, #3)
  • Hermit's Peak (Kevin Kerney, #4)
  • The Judas Judge (Kevin Kerney, #5)
  • Under the Color of Law (Kevin Kerney, #6)
  • The Big Gamble (Kevin Kerney, #7)
  • Everyone Dies (Kevin Kerney, #8)
  • Slow Kill (Kevin Kerney, #9)
  • Death Song (Kevin Kearney, #11)